2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
40 members (CyberGene, anotherscott, Digitalguy, clothearednincompo, Gianluca, Caeso2010, Beowulf, colinstead, 12 invisible), 368 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 67 of 83 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 82 83
Re: Kawai CA79 / CA99 owners club
Martinez #3026268 09/18/20 05:02 AM
F
F
Good to see that Kawai is taking good care of their customers. Kawai James of course is a hero! :-)
I'm a happy owner of a new CA79 and I really enjoy the sound quality, key action (with LOW key noise!), looks and overall (build) quality of this piano.

I'm a bit struggling to get the same good sound quality through my headphones. Maybe they're worn out, but I find the sound too sharp and it's quite ringing with the standard settings. Any tips are appreciated. I've posted a question about good, warm headphones for CA79 in a seperate thread, but any suggestion is welcome.

What really, really needs improvement IMO in the user interface is the way/options to handle registrations. This is now far too limited. I think it should be possible to save a user setting, rename/edit it afterwards and make it possible to select one of the user settings as your start up default (just by selecting it). The way it's implemented now (with the startup option to 'Current') is not handy at all. Also, it should be possible to backup/save your registrations to USB. Just in case. And so owners of CA79/99 can share them.

Musical greetings,

F-Sharp (Kawai CA79 since Sept 2020)
Martinez #3026270 09/18/20 05:14 AM
K
Online Content
K
Agree and all good points Mr F Sharp - I have been thinking the same. smile

No good but carry on regardless
Martinez #3026288 09/18/20 06:46 AM
F
F
Thanks for the support Killometer, let's hope Kawai will do something about it soon!
It's just software and has little to do with the hardware, so it should be doable I guess.

I also would like to have a better integration with the Ipad app.
In the current setup, it functions quite independently: it stores user settings in the Ipad, not in the user area of the piano itself.
I think it would be better to make settings in the Ipad and save them in the piano.
That would really make it a Piano remote control (Which the name PianoRemote suggests).
Or even better, let the user choose where to store the settings (in the piano or in the Ipad).

Musical greetings,

F-Sharp #3026327 09/18/20 09:44 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by F-Sharp
I'm a bit struggling to get the same good sound quality through my headphones. Maybe they're worn out, but I find the sound too sharp and it's quite ringing with the standard settings. Any tips are appreciated. I've posted a question about good, warm headphones for CA79 in a seperate thread, but any suggestion is welcome.

Same here, the sound was a bit too sharp for me through headphones (CA79). I changed the “touch curve” to heavy-1 and the “key volume” to high damping. That reduced the sharpness & ringing significantly (mostly by changing the touch curve setting). But a couple of weeks ago I bought pianoteq with three grands and was very pleased with some of the modelled sounds. Especially "Grotrian" & "Steingraeber". But now finally I’m using Garritan CFX (full), for me there’s no need anymore to change back to the onboard CA79 sounds (at least now).

I’m using the Sennheiser HD 599 headphones and I’m very happy with them. I also tried Beyer DT770 Pro (200 Ohm) but the sound was too muffled and not clean enough for my ears.

TomBom #3026397 09/18/20 12:25 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by TomBom
[quote=F-Sharp]But a couple of weeks ago I bought pianoteq with three grands and was very pleased with some of the modelled sounds. Especially "Grotrian" & "Steingraeber". But now finally I’m using Garritan CFX (full), for me there’s no need anymore to change back to the onboard CA79 sounds (at least now).

Could you please share your setting? How do you use the Garritan Software? Do you use midi out? Is an audio iinterface needed? Does the sound at the end comes back through the onboard speakers? Is it really latency free?

TomBom #3026476 09/18/20 03:39 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by TomBom
Originally Posted by F-Sharp

Same here, the sound was a bit too sharp for me through headphones (CA79). I changed the “touch curve” to heavy-1 and the “key volume” to high damping. That reduced the sharpness & ringing significantly (mostly by changing the touch curve setting).
Thank you TomBom, those settings really make a Lot of difference. It sounds much better now. Great advice.

Musical greetings,

Martinez #3026564 09/18/20 09:30 PM
T
T
I’m glad I could help smile

Regarding Garritan CFX: I’m using a mac-mini for Garritan (it’s a mac-mini from 2012 with an Intel i7 2,3 GHz and 4 GB RAM). I'm starting the mac when I turn the piano on. The boot-time of the mac together with the garritan software lies around 25 seconds. The CA79 needs 35 seconds, so in my case I don’t even have to wait for the mac & garritan because of the piano boot-time cool
The connection CA79 -> Mac is established via the Midi USB output (CA79) and USB Input (mac). You just need an standard USB cable. To get the sound back from the mac to the CA79 speaker, I’m using a standard audio cable (3.5mm) from the line-out (mac) to line-in (CA79). So you can use the onboard speaker and if you want to play with headphones you can use the piano headphone connector. I don’t use any audio interfaces and it’s absolutely latency free. In some scenarios there might be a ground loop in the system (because of the two-way connection between the CA79 and the computer) which will cause a disturbing noise. In this case you will need a ground breaker (it’s a cheap cable) for the audio connection. I don’t have this problem but I had to turn off “Bluetooth Audio” in the CA79 Settings, because I had some background noise at the line-in with bluetooth audio on (don’t know why, but I don’t use this anyway).

Last edited by TomBom; 09/18/20 09:32 PM.
Martinez #3026568 09/18/20 09:46 PM
T
T
I forgot to write: To turn the CA79 onboard sound off while using Garritan or any other VST you have to set “Local On/Off” to Off in the piano midi settings. Otherwise you will hear both sounds.

Martinez #3026609 09/19/20 03:19 AM
R
R
Thanks a lot, that is really helpful

Martinez #3026681 09/19/20 07:55 AM
F
F
Hi TomBom, thanks again, but I will hang on to the internal sounds of the CA79. I really like them!

Musical greetings,

kailord #3026761 09/19/20 11:35 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by kailord
I'm almost getting a CA79 but hesitating due to some of the UI issues. ... full bootup is complete in about 20+ seconds.

Hi Kailord! I did think the bootup time was excessive. Also I am using my CA79 with a VST, and the VST interface is not great and forces me to uncheck/recheck the MIDI connection each time the piano booted up.

So I queried opinions here about leaving the piano powered on all the time. Kawai has no official stance on doing this, and some forum members here do and some don't. So, for the past 3-4 weeks, I have left the piano powered on. The effect is amazing - you just sit down and play! Kind of like <clutches pearls> an acoustic! smile

Won't damage the piano. Is that right?

Absolutely not. If you power on and start playing, and then the software kicks in and changes to your settings, there is no harm done.

The touch screen regions aren't easy to use so often u hit a setting u don't meant to hit.

It's not that bad. There is a fellow here who is having an extreme time with his touchscreen it seems. But that hasn't been my experience. Like a lot of apps and hardware, it's a little clunky but it gets the job done without too much trouble. And also, you can always use an app to control it instead.

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
Martinez #3027136 09/20/20 10:49 AM
C
C
Hi Everyone,
I happily own a Kawai CA79, bit I recently noted something odd, that I would describe as a "wrong" behavior of the sustain (or damper) pedal, vs. a real grand piano.
Please try the following:

-Play a bass note, say the bottom E, keep it pressed
-Then press the sustain pedal
-Then release the key (obviously it keeps playing)
-Then slowly press again the same key. You don't want to actually "play the strings" again, just press it to have the specific key damper "away from the strings".
-Then release the sustain pedal... and, the note stops playing, except for some resonance.

A grand would continue to fully play the note, as the strings would never have been damped, in the sequence.

Don't you find it is wrong and should be corrected?
FYI, I tried the same with Garritan CFX sw connected via USB MIDI, and it works correctly, the sound of the played note continues fully.

What do you think? Shouldn't it be corrected?

Cheers everybody!
Corrado

Corrado #3027144 09/20/20 11:16 AM
I
I
Not downplaying issues but is there anyone who actually plays piano that way?

InspiredByKawai #3027175 09/20/20 12:43 PM
C
C
Hi InspiredByKawai,
the example I made is extreme and not "musical", it's intended to highlight very clearly the behavior I am referring to.
But I believe that behavior can affect the overall sound and feeling of the piano, though in a more subtle way.

Do you agree a real piano behaves differently?

(FWIW I actually recorded a piece, the ending is a large chord with sustain pedal down, slowly fading: I actually like, before it fades fully, to just stop it except the bottom note, by releasing the damper while keeping the bottom note down... that's how I noticed everything)

Corrado

Corrado #3027373 09/21/20 06:26 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Corrado
Hi Everyone,
I happily own a Kawai CA79, bit I recently noted something odd, that I would describe as a "wrong" behavior of the sustain (or damper) pedal, vs. a real grand piano.

-Then slowly press again the same key. You don't want to actually "play the strings" again, just press it to have the specific key damper "away from the strings".
-Then release the sustain pedal... and, the note stops playing, except for some resonance.

A grand would continue to fully play the note, as the strings would never have been damped, in the sequence.

FYI, I tried the same with Garritan CFX sw connected via USB MIDI, and it works correctly, the sound of the played note continues fully.

Cheers everybody!
Corrado
I tried this on my NU1. As described the original note keeps playing throughout. I also think the behaviour of your CA79 is wrong compared to an acoustic.

But I find this part of your description slightly confusing:
Then release the sustain pedal... and, the note stops playing, except for some resonance.
What resonance?

Corrado #3027389 09/21/20 07:46 AM
T
T
Definately that this is a (minor) bug in synth engine.

Martinez #3027414 09/21/20 08:59 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
But I find this part of your description slightly confusing:
Then release the sustain pedal... and, the note stops playing, except for some resonance.
What resonance?

I refer the the sympathetic resonance, if you play a sound with this feature turned on and to a good level. All modern digital pianos have it (for sure the NU1 and the CA79).

In my case I have the wrong behavior that the note does not continue to play as it should, but you can hear the subtle resonance of the same note/string only.

I mean, for a digital piano this level I would assume the acoustic piano behavior is replicated perfectly, especially thinking to a not-so-complicated thing like the damper mechanism. Would be nice to know if different models / engines from Kawai get this done right or not.

I hope Kawai can fix it with an update!

Thanks.
Corrado

Corrado #3027434 09/21/20 10:24 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Corrado
It should, especially since it should be easy to correct, it's probably just one simple programming flaw. It was the same on Casio GP.

Corrado #3027491 09/21/20 12:11 PM
D
D
Hi Everyone,

Cheers everybody!
Corrado

Hello,

i just tried this with my Kawai CS11 (Harmonic Imaging XL) and it worked like it should on an acoustic piano. Propably an error in the new rendering engine.

Daniel

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
Corrado #3027526 09/21/20 01:51 PM
C
C
Thanks for your answers

@Nordomus: you mean Casio GP had the same issue but then Casio corrected it? Than I can hope...!

@danielp11: thanks for testing, so I hope Kawai is reading / listening, and willing to fix!

Cheers.
Corrado

Page 67 of 83 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 82 83

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why is long sustain a good thing?
by Emery Wang - 11/23/20 11:48 PM
VI Playability
by Dore - 11/23/20 11:45 PM
Resonance? Vibration?
by 3B43 - 11/23/20 08:40 PM
Hear Rachy Play A Bosie - This Is Awesome!
by Jeanne W - 11/23/20 08:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,008
Posts3,026,486
Members99,352
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission