2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (Auraltuner, Beowulf, 1957, Burkey, Carey, Bett, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 427 guests, and 379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Kawai VPC1 owners club
EB5AGV #3025113 09/14/20 05:53 PM
O
O
I've been using my vpc1 via usb... and didn't even think about using the midi connections for my Behringer UMC204hd.

I'm still pretty green around music technology - but if I used the vpc1 with the midi instead of usb (having to power the vpc1 with an external ps right?? or can I leave usb connected for power?) would I just use the vpc1 -> midi out -> behringer -> usb to pc/mac? I'm not quite sure if there would be any reason to use the vpc1's midi input, is there (ie, connecting behringer midi out -> vpc1 midi in)?

EB5AGV #3025176 09/14/20 10:00 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
A question for all VPC1 owners... How does your VPC1 playing experience translate to acoustics?

In my case, on the acoustic I have regular access to, my Yamaha U3H, it takes just some minutes to get the key feeling, after having used the VPC1 exclusively during some days. This contrasts a lot with my former experience with lesser keyboards, as the DGX660 I had. I would say this is a big plus point for the Kawai thumb
I use my VPC-1 mainly for learning the notes, slow deliberate practice to figure out complex sections, to work on accuracy but not really to fine tune or to practice sensitive sections. This is where my VPC-1 and most if not all digital pianos throw my playing off. I would prefer to practice on my acoustic almost always but sometimes when its late at night and don't want to disturb the neighbors or my wife I sit down at my digital. There is a significant enough difference in the translation between the VPC-1 and my acoustic grand for classical music that I try to avoid using it for other than what I mentioned. In those regards it is a great practice instrument and all that most will need if they are playing in the digital realm especially if you are going to buy VSTs anyway. It's really a no-brainer. Why buy all those bells and whistles when you're going to use a quality VST anyway off a computer? The action may not be real but it's a good enough action for most that gets close to simulating a real piano action. Even if you get an expensive digital piano with a real action you are still compromising because the interface between the action and the digital sample is not on par with a real piano. It's better but not worth the money in my opinion. Just save up for the real thing and buy the VPC1 for now. Ok I've had this discussion one too many times so I will get off the soapbox now.

I actually find my Shigeru to be slightly heavier action than the VPC-1 but much smoother and with quicker recovery time (upstroke) for fast repetitive notes. I use Ravenscroft through a Shytt pre-amp to a mac mini with SDI primarily now and I played with the sensitivity of the action through the Ravenscroft app to my liking. I'm not exactly so sure how to really tweak any of these programs. I have Pianoteq as well but I don't want to spend too much time doing that as I don't find that process enjoyable. I do like the built in velocity curves for Pianoteq in the VPC1 however as that takes out a lot of the guesswork. I use the Bechstein DP in Pianoteq but I have been preferring the "realer" sound with the Ravenscroft. The beauty about the VPC 1 is that it just requires 1 usb cable to power it up. No AC cords or other cords to get in the way and it just works.

Last edited by Jethro; 09/14/20 10:09 PM.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Chopin: G Minor Ballade

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
OzarkCDN #3025182 09/14/20 10:08 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by OzarkCDN
I've been using my vpc1 via usb... and didn't even think about using the midi connections for my Behringer UMC204hd.

I'm still pretty green around music technology - but if I used the vpc1 with the midi instead of usb (having to power the vpc1 with an external ps right?? or can I leave usb connected for power?) would I just use the vpc1 -> midi out -> behringer -> usb to pc/mac? I'm not quite sure if there would be any reason to use the vpc1's midi input, is there (ie, connecting behringer midi out -> vpc1 midi in)?
I don't understand. Isn't the Behringer an audio interface recording device? If you are using a VST with the VPC-1 I would just hook up both the VPC-1 and the Behringer by USB cables to the computer/laptop. You may be able to power up both devices by USB cable only and not need for separate power supply. The VPC-1 controls the VST app and the notes played while the Behringer simply records. Can't get any more simpler than that. Unless you are planning to change instruments later but then I would just use the VPC-1 as a controller and record on different tracks on your DAW or whatever instrument you are trying to record. However, the VPC-1 is not really a great general midi controller (as in for other virtual instruments). It was built to simulate playing on the piano and if that's what you are recording just connect by USB cables IMO.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Chopin: G Minor Ballade

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Jethro #3025185 09/14/20 10:16 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro
I use my VPC-1 mainly for learning the notes, slow deliberate practice to figure out complex sections, to work on accuracy but not really to fine tune or to practice sensitive sections. This is where my VPC-1 and most if not all digital pianos throw my playing off....Even if you get an expensive digital piano with a real action you are still compromising because the interface between the action and the digital sample is not on par with a real piano. It's better but not worth the money in my opinion.
Thanks for your views here Jethro.

The fine-tuned Ravensworks VPC is an interesting but the price is a bit rich for my blood. That said, the hourly rate they are charging for the skilled labor is not unreasonable for the US.

Jethro #3025189 09/14/20 10:33 PM
O
O
I don't understand. Isn't the Behringer an audio interface recording device

I was hoping to see if I could minimize latency issues by using the behringer asio driver on a pc - it only has one usb interface for connection to the pc, and then din plug midi in/out - but wasn't sure if I need to even go midi-out the interface to the midi-input on the vpc1. What function does midi in have on the vpc1?

For reference, the Behringer umc204hd details are here.

newer player #3025241 09/15/20 05:55 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by newer player
I use my VPC-1 mainly for learning the notes, slow deliberate practice to figure out complex sections, to work on accuracy but not really to fine tune or to practice sensitive sections. This is where my VPC-1 and most if not all digital pianos throw my playing off....Even if you get an expensive digital piano with a real action you are still compromising because the interface between the action and the digital sample is not on par with a real piano. It's better but not worth the money in my opinion.

The fine-tuned Ravensworks VPC is an interesting but the price is a bit rich for my blood. That said, the hourly rate they are charging for the skilled labor is not unreasonable for the US.

What vst do you use?

I recently switched to vsl library's and I'm absolutely amazed at the level of control these libraries in combination with the vpc-1 (and the right velocity curve) give me. I can't judge the ravenworks one since I never played one, but I can't see why I would need one at all, since the standard vpc-1 is so good!

To me, vpc-1 + vsl is pretty much dp heaven!

U3piano #3025250 09/15/20 07:27 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by U3piano
I recently switched to vsl library's and I'm absolutely amazed at the level of control these libraries in combination with the vpc-1 (and the right velocity curve) give me. I can't judge the ravenworks one since I never played one, but I can't see why I would need one at all, since the standard vpc-1 is so good!

Time for me to take up the debate of upgrading from my Studiologic SL88grand to the VPC1? Or probably the MP11SE? Reading threads here is telling me that an upgrade is forthcoming when shipments reappear.

EB5AGV #3025266 09/15/20 08:19 AM
S
S
Kawaii need to upgrade both the VPC1 and the MP11SE with the GF3 action. Having played a CN-98 alongside a CN-79 the GF2 action on the 79 was miles better. 98 had this horrible, horrible spongy feeling to the bottom of the keypress.

U3piano #3025273 09/15/20 08:50 AM

What vst do you use?

VSL is just so expensive though, even on sale - maybe eventually I'll have to invest in one. It's interesting though how the right velocity curve can really make a big impact on the realism/feel, and sometimes even small changes can have a larger difference depending on the VST. I've spent the past couple days trying to replicate the touch of my upright for Modern U, and it can feel quite authentic when you get it just right. Garritan is still my favorite though, and just using the default curves is a great experience.

Svennig #3025274 09/15/20 09:03 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Svennig
Kawaii need to upgrade both the VPC1 and the MP11SE with the GF3 action. Having played a CN-98 alongside a CN-79 the GF2 action on the 79 was miles better. 98 had this horrible, horrible spongy feeling to the bottom of the keypress.

What are you gonna ask for next, that Kawai use their newest engine in the MP12?
Geez, talk about being greedy!

maul #3025313 09/15/20 11:24 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by David Lai
Time for me to take up the debate of upgrading from my Studiologic SL88grand to the VPC1? Or probably the MP11SE? Reading threads here is telling me that an upgrade is forthcoming when shipments reappear.

I don't know about the SL88grand, but I do know the vpc-1 is just fantastic. From what I have read the MP11SE is great as well, it's keys are a little lighter, if that's what you prefer, and it also has a pivot point advantage. One pretty neat thing about the vpc-1 is that you can have 5 set velocity curves ready at the touch of a... well, 2 buttons, that's really useful.

Originally Posted by maul

What vst do you use?

VSL is just so expensive though, even on sale - maybe eventually I'll have to invest in one.

I don't want to talk any cash out of your wallet, but this is how I felt for some time as well. I always told myself I don't need a VSL libary and I was always put off by the usb dongle and the higher price.

Now that I have experience with the synchron piano's, I think these libaries are very much worth both the higher price and the dongle. Actually in a sale they aren't even that expensive, but these piano's are in a class of their own, to me at least. Vsl has also had these voucher sale's in the past, I don't know if they will have that again, but that could take a good bit off the price as well.

Right now I own the D-274 light that was included in a orchestra package, and I currently have the Synchron Bosendorfer as a demo for a month. I am so impressed with both I am aiming for the Synchron piano's bundle in a sale. I'm hoping there will be another voucher sale first, that would be great. smile

Actually I wish I would have gone straight to vsl, instead of buying all these other libary's first. That would have saves me alot of $$$, but I guess that was just the road I had to take.

U3piano #3025337 09/15/20 12:36 PM
I don't want to talk any cash out of your wallet, but this is how I felt for some time as well. I always told myself I don't need a VSL libary and I was always put off by the usb dongle and the higher price.

Now that I have experience with the synchron piano's, I think these libaries are very much worth both the higher price and the dongle. Actually in a sale they aren't even that expensive, but these piano's are in a class of their own, to me at least. Vsl has also had these voucher sale's in the past, I don't know if they will have that again, but that could take a good bit off the price as well.

Right now I own the D-274 light that was included in a orchestra package, and I currently have the Synchron Bosendorfer as a demo for a month. I am so impressed with both I am aiming for the Synchron piano's bundle in a sale. I'm hoping there will be another voucher sale first, that would be great. smile

Actually I wish I would have gone straight to vsl, instead of buying all these other libary's first. That would have saves me alot of $$$, but I guess that was just the road I had to take.

Do you have the full or standard version? (Edit: Just saw you have the standard D-274, so nm) There's a lot of stuff you can buy for $250 - $500+, including saving for a future instrument. It's just hard justifying such a purchase, wondering how much better it could actually be than something like Garritan - although thankfully VSL has a refund policy unlike some other companies. It'd also be difficult to make a decision on which to buy, there's so many contrasting viewpoints and you can never really know until you actually play them yourself. Are you able to access the demo because you're a previous customer?

Anyway, if the standard version really is quite a leap over other VSTs, I'll consider it next time there's a sale. It's expensive, but on the other hand it's something that fundamentally affects your playing and enjoyment every day.

Last edited by maul; 09/15/20 12:38 PM.
EB5AGV #3025340 09/15/20 12:45 PM
O
O
Just to jump back in a for a bump in case it gets lost... I know the midi output goes to your interface, but what is the midi input on the vpc1 for?

maul #3025348 09/15/20 01:16 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by maul
Do you have the full or standard version? (Edit: Just saw you have the standard D-274, so nm) There's a lot of stuff you can buy for $250 - $500+, including saving for a future instrument. It's just hard justifying such a purchase, wondering how much better it could actually be than something like Garritan - although thankfully VSL has a refund policy unlike some other companies. It'd also be difficult to make a decision on which to buy, there's so many contrasting viewpoints and you can never really know until you actually play them yourself. Are you able to access the demo because you're a previous customer?

Anyway, if the standard version really is quite a leap over other VSTs, I'll consider it next time there's a sale. It's expensive, but on the other hand it's something that fundamentally affects your playing and enjoyment every day.

I got the "light" version of the d-274, not the standard. It is included in an orchestra package and is not separately available for purchase. It has just 2 mic positions, and "only" 30 velocity layers, about half of what the standard and full have, and even this version I consider to be quite a leap over all my other vst's, which include Garritan cfx, Synthogy American d, Vi labs modern U, Embertone walker, Pianoteq and others.

I got the Bösendorfer (full version) demo because I'm a customer. I think it's just amazing. For me the standard is great, I don't need the full version.

I haven't really looked back after I got the d-274 light. The other libraries i mentioned above are nice, but pale in comparison IMO.

EB5AGV #3025353 09/15/20 01:26 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I've read some of the replies above about the VPC1, and yes, I like heavier keys, but not as heavy as, say, the Yamaha CLP 675 or 685. These are fatiguing! Is the VPC1 lighter than those? If so, that would be the one to upgrade for me.
I'm also wondering, if I connected another midi controller on to the VPC1 using one of those midi ports, do I need to plug it into a power supply?
Thanks. This thread is super helpful!

David Lai #3025386 09/15/20 03:19 PM
EB5AGV Offline OP
OP Offline
I've read some of the replies above about the VPC1, and yes, I like heavier keys, but not as heavy as, say, the Yamaha CLP 675 or 685. These are fatiguing! Is the VPC1 lighter than those? If so, that would be the one to upgrade for me.
I'm also wondering, if I connected another midi controller on to the VPC1 using one of those midi ports, do I need to plug it into a power supply?
Thanks. This thread is super helpful!

The VPC1 is only powered by USB or external supply. So, if you just connect the MIDI cables, you need the power supply

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
plus some other DPs, keyboards and VSTs
U3piano #3025391 09/15/20 03:26 PM
H
H

What vst do you use?

What velocity curve do you use? I think the default velocity curve for D-274 on AvantGrand is on the bright side so I use a customized velocity curve. It feels much better now.

Harpuia #3025400 09/15/20 03:58 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Harpuia
What velocity curve do you use? I think the default velocity curve for D-274 on AvantGrand is on the bright side so I use a customized velocity curve. It feels much better now.

Same here, "harder touch" custom curve.

I have set the 5 custom velocity curves on the vpc-1 ranging in small steps from default to a harder touch, for me this is sufficient to have a good velocity curve for any library.

EB5AGV #3025413 09/15/20 04:34 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
The VPC1 is only powered by USB or external supply. So, if you just connect the MIDI cables, you need the power supply

If I'm using the VPC1, the keyboard will "talk" to the computer via USB. In that case, if I want to connect another controller up to the keyboard, do I still need a power supply?

David Lai #3025432 09/15/20 05:24 PM
EB5AGV Offline OP
OP Offline

If I'm using the VPC1, the keyboard will "talk" to the computer via USB. In that case, if I want to connect another controller up to the keyboard, do I still need a power supply?

I guess it may depend on the USB port used, as the manual says some times you may need the power supply even if connected by USB. As the power supply is supplied with the unit, it seems not a big problem anyway

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
plus some other DPs, keyboards and VSTs
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission