2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 48 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 47 48
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pete14
James, I noticed you did not comment on my comments.

Yes, that’s because they were mostly nonsense.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks, James.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks, maurus.....for thanking James.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I bought my ES-110 about 3 months ago when one magically showed up at Sam Ash in Hollywood. I had waited over 2 months for an online store (or anywhere) to locate one. I'm very happy with the action. I had previously bought (and returned) the new Casio PXS-3000. That action was horribly heavy and fatiguing, and it actually HURT to play it more than 15 minutes. I can play the ES-110 for hours straight with no fatigue, and it's inspiring to play. And it weighs 25 pounds; and I bought the Casio Privia bag for it (I might switch that to the heavier / more sturdy Kawai bag, the Casio one arrived from the online store when the 110 did not...). This is about the "upper limit" for public transportation schlepping (NYC, if it's ever safe to go back there; La La Land for the moment [much less crowded subways..]).

Having read this entire post, as to the action on the 520, if it's heavier, I don't want it. And the extra 2.5 kilos would be a schlep-killer. I do want audio-in, but I see no reason why I cannot implement that myself (warranty issues aside). I also own the MP-11 (although it's 3000 miles away presently). I see no reason to turn it in for the MP-11se. The one really cool thing the Casio PXS-3000 had was Bluetooth IN. So, one could play along with YouTube videos and hear the result through the internal speakers. The better speakers on the 520 would be of interest. Whether or not they outshine my 9 pound Vox keyboard amp is unknown, but I have to schlep a separate amp anyway (for busking). And it's easier to schlep 34 pounds if those pounds are not all in one item, if that makes sense.

I'll try one in the store if / when it arrives. But if the above report of $1400 is accurate, I'll probably stick with my 110.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
N
N
Hi James, thanks for the info!

In your first post you mentioned that (vs. ES8) the RHIII action has been improved (Key switches? what are key switches?) and that the acoustic piano sounds have been improved.

It would be great to know exactly what these two sets of improvements consisted in before I think about purchasing one over an ES8.

Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by magicpiano
IMHO there are no incredible benefits in upgrading from an ES110 to an ES520.

This is a strange comment. Compared to the ES110, the ES520 offers: a superior keyboard action, superior piano sounds, superior non-piano sounds, a larger number of sounds, more powerful amp/speaker system, larger (more intuitive) control panel, OLED display, Bluetooth Audio, Line In, USB to Host/USB to Device connectivity, GFP-3 pedal support, and PianoRemote app support.[...]
You have decontextualized my post. My comment was referring to the rintincop one. I think FOR HIM there are no incredible benefits in upgrading from an ES110 to an ES520.

But, generally speaking, I think the actual prices of the ES520 make this device not yet convenient. IMHO 2x the price of the ES110 is a little too much, considering that with a very little more you can buy an MP7SE that is a product on a completely different level... I know the MP7SE is already on the market from 3 years, but it's always a great product, undeniably better than the "intermediate" ES520.

P.S.: I hope afer this post Kawai doesn't raise the prices of the MP7SE... laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can’t say I’m happy about this, for I invested many hours researching, investigating, and deconstructing the available data in order to form an objective devoid of any subjective.

It seems like you’ve paid more attention to ‘anecdotal’ perspectives rather than the highly scientific and objective research presented by yours truly.

You are not even worthy of Our time, you, little traitor of Our noble House!

[Linked Image]

laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
But, generally speaking, I think the actual prices of the ES520 make this device not yet convenient. IMHO 2x the price of the ES110 is a little too much, considering that with a very little more you can buy an MP7SE that is a product on a completely different level... I know the MP7SE is already on the market from 3 years, but it's always a great product, undeniably better than the "intermediate" ES520.

You don't know anything. The MP7SE doesn't have amplification, doesn't have speakers, doesn't have a furniture stand with three pedals built in available, doesn't have a acrylic glass music stand. It's more complicated to operate and it's heavier due to its rugged case.

It's a product for an entirely different market: aimed at pros, while the ES520 is aimed at beginners.

Yamaha P-515
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JoeT
You don't know anything. The MP7SE doesn't have amplification, doesn't have speakers, doesn't have a furniture stand with three pedals built in available, doesn't have a acrylic glass music stand. It's more complicated to operate and it's heavier due to its rugged case.

It's a product for an entirely different market: aimed at pros, while the ES520 is aimed at beginners.

For a contrary view, consider that I am a professional musician, own the REALLY heavy MP-11 (no, I don't take it to gigs!), and just bought the ES-110... FOR GIGGING, a/k/a professional use (as well as home practice).

Previously, I used my 24 pound Casio PXS5 for gigs. The MP7 is nearly 50 pounds, quite heavy to schlep for gigs (although my longtime pianist (when I gig on saxophone) brings his MP6. But, this is with a station wagon and dolly.

"Weight matters" - unless one has roadies....

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Yes, that’s because they were mostly nonsense.

Cheers,
James
x

Classic laugh You made my day. And James ended it like a pro with a "Cheers":

[Linked Image]

So Pete14 you fell into your own trap. Can't stop laughing about what you did to yourself.

Last edited by Abdol; 09/22/20 02:13 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't know anything.
As usual, you are always very kind and polite. What a pleasure talking with you! laugh
The MP7SE doesn't have amplification, doesn't have speakers, doesn't have a furniture stand with three pedals built in available, doesn't have a acrylic glass music stand. It's more complicated to operate and it's heavier due to its rugged case.

It's true that the MP series is aimed at pro users, but that doesn't mean you cannot use it at your home. I know many people that use MP7/11SE products as home digital pianos and they are very happy. The fact they are sturdier and heavier it's a good thing for an home use where usually you place the piano inside a room and there it stays. IMHO their user interface is very easy to operate and you can make real-time changes not possible (or more difficult to achieve) with the control panel / user interface of other Kawai DPs.

Slab piano internal speakers don't sound very good to my ears. Usually, they lack in very high and very low frequencies, so their sound is always somehow mid-rangey. Therefore, to me it's not a tragedy if there are no internal speakers... I bet most home users use headphones to not disturb others. And you can always add some good monitor speakers to make the DP sound better than any internal speaker system.

The argument about the furniture stand and the glassy music stand is very... Weak... They are not the main reason to buy an ES520...

And pro or beginner doesn't matter. If I can allow a better product today, I'll buy the better product today, even if I'm a beginner, being that a better instrument (better action, better piano engine, etc.) facilitates learning for the beginner and gives more satisfaction to the expert.

So, if I need an home digital piano and with just 200euros more I can buy an MP7SE, personally I would buy the MP7SE rather than the ES520. Of course, that's just my opinion and you are free to disagree (of course, always with your usual politeness).

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
You don't know anything.
As usual, you are always very kind and polite. What a pleasure talking with you! laugh
The MP7SE doesn't have amplification, doesn't have speakers, doesn't have a furniture stand with three pedals built in available, doesn't have a acrylic glass music stand. It's more complicated to operate and it's heavier due to its rugged case.

It's true that the MP series is aimed at pro users, but that doesn't mean you cannot use it at your home. I know many people that use MP7/11SE products as home digital pianos and they are very happy. The fact they are sturdier and heavier it's a good thing for an home use where usually you place the piano inside a room and there it stays. IMHO their user interface is very easy to operate and you can make real-time changes not possible (or more difficult to achieve) with the control panel / user interface of other Kawai DPs.

Slab piano internal speakers don't sound very good to my ears. Usually, they lack in very high and very low frequencies, so their sound is always somehow mid-rangey. Therefore, to me it's not a tragedy if there are no internal speakers... I bet most home users use headphones to not disturb others. And you can always add some good monitor speakers to make the DP sound better than any internal speaker system.

The argument about the furniture stand and the glassy music stand is very... Weak... They are not the main reason to buy an ES520...

And pro or beginner doesn't matter. If I can allow a better product today, I'll buy the better product today, even if I'm a beginner, being that a better instrument (better action, better piano engine, etc.) facilitates learning for the beginner and gives more satisfaction to the expert.

So, if I need an home digital piano and with just 200euros more I can buy an MP7SE, personally I would buy the MP7SE rather than the ES520. Of course, that's just my opinion and you are free to disagree (of course, always with your usual politeness).

The modern mid century look of the MP series is gorgeous and timeless. To the point that even Nord copied it in their recent Nord Grand.

One can't really compare the elegant design of MP series with E series. The acoustic piano look blends into a slab digital instrument. There is simply no stage piano in the market with this design.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
“So Pete14 you fell into your own trap. Can't stop laughing about what you did to yourself.”

You don’t get it, Professor Chaos, do you?

Let me explain it down to your level of wit:

I asked the question deliberately; knowing that James, if he responded at all, would not be forthcoming because I have not been too kind and/or objective towards Kawai as of lately. You get it, dum-dum?

I had the biggest laugh ever when James actually responded in exactly the way I hoped for, but what would you know, you have no capacity for nuanced irony.

P.S.

By the way, you didn’t get banned for being ‘funny’ (ask CG), but rather for being obnoxious. laugh

P.S.S.

I am not pissed off (quiet the contrary), but I felt it necessary to explain to you something that most everyone else gets.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I can’t say I’m happy about this, for I invested many hours researching, investigating, and deconstructing the available data in order to form an objective devoid of any subjective.

It seems like you’ve paid more attention to ‘anecdotal’ perspectives rather than the highly scientific and objective research presented by yours truly.

You are not even worthy of Our time, you, little traitor of Our noble House!

[Linked Image]

laugh

You get it, magicpiano. wink

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Nope.

All the others here have used NLP to make you think that you made Kawai James to behave according to your plan. We actually put the plan into your head.

You'll realize it if you read all the messages again, but backwards.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
We got help from Derren Brown.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
blush

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
“So Pete14 you fell into your own trap. Can't stop laughing about what you did to yourself.”

You don’t get it, Professor Chaos, do you?

Let me explain it down to your level of wit:

I asked the question deliberately; knowing that James, if he responded at all, would not be forthcoming because I have not been too kind and/or objective towards Kawai as of lately. You get it, dum-dum?

I had the biggest laugh ever when James actually responded in exactly the way I hoped for, but what would you know, you have no capacity for nuanced irony.

P.S.

By the way, you didn’t get banned for being ‘funny’ (ask CG), but rather for being obnoxious. laugh

P.S.S.

I am not pissed off (quiet the contrary), but I felt it necessary to explain to you something that most everyone else gets.

You are very smart Pete and I'm so jeleous. Wish I could be in your shoes for just 1ms you know!?

Piano World should sell popcorn machines... they'd be filthy rich!

OP Offline

I think that's a perfectly fair comment.

The individual needs of the customer can vary quite considerably, so it's good that there are a range of different options to chose from.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 12 of 48 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission