2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone, as a begynner player i learn and hear more everyday. Lately i have noticed that my sustain pedal acts weird compared to Acoustic piano. For example Sustain Pedal fully depressed, hit C2, release sustain pedal fully and press it again, i still can hear the note, not as loud ofc. Real acoustic piano would mute it right away (i have tested). So after i hit C2 i can repress sustain pedal up and down 3-4 times before sound will 100% muted. In my Manual of Kawai ES 110 i found that it can be function called Damper Resonance. I wanted to test if it will change anything in damping sound so i went through low, mid(default), high, off functions, but it didn't work! It was 0 difference when i was switching between modes. So i can say for sure that this function doesn't work on my digitalpiano. Not that i need that function at all, just i dont want hear notes that were played before current bar. Its fine on more slower pieces but once i get to 10++ notes per second it sounds really bad. I tried to factory reset and full power off piano, didnt help.
Maybe i change pedal too quickly but still repress 3-4 times and still hear the sound is not cool. Tried my best to explain if u didnt understand due to my English please let me know i will try to explain better.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
If I understand correctly, you're saying that the sustain pedal doesn't kill the sound fast enough if you re-pedal quickly? I believe that is normal, and you should be able to "catch" a sustained note, particularly in the bass, if you re-pedal quickly.

How strong this effect is may depend on various settings and functions of your DP. Check if you have a half-pedal capable pedal (not sure what the ES-110 comes with in your country), which will allow you to manually control this better. Also check if the DP has a pedal height setting, which you may want increase.

Damper Resonance doesn't affect the re-pedal timing. What you should hear with that setting is a subtle bloom of other keys sounding out in the background when you strike a note with the super pedal down (versus without the pedal.

Good luck!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
OP Offline
M
Yeah you understood correctly Gombessa. My sustain pedal has half pedalling, half pedalling too difficult for me yet unless i play slow pieces . I guess im pedalling too fast then, just is how i used on acoustic piano. Possible that my pedalling technique is still low. But why cant it be exactly the same like on acoustic piano i dont get it. Also it doesn't matter which key C6 is the same story. I cant adjust pedal height, unless is as hard as to take it apart and do something inside it.

Last edited by makentoxpiano; 09/20/20 11:41 AM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
That is (apparently) how acoustic grand pianos behave and your Kawai emulates an acoustic grand piano.

Maybe it depends on the piano size and therefore string length and mass. On a small piano the dampers might damp the strings more efficiently. On large ones it takes a while.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This is called re-pedaling and is how acoustic pianos work. If you don’t like it, there are literally millions of VST-s that behave as you expect it to although I’m not sure why you would want it.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/20/20 12:23 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
This is called re-pedaling and is how acoustic pianos work. If you don’t like it, there are literally millions of VST-s that behave as you expect it to although I’m not sure why you would want it.
Well the problem is i still can hear notes from last bar (measure) i already played on next bar. When this happens it sounds like out of tune when notes starting to mix in wrong way, it happens on fast pieces mostly. Also my friend who has more expensive digital piano has checked and apparently you still can repress pedal multiple times but he has demping resonance option and when he turned it off it helped a lot. Notes were muted much quicker.

Last edited by makentoxpiano; 09/20/20 12:34 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As others said, damper resonance has nothing to do with the re-pedaling feature which is just like a big acoustic grand piano should behave.

I don't think you can disable the re-pedaling. But you can just wait a little bit more before pressing the pedal again. This should do the trick.

What type of acoustic piano you played on? An upright or a grand piano?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by makentoxpiano
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well the problem is i still can hear notes from last bar (measure) i already played on next bar. When this happens it sounds like out of tune when notes starting to mix in wrong way, it happens on fast pieces mostly. Also my friend who has more expensive digital piano has checked and apparently you still can repress pedal multiple times but he has demping resonance option and when he turned it off it helped a lot. Notes were muted much quicker.

Congratulations. You got a digital piano and it's helping you with learning proper technique. So it's time to learn proper pedaling then. Ask your teacher.

What you are most likely doing is lifting the pedal on "1". And doing that, the notes from the previous measures continue to sound as they should.

Done correctly the pedal is lifted right before the end of the previous measure (on "and") with your finger legato and the natural reverb of the acoustic piano binding the notes together. You don't push the pedal down again until right after the first beat.

Yamaha P-515
J
J
If the continued resonance is as obvious as he is describing I'm guessing there might be a problem with his damper pedal. I wonder if its compatible with the ES 110.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
There are various ways to use the sustain pedal.

"Lifting on 1" or right after key down in general is a perfectly valid one. (I.e. the "legato pedal". Apparently not used in very old piano music.)

Then there are other perfectly valid ones too. Some might be just for triggering the resonances and not for any legato effect.

Finger legato doesn't always work as we have only 10 fingers.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission