2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I was planning to buy new Feurich 179cm but bought used Yamaha G2 as I didn't have enough budget.

As I saw the Feurich, it looked extremely well designed and the sound was amazing what I've never heard before.

Surprisingly, the price was almost 1/2 of new Yamaha C
when compared to similar size.

The dealer said it was manufactured in Ningbo, China but all materials from German and Austria. Such as Austrian spruce, Stephen Paulleo rust free wire, English wool pelt etc. But it is very cheap as it was assembled in China but regulating, voicing and all steps are inspected by European technicians.

I asked about the Feurich to other dealer if he knows the brand and he said the materials must be all Chinese ones. He said that if the all parts from Europe, the price will be almost doubled.

The other Feurich 123cm upright piano made in Austria was more expensive than Feurich 179cm grand piano as it was assembled in Austria.

Last edited by tony3304; 09/14/20 07:01 AM.
J
J
A piano built in China isn’t a French or German piano no matter what country the components/parts are sourced from. This is like saying that Baldwin pianos are “USA pianos” because the wood that goes into building the cases/soundboard/some of the action parts are sourced in the US. That’s ridiculous. Baldwin is a Chinese piano these days, same as any other piano built in China, and so are these so-called “French” and “German” pianos you’re referring to.

Last edited by jakedaniel; 09/14/20 10:00 AM.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
The price tells you the value of piano assembling process.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tony3304
I asked about the Feurich to other dealer if he knows the brand and he said the materials must be all Chinese ones. He said that if the all parts from Europe, the price will be almost doubled.

Of course the other dealer would say that, without knowing or doing any research into sourcing of the materials. It is all about seeding doubt to sway you from the competition, whether true or not. A good reason some salespeople should be totally ignored. Alternatively, some are very forthcoming and honest.

The OP should ask the salesperson where he\she got the information. FYI, here are some specs on the Feurich 179.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I thought Feurich was made by Hailun in China ?

D
D
Hailun is the company in Ningbo that the OP mentions.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
That a piano uses European spruce in the soundboard, or American hard rock maple in the rim or pin block, or British felt and leather in the action, or whatever, doesn't make it a European piano.

The Feurich/Hailun is a Chinese piano, and that's not a criticism of the product, but a fact. They are half the price of a Yamaha C-series, that's correct. They actually punch well above their weight for the price. They're well-designed and well made, and Hailun make a very good product. Our own Rich Galassini uses Hailun to manufacture the Cunningham piano. Chris Venables uses Hailun to manufacture Venables and Sons pianos for sale in England.

The Feurich story is a little bit strange. The current Feurich brand has nothing to do with the pianos made in Germany by Julius Feurich. Julius Feurich sold his family's company name to a group of businessmen who put an office in Vienna, and the hope was that Hailun would produce a version of the Feurich piano in Ningbo, and that the original German Feurich would remain available as the top level product. For whatever reason that never happened, and the new Feurich is basically a tweaked Hailun. There is some assembly in Europe for the top of the range upright, and it's a more expensive piano than the purely Chinese Hailun. Feurich pianos used to be branded "Wendl und Lung".

The Feurich piano is an acceptable practice piano, it's strong, it's durable, it's cheap but not shoddy, and it has many attractive things about it. For me, the sound is still not in the league of Yamaha and Kawai, who in my opinion produce pianos with a more musical tone.

I know that Rich Galassini and Chris Venables have changed the design of their respective pianos so that they sound more musical and present a mid level product at a more entry level price.

My advice to you is if you like the Feurich piano and you're happy with the price then there's no reason not to buy it. It's not going to give you the same dynamic response as a Yamaha, but half the price does not mean half as good in this game.

Other pianos to look at would be Irmler by Blüthner, W.Hoffmann by C. Bechstein, Essex by Steinway, and then look at some of the other Chinese brands such as Ritmuller, Yangtze River, Pearl River, who are all making far more musical instruments than they did 20 years ago.

YAMAHA Artist
C
C

Last edited by Chordo24; 09/14/20 12:18 PM.
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I would compare this with Chinese pianos made in Germany and Austria.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Other pianos to look at would be Irmler by Blüthner, W.Hoffmann by C. Bechstein, [...]

In this context this looks like W. Hoffmann is manufactured in China It's not. It's designed by Bechstein in Germany and manufactured in the Czech factory in Hradec Kralove.

I think you meant to write Zimmermann.

As to Feurich: The 218 is actually a new design by Paulello and it's really good.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I meant to write W. Hoffmann, not because I think it's made in China, I know it's not. But rather, it's a competitively priced product and in my opinion is a good alternative to an Asian piano.

YAMAHA Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Besides W. Hoffmann, what other pianos are made in Europe and are competitively priced?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
T
OP Offline
T
When I tried 218, the sound was beyond amazing and the big gap with 179.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Besides W. Hoffmann, what other pianos are made in Europe and are competitively priced?
Schultz and Pollman(some models) ,Wilhelm Schimmel and Wilth Steinberg.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/15/20 02:32 AM. Reason: missing text
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
^ Thanks.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Schultz and Pollman(some models) ,Wilhelm Schimmel and Wilth Steinberg.

As you are in Europe, maybe Petrof as well.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The last time I checked Petrof prices they were too premium and outside my budget. But I like their pianos. Maybe I should try to negotiate or ask the factory directly.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

Keith, you are always the voice of balance and reason. 😊 I want to be you when I grow up.

Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
The current Feurich brand has nothing to do with the pianos made in Germany by Julius Feurich. Julius Feurich sold his family's company name to a group of businessmen who put an office in Vienna, and the hope was that Hailun would produce a version of the Feurich piano in Ningbo, and that the original German Feurich would remain available as the top level product. For whatever reason that never happened, and the new Feurich is basically a tweaked Hailun. There is some assembly in Europe for the top of the range upright, and it's a more expensive piano than the purely Chinese Hailun. Feurich pianos used to be branded "Wendl und Lung".

The Feurich piano is an acceptable practice piano, it's strong, it's durable, it's cheap but not shoddy, and it has many attractive things about it. For me, the sound is still not in the league of Yamaha and Kawai, who in my opinion produce pianos with a more musical tone.

I know that Rich Galassini and Chris Venables have changed the design of their respective pianos so that they sound more musical and present a mid level product at a more entry level price.

Thanks for your observation, Joe. After a cursory examination of a Feurich 178, I can say that the scale looked the same as a Hailun 178. When I asked the rep. himself to tell me the differences he referred to different gauges of strings in different sections. It made no sense to me. (I don't think it made sense to him either).

I agree that today's Feurich (or the one I saw 4 years ago or so) are tweaked Hailun pianos. They are certainly prepared differently and may even use a different hammer, but that would be where the changes stopped (at least in pianos I have seen).

The Matchless Cunningham changes the plate, the soundboard, bridge placement, rib placement, hammers, and in some cases, the rim.

Last comment, musical is in the ear of the listener. Chen Hailun has no desire to take the Cunningham design and apply it to his Hailun pianos. Mainland China is his main market and a huge number of his pianos stay there. He doesn't need North America or Europe and the Hailun scale and sound is perfect for that region and his ear.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The last time I checked Petrof prices they were too premium and outside my budget. But I like their pianos. Maybe I should try to negotiate or ask the factory directly.

You did ask for 'competitively priced' brands not cheap ones smile

More seriously, do check what the prices actually are in your area. Although in the PB price guide Petrof is a premium and rather expensive brand that isn't the case here in the UK where, roughly speaking, I seemed to be able to get a Petrof for sort of 2/3rds of the Yamaha equivalent. I don't think the Petrof was quite as well made, but it was close and a very sweet piano - although I didn't buy one I thought them very good value and a clear step above some of the pianos being discussed here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission