2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
74 members (Badger1966, anotherscott, 1957, Blague, 36251, AZNpiano, Beemer, 19 invisible), 482 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ES920 vs MP11SE
#3027016 09/20/20 04:50 AM
A
Antonym Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, so I've been looking for an MP11SE to be in stock in the US for the past half of the year without any luck (SW keeps pushing back stocks each month so I'm not sure if it's ever going to exist). I'm just wondering if I should just settle for the ES920. I'm not sure in terms of sound quality if it's better than that of the MP11SE but I'm sure the MP11 has better action. I'm not too concerned about the weight/size/lack of built-in speakers of the MP11SE just something I can still bring around and have great sound. Maybe there will be a new MP soon? Any advice?

Thanks guys in advanced!

Re: ES920 vs MP11SE
Antonym #3027025 09/20/20 06:31 AM
S
S
Surely this mostly comes down to action. Can't you put a deposit down for an MP11SE and at least have some sort of idea on when it will be available? I gather that most dealers do this, which is why there's never one in stock - there's a waiting list.

Seb Clement #3027263 09/20/20 06:43 PM
A
Antonym Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Seb Clement
Surely this mostly comes down to action. Can't you put a deposit down for an MP11SE and at least have some sort of idea on when it will be available? I gather that most dealers do this, which is why there's never one in stock - there's a waiting list.

Hi, thanks for the response. I have already done that at Sweetwater and Guitar Center but none have actually received stock for the past months. One of the reps from SW is telling me it's just being pushed back each month. I emailed Kawai as well but they don't know either. Maybe @Kawai James can have some input on the MP11SE production stocks? frown Thanks again!

Antonym #3027275 09/20/20 07:29 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
We seem to be well stocked in England . . . .with digital pianos, that is . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #3027285 09/20/20 08:00 PM
A
Antonym Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by peterws
We seem to be well stocked in England . . . .with digital pianos, that is . . .
I don't think I can trust overseas shipping for a product like this! If I did, I would purchase and reship in a blink of an eye!

Antonym #3028239 09/23/20 01:28 PM
M
M
I asked this question earlier this week to a Kawai dealer here in the UK which has multiple stores.

They said it wasn't going to be back in stock until early 2021 but no dates could be confirmed.

I wouldn't order one from overseas in case you have to get something fixed under warranty. Warranties don't often apply across territory borders.

Antonym #3028252 09/23/20 02:09 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
if you want a home piano , 920 for sure, the internal speakers is totally worth it.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Antonym #3028273 09/23/20 03:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Antonym
Hi, so I've been looking for an MP11SE to be in stock in the US for the past half of the year without any luck (SW keeps pushing back stocks each month so I'm not sure if it's ever going to exist). I'm just wondering if I should just settle for the ES920. I'm not sure in terms of sound quality if it's better than that of the MP11SE but I'm sure the MP11 has better action. I'm not too concerned about the weight/size/lack of built-in speakers of the MP11SE just something I can still bring around and have great sound. Maybe there will be a new MP soon? Any advice?

Thanks guys in advanced!

Hi Antonym,

These two instruments are aimed at different customers.
The challenge IMO for you is to fully define what it is you are looking for.

Let's start with action: The Grand Feel 1 action is one of the best actions, better than most if not all actions found in any portable piano or slab piano. The purchasers of the MP11/MP11SE are motivated by this, it tends to be a very popular instrument among classical pianists that need portability or are short of space.

The RHIII action on the other hand, this has clear benefits for the gigging musician. Although the ES920 is a portable rather than stage piano, it can be easily taken to wedding venues or private parties. For the one who wants simple quick easy operation for solo piano i.e., not a 4 piece band going through a PA, the ES920's RHIII action will be better than the Grand Feel 1 action at synth/organ parts.

Now, the MP11/MP11SE has stage functionality: better live control interface, more suited for live-setup (although, it's obviously not as good for that as the MP7SE due to the heavier action and it's weight being considerable). Perhaps if you are a pretty good pianist who wants a better action but still wants to go on stage, and you have Roadies to look after the MP11SE, then it's weight isn't an issue. You might have the MP11SE for piano parts, and another board for Synth/Organ etc.

Another market for the MP11SE is in the studio for piano: it's great action coupled with VSTs mean that this is a nice studio board.

On the other hand, let's say you're a student and are going to uni, you want a portable instrument to have in your room, but you want to take it across campus to play with some friends. The inbuilt speakers will serve your room, and the PA your friends have is good enough for you to plug and play..

So what I'm saying is: where do you align?

The MP7SE is a superior stage instrument for a few reasons: more parts, greater number of sounds, same more versatile action as the ES920. Maybe you should also consider this, if you have multiple uses listed above.

P.S. Although I don't know, my guess would be that any new MP instrument series will come at least a year after the new ES models, maybe more if Coronavirus continues in to a second year. In the past, the release of new MP instruments seems to lag behind the ES series. I imagine this is because they are far more complex to design and get right. Also, a lag allows Kawai to see how the customers like the improvements in the ES series.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/23/20 03:23 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Selling Kawai ES110
by Cutec - 10/21/20 12:26 PM
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,338
Posts3,015,738
Members98,970
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission