2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
36 members (anotherscott, Beowulf, Charles Cohen, AlphaBravoCharlie, D959, David B, accordeur, dodgio, 10 invisible), 366 guests, and 450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question about home studio policy and student conduct
joggerjazz #3026162 09/17/20 07:50 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
We would need to know more. If you are Japanese, you may not realize how much support your culture is granting you. You yourself may have discipline and skills that do not compare to the average parent.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
OjisanSeiuchi #3026217 09/18/20 01:24 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OjisanSeiuchi
5 years later....

This thread stuck with me, in the back of my mind and I remembered the prognostication about my daughter's future. She is 12 now - (sorry I missed the 10 year mark) - and continues to practice avidly. Before COVID-19 shut down all concertizing, she soloed with our regional community orchestra, the youngest in their long history.

Talent? What is that anyway? So much has been studied and published about the systematic development of ability in different fields, including music. Genetics? - yes. But more so, effort and time.

In any case, I can just say from my own experiences, beginning small children (she was 3) needn't be a hopeless task, one full of torture for parent, teacher, or child. Of the children who started in her peer group, I'd estimate that at least half continue to play. But at age 3, she had no idea what playing the instrument would entail. Did we just get lucky and found the right interest to pursue? Or do we have the order wrong - that interest follows, not precedes, the pursuing, at least in children that young?
Congratulations to you and your child. I went back to the original conversation. The instrument your child started on was violin. Children do start younger on violin than they do on piano - I've heard of 4 and 5, rarely 3 but even 3. I think that's different than piano.

I've watched this little girl (4) more than once. She seems to delight in what she's doing. Of course now she's a young lady, and still playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=PQGVW2l5708&ab_channel=LeilaWarren

joggerjazz #3027240 09/20/20 03:57 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by joggerjazz
Hi,
I first started teaching going to peoples homes but now have some students come to my home studio. For the most part there has been no problems until recently. I have a tuition policy but after dealing with this spoiled 5 yr old brat I need a policy on student conduct and was wondering what other teachers have worded in their policy. In short, I took this kid on and he ran around my home jumping on furniture like it was his playground and the father was way too lax in telling him how to behave. His father brought in snacks which left a mess. The kid put his feet on my keyboard, stood on the pedals with his full weight resulting in the sustain pedal to fail a day later as I was in the middle of performing with someone. He weakened a leather washer allowing the bolt to come through the pedal hole. When I told him and his father about this they seemed to not care one bit and the kid stood on the pedal again. He also was combative doing what I asked of him or pushing my hand away from the keys if I tried to show him something during a lesson. They didn't have a piano at home but a non touch sensitive 61 note arranger keyboard with no pedals. I told the father he'd need a full 88 weighed action. He said he didn't have space for it which I find hard to believe. Anyway, I called the father after a month of lessons and told him his son has to stop being combative and listen and do what I ask or he isn't ready to learn piano with me. His father just responded 'We'll find somebody else'. That's fine with me. I'm sure others have dealt with this type of student and I have worked with difficult students before, but this just was not a good fit. Can I ask how you word your policies reguarding conduct in your home studio?
Thanks much.

He sounds way too young to be in piano. Most 5 year olds are - the ones who can do it are unusually interested/focused/smart and/or come from musical homes. He should wait a year or two before starting lessons.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some Questions Re: Old Petrof Grand
by Seeker - 11/26/20 10:27 PM
Thanksgiving
by Retsacnal - 11/26/20 08:55 PM
VI labs Black Friday deals
by newer player - 11/26/20 06:20 PM
Brahms suggestions
by Moo :) - 11/26/20 06:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,069
Posts3,027,555
Members99,381
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission