2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (dng, 36251, Damien PG, AZNpiano, ando, adamjh, Back Room Studio, 12 invisible), 400 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Kawai VPC1 owners club
maul #3025436 09/15/20 05:41 PM
V
V
Just a note about the VSL libraries. If you are a teacher or student (doesn't seem to matter what the subject or level is) you can currently get 40% off any product. You just have to provide proof of being a teacher at a school. (not sure if private lesson teachers would count). I just got the Synchron Pianos Bundle in the Standard version and it is fantastic. It has all of their 5 pianos and its a great delight going back and forth depending on the music one is playing. With the discount and bundle it means each piano is a bit over $100, an amazing bargain for the quality of the sound. The standard version seem fine unless you really need complete control over numerous mics. But as far as I can tell the fundamental samples of the standard are the same as the ones in the "full library". Just a few less mics. You can of course also buy individual pianos at 40% off. Still a great bargain.

EB5AGV #3025478 09/15/20 11:27 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Originally Posted by David Lai
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
The VPC1 is only powered by USB or external supply. So, if you just connect the MIDI cables, you need the power supply

If I'm using the VPC1, the keyboard will "talk" to the computer via USB. In that case, if I want to connect another controller up to the keyboard, do I still need a power supply?

I guess it may depend on the USB port used, as the manual says some times you may need the power supply even if connected by USB. As the power supply is supplied with the unit, it seems not a big problem anyway

Very interesting. I hope my USB would have enough power to get 2 pieces of midi hardware going! smile

vidio #3025479 09/15/20 11:28 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by vidio
Just a note about the VSL libraries. If you are a teacher or student (doesn't seem to matter what the subject or level is) you can currently get 40% off any product. You just have to provide proof of being a teacher at a school. (not sure if private lesson teachers would count). I just got the Synchron Pianos Bundle in the Standard version and it is fantastic. It has all of their 5 pianos and its a great delight going back and forth depending on the music one is playing. With the discount and bundle it means each piano is a bit over $100, an amazing bargain for the quality of the sound. The standard version seem fine unless you really need complete control over numerous mics. But as far as I can tell the fundamental samples of the standard are the same as the ones in the "full library". Just a few less mics. You can of course also buy individual pianos at 40% off. Still a great bargain.

Yes. If you are a student or a teacher and show them the documentation, 40% off is a good deal for anything. And yes, the standard edition contains all the core mics. For me, it means a little condenser and a lot of the mid 1 microphone for the Steinway D274!

David Lai #3025497 09/16/20 03:27 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
On the Bösendorfer Im happy to find the standard version really includes all the best mic's. For the close mics I love the condenser and don't really care for the ribbon or the tube mic, and also I like the mid1 better than the mid2, so the standard is pretty much all I need. Maybe it could be different for the D-274, but I haven't tried that yet.

vidio #3025501 09/16/20 03:48 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
. I just got the Synchron Pianos Bundle in the Standard version and it is fantastic. It has all of their 5 pianos and its a great delight going back and forth depending on the music one is playing.

How do you feel about the Bluthner grand and the Bösendorfer upright? Are they as enjoyable as the others?

EB5AGV #3025580 09/16/20 10:52 AM
N
N
Hi there! I wanted to ask about PC-less VPC1 setups and I didn't want to fill the main page with another "help me" topic, so I figured I'd post here. Hopefully that's okay!

My basic question is this: What is the cheapest way to get a good, realistic, grand piano sound out of the VPC1 without using a laptop or iPad?

The reason is this:
I currently own a Korg D1 and am looking to upgrade to a digital piano with a more realistic action. While I love the Korg D1 for it's quality/price ratio and it's simplicity, I've tried the Grand Feel Actions and like them a lot. Honestly, I'd like a Korg D1 with a Grand Feel series action in it.

Anyways, I live in a Studio apartment and am still learning piano; I'm not a composer or gig-er. As such, hooking my piano to my PC requires me to run a bunch of cables across my apartment and jump between the piano and the PC. It is not convenient; it's a major PITA. I don't really have space to make a dedicated PC setup for a keyboard.

Originally I wanted the MP11SE, but that's sold out everywhere AND it's nearly $3000, which is expensive! Also, it's a bit overkill for my needs; I'd like a simple digital piano interface and not the professional performance setup the MP11SE has.

The VPC1 looks to be a good alternative, except I'd need a way to get sound out. Using a VST on a computer is impractical. I could used a tablet...except I don't own a tablet device and would have no use for a tablet device. My phone is also an android. So I can't really use any mobile VST apps either. VST's and tablets are also expensive, which would defeat the point of grabbing a VPC1.
I could try an just use my Korg D1 as an audio output -- I actually like the sound quality out of it. But, I don't really have the space for two full sized keyboards. (And I'd have to spend a ton of money on a new stand which kind of defeats the purpose of going for the VPC1.) I'd rather sell my Korg D1 if I replace it.

The most obvious thing to do would be to get a MIDI sound module. Except, barely anyone makes them anymore. Most of the modern ones are $1,000+! The best I could find was the V3 Grand Piano module, but between shipping from Thomann and buying a MIDI controller to actually be able to use it, it's still an extra $500 just to get sound out. (About the price I paid for my Korg!)

At that point, I might as well spend the few hundred extra bucks for the MP11SE...except that's sold out everywhere.

My thought is: There has to be some kind of small synth with good piano sounds I could put on top of the VPC1 that's not too expensive. Or -- so I'd hope. As long as it's at least as good as the Korg D1's sounds, I'd be happy. Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks!

Narroo #3025617 09/16/20 12:24 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Narroo
Hi there! I wanted to ask about PC-less VPC1 setups and I didn't want to fill the main page with another "help me" topic, so I figured I'd post here. Hopefully that's okay!

My basic question is this: What is the cheapest way to get a good, realistic, grand piano sound out of the VPC1 without using a laptop or iPad?

The reason is this:
I currently own a Korg D1 and am looking to upgrade to a digital piano with a more realistic action. While I love the Korg D1 for it's quality/price ratio and it's simplicity, I've tried the Grand Feel Actions and like them a lot. Honestly, I'd like a Korg D1 with a Grand Feel series action in it.

Anyways, I live in a Studio apartment and am still learning piano; I'm not a composer or gig-er. As such, hooking my piano to my PC requires me to run a bunch of cables across my apartment and jump between the piano and the PC. It is not convenient; it's a major PITA. I don't really have space to make a dedicated PC setup for a keyboard.

Originally I wanted the MP11SE, but that's sold out everywhere AND it's nearly $3000, which is expensive! Also, it's a bit overkill for my needs; I'd like a simple digital piano interface and not the professional performance setup the MP11SE has.

The VPC1 looks to be a good alternative, except I'd need a way to get sound out. Using a VST on a computer is impractical. I could used a tablet...except I don't own a tablet device and would have no use for a tablet device. My phone is also an android. So I can't really use any mobile VST apps either. VST's and tablets are also expensive, which would defeat the point of grabbing a VPC1.
I could try an just use my Korg D1 as an audio output -- I actually like the sound quality out of it. But, I don't really have the space for two full sized keyboards. (And I'd have to spend a ton of money on a new stand which kind of defeats the purpose of going for the VPC1.) I'd rather sell my Korg D1 if I replace it.

The most obvious thing to do would be to get a MIDI sound module. Except, barely anyone makes them anymore. Most of the modern ones are $1,000+! The best I could find was the V3 Grand Piano module, but between shipping from Thomann and buying a MIDI controller to actually be able to use it, it's still an extra $500 just to get sound out. (About the price I paid for my Korg!)

At that point, I might as well spend the few hundred extra bucks for the MP11SE...except that's sold out everywhere.

My thought is: There has to be some kind of small synth with good piano sounds I could put on top of the VPC1 that's not too expensive. Or -- so I'd hope. As long as it's at least as good as the Korg D1's sounds, I'd be happy. Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks!
You may want to reconsider the tablet. You can purchase a used ipad PRO for around $350 and a $35 app by Ravenscroft for $35. You will also need to purchase Apple's Lightning to USB3 camera adapter and the ipad will have to be plugged in to be able to connect via the USB(MIDI) cable out from the VPC-1 to the ipad. (If the Ipad is running on battery only it will not allow you to use the VPC-1 because it correctly identifies that it does not have enough power to power the VPC-1 alone- it needs to be plugged in)

I have the Ravenscroft app but never used it with my VPC1 because I immediately bought the desktop version. I use the above set-up however for my zoom lessons and for real time video recording through a Zoom H1n mic. The mic is hooked up to the ipad just as I would hook up the VPC-1 through the USB3 adapter and powered by the powerbrick. Theoretically this set-up should work with the Ravenscroft app. I could try it out for you if you are interested.

A ipad pro tablet has so many uses during this COVID era for zoom teleconferencing, online lessons, live high quality recording. You would be surprised. Either way I think this is the most cost effective way to do what you are trying to do and you get a nice tablet to boot for storing sheet music (you can get rid of sheet music and just use a pedal page turner with the ipad pro resting on your music stand for example).

Either way if you are using the Ravenscroft you should purchase an Ipad PRO as the regular ipads processors may not be able to handle the demand. Again Mac of All trades has used 1st or 2nd generation ipads starting at $350.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Jethro #3025625 09/16/20 12:38 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jethro
You may want to reconsider the tablet. You can purchase a used ipad PRO for around $350

Is this true? I've toyed with the idea of just getting a used large (12") older-gen iPad pro and pencil solely to use as a sheet music tablet. IMO it's got the best size, aspect ratio and annotation capability for display, but I've balked at spending close to $1k just for sheet music smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #3025630 09/16/20 12:52 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Gombessa
You may want to reconsider the tablet. You can purchase a used ipad PRO for around $350

Is this true? I've toyed with the idea of just getting a used large (12") older-gen iPad pro and pencil solely to use as a sheet music tablet. IMO it's got the best size, aspect ratio and annotation capability for display, but I've balked at spending close to $1k just for sheet music smile
I believe so. Check their website. Unless I'm mistaken they sell used ones at Mac of All Trades for around that price. (First generation)

Edit I checked. They are apple pros but 9.7 inch. Good for Ravenscroft app and some may find its enough for video conferencing.

Last edited by Jethro; 09/16/20 12:57 PM.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Jethro #3025637 09/16/20 01:18 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I believe so. Check their website. Unless I'm mistaken they sell used ones at Mac of All Trades for around that price. (First generation)

Edit I checked. They are apple pros but 9.7 inch. Good for Ravenscroft app and some may find its enough for video conferencing.

Apple's website seems completely broken. I can't find any refurbished iPads outside of their featured listing, and that's an $800 10.5" pro. Oh well, the search continues.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Jethro #3025642 09/16/20 01:26 PM
N
N

The reason is this:

Thanks!
You may want to reconsider the tablet. You can purchase a used ipad PRO for around $350 and a $35 app by Ravenscroft for $35. You will also need to purchase Apple's Lightning to USB3 camera adapter and the ipad will have to be plugged in to be able to connect via the USB(MIDI) cable out from the VPC-1 to the ipad. (If the Ipad is running on battery only it will not allow you to use the VPC-1 because it correctly identifies that it does not have enough power to power the VPC-1 alone- it needs to be plugged in)

I have the Ravenscroft app but never used it with my VPC1 because I immediately bought the desktop version. I use the above set-up however for my zoom lessons and for real time video recording through a Zoom H1n mic. The mic is hooked up to the ipad just as I would hook up the VPC-1 through the USB3 adapter and powered by the powerbrick. Theoretically this set-up should work with the Ravenscroft app. I could try it out for you if you are interested.

A ipad pro tablet has so many uses during this COVID era for zoom teleconferencing, online lessons, live high quality recording. You would be surprised. Either way I think this is the most cost effective way to do what you are trying to do and you get a nice tablet to boot for storing sheet music (you can get rid of sheet music and just use a pedal page turner with the ipad pro resting on your music stand for example).

Either way if you are using the Ravenscroft you should purchase an Ipad PRO as the regular ipads processors may not be able to handle the demand. Again Mac of All trades has used 1st or 2nd generation ipads starting at $350.

I have to disagree on some of those points. I already have systems in place for all those possible uses for an iOS device; an iPad would just be another device to keep track of. And of course, another software account to keep track of, and worrying about software updates and obsolesce with the iStore, and so on. And...it's not good for sheet music because I hate reading off LCD's; I do prefer paper. So, a piece of plug-and-play hardware would be best. The issue is...they don't really make that sort of stuff anymore unless it's a full-fledged keyboard workstation!

Narroo #3025681 09/16/20 02:45 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J

The reason is this:

Thanks!

I have to disagree on some of those points. I already have systems in place for all those possible uses for an iOS device; an iPad would just be another device to keep track of. And of course, another software account to keep track of, and worrying about software updates and obsolesce with the iStore, and so on. And...it's not good for sheet music because I hate reading off LCD's; I do prefer paper. So, a piece of plug-and-play hardware would be best. The issue is...they don't really make that sort of stuff anymore unless it's a full-fledged keyboard workstation!
I just described a piece of plug and play hardware. Yes I used to own many midi sound modules, sequencers, drum machines, bass machines back in the day (80's/90's) but if everything boils down now to software it makes those sound modules obsolete. I'd also rather have virtual instruments that one can upgrade via software versus ROM upgrades like we used to do in the old days.

What you are looking for no longer exists at least in a compact inexpensive form. These niche professional products as you can see are very expensive. Everything is computer or tablet based now and can be had for a relative pittance. It used to cost one and arm and a leg to buy the state of the art hardware for making music.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
OzarkCDN #3025710 09/16/20 04:08 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by OzarkCDN
Just to jump back in a for a bump in case it gets lost... I know the midi output goes to your interface, but what is the midi input on the vpc1 for?

The midi input doesn't control anything on the VPC1. It can be used as a midi input to combine midi output from another device to the midi output of the VPC1. That would be handy if you only had a single midi input on your computer.

The midi routing can be adjusted with the VPC1 editor program. You can simultaneously use VPC1 midi output and USB output.

So, in effect, the midi input functions as a combiner.

Jack
joflah #3025727 09/16/20 05:00 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by joflah
Originally Posted by OzarkCDN
Just to jump back in a for a bump in case it gets lost... I know the midi output goes to your interface, but what is the midi input on the vpc1 for?

The midi input doesn't control anything on the VPC1. It can be used as a midi input to combine midi output from another device to the midi output of the VPC1. That would be handy if you only had a single midi input on your computer.

The midi routing can be adjusted with the VPC1 editor program. You can simultaneously use VPC1 midi output and USB output.

So, in effect, the midi input functions as a combiner.

Interesting. So technically I can just use the USB connection and, maybe add a device that sends extra midi messages like CC1 and use the VPC1 to control other instruments without using the power supply?

EB5AGV #3025744 09/16/20 05:42 PM
H
H
What is everyone's experience with their VPC-1s in terms of build quality?

There isn't a noticeable difference in terms of key weighting for me, but that is purely off my own feel, not using weights or anything.

On mine, there is a bit of uneven gap on the front of the piano. On mine, the gap between the front panel (at the bottom of the keys closest to the player) and the end pieces of the VPC1 (left and right ends) have uneven gaps. The left side is a wider gap than the right.
It's a small thing that I am nitpicking, but still feels a little disappointing as this is not exactly a low cost instrument.

I tried reaching out to Kawai to get their input on this, and whether there is a fix, but was met with radio silence.

EB5AGV #3025834 09/17/20 12:53 AM
N
N
Apparently, there might be a "reasonably cheap" option available. Apparently, it's possible to get surprisingly good soundcards for the Raspberry pi now, and there's a Raspberry OS that operates in a "headless" mode in order to be used as a box. The Raspberry Pi by itself has basics audio output and is like $35, so it can be tested for functionality before committing to a full soundcard (if necessary!)

With that in mind, the real issue just becomes VST's on the thing. Pianoteq is available, but...that's expensive -- which is the problem with VSTs...

But for $35 I can at least try free-ware VST's on my current piano and see how well that works.

Gombessa #3025838 09/17/20 01:13 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by U3piano
. I just got the Synchron Pianos Bundle in the Standard version and it is fantastic. It has all of their 5 pianos and its a great delight going back and forth depending on the music one is playing.

How do you feel about the Bluthner grand and the Bösendorfer upright? Are they as enjoyable as the others?

I'm not sure I would have bought them on their own but as part of the pack they are quite enjoyable. Both have distinctive sounds that are not for every style of music. The Bluthner has a definite period turn of the century sound. But also goes quite nicely on Beatles music and similar pop. The upright is a very clean powerful upright, almost like a grand but with an upright character. Again, I would mostly use this for older music that you want to evoke a period feeling or a nice jazz standard sound. They are both nice alternatives to the other three more classic sounds.

Hana #3025890 09/17/20 05:42 AM
O
O
Originally Posted by Hana
What is everyone's experience with their VPC-1s in terms of build quality?

There isn't a noticeable difference in terms of key weighting for me, but that is purely off my own feel, not using weights or anything.

On mine, there is a bit of uneven gap on the front of the piano. On mine, the gap between the front panel (at the bottom of the keys closest to the player) and the end pieces of the VPC1 (left and right ends) have uneven gaps. The left side is a wider gap than the right.
It's a small thing that I am nitpicking, but still feels a little disappointing as this is not exactly a low cost instrument.

I tried reaching out to Kawai to get their input on this, and whether there is a fix, but was met with radio silence.

Did not notice this on my VPC1.
You could contact Kawai James (well known on this forum). When I had a failing CPU-baord on my former Kawai MP7SE he assisted me in contacting Kawai Europe to get my MP7SE repaired quickly for which I was very thankfull.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

You only live once and that's forever.

_________
Kawai VPC1
Hana #3025896 09/17/20 06:04 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Hana,

May I ask you to send me a PM explaining where you're based, which Kawai subsidiary you attempted to contact (and how), and when, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #3025973 09/17/20 12:27 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Hana,

May I ask you to send me a PM explaining where you're based, which Kawai subsidiary you attempted to contact (and how), and when, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

I will do that. Thanks James.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Favorite mass?
by chopinetto - 09/23/20 06:51 PM
Dilemma-help
by Cutec - 09/23/20 05:35 PM
Vose & Sons Serial Number(s)
by piperbill - 09/23/20 05:03 PM
Buying first piano - Kawai 506n
by hmm2135 - 09/23/20 03:45 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,783
Posts3,006,164
Members98,650
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission