2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (Calavera, Gretel, Gustavo Guerra, FloRi89, EVC2017, CyberGene, Greta99, clothearednincompo, 1957, 8 invisible), 417 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Correcting Memorized Mistakes
#3025613 09/16/20 12:19 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I am an intermediate adult pianist and enjoy learning pieces that are a little above my skill level. I know that this may not be a good idea, but I get bored easily with easier pieces. If I really like a piece, I will memorize it so I can play it without sheet music. When I start to learn it, I use sheet music, but relatively quickly I end up focusing on my hands, chords, etc. I think I do this for 2 reasons. One is to be able to play it without the sheet music. The second reason is that with jumps etc. I have to glance down at the keyboard and depending on the complexity of the piece, I get lost glancing back and forth at the music and my hands. So eventually I end up memorizing without the music.
I have memorized several pieces in this way, and I think I can play them just as well as if I was using sheet music. Problem is that if I don't play the piece in a while, I might forget portions or make mistakes. It is really easy to memorize the mistake. So my question is, how do you repair a memorized piece with mistakes. Is it best to start over from the beginning, measure by measure and practice the areas that you've forgotten or which have become sloppy? Thanks in advance.

Re: Correcting Memorized Mistakes
PabloLASF #3025635 09/16/20 01:07 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Slowly play through the music with the score to check for mistakes. Do this on a regular basis with all your pieces. It could be weekly, monthly, or whatever fits into your schedule. When you identify a mistake, discipline yourself to play it slowly and correctly every time. Do not increase your tempo until you get it right every time. Gradually increase your tempo and NEVER play the mistake again.

Best regards,

Deborah
PabloLASF #3025636 09/16/20 01:17 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Use the book. Be able to start from any random spot in the music. Pick a random note, and start playing from there until the end.

Repeat this from many random spots in the music.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
PabloLASF #3025697 09/16/20 03:29 PM
R
R
I have the same problem. Comes from trying to rush a piece. It's often easier to memorize patterns than to read and play when you're not ready to play at the tempo you picked. Your brain just can't keep up with reading.

Since you're more just memorizing simpler patterns rather than really memorizing the music this way, it's easy to mess up and forget.

My wife chews me out for this pretty frequently.

If the piece is too difficult to play and follow along the sheet music, you maybe should be practicing each hand individually to really learn them well before combining the two hands.

Like AZNpiano mentioned actually memorizing a piece of music should mean being able to play starting from any random note in the piece.

PabloLASF #3025742 09/16/20 05:35 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks very much to everyone. Very useful information for me. Totally makes sense. I think I have been trying to take shortcuts. But they come back to bite you. smile

PabloLASF #3025785 09/16/20 07:26 PM
W
W
When I am preparing to play something in a recital, I take time to write down the score from memory. It helps me to feel more solid, even if it's just psychology. It may help you to look at your mistakes and figure out why you keep doing it and why the composer's writing makes better sense.

wszxbcl #3025789 09/16/20 07:35 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wszxbcl
When I am preparing to play something in a recital, I take time to write down the score from memory. It helps me to feel more solid, even if it's just psychology. It may help you to look at your mistakes and figure out why you keep doing it and why the composer's writing makes better sense.
Although some recommend this approach, I think it's totally impractical and for the OP's level. It also begs the question, what happens if/when you get stuck writing the piece out from memory? I don't think many pros do this. In fact, I've haven't heard a single top pianist mention this in all the books where the author interviews top pianists.

wszxbcl #3025835 09/17/20 01:05 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
When I am preparing to play something in a recital, I take time to write down the score from memory. It helps me to feel more solid, even if it's just psychology. [...]

How long does it take you to write out a Beethoven Sonata or whatever other major work you might be performing: many hours? Is it really worth all that time, time that you could be working out slow, methodical and focused practice at the piano?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
PabloLASF #3025842 09/17/20 01:35 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm not making this up....

At one of the masterclasses I observed, the master teacher told the student--who played one movement of a concerto--to hand copy the entire orchestra part. Not the piano reduction. The ENTIRE orchestra part, all the instruments and their lines. And the master teacher gave the student a postcard, so that she can notify him when the project is finished.

I was totally confused. What is the point of doing this???

PabloLASF #3025882 09/17/20 05:12 AM
E
E
Originally Posted by PabloLASF
Problem is that if I don't play the piece in a while, I might forget portions or make mistakes. It is really easy to memorize the mistake.

I work basically the same way, if I learn a piece then I automatically memorize it.
If I want to play it again after a longer period, I allways take the score and work through it from scratch. Then after two or three runs it is again in memory. This way, I have come across little mistakes that i memorized.

Last edited by ErfurtBob; 09/17/20 05:13 AM.
wszxbcl #3025884 09/17/20 05:17 AM
E
E
When I am preparing to play something in a recital, I take time to write down the score from memory.
That is very thorough and a lot of work. Alternatively, you can also sit down and play the piece in your mind, away from the piano, from memory. Very helpful, not easy, takes a lot of concentration and you can't do anything else at the same time. I have tried it while driving a car, but that doesn't work. You could do it in a waiting room at the doctor e.g.

PabloLASF #3025894 09/17/20 05:56 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I'm not making this up....

At one of the masterclasses I observed, the master teacher told the student--who played one movement of a concerto--to hand copy the entire orchestra part. Not the piano reduction. The ENTIRE orchestra part, all the instruments and their lines. And the master teacher gave the student a postcard, so that she can notify him when the project is finished.

I was totally confused. What is the point of doing this???
That is, the orchestral parts are proposed to be transcribed directly from the recording. A well-known method in the training of orchestral conductors.I did it mostly in jazz.

wszxbcl #3025904 09/17/20 06:41 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
When you play a piece from memory to what extent do you visualise the score? And the AZpiano - starting from a random note? Surely you need a context as to where that note is?

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
PabloLASF #3026039 09/17/20 03:20 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
If I understand the situation correctly you memorize and play pieces that you can't read fluently. I think it's not a good practice. It shows the weakness of your reading skills. You need to work on improving your reading. And for the memorized pieces I think it'd be best to learn to play them with score now.

Nahum #3026095 09/17/20 05:11 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nahum
That is, the orchestral parts are proposed to be transcribed directly from the recording. A well-known method in the training of orchestral conductors.I did it mostly in jazz.

And how would this activity benefit the student who is playing the concerto movement? She's not being trained to conduct an orchestra, nor is she playing jazz.

Colin Miles #3026098 09/17/20 05:13 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
And the AZpiano - starting from a random note? Surely you need a context as to where that note is?

The ability to start playing from any note in the piece comes from 100% security with the individual notes. Context is not important.

Obviously, this is done with the score. You'd have to read the note to know where to start, but you should be able to finish the piece no problem. You'd be amazed how many people can't do that.

AZNpiano #3026100 09/17/20 05:17 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
And the AZpiano - starting from a random note? Surely you need a context as to where that note is?

The ability to start playing from any note in the piece comes from 100% security with the individual notes. Context is not important.

Obviously, this is done with the score. You'd have to read the note to know where to start, but you should be able to finish the piece no problem. You'd be amazed how many people can't do that.
Sorry - I thought you were talking about from memory.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
AZNpiano #3026167 09/17/20 09:21 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Also, it makes for more efficient use of lesson time if you can start a piece from any place in the score. I quickly learned that my teacher expects this and it does indeed make me feel more secure. Starting from random places has become an automatic part of my practice time.

Best regards,

Deborah
PabloLASF #3026319 09/18/20 10:07 AM
W
W
Um... you guys, pianoloverus and BruceD, I'm just a beginner, maybe "advanced" beginner. We're only talking about one or two pages at a time. Size of one Bach Invention. As I've said I do it to help my nerves before a recital. I have terrible stage fright and knowing I can write it down is one way I try to alleviate insecurity.

It doesn't take long at all maybe 15 minutes per page. I scribble it like taking dictation from memory of the sounds, and just use a slash for solid note heads. When the same thing is repeated I don't write out again, just draw an arrow from previous measures.

I put it out there for the OP because he mentioned mistakes. It's a mistake because it is different from the score. So you'd want to investigate those measures where the discrepancy occurs, right?

wszxbcl #3026514 09/18/20 06:33 PM
Um... you guys, pianoloverus and BruceD, I'm just a beginner, maybe "advanced" beginner. We're only talking about one or two pages at a time. Size of one Bach Invention. As I've said I do it to help my nerves before a recital. I have terrible stage fright and knowing I can write it down is one way I try to alleviate insecurity.

It doesn't take long at all maybe 15 minutes per page. I scribble it like taking dictation from memory of the sounds, and just use a slash for solid note heads. When the same thing is repeated I don't write out again, just draw an arrow from previous measures.

I put it out there for the OP because he mentioned mistakes. It's a mistake because it is different from the score. So you'd want to investigate those measures where the discrepancy occurs, right?
If it helps you it's hard to argue against it for you, but I think a better question would be if it helps you or would help you more than the standard ways of memorizing like aural memory, muscle memory, harmonic analysis, and structural analysis among others. When you get to more advanced pieces I think you'll find writing the piece out to be much more complicated and lengthy. I would call your method an outlier technique.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission