2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Originally Posted by Pedro Ruiz
There's always dangers in generalizations... and the title itself has a very elitistic smell...

I can agree that some reviews of ONE particular character, the typical 'cool' guy with sporty look and the language skills of a 3rd grader, are particularly annoying because he plays always almost on the same empty style... kinda sound jazzy but far away for what I consider myself JAZZ (in capital letters).

But the initial generalization is an insult to Bill Evans, Michel Petrucciani, Keith Jarrett, Gonzalo Rubalcaba and the long list of good jazz pianists that made their music a neutral ground between two worlds, the classical and the jazz music.

It's not black or white... there are millions of grey contrasts in between, don't judge music as politics.

BEST REGARDS

Ditto!

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
There's always dangers in generalizations... and the title itself has a very elitistic smell...

I can agree that some reviews of ONE particular character, the typical 'cool' guy with sporty look and the language skills of a 3rd grader, are particularly annoying because he plays always almost on the same empty style... kinda sound jazzy but far away for what I consider myself JAZZ (in capital letters).

But the initial generalization is an insult to Bill Evans, Michel Petrucciani, Keith Jarrett, Gonzalo Rubalcaba and the long list of good jazz pianists that made their music a neutral ground between two worlds, the classical and the jazz music.

It's not black or white... there are millions of grey contrasts in between, don't judge music as politics.

BEST REGARDS

Ditto!

I wasn't going to involve myself in such a generalization and a thread like this is really counter production. That being said my issue is YouTube reviews are free. There's no need to judge, just move on to reviews that suit your ears Or make your own reviews.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
How about some links to these bad jazz players?

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Stu Harrison is an intelligent reviewer and plays jazz piano quite well:

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
M
M
What's wrong with this review? This gentleman sold me Ivory ACD years before I bought it.

Roland FP-30
Komplete 12 Ult; Ivory 2 - ACD, Grand Pianos; Vilabs - ALL; Pianoteq - 7 PRO; Galaxy - Vintage D, Vienna Grand; Production Voices - All Kontakt libs; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AcousticSamples - All; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Beyers DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by magicpiano

That video triggers my classical OCD very badly

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by rintincop
How about some links to these bad jazz players?

This guy is does this quite a lot. Hammering down the keys like he is trying to break the keybed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8eUinFl3o&t=15s&ab

Last edited by karoloydi; 09/20/20 07:00 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When you post youtube videos in this forum, to let the users see it directly inside the thread, you have to "strip" the url from all the unnecessary things after the "?v=xxxxxxxxx" part, otherwise it would not work.

For example, this doesn't work
Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8eUinFl3o&t=15s&ab

But this works:

Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8eUinFl3o

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by karoloydi

Sorry but what's a "classical OCD"?

K
OP Offline
K

Sorry but what's a "classical OCD"?

It sounds so out of tune. I can't stand it. OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is when you want everything in the exact perfect place. Anything else drives you crazy.
I've heard that classical piece before and the parts that are not what I was expecting to be drive me crazy. Especially cause they sound out of tune.

Last edited by karoloydi; 09/20/20 07:52 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I, too, did not like that performance.

Jazz is great, but I see no need to insert wrong notes into a classical standard.

I've heard classics altered in many ways ... with the augmentations adhering to the harmonic structure of the original. This one does not.

The pianist seems quite talented. Why this monstrosity?

K
OP Offline
K
Compare these two videos. Huge difference. Second video could be edited, because it is a commercial, but a real review of this type would give you better understanding.

Last edited by karoloydi; 09/20/20 08:48 AM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
So, our example of "bad jazz" is Stuart from Merriam Music and our example of "good jazz" is Stuart from Merriam Music.

He's a versatile player!

K
OP Offline
K
Second one is Jakob Koller
https://www.jacobkoller.com/

I am sure Steven can play classical too. I am mostly complaining about the music being less suitable for reviews rather than the player.

Whats funny is the first comment on the Korg Video:
"Shopping for digital pianos, we need more demos like these! More classical music and less light jazz and elevator music please!"

Last edited by karoloydi; 09/20/20 08:57 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think some people here respond as though we discuss if jazz is good or bad. I'm not sure of the OP's intention, but I believe jazz is a high-quality music and there are some very talented improvisers who are able to create great solos, reharmonize tunes in a fresh way and apply mind-blowing progressions, etc. The thing though is a lot of jazz relies on syncopation, fast soloing, punchy chords and that isn't the most suitable music for demonstrating how notes blend, how legato works, how a long crescendo (that's made of smaller decrescendos throughout) adds to the feel, how long sustained notes evolve, how a lyrical rubato where notes are not played exactly at the same time (as written) is translated into poetry wink Sorry for these words but I don't know how to explain it better. And most of jazz doesn't use these devices, so it's harder for one to judge from a demo how the piano will sound with classical repertoire.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/20/20 09:00 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller

Agree. The majority of reviewers don't play actual jazz. They just play clichés.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I have nothing against jazz. Indeed, in an era dominated by pop music trash, jazz has been the last hope for music claiming to be art.

Yes!

Yamaha GB1K baby grand; Roland FP-80 & FP-7F; VI Labs Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX; Steinberg UR22mkII; Yamaha AG-03; Sennheiser HD 579 & HD 569; Zoom H5.
Me on YouTube: Duo Matschulat
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It sounds so out of tune. I can't stand it. OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is when you want everything in the exact perfect place. Anything else drives you crazy.
I've heard that classical piece before and the parts that are not what I was expecting to be drive me crazy. Especially cause they sound out of tune.
Well, that's a classical piece from Chopin that most of us known, so we are used to hear a certain "flow" of notes that the above "jazz" version disrupts. So you hear those different scales and you are like "What the ....!".

But who can really say those notes are "out of tune"? A scale is an increasing (or decreasing) succession of notes... There are no "out of tune" scales. It's the context in which these scales are played that can make you feel something off (for example a chord very dissonant with the scale).

Personally, I like very much this jazz version of that classic composition and appreciate very much the work the pianist made. She is clearly very talented. It's much more easy to stay in the "rails" the original composer wrote. She decided to break free and, after all, that's what Jazz is.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
So, our example of "bad jazz" is Stuart from Merriam Music and our example of "good jazz" is Stuart from Merriam Music.

He's a versatile player!
He is a good jazz pianist, but it's true he has this tendency to BANG on the keys very hard. In the above video you can hear even the noise of its fingers banging on the keys! laugh

S
S
I like Merriam Music piano reviews. Stu is a good player and reviews them thoroughly. He seems to answer my questions before I ask them. https://www.youtube.com/user/merriampianos There is so much to test in a piano and there are so many different setups and preferences that you will really only understand what you want after you play one yourself. I agree that most reviewers play some wishy washy elevator stuff on the pianos, but that's what THEY sound the best in, so can't blame them. I prefer a good elevator music to a poorly played classical piece as it distracts you from the instrument and shift the focus to the misery of the player.

-Kawai ES8
-Casio Privia PX330
-Casio Ct-X-800 (fun rhythms!)
- musical washboard and a kazoo
-Sennheiser HD598
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I think some people here respond as though we discuss if jazz is good or bad. I'm not sure of the OP's intention, but I believe jazz is a high-quality music and there are some very talented improvisers who are able to create great solos, reharmonize tunes in a fresh way and apply mind-blowing progressions, etc. The thing though is a lot of jazz relies on syncopation, fast soloing, punchy chords and that isn't the most suitable music for demonstrating how notes blend, how legato works, how a long crescendo (that's made of smaller decrescendos throughout) adds to the feel, how long sustained notes evolve, how a lyrical rubato where notes are not played exactly at the same time (as written) is translated into poetry wink Sorry for these words but I don't know how to explain it better. And most of jazz doesn't use these devices, so it's harder for one to judge from a demo how the piano will sound with classical repertoire.

I agree. Jazz is great music, but as someone who doesn't play jazz myself its hard for me to tell if I prefer the tone of one piano or another through jazz demos. Jazz seems to make any digital piano sound at least half decent.

Last edited by 88snowmonkeys; 09/20/20 08:43 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission