2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Is there a one source, website, free or paid, book, that can be used as a reference because it has the complete teachings on how to read music.

Yamaha P-515
Kawai K-300
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
What do you mean by "the complete teachings on how to read music"?

Any piano method book or series should be satisfactory for one to learn how to read music. At the basic level, what more is there other than determining the note to be played by its position on the staff (or leger line) and the time value of the note?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
Is there a one source, website, free or paid, book, that can be used as a reference because it has the complete teachings on how to read music.
I recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Thompsons-Easiest-Piano-Course/dp/1423468228

If music be the food of love, play on!
C
C
Re: "complete teachings on how to read music"

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for (that's like asking "what is a source for the complete teachings on how to read English" ;-) However, any piano method book (e.g., Alfred or Faber) should give you the foundations to read music.

If you are looking for something else, then you probably need to give more detail-- a particular style of music, just the basics of the grand staff, chord charts?

[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
This is a situation where a bricks-and-mortar store might be useful:

Go into Long & McQuade, or Tom Lee, and ask for a recommendation from a piano-playing salesperson. They can ask face-to-face questions, more effectively than we can.

You'll be able to look at the book, to see if it's what you want, before buying it. Even better than "free return".<g>

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
S
There are a million websites, apps, Youtube videos and books that teach you what keyboard notes correspond to what lines and spaces on the staves, how to decode the time signatures, note durations, articulation instructions and so on. That’s not hard to find.

But that’s not reading any more than knowing the alphabet is reading language. The tricky bit is wrangling that up into real time reading at the same speed as the music. And that is something you only really learn by doing. The only “method” if you can call it that is “practice lots, start simple and if you can’t do it go even simpler”.

So the books and courses that are aimed specifically at developing sight reading are not focused on a “method” that is anything more than giving you selected and graded examples to suit your current level. Which you could do yourself.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
D
D
Try this book:

Music Theory 101: From Keys and Scales to Rhythm and Melody, an Essential Primer on the Basics of Music Theory
Book by Brian Boone and Marc Schonbrun

Like others said I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for but I have a feeling this is what you're looking for. It might not cover every single thing but it does cover a lot of basics like clefs, rhythms, intervals, all those lines like slurs ties etc, and even those italian terms you'll see in sheets. I bought this and been reading it and I find it pretty useful book to start with in learning how to read music but it covers a lot more.

Also try Music Theory for Dummies. Pretty good and simple explanations here too never mind the insulting title.

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Reading music isn’t difficult. You can learn the basics in a pretty short time. There are many books and websites to learn the mechanics.

However, becoming FLUENT at reading music takes time and effort.

Don’t confuse being able to figure out what the notes and timings are with being able to do it quickly without really thinking about it. Remember when you learned to read? You probably read very slowly at first, figuring out how the letters went together to form words. After a while, you could recognize simple words at a glance, without examining the individual letters, and maybe even recognize the intended word when it was spelled incorrectly.

So it is with reading music. Acquiring fluency takes time, practice, and effort. You need to spend time doing it, and you need to progress from simple stuff to more advanced stuff along an incremental curve, not trying to make big jumps. If you were learning to read, you wouldn’t have a primer today and a college textbook next week. But many adults try to progress that way when learning to read music.

Take the time to learn and practice the skills and build on them until the reading becomes second nature. Sometimes people start with one method and then switch to another because they are unsatisfied with their progress, but the problem isn’t the teaching method, it’s that they need to put in the time and effort to allow their brain to truly and completely absorb a new skill.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
P
P
Hi, yes, there is. I have written an interactive course for beginners that will teach you how to read and write music from ZERO and up to the level expected by Grade 1 of the ABRSM and Trinity syllabus. The course is designed as an alternative to private tuition, but it will work equally well as an addition to piano lessons.

You can try it for free here:

http://www.edjet.com/course/67528e36

Paul s
O
OP Offline
O
You look at the piece, you see symbols you don't understand. That's what I mean. I just learned what p, mf, and mp yesterday. But two days ago, I didn't know. Today, if you ask me the meaning of the giant > on top or bottom of a note, I don't know what that means. It would be nice to go to a book, like a dictionary of music symbols, signs, notes, abbreviation, to quickly check it's meaning, definition, explanation, examples.

Yamaha P-515
Kawai K-300
B
B
You look at the piece, you see symbols you don't understand. That's what I mean. I just learned what p, mf, and mp yesterday. But two days ago, I didn't know. Today, if you ask me the meaning of the giant > on top or bottom of a note, I don't know what that means. It would be nice to go to a book, like a dictionary of music symbols, signs, notes, abbreviation, to quickly check it's meaning, definition, explanation, examples.
Why don't you get a beginner's course like the one I linked, which will teach you all the basics (including all the stuff you've mentioned) plus a whole lot more, little by little, while getting you to put that into practice on the piano?

After all, unless you want to know what > or # or bb means as an academic exercise, there's no point in learning a whole lot of stuff that you can't or don't know how to use.

BTW, if all you want is a 'dictionary of musical terms & symbols' there's wiki - for free:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_music_terminology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_symbols

......which is very far from exhaustive, but even so, some of that - and most of the terminology - is pointless to memorize or learn, because you'll hardly ever encounter them, even in super-duper advanced music.

That's why it's always better to learn simple stuff that you'll need as you encounter them in music, the stuff you're likely to see in beginner's pieces.

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Most adult method books will introduce and teach a lot of the musical markings and their meanings. It just takes a lot of practice and time (like everything with piano) and you’ll keep learning a couple here and there and eventually you’ll naturally have a wide knowledge of note recognition, accent marks, etc.

S
S
If you want a paper book that is kind of a reference that you can look up when you come across a new term or symbol, then a beginner theory book will have this.

These books are deliberately limited to simple “what things are called” definitions without going into more complex “how things work” stuff like functional harmony. So it won’t be full of ideas you may never use.

My go-to is Eric Taylor’s AB Guide to Music Theory. I picked it up for $10 on our Craigslist equivalent that we have here in Aus.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You look at the piece, you see symbols you don't understand.

This book is exactly what you ask for!

[Linked Image]

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission