2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, accordeur, aphexdisklavier, chopinetto, anotherscott, andredatele, Adem, 16 invisible), 570 guests, and 474 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 218 of 240 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 239 240
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On
JoBert #3025345 09/15/20 12:09 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
Wow, these pictures are great. I’d never seen the NV-10 nekid.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Pete14 #3025347 09/15/20 12:16 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Pete14: You had better show some ID to prove your age before looking at those photos! smile
Originally Posted by Pete14

JoBert #3025349 09/15/20 12:18 PM
Those pics give new meaning to the phrase "some assembly required". smile

I don't think I'd want to assemble it. I'll take it fully assembled.

JoBert #3025389 09/15/20 02:23 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Great pics. So the back remains a bit, err, unfinished, or is there something more?

spanishbuddha #3025402 09/15/20 03:01 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Great pics. So the back remains a bit, err, unfinished, or is there something more?

Thanks. The back is not unfinished. It is kind of a black melamine finish or something similar. Not nearly as good as the polished black, but at the same time not so ugly that it has to remain hidden/covered.

I saw someone covering it with polished black plastic sheets, and it looked nice. Mine is put against the wall, so I am not worried.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
MacMacMac #3025403 09/15/20 03:02 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@Pete14: You had better show some ID to prove your age before looking at those photos! smile
Originally Posted by Pete14
blush

MacMacMac #3025405 09/15/20 03:05 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Those pics give new meaning to the phrase "some assembly required". smile

I don't think I'd want to assemble it. I'll take it fully assembled.

The assembly was so easy, except for the part of putting the main unit on top of the stand. I had my neighbor helping me with this, and it was so heavy. If you can plan to have 4 persons carrying it, instead of two, the whole process should be a piece of cake.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
JoBert #3025412 09/15/20 03:31 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Very nice, thanks for the pics, Seif! I believe in all the thousands of posts on this thread, yours may be the most comprehensive unboxing/setup pics we have wink

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Seif Maher #3025422 09/15/20 03:51 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Seif Maher
The assembly was so easy, except for the part of putting the main unit on top of the stand. I had my neighbor helping me with this, and it was so heavy. If you can plan to have 4 persons carrying it, instead of two, the whole process should be a piece of cake.

Yes, it's heavy. Being the weak and lazy person that I am, I had my NV10 assembled by the piano movers that brought it to me. When putting the main unit on top of the stand, mover 1 didn't realize that mover 2 still had his fingers on the main unit... I've never heard a tough man yell so loudly. (Have I said already that the piano's heavy? Because, you know: it is.)

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha P-515

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
spanishbuddha #3025425 09/15/20 04:02 PM
M
M
Vert nice insights into the setup Seif, thanks! Your case is specific of course, but I agree with Mac: seeing this I prefer to ask the dealer to deliver and assemble it, I fear too much to break something and be liable for damages if I do it myself.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Definitely, I find it quite ugly for a 9000$ piano. That's where I understand why one might be interested in an N3X, when the keyboard is not directly against a wall. I'm keen to see if Kawai comes up with a grand cabinet alternative - but please not as ugly as a DG30.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Beethoven's Sonata No. 17 (Der Sturm) Mv. III.
Marchelune #3025442 09/15/20 05:11 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Marchelune
Definitely, I find it quite ugly for a 9000$ piano. That's where I understand why one might be interested in an N3X, when the keyboard is not directly against a wall. I'm keen to see if Kawai comes up with a grand cabinet alternative - but please not as ugly as a DG30.

I agree it would have been nice to have a slightly more presentable back (if not an ungainly baby grand shape, maybe a gently curved back with the same polished ebony finish). But I imagine Kawai research found that most people would have the NV-10 pushed back along a wall like an upright (which is also more or less "unfinished" due to the soundboard) or corner of a room and it wasn't worth the additional cost/expense to not only finish the back, but engineer a different way to elegantly place screws/hinges/access points given a finished back.

As for myself, as long as it has the action, the back could be totally open with no panel and wires sticking out for all I care! But that's probably at the opposite end of the spectrum wink

JoBert #3025447 09/15/20 05:32 PM
S
S
Thank you guys...

I also would have preferred an N3X form factor, but not now, as I just bought the NV10 smile

However, I think for someone who has the space for a baby grand foot print, a GL10 with ATX or maybe if they release one with Aures would make more sense than a digital only hybrid. Unless the digital was less expensive.

Kawai NV10
Casio AP-470
Pianoteq
dhts #3025510 09/16/20 04:10 AM
S
S
The two things: a hybrid of a real acoustic action and an electronically generated sound engine

Seif Maher #3025947 09/17/20 09:38 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Gombessa
As for myself, as long as it has the action, the back could be totally open with no panel and wires sticking out for all I care! But that's probably at the opposite end of the spectrum wink

Well that's the extreme level 😅, to some extend I agree, but still to me who have never spend that kind of money on anything before, this unfinished aspect leaves me waiting for an nv20.

Originally Posted by Seif Maher
I also would have preferred an N3X form factor, but not now, as I just bought the NV10 smile

However, I think for someone who has the space for a baby grand foot print, a GL10 with ATX or maybe if they release one with Aures would make more sense than a digital only hybrid. Unless the digital was less expensive.

Of course, be happy enjoy that splendid action 😍. I would be curious to see if Kawai develops their Aures line into grand piano as well, like Yamaha's TransAcoustic. It's funny how the Aures and Novus lines are sort of sitting at the 2 ends of the same bridge.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Beethoven's Sonata No. 17 (Der Sturm) Mv. III.
JoBert #3026022 09/17/20 01:42 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
I just updated to 1.02m, having skipped the last update (was it 1.02k?). I'm always happy to see new firmware updates, even if they're relatively minor fixes.

I did want to note a bit sadly that the new firmware doesn't seem to have addressed a problem I had raised earlier (wow, it's been nearly a year ago) here and here about an odd "key-off" click that can be heard in some SK-EX rendering characters (it's part of the key release/decay sample and is present when recorded to USB, but does NOT trigger when a note is played by the NV-10 over MIDI). It's quite faint, but when playing quietly it can be a "can't unhear it once you know it's there" situation.

I've been playing using the other rendering characters more, and I really like some of them (particularly the Rich character) but can't really use them because I keep hearing the click on key-release.

I'm just mentioning it here because I was told it would be addressed in an upcoming firmware update, but bummed that it doesn't seem to be fully solved a year and two updates later. I'm just glad it doesn't affect the default Classic character!

JoBert #3026042 09/17/20 02:26 PM
A
A
This might have been addressed somewhere in the previous 146 pages of this thread, and apologies if this question doesn't really fit here but I've been spending some time looking for good quality acoustic piano (new or used) and tbh i've been so exasperated at times I've thought about ditching the entire thing and simply buying a Novus NV10. One thing that I'm interested about is what people think the life expectancy of this hybrid is. Not in terms of it's built components as such but rather in terms of the thing in comparison to the 'real' piano(s) it sounds like? I mean, in 5-10 years will the NV10 hold any residual value or will it have been superseded to such an extent as to be nearly worthless, or is it so close to the 'real' thing that it holds some value because for all intents and purposes the possible improvements in coming years will be by definition be so minor as to be virtually inconsequential?

ambrack #3026057 09/17/20 02:54 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ambrack
This might have been addressed somewhere in the previous 146 pages of this thread, and apologies if this question doesn't really fit here but I've been spending some time looking for good quality acoustic piano (new or used) and tbh i've been so exasperated at times I've thought about ditching the entire thing and simply buying a Novus NV10. One thing that I'm interested about is what people think the life expectancy of this hybrid is. Not in terms of it's built components as such but rather in terms of the thing in comparison to the 'real' piano(s) it sounds like? I mean, in 5-10 years will the NV10 hold any residual value or will it have been superseded to such an extent as to be nearly worthless, or is it so close to the 'real' thing that it holds some value because for all intents and purposes the possible improvements in coming years will be by definition be so minor as to be virtually inconsequential?

I think it's been brought up either here or in the N1X thread smile But it's a good question nonetheless. Since the Novus line is so new, it's impossible to say how the future will unfold, but we at least have the history of the AvantGrand line-up to refer to. My own layman observation suggests that hybrids are updated much less frequently, and hold their value much better, than traditional digital pianos. They tend to ship with the highest end sound engines available, and while those do get outdated in the relentless pace of technology, they're typically good enough even 10-years out that the're not a joke. People buy hybrids for the action, and those who really place an emphasis on the best sound quality always have the VST route to consider.

One thing I don't believe is that sound engine improvements in the coming years will be inconsequential. I think we're just scratching the surface of physical modeling, whether for the entire tone (Pianoteq, Roland) or advanced resonances (VRM, SK-EX Rendering) and I fully expect this trend to continue. In the end, a hybrid's sound engine is still a computer, and computing hardware and software continue to advance year over year.

Seif Maher #3026077 09/17/20 03:29 PM
K
K
I've read some comments from people suggesting small baby grands like the GL10 sound better than the NV10. That hasn't been my experience after visiting piano stores and playing baby grands from different manufacturers. I couldn't find anything in the baby grand size that was as satisfying to play as the NV10. With regard to the GL line, I don't think I would be happy with anything below the GL40.

Gombessa #3026099 09/17/20 04:13 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by ambrack

I think it's been brought up either here or in the N1X thread smile But it's a good question nonetheless. Since the Novus line is so new, it's impossible to say how the future will unfold, but we at least have the history of the AvantGrand line-up to refer to. My own layman observation suggests that hybrids are updated much less frequently, and hold their value much better, than traditional digital pianos. They tend to ship with the highest end sound engines available, and while those do get outdated in the relentless pace of technology, they're typically good enough even 10-years out that the're not a joke. People buy hybrids for the action, and those who really place an emphasis on the best sound quality always have the VST route to consider.

One thing I don't believe is that sound engine improvements in the coming years will be inconsequential. I think we're just scratching the surface of physical modeling, whether for the entire tone (Pianoteq, Roland) or advanced resonances (VRM, SK-EX Rendering) and I fully expect this trend to continue. In the end, a hybrid's sound engine is still a computer, and computing hardware and software continue to advance year over year.

Interesting and certainly plausible, but to play Devil's advocate for a sec, if sound engines improve as you suggest, doesn't that imply the the current one in the NV10 isn't really that close to the real thing?

JoBert #3026206 09/17/20 11:55 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
The NV-10 sound engine is quite good by most standards, so the question is really, are any current sound engines close to the real thing yet?

Depends on who you ask, but I think we still have a long way to go. Individual notes and simple chords sound pretty realistic, and it's hard to tell a DP from a recorded acoustic.

But multi-GB VSTs are still generally considered better, and no DP really comes close to the sound of an acoustic piano in person. I bet in 10 years we'll still be seeing significant improvements.

Page 218 of 240 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 239 240

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pleyel but what age?
by manykeys - 12/01/20 02:52 PM
physical pleasure of playing
by rogerzell - 12/01/20 01:52 PM
December Piano Bar
by Jason Lenthe - 12/01/20 12:28 PM
What did you play today?
by Johan B - 12/01/20 11:29 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,188
Posts3,029,329
Members99,442
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission