2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
32 members (doremi, CyberGene, andredatele, AprilE, brendon, Boboulus, David B, 6 invisible), 403 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
The saga of my DYUS5
#3027038 09/20/20 06:33 AM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Well, back at the end of December, I ordered a DYUS1, a YUS1 with the Disklavier mechanism.

In March, I took a new job in Pittsburgh, left New York, and went out there with my wife to learn about my role with the intention of going back to New York to work remotely.

The pandemic struck New York with a horrible ferocity and so, we stayed in Pittsburgh for five months, lived in three different rentals, and got by with what we had brought in two suitcases. Interestingly, one of the houses we stayed in had hosted George Gershwin when he had given a concert in Pittsburgh and missed his train back to New York.

During this time, my piano dealer, the wonderful Chris Diehl from Princeton Pianos, informed me that Yamaha could not make their scheduled delivery of the DYUS1 and would I take a DYUS5 that was in California and could be shipped to New Jersey. I said yes, as it seemed like a wonderful opportunity to get the top of the line upright. I was touched by Yamaha’s generous offer.

So, still in Pittsburgh, we thought about what we wanted to do with our lives. All of my in person guitar lessons were canceled, as well as my in person piano lessons, and all the concerts canceled, including the last two Bach concerts that Angela Hewitt was to give at the 92nd St Y.

After a lot of thought, we decided to move to Pittsburgh and buy a house. I did not want to rent. After failing three times, we closed on a little house built in 1925. Coming from a one bedroom, it’s a huge place for us, but small for the area.

A month ago, we went back to New York and packed the apartment. It’s amazing how much stuff can be crammed into a one bedroom apartment. Around two weeks ago, we moved with a great team. Moving is stressful and exhausting but everything turned out ok.

Yesterday, my long awaited piano was delivered! Here it is in its new room:

[Linked Image]

It’s beautiful and it sounds amazing, even though it needs to be tuned, of course. All new piano care tips are welcome! I will have the back side DampChaser installed and will have it tuned in a couple of weeks.

Gershwin wrote Rhapsody in Blue in 1924, and suffered many setbacks on his career. In honor of George, we had the robot piano play Rhapsody in Blue and we smiled at all we had come through. Our trials were mild compared to many, and we are grateful for every day we are still here.

Last edited by LarryK; 09/20/20 06:42 AM.
Re: The saga of my DYUS5
LarryK #3027052 09/20/20 06:57 AM
The piano and its setting look splendid. There is a shortened version of Rhapsody in Blue which came from the film. The title is "Melody from Rhapsody in Blue", still by George Gershwin. My copy says that it is copyrighted in 1927 by Harms inc New York.

Last edited by keff; 09/20/20 07:00 AM. Reason: typo
LarryK #3027060 09/20/20 07:18 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congrats on your new piano and your new home!!!

We bought and moved into our house last spring and I bought my piano in Aug 2019, so I can imagine all the stress you felt at various points on your journey!

Wishing you many happy years — with the piano and the house!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
LarryK #3027067 09/20/20 07:35 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
LarryK - it’s so great that you and your wife are 1) healthy and safe 2) new home owners 3) new Pennsylvanians 3) new piano with Disklavier option owners. Congratulations on all those things. The DYUS5 is an impressive upgrade and must sound gorgeous. Life delivers some interesting changes and personally might add that 2020 is an especially interesting year so far.
Really beautiful Yamaha Disklavier! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
LarryK #3027074 09/20/20 07:56 AM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks for the kind words, everybody, what a year but we are thankful that we are still healthy.

I read somewhere that stress is not necessarily bad if it spurs you to take action, and your actions alleviate the stress and improve your situation. We were able to do that at every step of the way.

The Wiki article on Rhapsody:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_in_Blue?wprov=sfti1

says that it was premiered in 1924. I will find the story of the night that George spent in the house we stayed in.

The light in this house from 1925 is just amazing, but, oh, single pane windows, what to do?

The inside wall on the other side of the kitchen is the only place the piano could go as every other wall has a window.

We also managed to move about a thousand pounds of stereo gear, and, miraculously, it all survived the trip. The piano is in the dining room and stereo in the living room. It all looks good and fits nicely.

LarryK #3027079 09/20/20 08:07 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Quite an interesting story, Larry. Almost like watching a good movie, but better, knowing you and your wife are real people and the events were real and true. Not Hollywood, where things are never as they seem. smile

Congratulations on your new, top-of-the-line Yamaha, and the new-to-you home. It looks lovely and inviting to me. Love the live plants on the other side of the room, near the window.

Enjoy your new piano, and your new home, with a musical history! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #3027086 09/20/20 08:39 AM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rickster
Quite an interesting story, Larry. Almost like watching a good movie, but better, knowing you and your wife are real people and the events were real and true. Not Hollywood, where things are never as they seem. smile

Congratulations on your new, top-of-the-line Yamaha, and the new-to-you home. It looks lovely and inviting to me. Love the live plants on the other side of the room, near the window.

Rick

Thanks Rick. This house does not have a musical history but the huge old Victorian we stayed in for a month hosted Gershwin for one night. Here is an article that mentions it:

https://pittsburghquarterly.com/articles/gershwin-in-pittsburgh/

My wife is proud of her plants and has plans for many more! We saved that palm off of the street in New York on one cold January day, perhaps fifteen years ago.

We moved our most precious things in a rental van. The palm counted as one of those precious things.

LarryK #3027091 09/20/20 08:50 AM
H
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Yamaha DYUS5 and your new house.

Beautiful piano in a very nice setting.

Enjoy both your new piano and home!

Hakki #3027093 09/20/20 08:51 AM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Hakki
Congratulations on your new Yamaha DYUS5 and your new house.

Beautiful piano in a very nice setting.

Enjoy both your new piano and home!

Thanks Hakki!

LarryK #3027095 09/20/20 08:54 AM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Here is the house that Gershwin spent a night in when he missed his train back to New York:

[Linked Image]

We spent a month on the third floor. The house still has ten foot ceilings all the way up there! This is a Victorian home, a behemoth, much more than we could afford to buy, maintain, or heat!

Our house is a Hulley house, a typical house for Pittsburgh. Hulley built about 700 homes. Our house was designed as a reaction against Victorian homes, which required servants to operate, and had staircases and rooms for servants. Our house does not have any of that.

Last edited by LarryK; 09/20/20 08:57 AM.
LarryK #3027159 09/20/20 11:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
That is a beautiful piano and a beautiful space Larry. Enjoy the piano. I am thrilled with the performance of the YUS-5 in comparison to what else is available in the marketplace - and the Disklavier is the pièce de résistance.

(I guess you know by now that Disklavier radio has an all George Gershwin channel?)

Congratulations!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
LarryK #3027173 09/20/20 12:41 PM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Congratulations! What a story, and speaks very highly of Yamaha, there is no doubt— To be such a large manufacturer but still go above and beyond. Lovely room you have set up. Many years of enjoyment to you.

Last edited by dhull100; 09/20/20 12:41 PM.
LarryK #3027182 09/20/20 01:20 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I love Crafstman style houses, Hulley built some of the classics in that area. Piano looks great in that room, it's like a trip into the early 1900s.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
LarryK #3027189 09/20/20 01:58 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
During these difficult times, a story ending with a new piano in a beautiful piano room and a new start in a lovely home--well, it warms the heart. Thank you for sharing with us!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Rich Galassini #3027213 09/20/20 02:58 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
That is a beautiful piano and a beautiful space Larry. Enjoy the piano. I am thrilled with the performance of the YUS-5 in comparison to what else is available in the marketplace - and the Disklavier is the pièce de résistance.

(I guess you know by now that Disklavier radio has an all George Gershwin channel?)

Congratulations!

Thanks Rich. Yes, I subscribed to Disklavier Radio and found the Gershwin channel. This thing is too much fun! It gets my foot tapping and puts a smile on my face, what else do I need?

I’m trying to figure out how to organize and play the thousands of midi files available. For instance, all of the ePiano competition recordings can be downloaded for free. There is a PianoStream app. Do you have any recommendations?

MarkL #3027217 09/20/20 03:02 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MarkL
I love Crafstman style houses, Hulley built some of the classics in that area. Piano looks great in that room, it's like a trip into the early 1900s.

Yes, we like Craftsman homes and we like Hulley’s design. It’s a two story house with a dormer. My wife is not tall and loves attic spaces and so she has claimed the 2 1/2 story for herself, lol.

The dining room cried out for a piano! It’s the right thing for the space and it fits perfectly.

Stubbie #3027220 09/20/20 03:04 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Stubbie
During these difficult times, a story ending with a new piano in a beautiful piano room and a new start in a lovely home--well, it warms the heart. Thank you for sharing with us!

You’re welcome! It is nice to have something good happen. I am grateful for all those people who helped us along the way, starting with the people in my company who helped us during the pandemic, my piano dealer who was so understanding, and the movers who did a great job.

Rickster #3027261 09/20/20 05:27 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L

Rick
I agree !
Larry you have your dream ✨ piano !
I wish you many hours of happy playing and listening!
🌻 Your piano looks beautiful, shiny ebony, mysterious, just waiting to be played.
Wishing you all the best in your lovely new 🏡 home .

Lady Bird #3027264 09/20/20 05:48 PM
L
LarryK Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Rick
I agree !
Larry you have your dream ✨ piano !
I wish you many hours of happy playing and listening!
🌻 Your piano looks beautiful, shiny ebony, mysterious, just waiting to be played.
Wishing you all the best in your lovely new 🏡 home .

Thanks Lady Bird! Instruments are to be explored. I look forward to many hours playing and listening. A house and plants are to be enjoyed.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mixing VST audio with external hardware audio
by Andrew_G - 11/28/20 02:42 AM
File, sand and/or needle inside my Baldwin?
by DanD - 11/28/20 01:18 AM
Hybrid piano too loud for my neighbor :(
by kiwibd - 11/27/20 07:19 PM
White noise
by QuasarPiano - 11/27/20 05:40 PM
Im Strolling Along With You
by Claude56 - 11/27/20 05:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,088
Posts3,027,965
Members99,391
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission