2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
37 members (Deltajockey, Burkey, dannylux, danlightbulb, EssBrace, 9 invisible), 405 guests, and 367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 162 of 169 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 168 169
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On
Gombessa #3023193 09/09/20 01:17 PM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
The car wax approach is really innovative. I don't know if it's "recommended" or not for various reasons (e.g., when I wax my car, there's usually a lot of wax dust/debris that falls off and I'd want to make sure it doesn't fall onto the keys or into the action. Also, waxing is usually outside in the open air and I'm not sure if there are concerns about using the wax indoors) but I imagine it's really effective, and I think I'll probably give it a shot as well smile

Paste wax does dry with a powdery film, but Meguiar's Liquid wax doesn't. For years I would only use paste wax on my cars because I felt it was a better application of the product. However, after talking with some reps at Meguiar's, I feel there is no practical benefit using their paste over liquid. The only reason they keep offering a paste option is because some people still cling to the idea that it's better. Liquid wax accomplishes the same thing at the molecular level. Liquid wax is also faster to apply and less messy since it never turns into the powdery substance.

Concerning off-gas and ventilation, Meguiar's does contain petroleum distillate and it might irritate some people. Professional detailers routinely work indoors/garages. Just open a window for a few minutes if you're sensitive to it. I actually love the way Meguiar's wax smells. I wish they made a soap/body wash version of it. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
Gombessa #3023204 09/09/20 01:47 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa
The car wax approach is really innovative. I don't know if it's "recommended" or not for various reasons (e.g., when I wax my car, there's usually a lot of wax dust/debris that falls off and I'd want to make sure it doesn't fall onto the keys or into the action. Also, waxing is usually outside in the open air and I'm not sure if there are concerns about using the wax indoors) but I imagine it's really effective, and I think I'll probably give it a shot as well smile

Not sure I'd ever go that far down this road myself, but I'd be interested to hear how it goes for other folks and other pianos... for science.

RonnieK #3023208 09/09/20 01:52 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonnieK
And is it possible to connect that sound card in any way so I can use the built in N1X speaker system as I do now? (without using the AUX IN ports)

The N1X supports audio over USB. It should be possible. Just install the Steinberg-Yamaha driver.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 09/09/20 01:52 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
David B #3023252 09/09/20 03:12 PM
A
A
So here it is! Sorry I had to cut the size cause it was to heavy.

I discovered something today. When on records à song using headphones, the sound it comes out after using the speakers is actually better than what it sound like if recorded directly from speakers if you know what I'm saying.

Why didn't then Yamaha sampled and proyected the Binaural sound from the speakers as it sounds better? Alas, it sounds less powerful and full, but less muffled also.

I just came to the conclusion that it sounds muffled because of it makes you decide between that, or the N2 and N3 that's sound more open due to the open lid or simple sound mixing. Same case with the keys material, pedals, etc. Anyways, I use mostly headphones and I'll learn to love the speakers sound cause the action is exactly what I needed, it's making me work!

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/3023247/its-here.html#Post3023247

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 09/09/20 03:18 PM.
David B #3023256 09/09/20 03:20 PM
The manual states that audio over USB has better quality but I've tried and it does not sound any different to me than using AUX IN. The advantages are that I have one fewer cable attached now and sounds can be produced from other applications even when my VST is on.

Would like to hear more from you guys if you notice any audio improvement, if anyone has tried it out.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
Frédéric L #3023363 09/09/20 07:56 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
And is it possible to connect that sound card in any way so I can use the built in N1X speaker system as I do now? (without using the AUX IN ports)

The N1X supports audio over USB. It should be possible. Just install the Steinberg-Yamaha driver.

Isn't audio-over-USB the same as using the instrument Audio Interface, as opposed to using the external interface?

Del Vento #3023364 09/09/20 07:59 PM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Del Vento
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

Isn't audio-over-USB the same as using the instrument Audio Interface, as opposed to using the external interface?

It is. I don't think Frederic understood what RonnieK was asking.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Beowulf #3023367 09/09/20 08:08 PM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Beowulf
The manual states that audio over USB has better quality but I've tried and it does not sound any different to me than using AUX IN. The advantages are that I have one fewer cable attached now and sounds can be produced from other applications even when my VST is on.

Would like to hear more from you guys if you notice any audio improvement, if anyone has tried it out.

I think the biggest advantage in sound quality is the ability of USB to practically eliminate unwanted noise in the signal. However, I think it would be difficult (impossible?) for most people to hear a difference if both signals are clean.

Also, as you mentioned, USB with the built-in audio interface is a simpler and more elegant design.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Alexander Acosta #3023377 09/09/20 08:22 PM
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Alexander Acosta
So here it is! Sorry I had to cut the size cause it was to heavy.

I discovered something today. When on records à song using headphones, the sound it comes out after using the speakers is actually better than what it sound like if recorded directly from speakers if you know what I'm saying.

CyberGene likes recording with the binaural CFX sample rather than the multi-channel CFX sample for the same reason.

Why didn't then Yamaha sampled and proyected the Binaural sound from the speakers as it sounds better? Alas, it sounds less powerful and full, but less muffled also.

I think you would lose the binaural effect if it came from he speakers since it was recored with mics in the ears of a dummy head to simulate a person wearing headphones.

I just came to the conclusion that it sounds muffled because of it makes you decide between that, or the N2 and N3 that's sound more open due to the open lid or simple sound mixing. Same case with the keys material, pedals, etc. Anyways, I use mostly headphones and I'll learn to love the speakers sound cause the action is exactly what I needed, it's making me work!

Yep, there are tradeoffs for the less expensive N1X. I would prefer the upgraded key tops and improved speakers, but not the extra price.

Looks really nice. Congratulations!

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
David B #3023494 09/10/20 05:43 AM
W
W
Originally Posted by David B
Hi wronkyn,
Thank you for sharing your experience. It was enjoyable to read. I also live in CA (Sierra foothills east of Modesto) and I'm choking today on all the smoke. It seems like the entire State is on fire this season. I'll try to answer a couple of your questions.

Thanks for the helpful answers, David! I've been cowering indoors the last two days as well. But I did wake up today to observe the beautiful shade of orange that is now the great outdoors: https://www.kqed.org/news/11837126/the-sky-really-is-kind-of-falling

The N1X is a dust magnet and the polished ebony seems to magnify every particle of dust that rests on the piano.
I purchased this microfiber towel from Amazon that works very well as a cover for the N1X. It's very soft, but it doesn't cover the pedals. I don't use it as a cover anymore since I play daily and I find it not necessary, but if I were to leave the piano unattended for an extended period of time, this is what I would use.

Thanks for the link! I like the colour coordination, too -- I like the idea of a lightweight piano blanket. I've always found properly positioning heavy grand piano covers pretty tricky.

It's easy for two people to move the piano around. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "prop it up," but I wouldn't do that. It's easy for one person to slide it around using those big sliders you linked to. While I don't keep them under the piano all the time, I used them to slide the piano into place when first assembled it. The sliders go under the four main vertical support points. Then lift and slide one side at a time inching it into place. Easy-peasy.

Thanks for the reassurances! It's good to know one person is enough to lift up the piano and place sliders underneath. The furniture sliders just arrived, so I'll test them out on the couch before the piano comes.

The action is pretty thumpy. Some people have had neighbors complain about the noise even when headphones were used. I guess you won't know until you get it.

Good to know! I'll probably experiment using concurrent audio output interfaces on the laptop, to direct the same synthesized sound to the headphones (normal volume) and to the N1X's built-in speakers (just enough to muffle the thumping), then. It seems like JACK makes this possible: https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html (even though they discourage it, due to clock drift).

Open-back headphones seem to be the ticket with these interments. Increased soundstage and more immersive sound. I found the Mass-drop HD58x to be a great value.

Thanks for the link; I just read up on soundstage, and am sufficiently convinced to experiment with it now. smile (Though, unfortunately, my current ambient background noise is: an air conditioner and one or two air purifiers!)

Wonderful! Sorry I couldn't offer more suggestions, but most of your questions require a certain level of experience of which I do not have. Congratulations on the purchase. Looking forward to your followup once it arrives.

Thanks, this has already been quite helpful! The rug delivery has been delayed a bit, so I pushed back the piano delivery to allow more time to rearrange. (The dealer didn't seem to mind hanging on to the instrument for another week; they sound pretty busy.)

navindra #3023501 09/10/20 06:19 AM
W
W
Originally Posted by navindra
Congrats wronkyn on your new purchase and thanks for sharing your in-depth thoughts!

Your point of view on all the N1X sounds being unrealistic is relatively unique, but many others here also use VSTs. It's hard to go wrong with something like the N1X!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the instrument!

As for the realism: I was able to find individual notes reasonably convincing. But when I tried to create textures, the sound just felt too thin, especially for the passages of music where pedalling the decay of held notes can create an ethereal shimmer if done right. An example of what I mean is the first 40 seconds of Chopin's Ballade no 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8p0VcTbuA.

I also found it slightly weird that depressing a key faster made the sound louder (as you'd expect), but didn't otherwise change it in the other ways I'd also expect. I could listen again more carefully when I get another chance!

Regarding "sound distortion" on the NV10, I'm not sure what you mean by that -- possibly a malfunction or the device was changed from the defaults? The NV5 and NV10 share the same sound engine although the speaker systems are very different.

I think your comment about some notes sticking out or resonating is a personal thing and is very common with acoustics as well. Generally this sort of thing is solved by adjusting the piano placement, room treatment, or perhaps touching things up with Virtual Technician.

That makes sense. I didn't notice any issues playing the nearby acoustic grands (also by Kawai), but I can believe more effort was spent adjusting those, even though they were all in the same room.

You are spot on regarding the USB to Host limitations of the Novus. I have found this interface to be useless, so I use the old-school MIDI I/O ports + 3.5mm input and this works fine. Bluetooth MIDI is also a nice perk, especially for apps.

Kawai does need to invest further on the USB to Host interface.

Do you have a trick for getting around the Bluetooth latency? I would love to reduce the number of cables hanging around.

The control panel is not unnecessary -- on the contrary! I barely need to use it, so I have it configured it to blank out by default. However, when I do need to use it, I'm very very glad it's there. You will discover the native interface limitations of the N1X very quickly but there are solutions to that.

Do you mean the random key presses to configure the N1X's settings? Yeah, I wasn't impressed when I learned about those, either. I just figure that any useful key combination is likely to stick, assuming these are easier to memorize than impressionistic atonal music. smile And I'm happy to not be distracted by the others.

Pianoteq is truly wonderful. Which instrument are you using? My current go-to is the Bechstein with a custom preset someone shared here.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet gotten that far -- my only working Linux laptop right now belongs to work. When I get a chance, I'm going to get my personal laptop dual-booting between Windows and Ubuntu Studio.

Though to answer the question, I'm also looking forward to the Steingraeber and Bluethner. I had the good fortune to play a bunch of Bechsteins a couple years ago; in Vancouver, there's a piano store in the Aberdeen shopping center that's full of them.

David B #3023517 09/10/20 07:57 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I’d recommend ‘blending’ Pianoteq (Steingraeber) with the N1X’s on-board CFX. It works very well for me (I also enjoy CFX solo).

I go into Pianoteq Pro and work on matching volume levels and note tuning to the CFX on a note per note basis; I do this only for the notes that sound badly out of tune (some notes match well automatically). I skip the upper-most/lower notes altogether because these notes are never played (lowest A and neighboring notes, for example). I just concentrate on the ‘usable’ registers. Also, I still like to leave some level of de-tuning because I find it makes the sound more organic (less perfect/clean).

I believe that the N1X might allow for note-per-note tuning (I’m not 100% sure), but I’m certain that it allows note-per-note volume. If note-per-note tuning is possible on the CFX (via the app) then perhaps you can perform the edits there and not on Pianoteq. As you may already know, you will need Pianoteq Pro for note-per-note edits.

I only work on volume/tuning (note per note) and maybe a little e.q. (globally). At some point I might try to fiddle with the mics on Pianoteq (positioning, etc.).

P.S.

I am doing this with a P-515.

wronkyn #3023555 09/10/20 10:08 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by wronkyn
Originally Posted by navindra
Congrats wronkyn on your new purchase and thanks for sharing your in-depth thoughts!

Your point of view on all the N1X sounds being unrealistic is relatively unique, but many others here also use VSTs. It's hard to go wrong with something like the N1X!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the instrument!

As for the realism: I was able to find individual notes reasonably convincing. But when I tried to create textures, the sound just felt too thin, especially for the passages of music where pedalling the decay of held notes can create an ethereal shimmer if done right. An example of what I mean is the first 40 seconds of Chopin's Ballade no 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8p0VcTbuA.

I also found it slightly weird that depressing a key faster made the sound louder (as you'd expect), but didn't otherwise change it in the other ways I'd also expect. I could listen again more carefully when I get another chance!

Regarding "sound distortion" on the NV10, I'm not sure what you mean by that -- possibly a malfunction or the device was changed from the defaults? The NV5 and NV10 share the same sound engine although the speaker systems are very different.

I think your comment about some notes sticking out or resonating is a personal thing and is very common with acoustics as well. Generally this sort of thing is solved by adjusting the piano placement, room treatment, or perhaps touching things up with Virtual Technician.

That makes sense. I didn't notice any issues playing the nearby acoustic grands (also by Kawai), but I can believe more effort was spent adjusting those, even though they were all in the same room.

You are spot on regarding the USB to Host limitations of the Novus. I have found this interface to be useless, so I use the old-school MIDI I/O ports + 3.5mm input and this works fine. Bluetooth MIDI is also a nice perk, especially for apps.

Kawai does need to invest further on the USB to Host interface.

Do you have a trick for getting around the Bluetooth latency? I would love to reduce the number of cables hanging around.

The control panel is not unnecessary -- on the contrary! I barely need to use it, so I have it configured it to blank out by default. However, when I do need to use it, I'm very very glad it's there. You will discover the native interface limitations of the N1X very quickly but there are solutions to that.

Do you mean the random key presses to configure the N1X's settings? Yeah, I wasn't impressed when I learned about those, either. I just figure that any useful key combination is likely to stick, assuming these are easier to memorize than impressionistic atonal music. smile And I'm happy to not be distracted by the others.

Pianoteq is truly wonderful. Which instrument are you using? My current go-to is the Bechstein with a custom preset someone shared here.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet gotten that far -- my only working Linux laptop right now belongs to work. When I get a chance, I'm going to get my personal laptop dual-booting between Windows and Ubuntu Studio.

Though to answer the question, I'm also looking forward to the Steingraeber and Bluethner. I had the good fortune to play a bunch of Bechsteins a couple years ago; in Vancouver, there's a piano store in the Aberdeen shopping center that's full of them.

Hi there.

For the Pedal decay: You can adjust the level of "Half pedal" to allow the pedal control of sound de decaying. Where exactly in the Ballade intro you use it? As I played it a lot when I was trying out then NV10 and N1X against each other. I found the NV10 more realistic but felt the speakers needed a couple years of development and tweaking all the already mentioned faults it has.

As for the keyboard: (I had a bad surprise when I couldn't play some repeated notes but went on YouTube and just found that my old Casio had messed with my technique. This N1X is the real deal, you have to know how to play in order to allow the escapement mechanism to reset enough to play another note, alas, is not the fastest around, but more than fasga enough if you know to use it ) To really answer your question, yes you can hit a note fast and it won't sound loud, if you play above the scapement

https://youtu.be/rJoA1w-k9ak

And the keys actually change tone/timbre depending of how you play, above the escapement will sound softer and rounder, beyond the escape will of course sound louder and if you play even harder the sound becomes more percussive as with any piano.

Hope it helps.

David B #3023606 09/10/20 12:29 PM
A
A
Behold! The N1X cover. It took a Walmart bought bed cover and self sticking velcro to hold it all together. A clip just to add extra tightness and I won't worry about it getting dirty or scratched ever again!

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/3023605/n1xcover.html#Post3023605

Pete14 #3023722 09/10/20 05:03 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Pete14
I believe that the N1X might allow for note-per-note tuning (I’m not 100% sure), but I’m certain that it allows note-per-note volume. If note-per-note tuning is possible on the CFX (via the app) then perhaps you can perform the edits there and not on Pianoteq. As you may already know, you will need Pianoteq Pro for note-per-note edits.

It's possible. If you go into individual key settings via app, you can select either tuning or volume on each note, with a toggle to compare so you can immediately hear the diff. I bumped up db on some keys I felt were softer than the others, but never touched the tuning settings (kinda weird function on a digital piano imo)

Last edited by woppa; 09/10/20 05:04 PM.
Alexander Acosta #3023892 09/11/20 05:50 AM
W
W
For the Pedal decay: You can adjust the level of "Half pedal" to allow the pedal control of sound de decaying. Where exactly in the Ballade intro you use it? As I played it a lot when I was trying out then NV10 and N1X against each other. I found the NV10 more realistic but felt the speakers needed a couple years of development and tweaking all the already mentioned faults it has.

Haha, I attempted to play the Ballade at the various piano stores as well! It took a few piano stores before I was able to remember the notes, since I currently lack a piano.

Depending on mood, I might use the pedal at the very beginning, to highlight the C octave, and then the A-flat major chord that emerges. For both this harmony and the long-held phrase-ending notes, I often enjoy gradually releasing the damper pedal, according to how much resonance is left and how much I want to pare it down. I think when I hooked the N1X up to Pianoteq, I was able to see 4 different pedal levels (but I'm not sure about that). It's a lot better than simply pedal on-or-off, I agree, but it's still discrete, so I do wonder what will happen when I return to an acoustic piano (with its continuous pedals).

Here's a video of me playing the Ballade in March, shortly before lockdown meant I couldn't practice piano anymore. (If you are curious, the funny noise at the beginning is the barista making a drink; the other background noises are more obvious.)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...NUVWdm1RTGpmSWNlYW5CbGhEa3Ztb1h6WHpQMFRR

As for the keyboard: (I had a bad surprise when I couldn't play some repeated notes but went on YouTube and just found that my old Casio had messed with my technique. This N1X is the real deal, you have to know how to play in order to allow the escapement mechanism to reset enough to play another note, alas, is not the fastest around, but more than fasga enough if you know to use it ) To really answer your question, yes you can hit a note fast and it won't sound loud, if you play above the scapement

That's great to hear! At the piano store, I was able to repeat a single note roughly 6 times a second, using a 3-2-1-3-2-1... etc fingering. I take a pretty lazy approach, where I allow my finger to rest (very loosely!) on the key until it reaches the key bed, and then use the upwards key pressure to help propel my finger up again. This allows my next finger to then weigh down on the key, once it's returned to just above the escapement.

Thanks a lot for introducing me to Dr Aaron's YouTube videos -- I'm enjoying them. I'm somewhat disappointed I didn't have access to these insights as a young student, but on the other hand, it's reassuring to know that my experience and perspective still largely agree with his. He wrote his doctoral thesis on approaches to piano tone quality and colour, which I bet would be a fascinating read. But I also liked this other YouTube video of his (which possibly summarizes it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKz1ON-6gVg

And the keys actually change tone/timbre depending of how you play, above the escapement will sound softer and rounder, beyond the escape will of course sound louder and if you play even harder the sound becomes more percussive as with any piano.

Hope it helps.

That's really interesting, it never occurred to me to try different key depths. I believe it's possible to capture these soft, rounder tones even when playing beyond the escapement to the key beds, so I strive to do that (especially with the Schubert Impromptu in the demonstration video). Of course, it's much harder, since it requires eliminating all unnecessary body motion and tension, except for tiny bits of concentrated tension at the fingertips on impact, and very carefully positioning the wrists to allow gravity to work effectively.

Side note: does the escapement signal carry over to PianoTeq, or is it only available to the built-in N1X synthesis? (I know very little about MIDI, but my impression was that it represents "note start" events as discrete velocity values, and doesn't track the hammer positions.)

wronkyn #3023930 09/11/20 08:45 AM
A
A

Haha, I attempted to play the Ballade at the various piano stores as well! It took a few piano stores before I was able to remember the notes, since I currently lack a piano.

Depending on mood, I might use the pedal at the very beginning, to highlight the C octave, and then the A-flat major chord that emerges. For both this harmony and the long-held phrase-ending notes, I often enjoy gradually releasing the damper pedal, according to how much resonance is left and how much I want to pare it down. I think when I hooked the N1X up to Pianoteq, I was able to see 4 different pedal levels (but I'm not sure about that). It's a lot better than simply pedal on-or-off, I agree, but it's still discrete, so I do wonder what will happen when I return to an acoustic piano (with its continuous pedals).

Here's a video of me playing the Ballade in March, shortly before lockdown meant I couldn't practice piano anymore. (If you are curious, the funny noise at the beginning is the barista making a drink; the other background noises are more obvious.)

That's great to hear! At the piano store, I was able to repeat a single note roughly 6 times a second, using a 3-2-1-3-2-1... etc fingering. I take a pretty lazy approach, where I allow my finger to rest (very loosely!) on the key until it reaches the key bed, and then use the upwards key pressure to help propel my finger up again. This allows my next finger to then weigh down on the key, once it's returned to just above the escapement.

Thanks a lot for introducing me to Dr Aaron's YouTube videos -- I'm enjoying them. I'm somewhat disappointed I didn't have access to these insights as a young student, but on the other hand, it's reassuring to know that my experience and perspective still largely agree with his. He wrote his doctoral thesis on approaches to piano tone quality and colour, which I bet would be a fascinating read. But I also liked this other YouTube video of his (which possibly summarizes it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKz1ON-6gVg

Hope it helps.

That's really interesting, it never occurred to me to try different key depths. I believe it's possible to capture these soft, rounder tones even when playing beyond the escapement to the key beds, so I strive to do that (especially with the Schubert Impromptu in the demonstration video). Of course, it's much harder, since it requires eliminating all unnecessary body motion and tension, except for tiny bits of concentrated tension at the fingertips on impact, and very carefully positioning the wrists to allow gravity to work effectively.

Side note: does the escapement signal carry over to PianoTeq, or is it only available to the built-in N1X synthesis? (I know very little about MIDI, but my impression was that it represents "note start" events as discrete velocity values, and doesn't track the hammer positions.)

Nicely played the Ballade! Piano technique is a long way, I bet is one of the hardest instruments to master, with all due respect to other instrument players. I believe the N1X, if not perfect, it offers more than enough to develope an above average technique. If the NV10 next generation comes with Binaural and fix a couple of sounds, key tunning, USB interface, etc problems, it could be surpassing the N1X. Unless Yamaha finally listen and provide us with a 10-13k AG that matches the NV10 keyboard and sound tone.

In the meanwhile, I think that there is little you won't be able to manage to master with the Yamaha and shouldn't be suffering a lot when moving to a grand.

According to some serious pianists I've had listened, when they practice in the AG and go perform after in a grand, they have no problems, it won't mess with your technique. And you know, every piano, ever concert venue ask you to modify in some way pedal and technique to adjust.

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 09/11/20 08:48 AM.
wronkyn #3025216 09/15/20 02:09 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

OK that was quite exciting at the first climax. You kept your composure amazingly well, certainly better than this guy! laugh

[Linked Image]

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
David B #3026519 09/18/20 06:46 PM
A
A
I wonder why NV10 fellas are so chatty on their "Hands on" group and we're rather quite. Is not like everything is said on the good and the ugly of the N1X.

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 09/18/20 06:46 PM.
David B #3026521 09/18/20 06:48 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe you guys are too busy playing the piano, and we're too busy disassembling and poking around the insides on ours wink

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Page 162 of 169 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 168 169

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission