2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
44 members (Burkey, 1957, David Lai, clothearednincompo, ColoRodney, Calavera, 11 invisible), 405 guests, and 355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 163 of 169 1 2 161 162 163 164 165 168 169
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
David B #3026524 09/18/20 06:52 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
This thread is only 18 months old. Ours is 31 months old.

Kawai NV10
David B #3026567 09/18/20 10:45 PM
A
A
Haha fair. But I wonder why to be posting on the competition thread instead or nourishing the NV10 vs N1X? Or is it that eternal hesitation, never 100% happy with out final decisions that leads us to see how to neighborhood are leaving and see if we move with them?

On the other hand, I come forward with my most recent discoveries, aka issues with my new N1X:

When I play repeated notes like say the first page of "Après une lecture de Dante" by Liszt, if I play to forte the first note ( I note, the accent is in the second, or main note, but bare with me) , the second doesn't sound, gest muted, I wonder if it's the jack reload is too slow or something is wrongly calibrated. I know my technique isn't the best, but I tried a couple of pianos to see if the problem was me and no quite. I won't dear to open it until a Yamaha technician does it first so he's coming in a couple of weeks. Hopefully is fixable.

Also a high pitch/ high volume on a couple of notes. Oh, and the damper pedal clicks. Haha, he will have a day or two of work here. I mean, at 10.000 CAD I paid for it, I expect perfection.

Cheers,

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 09/18/20 10:50 PM.
Alexander Acosta #3026582 09/19/20 01:17 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Alexander Acosta
Haha fair. But I wonder why to be posting on the competition thread instead or nourishing the NV10 vs N1X? Or is it that eternal hesitation, never 100% happy with out final decisions that leads us to see how to neighborhood are leaving and see if we move with them?

I'm happy to say I'm very satisfied that I ended up with an NV10, and with respect to the N1X, there's no second-guessing for me. I do give pause when I hear what price some folks manage to get the N3X for.

What I fear, however, is that GAS will strike when the NV20 is announced. Thankfully, CG's recent comment that these actions will basically be good enough for the next 100-200 years helps keep me grounded!

I'm sure your issues will get resolved. Advanced pianists use the N1X, so not to fear. Who's your dealer? I think I bought my Yamaha P-80 from Steve's Music and I've done quite a bit of shopping at Archambault.

David B #3026605 09/19/20 03:50 AM
Nowadays, I find myself playing more with the internal voices of the N1X over VST. Although VST sound significantly more pleasant to the ears, the internal sounds just provides more of that tactile and organic feeling under my fingers. The bass registers are also a lot more powerful.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Beowulf #3026608 09/19/20 03:55 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Nowadays, I find myself playing more with the internal voices of the N1X over VST. Although VST sound significantly more pleasant to the ears, the internal sounds just provides more of that tactile and organic feeling under my fingers. The bass registers are also a lot more powerful.
Yeah, I feel the same way 👍🏻

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #3026620 09/19/20 04:58 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is what I'm hoping for ... if I can ever get one.
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Yeah, I feel the same way 👍🏻

MacMacMac #3026634 09/19/20 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Why wouldn't you be able to get one?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Beowulf #3026635 09/19/20 06:33 AM
They're sold out.

Alexander Acosta #3026642 09/19/20 06:55 AM
W
W
When I play repeated notes like say the first page of "Après une lecture de Dante" by Liszt, if I play to forte the first note ( I note, the accent is in the second, or main note, but bare with me) , the second doesn't sound, gest muted, I wonder if it's the jack reload is too slow or something is wrongly calibrated. I know my technique isn't the best, but I tried a couple of pianos to see if the problem was me and no quite. I won't dear to open it until a Yamaha technician does it first so he's coming in a couple of weeks. Hopefully is fixable.

Yikes, sorry to hear about those piano difficulties. I made a short video playing repeated double octave scales (each hand plays an octave, first staccato, then held):
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...NUVWdm1RTGpmSWNlYW5CbGhEa3Ztb1h6WHpQMFRR

I did four scales:
  • staccato: loud, held: loud
  • staccato: quiet, held: quiet
  • staccato: quiet, held: loud
  • staccato: loud, held: quiet

In other news (as you might've guessed), my N1X arrived yesterday! It still has the nice "new piano" smell (ie, what piano stores smell like). Anybody have an idea what I'm smelling? I suspect it's some combination of wood, plastic and oil...

I haven't bothered with VSTs yet; I'm enjoying treating the N1X as its own instrument and sight-reading Nocturnes. I do really love the ease of recording videos with OBS -- the video above is using the laptop's built-in webcam, plus N1X Bösendorfer audio through a USB cable.

Here are a couple pictures of the new piano, since for some reason I can't post images to the image gallery:

wronkyn #3026647 09/19/20 07:10 AM
Congrats on your new N1X!

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
MacMacMac #3026648 09/19/20 07:10 AM
They're sold out.
Are they not taking orders?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
navindra #3026678 09/19/20 08:27 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by navindra

I'm happy to say I'm very satisfied that I ended up with an NV10, and with respect to the N1X, there's no second-guessing for me. I do give pause when I hear what price some folks manage to get the N3X for.

What I fear, however, is that GAS will strike when the NV20 is announced. Thankfully, CG's recent comment that these actions will basically be good enough for the next 100-200 years helps keep me grounded!

I'm sure your issues will get resolved. Advanced pianists use the N1X, so not to fear. Who's your dealer? I think I bought my Yamaha P-80 from Steve's Music and I've done quite a bit of shopping at Archambault.

I got it at Archambault. So far they've been rather compliant, and patiente. I'll be a pain in the ass until is working the way I want, for this price, either of the two products you get, you expect perfection. And if it's a piano keyboard, you expect regulation possibilities. Let's see what happens.

On a side note, mind sharing why did you go for the NV10 instead of the N1X?

I actually went try again the NV10, at Piano Vertu and nope... Not for me. Altought again, the piano samples are more CD like, the speakers can't cope, and the piano vibrates in a weird, unnatural way, I don't like the subwoofer position. The base is powerful yet empty, lifeless. They action is too bouncy for my taste and the keys feel cheap. The headphones, I prefer the Binaural by far. Plus it looked cheaper made. My overall impression is they didn't get the best out of their potential for the final product, they needed to put a something out to compete and couldn't way no more to put everything together.

wronkyn #3026679 09/19/20 08:37 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by wronkyn

Yikes, sorry to hear about those piano difficulties. I made a short video playing repeated double octave scales (each hand plays an octave, first staccato, then held):

I did four scales:
  • staccato: loud, held: loud
  • staccato: quiet, held: quiet
  • staccato: quiet, held: loud
  • staccato: loud, held: quiet

In other news (as you might've guessed), my N1X arrived yesterday! It still has the nice "new piano" smell (ie, what piano stores smell like). Anybody have an idea what I'm smelling? I suspect it's some combination of wood, plastic and oil...

I haven't bothered with VSTs yet; I'm enjoying treating the N1X as its own instrument and sight-reading Nocturnes. I do really love the ease of recording videos with OBS -- the video above is using the laptop's built-in webcam, plus N1X Bösendorfer audio through a USB cable.

Here are a couple pictures of the new piano, since for some reason I can't post images to the image gallery:

Thanks a lot man! Gives me hope that is just an issue with mine. It has to be faster to happen. See if you can see this video. Unless is just a matter of my little hands and rusty technique. Mind the low volumen cause is 8am and don't want my neighbors knocking on my door.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K2RD6t6XiNk562Q9A

Alexander Acosta #3026697 09/19/20 09:59 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

it's not a competition. It's more of a collaboration of hybrid owners. A small group of people willing to pay the price for a digital piano with an acoustic piano action. 🤪

Kawai NV10
David B #3026705 09/19/20 10:16 AM
A small group indeed. And getting smaller. As in: I have seen Tyrone around here in a long while.

MacMacMac #3026710 09/19/20 10:24 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A small group indeed. And getting smaller. As in: I have seen Tyrone around here in a long while.

He mentioned, a couple of weeks ago, he was launching another business. Said he was fine, but really busy.

Kawai NV10
ˆTomLCˆ #3026712 09/19/20 10:30 AM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ

He mentioned, a couple of weeks ago, he was launching another business. Said he was fine, but really busy.

Mad respect...he's a serial entrepreneur, AND he has the discipline to stay away from here to focus on it (I couldn't ever do either, honestly).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #3026714 09/19/20 10:42 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ

Mad respect...he's a serial entrepreneur, AND he has the discipline to stay away from here to focus on it (I couldn't ever do either, honestly).
Hear, hear!

Alexander Acosta #3026908 09/19/20 08:24 PM
W
W
Thanks a lot man! Gives me hope that is just an issue with mine. It has to be faster to happen. See if you can see this video. Unless is just a matter of my little hands and rusty technique. Mind the low volumen cause is 8am and don't want my neighbors knocking on my door.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K2RD6t6XiNk562Q9A

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Here's a video of me playing some quadruplets:

I found it tricky to play these quadruplets cleanly, and had to pay close attention to my hand. (Though, same disclaimer: I haven't practised piano in months.) At least for me, it seems my instrument is quite unforgiving of sloppy technique here. You can tell that my initial quadruplets are okay, but as I start paying attention to my other hand (holding the camera), the quadruplets fall apart.

The last time attempted repeated notes like this was on a roughly 10 foot Steinway, which was very forgiving and made quick repetition easy. But I also suspect that instrument was more expensive than the N1X. ;-)

David B #3027005 09/20/20 03:18 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think the N1X needs a bit of playing in. I also had some problems in the beginning with some repeated notes that were with no sound. Or maybe my technique adapted to it with the time. Or both. But I don’t experience these anymore.

Page 163 of 169 1 2 161 162 163 164 165 168 169

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,862
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission