2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
62 members (Charles Cohen, Beowulf, Carey, 3x4rt, anotherscott, BbAltered, 18 invisible), 398 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best Piano lessons software?
#3025908 09/17/20 06:55 AM
J
JackQ89 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am looking for software online courses that can help learning piano, something that teach methods that makes easy playing complex songs
and can connect to usb.

thanks

Owner of Roland LX-705 LA, But fan of Kawai
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Best Piano lessons software?
JackQ89 #3025925 09/17/20 08:15 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Piano Marvel
https://pianomarvel.com/

Playground Sessions
https://www.playgroundsessions.com/

Simply Piano
https://www.joytunes.com/

Yousician
https://yousician.com/

FlowKey
https://www.flowkey.com/en

ArtistWorks
https://artistworks.com/piano-lessons

PianoForAll
https://pianoforall.com/

There are others too. Give them a try and see what you like best.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha DC3X Enspire Pro
YouTube
[Linked Image]
JackQ89 #3025926 09/17/20 08:16 AM
F
F
Depends on what your goals are what you think how you stay motivated the best. So what are your goals?

JackQ89 #3025929 09/17/20 08:30 AM
M
M
Alright,

I've tried 3 of those choices. Playground Sessions. Yousician and PianoForAll.

Yousician has a very videogame gimicky approach. Think guitar hero but with a piano/keyboard. To be fair I tried it years ago and it was just beginning to offer piano "lessons". It might have gotten better with time. It was fun. Just lacking if you want to learn how to read music sheets or piano theory. Oh and also yousician was at the origin only for guitar. They tacked pinao and bass along the way.

PianoForAll I wouldn't call a software. You won't plug your piano digitally. It consists of books and videos to accompany the books. It has a very interesting approach to learning and has a big fanbase that swear by it. It starts with chords real fast and gives you theory along the way. I didn't go too far in the method, but had fun with it.

Playground Sessions is probably the closest I tried that match what you are looking for. It has theory, it has a very structured bootcamp where they teach you skills and let you play parts of songs along the way. They have an EXTENSIVE catalogue of arrangment for you to play and some of them have video support. The weakest part of the software is that it is OLD ! It is fonctionnal, but you will have to learn about the bugs and how to get around them. It has a set of tools that make learning songs effortlessly. I had a great time with it.

I didn't try piano marvel, but I've heard it is the most serious one. Offering a lot of theory and preparing you for actual classical exams.

Yamaha P-515
mareg #3025937 09/17/20 09:30 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by mareg
Playground Sessions is probably the closest I tried that match what you are looking for. It has theory, it has a very structured bootcamp where they teach you skills and let you play parts of songs along the way. They have an EXTENSIVE catalogue of arrangment for you to play and some of them have video support. The weakest part of the software is that it is OLD ! It is fonctionnal, but you will have to learn about the bugs and how to get around them. It has a set of tools that make learning songs effortlessly. I had a great time with it.

I agree with this. I used it for a year. You learn keyboard, not piano, but if that is what you are looking for and you just want to play song arrangements rather than repertoire written for solo acoustic piano, then I would say Playground Sessions would be a great choice. I had no issues with the software, but I used the PC version and I believe the iOS version may not be as good. I don't think there is an Android version.

And if down the track you want to learn solo piano repertoire it will have given you a good solid grounding in reading and "learning how to learn".

Last edited by scirocco; 09/17/20 09:30 AM.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45. Yamaha RD-250 (a long time ago). smile
JackQ89 #3025948 09/17/20 10:39 AM
C
C
I've used both Piano Marvel (PM) and Playground Sessions (PS).

PM has an extensive "technique" and "method" section. They are much more thorough than the "bootcamp" in PS. The bootcamp in PS will get you to a level of being able to "have fun" at the piano, but you won't be at the level of a serious piano student who has been taking weekly lessons for a couple years.

The library in PM is also much more comprehensive with an emphasis on classical repertoire (although I have come across come pop and jazz tunes). PS emphasizes pop music (including music from the 1960s/70s up to today), broadway-type tunes, etc. There are some classical pieces as well, but they are few are far between compared to their library of non-classical music.

Hope that helps and good luck!

[Linked Image]
mareg #3025951 09/17/20 11:05 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I didn't try piano marvel, but I've heard it is the most serious one. Offering a lot of theory and preparing you for actual classical exams.

While I agree that Piano Marvel is likely “the most serious one” of the bunch, I disagree that it can actually prepare a student for actual classical exams. A student that does exams must learn to play musically, and at a beginner’s level, that means observing dynamic markings and articulation, such as forte, piano, crescendo, decrescendo, staccato and legato, for example. Piano Marvel does not teach any of that. The program is incapable of it.

It does offer SASR which is a sight-reading test of sorts, which many people like. And that is similar to one part of what is required on actual exams.

I also do not remember seeing any theory being taught...

What it does do well is teaching you to hit the right notes at the right time, progressively, in 6 levels. It does this well and is very fun. That’s pretty much it.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 09/17/20 11:13 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
JackQ89 #3025961 09/17/20 11:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was looking at PianoMarvel but it has no Android support. They need to move with the times!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1

My Facebook Piano Group
WeakLeftHand #3025972 09/17/20 12:23 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

While I agree that Piano Marvel is likely “the most serious one” of the bunch, I disagree that it can actually prepare a student for actual classical exams. A student that does exams must learn to play musically, and at a beginner’s level, that means observing dynamic markings and articulation, such as forte, piano, crescendo, decrescendo, staccato and legato, for example. Piano Marvel does not teach any of that. The program is incapable of it.

It does offer SASR which is a sight-reading test of sorts, which many people like. And that is similar to one part of what is required on actual exams.

I also do not remember seeing any theory being taught...

What it does do well is teaching you to hit the right notes at the right time, progressively, in 6 levels. It does this well and is very fun. That’s pretty much it.

There is some music theory within the PM method and technique sections (e.g., chord construction, inversions, progressions, etc.), but you do have to make a conscious effort to absorb that information rather than just "plug and chug" through the program. Also, PM is designed to be used with the guide of a teacher. There's actually a network of teachers who use PM (although a lot of people use the software for their own self teaching). I agree with you -- none of these software programs alone will teach you the "musical" aspects of piano like dynamics, phrasing, articulation and the like. You need the guidance of a good teacher for that.

[Linked Image]
CLM Piano Learner #3025975 09/17/20 12:35 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by CLM Piano Learner
There is some music theory within the PM method and technique sections (e.g., chord construction, inversions, progressions, etc.), but you do have to make a conscious effort to absorb that information rather than just "plug and chug" through the program.

Ok, I clearly did not consider that to be the teaching of theory. I wasn’t aware enough to “get” that. That is, no one told me. Lol.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 09/17/20 12:38 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
JackQ89 #3026279 09/18/20 06:52 AM
F
F
I have written an article about what I think are the 11 best online piano methods. You can have a look on my website (link in the signature).

I had a lot of fun with Skoove for example, especially for getting started.

PianoMarvel is a solid curriculum if you want to go further, more geared towards classical or jazz I would say. There is a whole thread here on this method that you should check out.

Flowkey has nice modern interface and plenty of songs to learn in their library, more focused on "modern" music even you have a bit of everything.

What is your goal?
You should start with that.
Why you want to learn? Which music genre?
Do you want to play pop music in a band or classical music in your bedroom?

It might help you to know what to do.
And it will help us to help you smile

Your home to start playing the piano and keyboards:
https://www.guide2music.com
JackQ89 #3026314 09/18/20 09:52 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is there a free one? I can't afford a teacher or to pay a monthly fee.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1

My Facebook Piano Group
JackQ89 #3026361 09/18/20 12:07 PM
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
@Larryshone

Check out your public Library and see if they have any online courses like Udemy.
Here in the States my local library does. I link onto Udemy from my library account and can take quite a few piano courses if I wanted to. I searched fro the heck of it just last week. I mainly have been going over the speaking type of courses as I'm more of an introvert. I have been impressed at the depth of courses on Udemy and I have access to a lot but not all for free. YMMV

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
JackQ89 #3026375 09/18/20 12:26 PM
M
M
PianoForAll is available on Udemy. It is where I got it myself. I remember paying a very low price for it. Perhaps 10$ for the whole thing.

Yamaha P-515
LarryShone #3026379 09/18/20 12:35 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by LarryShone
Is there a free one? I can't afford a teacher or to pay a monthly fee.

PianoForAll on Udemy is not free but you can get it for less than $20 and it will be all you might need for years.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq and Disklavier XP
by bSharp(C)yclist - 10/30/20 01:30 PM
The problem of ear to hand
by John 656 - 10/30/20 01:25 PM
Bluthner upright pianos
by Starre - 10/30/20 12:49 PM
Tuning Pin Bushings Prevent Glue Seepage
by Duaner - 10/30/20 12:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,491
Posts3,018,761
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission