2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
32 members (BachToTheFuture, clothearednincompo, Burkey, GreatShowmanChopin, Greta99, gwing, Gustavo Guerra, 8 invisible), 357 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stage Fright, revisited
#3027588 09/21/20 05:23 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C
There have been lots of "stage fright" posts. I have a new story of my own.

I've been doing a fair amount of public performing -- singing and drumming, mostly. I've been in a choir with a few hundred people in the audience, and performed regularly in my synagogue for 25-100 people.

I have been playing a shofar (a Jewish ritual instrument, a cleaned-out animal horn with no mouthpiece) for decades. It's used seriously one day per year -- Rosh HaShana -- which has just passed. I've been playing it for my synagogue for years, in front of a few hundred people. No problems at all.

But yesterday, because of Covid-19, our services were held outside, and Zoomed.

. . . The young man holding a phone, broadcasting what I was doing,
. . . completely threw off my concentration !

So what came out of the horn matched what was going on inside my head -- weak, confused, and generally unsatisfactory.

I'd practiced enough to get through the event, albeit imperfectly. But I was too anxious to put much spirit into my playing. The audience might have accepted it, but I knew how much was missing.

So my suggestion is:

. . . If something is going to be different about a performance --
. . . different piano, different hall, different audience --

. . . . . prepare for it _in advance_.

Professionals have "seen it all", in long careers. Us amateurs can still be surprised, and discombobulated.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Stage Fright, revisited
Charles Cohen #3027590 09/21/20 05:30 PM
Great advice, thanks!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
plus some other DPs, keyboards and VSTs
Charles Cohen #3027592 09/21/20 05:33 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I feel your pain Charles. I was doing a simple Taize service a few years ago. Stuff I usually don't have to think about playing. Different church and a heavy action piano and I was sweating playing.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Charles Cohen #3027601 09/21/20 06:04 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Oh I agree! It's funny how sensitive we can be. The first time I tried to record myself with the camera on a full-sized tripod sitting behind my right shoulder, up to its full height so that the camera was pointing down at the keyboard... the presence of the tripod, you would have thought I was surrounded by demons! whome

So that took a while to get used. But I remembered that experience when I decided to start online lessons, and so the day before my first lesson, I set up all the equipment and practiced that way. I'm glad I did because otherwise it really would have thrown me.

I find that objects in my peripheral visions can be very distracting, so part of it is that. But the rest is just that there's something new in the environment and it pulls your brain away from the music and onto something totally irrelevant.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Charles Cohen #3027680 09/22/20 02:22 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Charles , this is familiar to me, as well as the explanation of such a force majeure. Simple question: how many times between New Years do you pick up the shofar? You are also trained on the street?
We are not all getting younger; and at some point, the habitual confidence that everything will work out, like last year, can suddenly deceive.

Charles Cohen #3027686 09/22/20 02:41 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You cannot prepare for everything. You'll never know what will happen that will throw off your concentration. So you'll need to prepare for just this mental state - loss of concentration. You do this by practising when you are distracted, or even distraught. Maybe, usually, when you feel this way, you would postpone practising - this huge thing has happened, I cannot practise now! No. When you feel that you are in no state to be able to practise, you practise, and your practice is aimed at finding focus and concentration. On playing as well as you can, in spite of all those thoughts and feelings upsetting you.
Then, when you have to perform, and you find that something is upsetting you, you have some experience in how to direct your attention back to your music.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Charles Cohen #3027745 09/22/20 07:25 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Since I started performing regularly, I've also taken every opportunity to play on public pianos - train stations, airports, shopping malls, the lot. I've been drowned out by all sorts of noise and been videoed, chatted to (whilst playing), applauded, requested to play everything from The Godfather to Amadeus (I kid you not) as well as Bach, Schubert etc.

I still get performance anxiety....... cry

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Charles Cohen #3027750 09/22/20 07:45 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I kept my windows open during the high holidays just to hear the shofar being sounded outside by various synagogues while I cooked my holiday food. You can hear it for miles. How’s your t’kiah g’dolah? When the cameras are off, of course, haha!

As for stage fright, I agree that one little change can make the difference between comfort and anxiety. It’s hard to predict what will throw you but I try to anticipate the obvious things!

Charles Cohen #3027956 09/22/20 05:20 PM
I
Ido Offline
I
Charles, I'm sure you've still managed to move the listeners and invoke some holiday spirit!
Being in lock down, I barely felt any of that spirit here so it's nice to read your stories.
Shana Tova!

TwoSnowflakes #3027986 09/22/20 06:51 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
I kept my windows open during the high holidays just to hear the shofar being sounded outside by various synagogues while I cooked my holiday food. You can hear it for miles. How’s your t’kiah g’dolah? When the cameras are off, of course, haha!

As for stage fright, I agree that one little change can make the difference between comfort and anxiety. It’s hard to predict what will throw you but I try to anticipate the obvious things!

That must have been nice!

A few years ago, I read an essay on "t'kiah g'dolah" ("long sound", blown at the end of a set). It said that the tendency to make it _as long as possible_ -- red face, squeezing out the last bit of air -- was a distraction from its meaning:

. . . If the congregation was betting on when it would end, their minds were in the wrong place.

Since then, I've ended my t'kiah g'dolah as soon as my air pressure starts to drop. So it's not extremely long, but it's very clean.

L'shana tova to everyone, and thank you for several useful suggestions.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Charles Cohen #3028030 09/22/20 08:45 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've gotten quite a bit of practice playing for friends lately. With mixed results, but usually not too embarrassing. But last weekend I played in a friends house and the lighting was not good. I had trouble seeing the keys. So naturally, that threw me off. I was thinking about not being able to see and not thinking about playing, so my performance was worse than usual.

Younger players had no problem - but as an old man I need more light.

Sam

Charles Cohen #3028083 09/23/20 03:03 AM
D
D
I've taken to bringing my clip on light with ten leds if I don't know what the lighting will be like. Younger people, including some teachers, just don't get it as they can practically see in the dark! I've even bought lights for a couple of my teachers! 😎

dorfmouse #3028091 09/23/20 04:08 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dorfmouse
I've taken to bringing my clip on light with ten leds if I don't know what the lighting will be like. Younger people, including some teachers, just don't get it as they can practically see in the dark! I've even bought lights for a couple of my teachers! 😎

We must be twins, because I have done exactly the same thing: clip on music light for performances, and purchased a standing music light for my last teacher. I got tired of squinting to read the music. ( The clip on light is also great as a flashlight during power outages) 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Charles Cohen #3028644 09/24/20 04:20 PM
P
P
Good lighting and a nice pair of reading glasses are my friends while I am at the piano bench!

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,355
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission