2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Sorry, one more from FB Marketplace. You gotta see the case on this instrument, wow!!! (I wish I could figure out how to get FB photos to post, there's something in how they set up their links that seems to prevent it....)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/747283839445570/

ETA: $295,000 (also wow....)

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 09/19/20 08:00 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I would have thought it earlier than 1927, more Victorian-era, perhaps. But, what do I know? Very interesting, remarkably detailed, elaborate carving, but not to my taste, however.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
That is truly beautiful ! But you would need a house with very tough floors. To me thats exquisite.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
That is truly beautiful ! But you would need a house with very tough floors. To me thats exquisite......do not like the pictures on the walls though.It can be a little too much on some days.
I would rather have the new Bosendorfer.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Too bad they chose oak. Of course the price is simple pocket change, but you've got to really love oak.

😂

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 09/19/20 10:05 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Peter, is there something wrong with oak in particular?

Lady Bird I actually like the artwork on the walls (not that it matters! : grin:

In any case, this isn’t something I would want in my own home, and it wouldn’t match very maybe homes, but it’s certainly amazing to see. I’d love to play it.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Peter, is there something wrong with oak in particular?

Lady Bird I actually like the artwork on the walls (not that it matters! : grin:

In any case, this isn’t something I would want in my own home, and it wouldn’t match very maybe homes, but it’s certainly amazing to see. I’d love to play it.
To me they make the piano look "creepy"., all the pictures "splattered with blood" ., like a "mobsters house" The frames look awful too.
A modern piano like yours or someone else here to me will not give the same affect., with suitable furniture the ,pictures could look far better......not sure I could like those colours though.

That Bosendor piano like the spectacular "chocolate box Gaveau" would need special surroundings.The twisting grotesque, yet delicate patterns of the Gaveau art case may look nice in a baroque palace ?
Probably my imagination as my husband would say ! The Bosendorfer for some reason causes me to call it a "Bombay Style", perhaps because I now know that I know its oak.(I do not know really ..... ?)
😆

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/19/20 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I really like that Bosendorfer though......

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Incredibly beautiful especially in oak. I could never own that piano because I’d be so distracted looking at the carving on the on the legs I’d lose my place on reading the music in front of me. Besides dusting that piano with all the carving would take half a day.

The other problem with a piano like that is people who have absolutely no business touching a piano like that are instantly drawn to touch, rub, and stick curious fingers everywhere. I’d need a 200 lbs Mastiff to guard it.

Beautiful beautiful beautiful but definitely not for me. Thanks ShiroKuro for sharing.

Last edited by j&j; 09/20/20 08:50 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't believe that is in Facebook marketplace. That's the most expensive listing I've seen on there. Is it genuine?

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryShone
I can't believe that is in Facebook marketplace. That's the most expensive listing I've seen on there. Is it genuine?

I was wondering that myself! Maybe I should message the seller. whome

I checked on PianoMart, but I didn't see a listing. The person who posted the FB ad looks to be someone who sells (and maybe restores?) violins (and probably violas and cellos) and bows. It occurred to me that he was posting the ad on behalf of someone else. I

Hard to say, but I did think it was odd. Also, it's hard to tell where the piano is, but that could be the living room of an upscale home....

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My take on oak is that it is far too hard for amateur cabinet makers such as myself that almost exclusively works with hand tools.

It's unfortunate that the grandest days of the piano Age, the Second half of the 19th century, coincided with the absolute worst days for visual arts in Architecture, Painting (with a few exceptions) or Furniture Design. IMO, the eclectic, over-the-top Victorian, Edwardian or Napoleon III styles are hideous. They reflected the vulgar opulence of the nouveau riche merchants and industrialists that wanted to socially displace the landed aristocracy.

Much earlier, Baroque had also indulged in some excesses, but even gayly painted and molded Italian harpsichords of the 18th century did things with taste. Later Viennese or early English pianos were models of sobriety and good design, all the way to Biedermeier style Grafs of the 1830-40's.

The First World War put a stop to all that riotous carved nonsense, and the Bauhaus creed that Form should follow Function gave us the classic modern grand. Uprights, catering to middle class uneducated tastes, still sported quite a few with flophouse styling until WWII.

I do not thing much can be done today to improve a modern grand look, except use beautiful veneers. It is interesting that even Fazioli did not try to enlist Pinin Farina. The famous attempts by Seiler, or more recently by Steinway with Karl Lagerfeld, I find unconvincing :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

However, if one wishes to go space-age, I am impressed by this new organ console, fit for Darth Vader's ship :

[Linked Image]

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just like classic glossy black for grand pianos. That'll do me. None of that arty farty nonesense 😉

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I have seen a very similar piano in the past, but this one has definitely had work done on it.

I think it is beautiful. I wish they had been a bit more historically accurate in shades, finishes, and fallboard name. They all look like modern choices, but they are all different from what they would have originally been.

Having said that, from what I can see, the finish work was done beautifully. I wonder how it plays? Also, I wonder if Sam Bennett knows anything about this piano.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Oh, hopefully Sam Bennett will chime in! I'd love to have some more details about this piano.

I think it is beautiful.

Me too, the more I look at, the more amazed by it I am.

I wish they had been a bit more historically accurate in shades, finishes, and fallboard name. They all look like modern choices, but they are all different from what they would have originally been.

Rich, that's really interesting, I don't know enough about these details to notice that.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Interesting how what constitutes beauty is in the eye and mind of the beholder. For those of you who think this piano is "beautiful," my taste/opinion is diametrically opposed, but then, we can't all like vanilla, can we?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Well its often what we can afford .Either of those incredibly
art art case pianos would not look great in my house.Although we used to save and buy a few beautiful things most of our furniture is rather ordinary.
Some nicer things belonged to my grand parents.
When comes to Neo Gothic furniture ,architecture of the late 19th century , I rather like it.
There was a beautifully carved Steinways grand here recently
which was(to me) was incredible. Anyway parhaps Harry has bought Megan a beautifully carved ,restored piano.
Perhaps its a Bosendorfer.(or even a modern Sauter Ambient grand 😄 designed by Peter Maly)
Anyway I wish they would go back to Europe, live quietly in somewhere in some castle where they cannot or offend the "Royals" in the UK. I wish them all the luck they can have to survive in thier marriage with that kind of pressure .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/20/20 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
what constitutes beauty is in the eye and mind of the beholder.

And also, IMO, what constitutes beauty is often dependent on context. In the right setting, that piano is amazing. Shoved into my living room, not so much....

whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The baroque carving doesn’t speak of the opulence of the age but of the great skill of the craftsman.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission