2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
72 members (anotherscott, 36251, cmb13, Anna B., David B, dima5222, clothearednincompo, 16 invisible), 505 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Who are the best pianists in the world today?
#3025762 09/16/20 06:25 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Alive.

Argerich? Kissin?

In terms of awards and global recognition.

Last edited by onaiplatigid; 09/16/20 06:27 PM.

Yamaha P-515
In the market for an acoustic grand.
Re: Who are the best pianists in the world today?
onaiplatigid #3025774 09/16/20 06:57 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If you take piano as the totality of the stage experience. Then it's one of those guys from the popular list.

If we remove the stage experience part, and only look at what is Objectively possible in terms of musical capability , it's likely one of those musical-savants.

They all have severe brain damage/ rewiring which disproportionately appropriates the brain's processing power towards functions that translate into musical ability..

For example, they can't button a button, but they can dissect the notes of 10s of instruments played simultaneously.

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/16/20 06:59 PM.
onaiplatigid #3025779 09/16/20 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
Alive.

Argerich? Kissin?

Some of the most recognised, like Agerich Brendel and Barenboim, are past their best on the concert platform and have stopped performing.

Of those I have heard in concert I rate Yuja Wang and Garrick Ohlsson as top notch. But they part of a leading group.

Modesty is a form of pride.
terentius #3025781 09/16/20 07:16 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by terentius
Alive.

Argerich? Kissin?

Some of the most recognised, like Agerich Brendel and Barenboim, are past their best on the concert platform and have stopped performing.

Of those I have heard in concert I rate Yuja Wang and Garrick Ohlsson as top notch. But they part of a leading group.

Argerich still performs at a very high level.

terentius #3025791 09/16/20 07:44 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terentius
Alive.

Argerich? Kissin?

I attended two Martha Argerich concerts in 2019. Her playing was breathtaking. I was expecting to be disappointed, being a huge fan for many decades of the recordings from her youth. However, it was probably the best piano playing I've ever heard, along with Grigory Sokolov the previous year.

jeffcat #3025795 09/16/20 07:49 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by jeffcat
If we remove the stage experience part, and only look at what is Objectively possible in terms of musical capability , it's likely one of those musical-savants.
In terms of classical piano, I don't know of a single musical savant who is a top pianist.

onaiplatigid #3025799 09/16/20 08:05 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Saw Kissin in concert. Meh.

Valentina was quite incredible at the concert she gave here and my SO felt the same (and she is a piano teacher since 20 years).

But Hamelin is IMHO above everyone else.

onaiplatigid #3025810 09/16/20 09:30 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I believe Joyce Hatto meets all your requirements...

On a more (or less) serious note, in objective terms, Peter Bence holds the Guinness World Record for "most piano key hits in one minute".

He has certainly mastered this instrument and grown beyond it as a musician.

pianoloverus #3025819 09/16/20 11:04 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
In terms of classical piano, I don't know of a single musical savant who is a top pianist.

They're not top pianists by the Common definition YOU and I would use.

HOWEVER, that's a form of prejudice.

There are multiple dimensions to music. The addition OR subtraction of such dimensions does not fundamentally constitute better or worse.

The savants understand and relate to "their respective anomalous talent" typically in a form of synthesia, which is a far more intimate comprehension that no normally-emotional being can achieve (without psychedelics). Seeing/ Tasting sound, how are we <from the outside> suppose to understand that. Savant memory/recall is statistically 7 standard deviations above. How does a person who has a strong recollection of Hundreds of pages differ from someone who recalls hundreds of thousands of pages.

They are completely different and God-like.
If you build RPG characters.

Generally Great Pianist
+10 dexterity
+10 empathy
+10 memory

Savant
+8 dexterity
-10 empathy
+xx synthesia
+999 memory

The music of a savant may well exceed our own ability to truly grasp, because of the differences. The fact that they can't win a normal human piano competition or be judged like every other pianist means little.

For example, there are mathematical geniuses around who produce works which approximately only 200 people on the planet can understand. It doesn't look like great writing or much of anything to 99.999% of humans, but for anyone who could read whatever the pages state, it's monolithic.

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/16/20 11:08 PM.
navindra #3025828 09/17/20 12:07 AM
O
OP Offline
O
None of these are "best" and the last 2 aren't classical. That belongs in another room.

Originally Posted by navindra

On a more (or less) serious note, in objective terms, Peter Bence holds the Guinness World Record for "most piano key hits in one minute".

Yamaha P-515
jeffcat #3025829 09/17/20 12:10 AM
O
OP Offline
O

There are multiple dimensions to music. The addition OR subtraction of such dimensions does not fundamentally constitute better or worse.

The savants understand and relate to "their respective anomalous talent" typically in a form of synthesia, which is a far more intimate comprehension that no normally-emotional being can achieve (without psychedelics). Seeing/ Tasting sound, how are we <from the outside> suppose to understand that. Savant memory/recall is statistically 7 standard deviations above. How does a person who has a strong recollection of Hundreds of pages differ from someone who recalls hundreds of thousands of pages.

Generally Great Pianist
+10 dexterity
+10 empathy
+10 memory

Savant
+8 dexterity
-10 empathy
+xx synthesia
+999 memory

The music of a savant may well exceed our own ability to truly grasp, because of the differences. The fact that they can't win a normal human piano competition or be judged like every other pianist means little.

For example, there are mathematical geniuses around who produce works which approximately only 200 people on the planet can understand. It doesn't look like great writing or much of anything to 99.999% of humans, but for anyone who could read whatever the pages state, it's monolithic.

or one with extra finger on each hand, but like you said, not really the definition we're talking about.

Yamaha P-515
onaiplatigid #3025836 09/17/20 01:11 AM
Check out Rousseau on YouTube.

His identity is unknown but he can certainly play, and play anything!

onaiplatigid #3025839 09/17/20 01:25 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Where exactly are the "classical" constraints coming from? Just curious -- you may be right, but I haven't see any "classical" constraints advertised anywhere.

My post was largely in jest, but Peter Bence is no joke -- he's a virtuoso pianist to my knowledge with classical background, and he has certainly mastered his instrument and graduated beyond.

None of these are "best" and the last 2 aren't classical. That belongs in another room.

navindra #3025844 09/17/20 01:43 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Yeah he's awesome. I posted those videos you posted in other rooms and threads before.

Yamaha P-515
jeffcat #3025862 09/17/20 03:19 AM
Online Content

Generally Great Pianist
+10 dexterity
+10 empathy
+10 memory

Savant
+8 dexterity
-10 empathy
+xx synthesia
+999 memory

Very hard to figure out what you mean here. It's not just you and me who would not rate these pianists highly, it's all knowledgeable people.

I have no idea where you get the numerical ratings you give. Memory is not considered the a criteria for greatness of a pianist. Empathy is not clear at all and impossible to rate. Finally, synthesia is again not a criteria for being a great pianist. So even if those ratings you give comparing a great pianist to a savant are true(where do they come from?), I find them utterly irrelevant and I think close to 100% would agree with me.

navindra #3025865 09/17/20 03:36 AM
Online Content
My post was largely in jest, but Peter Bence is no joke -- he's a virtuoso pianist to my knowledge with classical background, and he has certainly mastered his instrument and graduated beyond.

Bence shows good technique for a pop musician but the music he plays is frankly elementary compared to the difficult works in the classical piano literature or the jazz pianists with the greatest technique.

The Guinness Record thing has to be rephrased because as you phrased it it's not true. One can clearly hit more keys if one plays chords in both hands. The whole demonstration is quite silly and meaningless.

jeffcat #3025887 09/17/20 05:29 AM
E
E
it's likely one of those musical-savants.

Do you have any examples? Who are those?

onaiplatigid #3025954 09/17/20 11:22 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It just depends on what you mean by best. In terms of commercial success, there are richest pianists, e.g.

10. Yuja Wang
9 Lang Lang.
8 Yanni.
7 Daniel Barenboim.
6 Bruno Mars.
5 Bob Dylan.
4 Billy Joel.
3 John Williams
2 Elton John
1 Andrew Lloyd Webber
Source: https://www.therichest.com/luxury/pianists-rich-world/

But different lists don't fully agree. Now you will of course tell me that commercial success does not necessarily mean musically best, but it's one of the few non-subjective measures that exist to evaluate your question. Anything else is just personal taste.

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
onaiplatigid #3025957 09/17/20 11:27 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Alive.

Argerich? Kissin?

How do you measure global recognition ? It is not like tennis players with a ranking based on number of won tournaments.

jeffcat #3025976 09/17/20 12:37 PM
R
R
[quote=pianoloverus][quote=jeffcat]

Generally Great Pianist
+10 dexterity
+10 empathy
+10 memory

Savant
+8 dexterity
-10 empathy
+xx synthesia
+999 memory

I don't think that's true. Think of a savant, and think of a mere genius like Einstein or his contemporaries. You need to distinguish between simply very high intelligence and the savant syndrome.

Understanding does not come from millions of pages of information. By that measure, the best music producing intelligence would be some of the recent deep learning AI algorithms, but as of yet, they don't really produce any music of note.

The real understanding comes from a dense network of associations, common threads and frameworks behind a large body of knowledge. Having seen mathematicians in action (maybe not the very best but still really good ones), what are them apart is their ability to perceive difficult-to-see yet profound analogies and associations, often drawing from disparate bodies of knowledge in an incredible way. However, they do not typically have an extraordinary memory. They are able to do a lot with very little information by applying logic and intuition.

Savants have a very large memory, but less ability to generalize and draw upon their knowledge. That is why you very rarely see savants in mathematics (I'm referring to mathematicians and not human calculators). The same imo holds with musicians. The best musicals are able to master all the common musical concepts and more, and execute it in a way that seems organic and results in listeners perceiving additional layers of depth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gospel-Jazz Chord Progression & Scale
by BB666 - 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Guitar Center Mulls Restructuring
by newer player - 10/30/20 12:44 AM
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,489
Posts3,018,746
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission