2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
34 members (3x4rt, Greta99, 36251, EVC2017, BachToTheFuture, donpi, iliverez, Dazzie2, 4 invisible), 360 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Grands vs Kawai CA 48/78 vs Yamaha CLP 645/675 vs Novus N10
#2921023 12/08/19 05:44 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the green light to the forum! This is my first post but I have been enjoying reading thousands of posts in the past few weeks/ month in my quest to find the perfect digital piano with an acoustic action for my son (G2 Oxford) who has grown out his previous £800 instrument and needs acoustic action. The piano will be primarily for home practice, with the objective of providing him with an instrument to make transitioning to a grand as easy as possible, preferably until G8 Oxford (at which point a real grand is to be considered) and first and foremost to keep him motivated and happy in in his journey.

I am grateful for the experiences shared and thereby knowledge acquired on these forums and would like to return the favour by posting about our tryout experience, which I hope some will find useful in the future- special thanks to the pearls of wisdom shared by Kawai James, MacMacMac, Tyrone Slothrop, Cybergene, Gombessa and Osho. The findings are of course all subjective for our case and in our view only, other people might have and should have differing opinions, so please don't take it personally if we favour a certain make or brand at the expense of another.

Grand pianos in the showroom ( used for warmup and benchmarking)
- Steinway grands, models D, B, A
- Kawai grands, GX-7, LX

Contestants played in the showroom
- Yamaha P-515
- Yamaha CLP 645
- Yamaha CLP 675
- Yamaha B2 Silent
- Yamaha NU1x
- Kawai CA48
- Kawai CA78
- Kawai CA98
- Kawai Novus N10

Honourable mentions
- Roland HP 506/8
- Roland HP 704
- Casio GP 500

Why? Objectives - in priority order
(1) Key action mimic - objectively, as close to acoustic grand as possible (thereby the benchmark grands). Before going to the showroom I thought this would be an almost exclusive priority (in addition to tone) considering our objectives of classical piano training for grands. However it turns out that other objectives have been making their way into the process, as we got more experienced with these fantastic instruments.
(2) Budget - defined as value for money, were primarily looking for the sweet spot just before the diminishing returns curve flattens out.
(3) Key action feeling - subjectively, defined as the FUN and likeability of the key action. Didn't expect this to become a priority, but it turns out that our aspiring pianist had formed his opinion on this quickly.
(4) Sound - before going to the showroom, I actually expected this to be a hygiene requirement ie. a pass for all contestants in this price range (most were above 2k). It turns out that some of our contestants were filtered out as a result of inferior sound (probably due to poor speakers) and they were not necessarily the ones I would have expected to drop out based on some youtube videos ...
(5) Tone - personal and entirely subjective. Before going, I expected this and "key action mimic" to be the only deciding factor, but it turned out that the tone was actually quiet likeable (although different) on all of the DPs we tried, so to my surprise this didn't end up to be a major differentiating factor. Makes sense in retrospect, as inferior and widely disliked samples wouldn't sell of course...
(6) Others - before going to the showrooms, I thought that things like measured downweight, the loudness of key action when played silently, the firmness of the key-bed, the texture of the key surface, the material of the key (plastic vs wood) would also be subject to consideration. In the end we decided these were not important for us at all, especially since the slicing and dicing of the higher priorities (key action, likeability, budget, sound) threw out a winner already...

How? Methodology
Played some scales, then the same three pieces first on the grands, then on uprights and DPs with factory out-of-the-box settings, first on normal volume and then on silent (key action only). After the first round of elimination, we returned to our favourites for a bit of free play, just to make a final comparison to be sure we found the right winner. During the first visit we could only do the Yamahas and Kawais back-to-back (but not in the same showroom) we'll try to locate the Rolands / Casio in our area and add them to the mix if we can, which is why for now they are honourable mentions only.

What? The results
I loved the Steinway grands (100-160k:) my son loved the Kawai grands (30-40k:) but then la-la-land was over and we quickly got down to business.

1- The Yamahas were all built like a tank, and if I were to leave a bulk order for my music school (where an instrument could easily see 6-12 hours of beating every day) then I would probably not consider much else. In our case, the piano at home will be lucky to see 1-2 hrs of action per day, so the build quality wasn't a decisive factor, as long as it is counterbalanced by an honest warranty

2- Interesting fact: we discovered that while the static down-weight of a Yamaha was appalling on paper (static measured at 70g), the perceived dynamic weight somehow felt heavier on the Steinway grands (static measured at 52g). Makes sense in retrospect, as the resistance of the 'escapement' or 'set-off' was more pronounced on the grand, while the first millimetre travel of the key was much lighter and easier. So the dynamism of the action (when comparing Yamaha's NWX with the Steinway grand action) felt quiet a bit different.

3- We both kind of liked the Yamaha CLPs’ crusty topping key action even when compared with the grands, but in a very different way (ie. 'if one were to design from scratch') but we couldn’t compromise as it would have been flying in the face of our top objective (grand action mimic). The CLPs were the closest to our heart in the Yammy showroom, but the 645 suffered from sound issues and the 675 from key action likeability (in my view a 645 action with a 675 sound would have been better).

4- Personally I loved the NU1x's sound (especially after the CLPs) and to my surprise even its tone (especially when compared to an upright in the same price range) but wasn't entirely convinced about the value for money, as for that sort of money one could buy a B2 upright with a silent feature already. The young aspiring pianist in the family wasn't convinced by the key action of the NU1x, as he felt that when playing pp the keys were often inconsistent (sometimes sticky, sometimes saggy, sometimes louder than expected) on that particular piano in the showroom, so that was then out by consensus.

5- Neither of us were entirely convinced by the B2 for subjective reasons we couldn't really put our fingers on (organ? tone? likeability?) so that was out too. The Yamaha P-515 scored surprisingly well in terms of tone and likeability and it is a great value for money in my view, but we found the sound to be lacking in basic hygiene (no inclination to invest in external monitors) and we also had some reservations vis-a-vis the key action, so that was out for us too.

Since there were no Rolands or Casios in either showroom... this left then the Kawais in play, and what a joy!

6- The CA48 felt absolutely fine at first, even if the keyboard felt quiet a bit looser than the Yamahas. The GF-C is reminiscent of a grand key action (not exactly twin sisters, more like distant but identifiable relatives), quiet likeable key action feel, cleared the sound hygiene test (barely but it was ok, I felt it might be lost in a bigger room, but then again we were in a showroom with lots of noise and distractions) so on a tight budget, it is definitely one I would consider. The analogue button controller of the CA48 is also quiet basic ie. we didn’t find a separate volume setting for the metronome on this model.

7- No CA58 in the showroom, so CA78 was up next: there was an immediately recognisable improvement in the sound, and a subtle improvement in the play action. The GF-2 is another GMO relative of the grand action; subjectively speaking a lovely buttery key action; we even loved the much criticised squishy bottom-out (sweet!). The sound passed the hygiene test, and we loved the warm tone esp in deep reg’s. We actually found the touchscreen controller to be intuitive and entertaining, and my son spent a lot of time challenging himself with the metronome settings, which doesn’t happen on his current piano, on which the volume of metronome is not adjustable ie too loud.

8- Interesting: the GF-2 felt very similar to the GF-C at first. Then we muted the piano and played the keys silently to be able to detect the difference, which was perceptible if you were really looking for it smile We returned to the same ‘silent play’ exercise after about 15 mins of playing on Kawai grands and the Novus, and then we could immediately feel the difference between the GF-2 and GF-C, probably because by then we knew clearly what we were looking for and forearms were also getting a bit tired. So while the GF-2 is probably slightly more controllable for an advanced player, and probably slightly more relaxing due to its longer pivot, we felt the GF-C is nearly just as good for our level (could make sense, however, if you’re either super advanced, playing for hours at a time or mostly near the board).

9- The CA98 felt very much the same as the CA78 but with better sound and a board, but by then the diminishing rate of return curve was visibly flattening (y = perceived added value; x = additional cost) and we didn't feel it would be worth the extra Eur 600 for our purposes - home practice in our living room.

10- Finally the Novus NV10 - in an entirely different league of its own of course. It really felt like a properly regulated grand, much tighter than anything in the lovely CA series. Surprisingly my 9yo son found it a bit imposing somehow (an adult instrument for sure) and by this point he was constantly drawn back to the CA48/78 by their compliant and buttery soft yet dynamic and somewhat bouncy keys (he liked even that) warm tone and the likeability of touchpad controller. He said the CA48/78 whispered to him “play me more! I’m nice!” while the NV10 was more like “I let you play me. i won’t bite” smile No objections from the family exchequer then, the diminishing marginal returns have already kicked in anyways!

Next steps
While looking into the warranty and other details of the neighbouring stores and other sellers (we live in a tiny country) I’ll also try to locate a CA58 and perhaps some Rolands and Casios in my area. May still repeat some of today's showroom tests, if I can find a CA58 (or the Rolands, or the Casio) in my area, as I’m making an important investment into my son's music education after all!

Final thoughts
The best advice on this forum is also the most controversial one. I’m referring to the "there is no substitute to trying yourself” and “it’s all personal and subjective” and “if you can’t try it, don’t buy it”. For the casual reader looking for an instant solution to a mathematical equation (X > Y > Z) this might seem like an avoidance tactic at first sight. In hindsight this was probably the best advice ever given. Most of the 2k+ digitals with acoustic action are so good these days, that the differences are mostly down to personal objectives and preferences. Many of the pianos we tried were excellent by any objective measure (apart from 1-2 examples) yet in the end only one or two delivered the necessary emotional punch (“play me more!”) to seal the deal. We had to travel a bit and it took up most of our Saturday, but we both really enjoyed every minute of the process: it made us re-discover that music is indeed an art, not an exact science.

Last edited by LuxPianist; 12/08/19 05:54 PM.
Re: Grands vs Kawai CA 48/78 vs Yamaha CLP 645/675 vs Novus N10
LuxPianist #2921099 12/08/19 09:55 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello LuxPianist, welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your detailed thoughts on this topic.

I particularly appreciated your "Final thoughts" summary, and strongly agree that once a certain price point is reached, most if not all digital pianos offer a very good quality playing experience. I believe it's impossible to make a "bad" decision at this level, therefore the player should simply test everything available and purchase the instrument that they enjoy the most.

I don't have a great deal more to offer, however to comment on a couple of points from your post:

Originally Posted by LuxPianist
The analogue button controller of the CA48 is also quiet basic ie. we didn’t find a separate volume setting for the metronome on this model.

As with other models that feature a smaller control panel with a limited number of button, the CA48 interface uses a system of "button + key press" in order to adjust most settings. To change the metronome volume, the combination is METRONOME + D#2 or F#2 to decrease or increase the metronome volume respectively. Once adjusted, this setting can be stored as the default volume when the instrument is turned on. Here are the relevant Metronome function controls, taken from the CA48 Operation Guide sheet that is included with the instrument.

[Linked Image]

(depending on the resolution/size of your screen, you may need to zoom in and/or click to see this image clearly)

7- No CA58 in the showroom, so CA78 was up next...

As you may be aware, the CA58 uses the same "Grand Feel Compact" action as the CA48, but features a more powerful amplifier/speaker system and improved (more expressive) sound engine. The control panel is also larger, with a button/display configuration comparable to the larger Yamaha Clavinova models. I strongly recommend seeking out the CA58 to play-test, as it offers a good balance between the affordability of the CA48 and the higher specifications of the CA78. For reference, here is a side-by-side comparison between the specifications of the CA78, CA58, and CA48:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/detail.php?n=3005,2731,2512&ct=36

I hope this helps - best of luck with your decision.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #2921147 12/09/19 04:58 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks James - ah good tip on the CA 48's metronome volume settings smile

Looks like the CA 48 / 58 could be the perfect mid-level DP piano for classic training. If only it were available with a touchscreen (cool motivational factor for my 9yo) and in piano black (easy on the eyes of the family) as these are really the main factors pushing us towards the CA 78. Who knows, one day our play might also grow into it.

The below article seems to imply that the CA 48 also comes with touchscreen, presume it's just a typo in the article

https://www.merriammusic.com/blog/pianos-blog/piano-reviews/kawai-ca78-review/

"Driving all of this or I should say controlling all of this is something that Kawai brought out last year and it’s now the control interface on their CA48, their CA78, 98 as well as the Novus."

In any case we own a Yamaha DP, but Kawai's CA/Novus range have grown on us and proven to be irresistible. Thanks for your (all teams at Kawai) hard work and commitment, it really shows in the final product.

LuxPianist #2921156 12/09/19 05:12 AM
Online Content
Hello LuxPianist,

Thank you for your positive feedback, it's very much appreciated.

Thank you spotting the error in the Merriam Music blog/review also. As you note, the CA48 features a simple button panel, not the full touchscreen. I will contact my colleagues at Kawai America to request the dealer corrects their article.

I expect you may have already a copy of the CAx8 series brochure from the Kawai dealer that you visited, however if not, a PDF of the English language version can be downloaded from the Kawai Global website at the URL below:

https://www.kawai-global.com/data/catalogue/CAx8_brochure_EN_300dpi.pdf

The contents are very similar to the product pages on the website, however I appreciate that some individuals prefer a traditional catalogue format.

Kind regards
James
x

LuxPianist #2921175 12/09/19 07:11 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Great James many thanks - just one more question if I may...

The GF-C on the CA 48 / 58 seems to have "Bass region counterweights" - not entirely sure what this means exactly. Would this mean that the keys to the left of a certain point (ie. middle C) are counterweighted in the same way and those to the right are not? In which case there would be 2 different sets of keys.

The GF-2 on the CA 78 / 98 seems to have "88-key Graded counterweights" - presume this means that all keys are counterweighted. Is the keyboard then also divided into ranges ie. 3-4 different sets of keys?

Many thanks ahead

LuxPianist #2921298 12/09/19 02:24 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Great James many thanks - just one more question if I may...

The GF-C on the CA 48 / 58 seems to have "Bass region counterweights" - not entirely sure what this means exactly. Would this mean that the keys to the left of a certain point (ie. middle C) are counterweighted in the same way and those to the right are not? In which case there would be 2 different sets of keys.

The GF-2 on the CA 78 / 98 seems to have "88-key Graded counterweights" - presume this means that all keys are counterweighted. Is the keyboard then also divided into ranges ie. 3-4 different sets of keys?

Many thanks ahead

I cannot speak for the GF-C, but the imagine my surprise when I opened up my MP11 with a GF-1, which also has "Bass region counterweights." Guess how many counterweights there were? Answer: 87. The only key that didn't have a counterweight was #88, C8 smile

Also, the counterweights themselves are nothing like the large lead slugs pressed into an acoustic keystick. They're just a very small, single philips wood screw, nothing to make a big deal about (again, this is on the GF-1, i don't know about the GF-C):

[Linked Image]

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #2921341 12/09/19 04:35 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I cannot speak for the GF-C, but the imagine my surprise when I opened up my MP11 with a GF-1, which also has "Bass region counterweights." Guess how many counterweights there were? Answer: 87. The only key that didn't have a counterweight was #88, C8 smile

Also, the counterweights themselves are nothing like the large lead slugs pressed into an acoustic keystick. They're just a very small, single philips wood screw, nothing to make a big deal about (again, this is on the GF-1, i don't know about the GF-C):

[Linked Image]

Nice move by Kawai on the 87/88 laugh

Ooops, re Philips screws... not sure whether I should crack up or burst out in tears frown

Perhaps someone could confirm whether the philips screws are still used as counterweights in the GF-C and GF-2 keys...

SMS (smart made simple) I suppose....

LuxPianist #2921367 12/09/19 05:53 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Kawai James provided an image showing the differences between the GF and GF-2 key actions.

Counterweights was one of the things I noticed. Graded across the range of keys, not just screws. Searching for the post I am afraid I can't find it.

LuxPianist #2921374 12/09/19 06:30 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
James linked to the post post above, which has the full list of changes:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...fference-of-gf-ii-vs-gf.html#Post2397000

Reproduced below:

- Ebony Touch black key surfaces
- More authentic key width and edge camber for black keys (based on SK-EX specification)
- Richer colour for black keys
- Moisture absorbency for black keys
- Revised hammer shape and weight (optimised centre of gravity, improves dynamic load)
- Counterweights on all 88 keys, graded from bass to treble
- Improved note-on timing, with ability to trigger notes from the let-off point

LuxPianist #2921404 12/09/19 08:00 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you both - very helpful

Ok so the intuition is that neither the GF-C nor the GF-2 has phillips screws (not that it would matter too much in terms of 'feel' but 'knowing' is different)

Back to the original questions:

1. Presume the GF-C keyboard has a single step-up in weight somewhere, if it is advertised as "Bass region counterweights" - would be great to understand where this step-up point(s) key is

2. Presume the GF-2 counterweights are not gradually graded (in which case every single key would have a different weight stepping-up in a fraction of a gram) but rather in ranges across the 88 keys (ie. 3-4 types of key weights) - would be good to understand this too if anybody knows

Grateful for your help as usual

LuxPianist #2921497 12/10/19 05:07 AM
Online Content
Hello LuxPianist,

Ok so the intuition is that neither the GF-C nor the GF-2 has phillips screws (not that it would matter too much in terms of 'feel' but 'knowing' is different)

As far as I am aware, the counterweight part is the same for GF/GFII/GFC, although it's possible that the weight (mass) itself may differ depending on the action.

Back to the original questions:

1. Presume the GF-C keyboard has a single step-up in weight somewhere, if it is advertised as "Bass region counterweights" - would be great to understand where this step-up point(s) key is

It should be possible to check this point by looking at the action of a CA48/CA58, however I'm afraid I cannot provide this information publicly.

2. Presume the GF-2 counterweights are not gradually graded (in which case every single key would have a different weight stepping-up in a fraction of a gram) but rather in ranges across the 88 keys (ie. 3-4 types of key weights) - would be good to understand this too if anybody knows

Again, I cannot provide too many details, however I gather that the position of the counterweight (along the length of the key) is graded, not the weight (mass) itself.

Kind regards,
James
x

Kawai James #2921613 12/10/19 02:37 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Again, I cannot provide too many details, however I gather that the position of the counterweight (along the length of the key) is graded, not the weight (mass) itself.

Thanks James - very helpful,

once again, SMS (smart made simple) smile

LuxPianist #2921654 12/10/19 05:32 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The original posting was quite a read! Very incisive! Which piano could stand up to such scrutiny? Since I'm interested in the CA58, it'll be interesting to follow this . . . . Good luck and much fun in your search!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
LuxPianist #2923221 12/15/19 05:45 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Just a quick update: we went to try the Rolands and Casios this weekend and they're also out due to more than one reason. So the Kawai CA 58/78 seemed to be turning the corner to the finish line, until....

We already knew that Yamaha's B2 and P series didn't speak to us, but then there was also a U1 in this particular showroom. We decided to try it as we thought we had nothing to loose. We have tried dozens of uprights in the past two weeks, but this was the first upright that really spoke to both of us. Even when compared with a Yamaha and Kawai baby grand next to it. We went to the CA 48/78 showroom straight after, expecting to be blown away by the Kawai CA 58/78.... and felt underwhelmed for the first time by the key action and the sound. We kept missing the Yamaha U1...

The Yamaha U1 in question is from 1987 was overpriced (should be around EUR 3000) and has no silent system. The seller agreed to include a Genio Alpha Premium in the price 5.9k (worth ca 2k = 1.6k + installation) which is still ca 1k above fair price (3k U1 + 2k silent) and way above our target budget of 2-3k. To make matters even more colourful, I found an advertisement for a 1983 Kawai KG-2D in good condition for 5.9k but it is some 600km away in another country....

So, after the second weekend, it now boils down to the following:

1/ NEW Kawai CA58/78 - EUR 3200 in piano black
2/ USED 1987 Yamaha U1 Silent retro - EUR 5900 with 5y local dealer warranty
3/ USED 1983 Kawai KG-2D - EUR 5900 asking (still need to fit a silent system, but I'll ask to negotiate it in) with no warranty advertised (it is also 600km away, so a dealer warranty is probably useless for us)

So then I estimate the cost of ownership to be Eur 3000 for each (more for the grand if I'm unlucky) so there's no significant difference there:
1/ For the Kawai I don't expect it to hold its value very well, so I would consider the cost of ownership to be 3k over 7 years.
2/ For the U1, I would expect that they would hold their value well (loss of ca 1k over 7yrs) but then I would need to factor in two tunes per annum (ca -2k over 7yrs) assuming the hammers, bass strings etc are covered by the warranty
3/ For the KG-2D I would expect similar costs unless I have to do a major refurbishment, in which case it could be a total loss as the dealer is not in my area ;/

Any experience with the ownership of the above instruments? We're in classical piano training, so yes an acoustic is preferable in theory but we're a busy family and do NOT need the hassle of tuning and refurbishments etc.

Plus the entertainment factor of the CA58/78 could be a plus for my son, at least it is for now...

Pls kindly advise smile

LuxPianist #2923256 12/15/19 07:12 PM
J
Online Content
J
Hi LuxPianist.

I have some experience with the Kawai KG-line that might be useful. I’ve been playing a KG-3E on regular basis for many years and I absolutely love that instrument. It has wonderful tone, even if it lacks duplex scaling that newer instruments from Kawai has. The piano feels very “robust” in a good way and it is one of my favorite instruments for practicing. There is however some things about the action that is good to know. The KG-line has a wooden action with some critical parts made of plastic materials. The reason for this is to improve durability but it is quite common that there is some problem with this wood/ plastic combination. The problems occur especially when the climate is humid where it leads to friction that can make keys to repeat slowly or even get stuck. We did a refurbishment on the KG-3E I mentioned earlier 7-8 years ago where the technician swapped the plastic parts for wooden parts and since then the instrument has worked absolutely flawlessly. Since you are mentioning not wanting refurbishment I think this could be useful to know and discuss with the seller.

Best regards

Johan

Last edited by johanibraaten; 12/15/19 07:21 PM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
LuxPianist #2923257 12/15/19 07:15 PM
M
M
I’ve had these pianos within the last two years in this order:

Roland F140 R
Kawai K300 ATX2
Kawai VPC1
Kawai ES8
Yamaha U1 (1974)

For me the acoustics have been much more enjoyable to play - the old U1 is still with me and I love playing it.
Personally I love just playing with the practice pedal if I want to be quiet - I also preferred this option in the K300 instead of using the electronics most of the time.

The U1 is lovely if slightly too bright for my tastes (only classical) if I were to nit pick.

LuxPianist #2923259 12/15/19 07:16 PM
M
M
Forgot I also had a CLP 645 for a short while - didn’t enjoy playing that one.

LuxPianist #3025066 09/14/20 03:43 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi again, the decision was surprisingly easy at the end.

We had already been settled on the CA-78 after the previous trials, but decided to reserve one and wait for the CA-79 to appear in the showroom for a tryout.

The CA78 and CA79 are very close, but the keys on CA-79 seem to be tighter: all CA78s we tried had a bit of horizonal wobble, nothing too distracting but something that would not age well. The let-off is clearly perceptible in both CA78 and CA79 but more consistent in the latter. The CA79 keys also seemed to be more natural and in spite of what pple write on forums, also heavier and more gradually weighted. This can be explained by the fact that the CA78 had been in the showroom for nearly 9 months, whereas the CA79 was fresh out of the box.

Technically speaking, the CA-79 is a slight improvement over the CA-78. But (and a bit BUT, considering it's a long term investment for us) the CA-79 is tighter, more consistent and would certainly hold up value and age much better.

Side-by-side, Kawai CA-79 EP is the winner for us!

LuxPianist #3025076 09/14/20 04:00 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Side-by-side, Kawai CA-79 EP is the winner for us!

Congrats on the new piano!

LuxPianist #3025081 09/14/20 04:13 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks to all of you who kindly offered to help on this journey - highly appreciated

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,360
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission