2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
41 members (anotherscott, Chouca, Burkey, 1957, David Lai, clothearednincompo, ColoRodney, 11 invisible), 399 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano Placement Advice Requested
#3025414 09/15/20 04:35 PM
S
senex Offline OP
OP Offline
S
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3025381/room-plan.html#Post3025381

Above is the URL for a JPEG of a (very crude) plan of the 11' x 12' room in which I will be placing a new Kawai K-300 upright. The image itself is in the Piano Photo Gallery under the title "Room plan." I was unable to figure out how to import the image to this message.

I am seeking advice as to the better of two positions in which to place the piano, with the stipulation that I am limited to the positions labeled "A" and "B" on the plan because the room serves other purposes as well.

Other information that might be helpful and/or of interest:
- The piano is 48" tall, 59" wide and 24" deep.
- Position "A" is against an outside wall, but I am located in southwest Florida where the temperature rarely drops below 50 degrees F and almost never below 30. In 9 years the central heating has been on for a total of 3 days.
- In position A the piano will be clearly visible when moving through the foyer into the main living area of the house, but not from the main living area itself.
- Position "B" is as it seems, an alcove. In the alcove the piano will be plainly visible from the main living area of the house and when moving toward the front door but not when entering the house.
- The ceiling height in the room (including the alcove) is 12'.
- The foyer to which the room opens is 8' wide and has a ceiling height of 16'.

This is the first acoustic piano that I will have purchased for myself. We bought a Yamaha P22 (assembled in Georgia) for our sons 30 years ago, and one of them is still playing it (as will, he hopes, his children in a year or two). When I started lessons last November I purchased an inexpensive digital keyboard that was recommended as "best for beginners." I have been following this excellent forum and looking forward to this purchase since then.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide (including advice on how to incorporate the JPEG in this message).

Re: Piano Placement Advice Requested
senex #3025430 09/15/20 05:09 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You didn't ask which location might sound better, do you care about the acoustics or just the aesthetics? If the latter, I'd put it in the alcove. If the former, I think A would probably be better but it's not that hard to move an upright so you'd be best off trying both locations. Also, do you have any heat or A/C registers near either location? Which way does that window face?

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
MarkL #3025433 09/15/20 05:28 PM
S
senex Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The acoustics are more important to me than the aesthetics, as is protecting the piano from harm. The HVAC duct is in the ceiling, not close to either location. The window faces due east, and is covered by blinds, which are closed against the sun in the morning.

senex #3025440 09/15/20 06:02 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by senex
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3025381/room-plan.html#Post3025381

Above is the URL for a JPEG of a (very crude) plan of the 11' x 12' room in which I will be placing a new Kawai K-300 upright. The image itself is in the Piano Photo Gallery under the title "Room plan." I was unable to figure out how to import the image to this message.

Here's the plan.

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha P-515

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
senex #3025441 09/15/20 06:07 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think location A will be better both acoustically and aesthetically.

Congratulations on your new instrument, by the way!! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
senex #3025445 09/15/20 06:21 PM
R
R
What other furniture is in the room? Hard to really give decorating advice from a rough sketch. Any acoustic advice should also be taken with a grain of salt since it's just based on general assumptions about the reflective properties of the walls and furnishings.

So the location A is east facing wall? I would avoid west facing walls for the temperature swings from the harsh afternoon sun. Similarly, I would think North facing wall are probably the most stable temperature wise. East and South facing walls, I would take on a case by case basis but probably wouldn't be my preferred choice. I guess it would also depend on the insulation and material as well as any tree cover or what not.

For location B, an upright in a nook could sound ok. Considering the Piano itself is about 5' wide, you only have about 3" clearance on each side. That seems really tight to me. It'll definitely mess with the acoustics but hard to say if it's necessarily worse. My main concern would be whether it's awkward to tune or clean around that location.

On a more personal note, I just wouldn't want to be sitting that close to a wall when playing. Feels kind of claustrophobic.

what about the 11' wall on the left?

senex #3025454 09/15/20 07:05 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
On a more personal note, I just wouldn't want to be sitting that close to a wall when playing. Feels kind of claustrophobic.

This point IMO is worth repeating. In addition to acoustics and aesthetics, the experience of the pianist at the piano is also important.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
senex #3025464 09/15/20 08:38 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
I think A would be best .With the piano at B , the sound may bounce off those walls too much creating echoes.
If you have it at A , have the back of the piano at least 5 or 6 inches away from the wall. An upright sounds much nicer if it
is away from the wall. Also if it is an outside wall the piano could be healthier. (Unless the wall is well insulated against temperature and humidty changes.)

senex #3025482 09/16/20 12:26 AM
S
senex Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your recommendations. I will place the piano in position A, being sure to distance it from the wall.

The 11' wall on the left in unavailable because of furnishings that will not fit along either of the other two walls due to the window and the alcove.

senex #3025494 09/16/20 02:52 AM
Uprights are easy to place, just avoid corners. B is definitely bad since it's all corners

Last edited by Allan W.; 09/16/20 02:52 AM.
senex #3025502 09/16/20 04:08 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
A does look the best location to me, but as you already have a digital keyboard I suggest you just try it in those two locations and see which you prefer.

Last edited by gwing; 09/16/20 04:08 AM.
senex #3025503 09/16/20 04:12 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for your recommendations. I will place the piano in position A, being sure to distance it from the wall.
I would consider putting the stool closest to the wall, so when you play and look up, you look into the room.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Animisha #3025577 09/16/20 10:42 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
I would consider putting the stool closest to the wall, so when you play and look up, you look into the room.

How is the OP going to be "look[ing] into the room" when seated at (i.e. behind) a 48-inch upright?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
senex #3025814 09/16/20 10:27 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Def position A, B seems claustrophobic to me too.

David

senex #3026510 09/18/20 06:25 PM
J
J
Location B is where you want it.
The sound emanating from that alcove will be tremendous.
Acoustic speaker design and performance is optimum when placed in a corner.
Look up the Klipschorn.
Its legendary performance depended on its being placed in a corner.
Your piano will sound enormous in Location B.

Proud owner of a Kawai KU-5D 52 inch professional upright.
senex #3026533 09/18/20 07:33 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
It is an upright, feel free to experiment.

They are not hard to move around.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
senex #3026571 09/18/20 11:03 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I suggest you try both, and see if a clear preference emerges. Upright pianos can also be placed perpendicularly to a wall, creating a little dedicated music area... or treated as if they were an overgrown coffee table, or bookshelf. If you like this placement but find it's too loud for the room, you might get a freestanding bookshelf to put behind the piano, and see if you can come up with a workable placement. (After all, you'll be needing a shelf for scores, study materials, recordings, musician biographies and histories of the piano.)

In truth, trial and error is going to give you your solution. I kind of like having natural light at my back, illuminating the music rack (I don't mean direct sun). It is also less distracting.

My only surprise is that you only considered the extensional views OF the piano, but there was no mention of what neighbors were going to hear (or others in your own house). These are the trials that usually get crossed off the list first, though I will say that my neighbors, when I asked them to let me know if the piano is bothering them, one and all said that it was not loud in their house, and that they liked the sound.

I lived in Sarasota, with a piano. It was not a valuable, new instrument like yours, but I remember that the atmosphere seemed pretty steady (we were back from the beach), and steadiness is what your piano will want, especially as to relative humidity. RH varies in a predictable way with changes in temperature, especially the big seasonal changes of the continental US.; and Florida has its own variety. You can look into the details on the Kawai US website, about the Millennium-3 action and why it was invented. Kawai has already gone a long way to protect you. I am not sure that having a piano in a big bell jar would be a good thing anyway.

BUT. Florida means storms, storms can mean floods, and protecting your piano may be out of your direct control, with power off, evacuations, etc. I think you've already decided about this. You just do the best you can. Some people like to have a special rider on their homeowners' policy for the piano, and there are companies which offer specific, and better, coverage for pianos.

You can post photos here; also recordings. We love this stuff. Congratulations on your new piano!

Clef

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,862
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission