2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
56 members (Cleverson, BozzyBear, Beowulf, anotherscott, Badger1966, Beemer, clothearednincompo, 1957, 13 invisible), 403 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Craigslist - Too Good to be True ? . ? . ? .
UnrightTooner #3024957 09/14/20 12:10 PM
K
K
I have come across the exact same scheme before word by word! They had an yamaha G1 on the line at that time. Maybe suggest they bring it to a public place like a Walmart parking lot😁

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
UnrightTooner #3024969 09/14/20 12:39 PM
R
R
Well- since the scammers they don't actually have the piano, I am confident that they won't agree to meet at the local parking lot. However, I bet you that I could get them to produce a "photo" of it on the truck which would be funny.

I will send them a text message at 1:00 EST. So, if anyone else has some creative ideas before then, feel free to contribute.

UnrightTooner #3024992 09/14/20 01:25 PM
R
R
Via Text message at 1:15 PM

Me: Do you really think that they would reroute the Truck?
Scammer: they can, or they can have it delivered to you after dropping off my stuffs, you can mail them to confirm if they can have it delivered to you and home much it might cost, protonmovingcompany@deliverman.com And do let them know its from Micheal Petterson. I will also be mailing them now so they are aware.

reMARKable #3025002 09/14/20 01:45 PM
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
This is fun. Keep it going if you can.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
UnrightTooner #3025004 09/14/20 01:46 PM
R
R
I find this piano scam fascinating. The complexity of the scam itself is a form of artwork.

First he sets the tone that the piano was a favorite of his recently deceased wife and second, he pulls on the heartstrings of those who feel compassion for him that the sight of the piano will cause him more pain as he remembers her. Third, he introduces the idea of significant change - the move from his home in Georgia to Miami. Fourth, he introduces the transfer to another party (the truck driver). Fifth, he transitions to the role of supporting change agent willing and anxious to facilitate the introduction to the Moving Company.

Of course the email will take me directly to him where he will play the role of the mover.

Open to suggestions for the next communication. I am thinking to ask him to share some insights about the piano itself. We'll see if he knows anything about pianos in general. Likely, he will say that he knows nothing about the piano. Which is brilliant, since he can hide behind the facade that he knows nothing about it except that his wife loved to play. (However, I would give him some props if he were to respond that it was a 1867-1882 Chickering 33B or a simular year Chickering 19). I will send out a text around 2:50 EST.

Again - if someone would like to run the scam in parallel, feel free. Might be interesting to see how consistent they are.

UnrightTooner #3025036 09/14/20 02:37 PM
Do things that take up his time.

-Ask him to send you a copy of the mover's agreement.
-Ask for more photos. Have him look through his cell phone\computer etc.
-Ask about the provenance of the piano. Where he got it, who is the technician, etc. Ask for names and numbers.
-Tell him there should be a stamp\serial number\whatever located in x spot of the piano. Have him get the movers to pull over and send you a photo of it.

Once he is tired of it, start it again, posing as a different prospect.

UnrightTooner #3025042 09/14/20 02:50 PM
K
K
How about having them “bring in” more people to the mix and see how well they can juggle all the roles? Piano technician? Pianist? I agree that it’s almost comical that they are trying to concoct the whole scam especially with their rather limited English skills. I just hope no innocent people get sucked into this.

UnrightTooner #3025046 09/14/20 02:57 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Scam alert for Proton Moving
https://www.scampulse.com/proton-moving-company-reviews

If you read the previous reports it is amazingly like the scam they’re doing now

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
UnrightTooner #3025085 09/14/20 04:20 PM
D
D
I guess it depends on what your goal is. Just have fun scamming or teasing the scammers? Killing your time (or theirs)? Trying to catch them an report to the authorities?

Somewhat elaborate trick, but pretty easy to spot. Pay nothing or very little for something, but no, you can't see the something and have to pay upfront for "nothing". I wonder if anybody would ever fall for this.

When I was shopping for an grand, I stumbled into exactly the same scam, but obviously I started ROTFL when they explained me what I needed to do. I think I reported to craigslist.

UnrightTooner #3025130 09/14/20 07:10 PM
R
R
@Dogperson - Thanks for sending the link. Facinating find. Seems to be the very same pattern.

@Del Vento - The aim is to better understand this specific scam process and raise awareness of the signs. Since it seems to be profitable enough that they keep it going to some degree. I am fascinated by the tactics of the scammers although saddened that some would be prey.

Also would be interesting if they go dead cold due to awareness being drawn concurrently here in the forum. Not that correlation is causaution, but would be interesting to note.

UnrightTooner #3025177 09/14/20 10:00 PM
R
R
PER THE SCAMMER'S REQUEST I SENT THE FOLLOWING EMAIL AT 4:34 est TO "PROTON MOVING COMPANY"

Hello,

Micheal Petterson recommended that I enquire to see if a Piano that is in the process of being moved can be re-routed to a different address.

Please let me know what the process would be.

Regards

SCAMMER REPLY VIA EMAIL AT 6:41 EST---

Hello,

We received your email regarding the Baby Grand Piano of Mr Micheal Petterson and also a referral note regarding that. In order to get the Piano delivered to you, we need you to get back to us with the Full Delivery Address you want this delivered to, your full name, phone number, and an alternative email address(optional). More so the delivery charges will be included and calculated after we receive your provided address needed for delivery.

Please, Get back to us with the specified information to process your delivery and we will send the estimated cost of delivery to you. Thank you

George Bloom
Proton Director of Delivery

UnrightTooner #3025190 09/14/20 10:35 PM
W
W
It could well be a “free” piano gets delivered after paying the fees, but likely not the one in the photos.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
UnrightTooner #3025192 09/14/20 10:46 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
ReMARK
Keep it going 😊. The way I look at scammers,, the longer they can be distracted by one single person, the less time they have to scam someone else.

You know those scammers who call saying they work for Social Security and your benefits are at risk? I was receiving a lot of these calls, so I would hang up and report to FTC. Totally ineffective so I changed the way I was handling them.

Now when I get those calls, I click on ‘1’, so I get a live person. I tried telling them I know it’s a scam and I was going to report them. Did that for awhile, until one of them told me ‘ooooh, I’m so afraid’.

Now I choose the option to speak to a person. and then put my cellphone next to the TV and walk away, seems to work, And there is a great deal of satisfaction in knowing They’re not calling someone else.
If the calls start again I’m gonna up my game and really mess with them for a long time but telling them I need to look for my SS number or credit card and then putting the phone down and leaving

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
UnrightTooner #3025206 09/15/20 12:22 AM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I used to do that with some of the business scammers that would phone me occasionally. They would ask to talk to the maintenance department or the accounts payable department or whatever, so I would say, "I'll just put you through to Helen. She's in the warehouse but we'll find her for you." Then put the phone on mute and leave it there. I figure telling them that she's in the warehouse would make them hang on even longer waiting for her to pick up the phone. smile

Some time after I started doing that, I even got a few phone calls after that where they actually asked to speak to Helen!

None of those guys ever asked me for her last name, though. I figure her last name has to be Waite. So when these guys want to talk to someone here, they can just go to Helen Waite. laugh

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
dogperson #3025226 09/15/20 03:25 AM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by dogperson
ReMARK
Keep it going 😊. The way I look at scammers,, the longer they can be distracted by one single person, the less time they have to scam someone else.

Oh, yes! I like doing that as well: keeping scammers busy.

Ever heard of James Veitch? That guy takes this project to a whole new level! :-)

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha P-515

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
UnrightTooner #3025239 09/15/20 05:28 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yesterday I had three Washing Machine Repair Warranty calls. I've never had an add-on warranty and don't want one. The middle one was interesting - he had a Russian or Polish accent and out of interest I asked which it was and he said his Dad was Russian, so I said "privet", Russian for hello (pronounced preevyet) and then there was a long pause and then he came back, and I said it again, and he hung up! I don't know why that should have scared him or put him off!

The best scam-baiter on YouTube is Jim Browning. He is an expert hacker and in a three-part YouTube video, he switches on the call centre scammer's webcam and records inside the scam call centre in India, also tracking down its location. As a result, the BBC's "Panorama" investigative programme made a documentary about it. Jim Browning works with Karl Rock, who lives in India.

Lately, I have been getting a LOT of "This is Amazon, your Prime will be renewed" message calls. I press 1 to connect to them. One guy made a mistake and went straight into the other, tech-support scam "we are receiving a lot of error messages from your computer" by mistake! So when I said "Oh, so you're NOT from Amazon?" he hung up. Another guy told me I was "a pile of poop" and that I should attempt an impossible sexual act. Sometimes I ask them, Is there no opportunity open to them by which they could earn a decent, honest living?

I have to say that I think telecoms companies, banks, and large corporations, could do a LOT more to shut this stuff down.

I do not have the means to go to India and confront scam call centres. Jeff Bezos does; he is the world's richest man. If I heard that someone was using my name to try to scam people about pianos, I'd be pretty cut up about it and would do my utmost to have it stopped. Scam call centres make thousands of calls a day using Amazon's name, but nothing seems to happen.

UnrightTooner #3025240 09/15/20 05:38 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
The first part of this fascinating investigation is here: https://youtu.be/le71yVPh4uk

t's not the webcam that Jim Browning hacks into - it's the CCTV in the building!

UnrightTooner #3025265 09/15/20 08:04 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Since typing the above a couple of hours ago, I have had two Washing Machine Warranty calls (reasonably legit) and another fake Amazon Prime message.

I connected to the "Amazon Prime" scammer lady, as I sometimes do, saying that I wanted to discontinue Prime. They always explain that you can't do this on the Amazon homepage, and direct you to a fake website, in this case https://amazonprime54.wixsite.com/website (as if Amazon had a Wix website!) where they want you to download Teamviewer. At that point I always stop them, and I asked this lady why she couldn't try for an honest job. She said I had no right to preach at her, and hung up.

If you download and open Teamviewer, there are various ways they can try to get money out of you, all well elucidated by YouTube scam baiters.

UnrightTooner #3025398 09/15/20 03:57 PM
R
R
Text message from me to "Micheal" the scammer playing the role of the "Grieved" owner
Hello Micheal. I sent an email to the moving company and they responded back
Not wanting to be rude, but can you tell me more about the piano?

Message from the Scammer
Good morning, sorry for the late response, I was busy for most of yesterday, I have more pictures of the piano if you would like to see. The Piano is a 1966 grand piano the model is number 1113 while the serial numbers is 29200. Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you.

Text message from me to "Micheal" the scammer playing the role of the "Grieved" owner
Hello Micheal. I would be interested in photos beyond the ones you shared on Craig's List. That would help me know the piano brand and model.

UnrightTooner #3025409 09/15/20 04:22 PM
R
R
For those following, here is the Craig's lists post with the two pictures that were submitted originally.
Screen Shot 1
Screen Shot 2

Was able to do a reverse image search and found the location where the scammer is pulling his content
Scammer Reference Content

Undoubtedly, he will send the other ones. Stay Tuned smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Kawai es920 - record onto Android Smartphone
by big-vern - 10/21/20 04:51 AM
MP11SE in stock at bhphoto.com
by mivaldes - 10/20/20 10:35 PM
most common non ET temperaments in 2020?
by MartF - 10/20/20 08:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,334
Posts3,015,668
Members98,964
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission