2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (Bouson, 36251, clothearednincompo, Burkey, David B, Beowulf, Badger1966, 7 invisible), 369 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Who are the best pianists in the world today?
PianoEntropy #3026038 09/17/20 03:19 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by PianoEntropy
It just depends on what you mean by best. In terms of commercial success, there are richest pianists, e.g.

10. Yuja Wang
9 Lang Lang.
8 Yanni.
7 Daniel Barenboim.
6 Bruno Mars.
5 Bob Dylan.
4 Billy Joel.
3 John Williams
2 Elton John
1 Andrew Lloyd Webber
Source: https://www.therichest.com/luxury/pianists-rich-world/

But different lists don't fully agree. Now you will of course tell me that commercial success does not necessarily mean musically best, but it's one of the few non-subjective measures that exist to evaluate your question. Anything else is just personal taste.

If you have a list like this but ONLY classical music, then perfect. Preferably contemporary, or under age 50.

Yamaha P-515
In the market for an acoustic grand.
onaiplatigid #3026040 09/17/20 03:22 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The best pianists in the world today, and the most recognized?

There's only one, and he's even in the Guinness Book of World Records (disclaimer: I don't drink alcohol, and I'm in no way promoting the undoubtedly excellent beer, even though I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole) as "the most successful pianist in the world".

Even my momma (bless her heart) adores him - she once asked me (after I blazed through Rondo capriccioso at full pelt) why can't I play like him......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
onaiplatigid #3026047 09/17/20 03:35 PM
S
S
Well... In my opinion I don't really like Valentina Lisitsa ( and maybe Lang lang the following comment goes for him too)(do not attack me!). She is really talented but i dont really feel the emotions from a lot of her playing. Evgeny Kissin is alright. Though I hate the fact that a lot of his playings are way too romantisised (yes especially a lot of his Chopin) I have two amazing pianists. Paul barton. He plays the best Bach, evoking emotion and technique making the pieces as "romantic" as it should be. His wtc collection is sooo good, he is the reason i actually love Bach I used ti despise him. He is actually my idol in piano. He never lets me down. His Saint saens recordings (especially the aquarium) are brilliant. From his Chopin Valses to his Scarlatti sonatas this guy is a diamond! And of course Arthur Rubinstein. Amazing Chopin performances. Pletnev is also pretty good! Please if you like any of the pianists I mentioned continue doing so! They are just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Small Pianist 66; 09/17/20 03:38 PM. Reason: Mistake
ranjit #3026074 09/17/20 04:28 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ranjit
I don't think that's true. Think of a savant, and think of a mere genius like Einstein or his contemporaries. You need to distinguish between simply very high intelligence and the savant syndrome.

Understanding does not come from millions of pages of information. By that measure, the best music producing intelligence would be some of the recent deep learning AI algorithms, but as of yet, they don't really produce any music of note.

The real understanding comes from a dense network of associations, common threads and frameworks behind a large body of knowledge. Having seen mathematicians in action (maybe not the very best but still really good ones), what are them apart is their ability to perceive difficult-to-see yet profound analogies and associations, often drawing from disparate bodies of knowledge in an incredible way. However, they do not typically have an extraordinary memory. They are able to do a lot with very little information by applying logic and intuition.

Savants have a very large memory, but less ability to generalize and draw upon their knowledge. That is why you very rarely see savants in mathematics (I'm referring to mathematicians and not human calculators). The same imo holds with musicians. The best musicals are able to master all the common musical concepts and more, and execute it in a way that seems organic and results in listeners perceiving additional layers of depth.

My point is that we should not apply such a rigid definition of what constitutes good pianism/ music.

For example, an F1 car is not street legal, and it's often physically undrivable on public roads due to parts clearance. Does that make it a bad car ? Because it doesn't have road car characteristics ?

On the other side of savant-syndrome is the god-like talent.

Why does music need to be understood, or be connected/ constructed as we normally hear it. Music doesn't even have to sound good. There are no such rules. That's just the convention, and momentum of taste. Again, Beer taste like bitter urine, it's basically bacterial excrement, but people will critique how good or bad certain ones taste.

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/17/20 04:32 PM.
jeffcat #3026101 09/17/20 05:17 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Why does music need to be understood, or be connected/ constructed as we normally hear it. Music doesn't even have to sound good. There are no such rules. That's just the convention, and momentum of taste. Again, Beer taste like bitter urine, it's basically bacterial excrement, but people will critique how good or bad certain ones taste.
It doesn't have to be constructed as we hear it. The problem with your argument for complete subjectivity is that it makes it completely impossible to discuss. You could very well say -- every noise in the planet is music; fight me. And no one could prove you wrong. But that makes it impossible to discuss anything related to music.

Why do you need to limit yourself to the god like talent and the savant? You could also include your average layman's music, and say that the music is in the very imperfection characterized by lack of refinement.

What we normally understand by great art is something which brings a surprising symmetry, pattern or phenomenon to light. A revelation or innovation, unique to the individual and yet universal in some sense.

onaiplatigid #3026103 09/17/20 05:21 PM
R
R
Zimmerman
Argerich
Sokolov
Hamelin
Yuna Wang
Lang Lang
Kissin
Barenboim
Berezovsky

onaiplatigid #3026105 09/17/20 05:27 PM
Is it just me that doesn’t get Barenboim? He can play of course, but in the stuff I’ve listened to his playing doesn’t excite me at all. Show me something to change my mind...

onaiplatigid #3026120 09/17/20 06:13 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Yuja Wang, 33
Lang Lang, 38

Valentina Lisitsa, 46
Evgeny Kissin, 48

Boris Berezovsky, 51
Paul Barton, 57
Marc-André Hamelin, 59

Mikhail Pletnev, 63
Krystian Zimerman, 63

Grigory Sokolov, 70
Mitsuko Uchida, 71
Garrick Ohlsson, 72
Daniel Barenboim, 77
Argerich, 79

Alfred Brendel, 89

Last edited by onaiplatigid; 09/17/20 06:16 PM.

Yamaha P-515
onaiplatigid #3026121 09/17/20 06:15 PM
O
OP Offline
O

Last edited by onaiplatigid; 09/17/20 06:16 PM.

Yamaha P-515
onaiplatigid #3026122 09/17/20 06:16 PM
S
S
Omg how could I forget angerich! Thank you for reminding me! He is truly mesmerizing! I'm glad to see another Paul Barton and Pletnev fan! It's really refreshing!

onaiplatigid #3026132 09/17/20 07:03 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Maybe not the best, maybe not recognized or world-renowned but I just learned that NOBUYUKI TSUJII (32) is a concert pianist and blind.

https://youtu.be/Bj_DgWSI5ZM

Yamaha P-515
Small Pianist 66 #3026174 09/17/20 09:49 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Small Pianist 66
Omg how could I forget angerich! Thank you for reminding me! He is truly mesmerizing!

Eh?

Zimerman is my choice I guess for no. 1.

Kissin is a funny one. He has a quirky style, but he is quite brilliant in his own way.

Lisitsa is same as Kissin in this respect.

I think Zimerman takes it for consistency and discipline in his playing. The rest of them, including Hamelin IMHO are slightly more inconsistent.

It's the same in sport, the most consistent usually end up winning at the top levels, they're all of equal brilliance so merit is a kind of given.

ranjit #3026287 09/18/20 07:44 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It doesn't have to be constructed as we hear it. The problem with your argument for complete subjectivity is that it makes it completely impossible to discuss. You could very well say -- every noise in the planet is music; fight me. And no one could prove you wrong. But that makes it impossible to discuss anything related to music.

Why do you need to limit yourself to the god like talent and the savant? You could also include your average layman's music, and say that the music is in the very imperfection characterized by lack of refinement.

What we normally understand by great art is something which brings a surprising symmetry, pattern or phenomenon to light. A revelation or innovation, unique to the individual and yet universal in some sense.

That's not what I've said.

The savant syndrome causes the rewiring which dedicates a huge portion of the brain's processing power TO skillsets relevant to music.

Similar to how Einstein routinely forgot where he lived or what's happening in the world outside of his Physics. Unlike Einstein, for the Savant their -talent- is not deliberate.

So, for the Savants, as a matter of the musical capacity which isn't defined by music as we hear / understand it commonly, May be in a higher realm all together.

This is why I added the separation of Stage experience in my first post.

There's Music as a Total Capacity, with Increased or decreased dimensionality.

Then there's Music as a narcotic, which is what the general public consumes. It sounds good, Yawn....

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/18/20 07:49 AM.
leemeadowcroft #3026307 09/18/20 09:28 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by leemeadowcroft
Is it just me that doesn’t get Barenboim? He can play of course, but in the stuff I’ve listened to his playing doesn’t excite me at all. Show me something to change my mind...

He did very good recordings of the Mozart piano concerto when he was much younger with the English Chamber Orchestra. For example,

https://youtu.be/AHoe0WodS4w

onaiplatigid #3026310 09/18/20 09:39 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
Yuja Wang, 33
Lang Lang, 38

Valentina Lisitsa, 46
Evgeny Kissin, 48

Boris Berezovsky, 51
Paul Barton, 57
Marc-André Hamelin, 59

Mikhail Pletnev, 63
Krystian Zimerman, 63

Grigory Sokolov, 70
Mitsuko Uchida, 71
Garrick Ohlsson, 72
Daniel Barenboim, 77
Argerich, 79

Alfred Brendel, 89

You can add a bunch of old and young pianists to that list, Radu Lupu, Nelson Freire, Pollini !!!, Anderzewsky, Yumiana Avdeeva, Trifonov, Grosvenor, Blechacz, Yeol Eum Son, Leif Ove Andsnes, Perahia, Schiff, Ashkenazy, Pires, ..........

onaiplatigid #3026346 09/18/20 11:31 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Lots of good names mentioned but I think Krystian Zimerman, Murray Perahia, and Lugansky belong on the list.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
onaiplatigid #3026371 09/18/20 12:24 PM
R
R
Do Perahia and Lugansky still perform?

ranjit #3026382 09/18/20 12:40 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Do Perahia and Lugansky still perform?

There are concerts scheduled with Perahia next year. Lugansky had concerts scheduled in Paris this year which have been cancelled due ton Covid.

There are plenty of other pianists i have note listed. There are so many talents. Ronald Brautigam or Béatrice Rana, ......

onaiplatigid #3026385 09/18/20 12:47 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Keith Jarrett *ducks*

KlinkKlonk #3026386 09/18/20 12:54 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Keith Jarrett *ducks*

IMHO, you don’t need to duck

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,843
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission