2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
42 members (Chouca, anotherscott, Burkey, 1957, David Lai, clothearednincompo, 11 invisible), 398 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rokit 8 g4 and nord piano 4 - bad sound —help!
#3024436 09/12/20 06:55 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi,

I m a piano beginner (7 months) and read tons of threads before posting this. I m so depressed.

I Would please really need some guidance to try and fix the quality sound - tinny, thin, not warm at all coming from :
- 2 krk Rokit g4 8
-1 krk Rokit s10 sub
- nord piano 4
- focusrite Scarlett 6i8

The nord sends to focusrite —> xlr balanced to sub with 80khz crossover cut —> Rokit 8

Focusrite Scarlett is connected at the same time to a Mac via usb-c

The sound is thin, too bright, not rich, lacks body and warmth regardless of the selected grand piano (White, imperial, silver, Italian etc) . I m just playing simple triads or arpeggios. I knew the keybed of the nord is not a winner but I believed the sounds of pianos were fantastic.

I tried dozens of changes by equalizing the speakers (also with the pink noise app from krk) and the nord piano (onboard equalizer) to no success..

A few points:

- it’s a big living room In a modern building with most walls made of glass for 75% of heigh
- the speakers seem too close to glass walls and the sub to the wall
- but if I play some hi quality tracks from tidal using a Mac through the scarlett the sound is 10x better, richer, warmer, detailed, not tinny. Compared to a music track my nord 4 sounds like a badly compressed low quality mp3
- when I listen to YouTube demo of nord 4 the pianos are incredibly better than what I manage to get from my set up
- the sound from headphones (akg 701 Reference - Directly connected to the nord 4 or amplified for better fit with impedance) is better
- if I switch to pianoteq 6 on the Mac using some presets of a Steinway B , there s a bit more depth to the sound improves a bit, not much
- I was using up until a week ago a Roland fp90 and 2 Adam audio 7v (Via an identical Scarlett) in the same position and same constraints (lot of glass etc) - without a sub. I then moved this set up to another place for weekends. It sounded much better. Not like headphones but not so disturbingly bright.

What can I do? Thanks a lot frown

Last edited by dukeofclarence; 09/12/20 07:02 PM.

- Roland fp90, Adam a7v
- Nord piano 4, Rokit R8, sub s10
Re: Rokit 8 g4 and nord piano 4 - bad sound —help!
dukeofclarence #3024446 09/12/20 07:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D

- Roland fp90, Adam a7v
dukeofclarence #3024463 09/12/20 08:26 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
Online Happy
500 Post Club Member
D
Could it be one of the settings on the FocusRite? I'm just guessing here. As I run VST instruments, I can't help you very much on that one. Sorry! But I'm also using a KRK and FocusRite, just a bit smaller -- the Rokit5 G4 and the Focusrite 4I4. smile

dukeofclarence #3024500 09/13/20 01:28 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
This seems kind of mysterious, I would troubleshoot by removing everything possible and then start adding equipment back in. So can you hook the Krk monitors directly to the Nord and check the sound? If that sounds better then start adding the Scarlet, subwoofer and computer one at a time.

By the way, I understand your disappointment, it looks like such a nice clean set up, what could go wrong? I have Rokit 8's with no sub and am quite happy with them. You do have to position them properly and sit in the correct position, but that is generally true of all monitors. Good luck, it has to be something simple.

Last edited by SoundThumb; 09/13/20 01:37 AM.

[Linked Image]
dukeofclarence #3024540 09/13/20 04:53 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi
Thanks a lot for your ideas! I m sure the poor sound depends on my set up .
When I stream some music from Tidal via my connected Mac (through focusrite with usb c) , the sound is so much better

I will try later today:
- to remove every component and hook the nord directly into the 2 R8 , to gauge the difference with the Scarlett. Then I will add the sub and finally the Scarlett
- to play around with the Scarlett interface to see if I am using twice mono instead of stereo out (was suggested in the nord forum)

Will post the results here.
Thanks!

- Roland fp90, Adam a7v
dukeofclarence #3024699 09/13/20 03:22 PM
S
S
"The nord sends to focusrite" I presume you mean analogue 1/4 inch, rather than midi?

So first up I would strip back *everything*. Back to Nord + Headphones. Then try to get Nord 1/4 -> focusrite 1/4 -> phones on the front. Make sure that the ports are set at line level in focusrite control if you're using the front jacks. You should be able to get basically identical audio through to the phones. Once you've got this, put the monitors on direct, then add sub etc etc.

dukeofclarence #3024721 09/13/20 04:51 PM
J
J
I must be missing something but if your intention is to hear your Nord through speakers what is the purpose of the focusrite? Wouldn't a standard set up be Nord line outs L and R to the amp/speakers? If you want to add voice/mic I'd be using a mixer not an audio interface.

dukeofclarence #3024740 09/13/20 06:29 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
For piano, you don't need the subwoofer. Try it without the subwoofer and see if it is improved.

If so, then the likely issue is that the subwoofer level is too low. You may find that setting the subwoofer at a higher level causes some boominess from room resonance, also called standing waves. If that is the case, you would either need to get bass traps for the room or keep the subwoofer out of the audio path.

With 8" monitors, you don't really need the subwoofer. 16' organ pedal stops and bass synthesizer sounds are the only things that will go very deep on a Nord keyboard, and I don't even think your instrument has the Nord organ sounds.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck.
Jonky Ponky #3024763 09/13/20 07:46 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You should start by hooking the 2 Rokik monitors to the Nord.

Play a little bit and listen.

If you like it .... stop.

If you wish to dig deeper ....

Hook the Nord to the Sub and the Sub to the 2 Rokik monitors.

Play and listen ....

Here is where you need to read the manual for the Sub .... because you may need to make an adjustment to filter the frequencies that get passed through to the Rokik monitors.

Iif you wish to try a VST ....

Hook the Focusrite to the Mac and the Focusrite to the Sub (or directly to the 2 Rokik monitors, by passing the sub).

Hook USB (midi) cable from Nord to the Mac.

Get your software working ...

Play a little ...

Listen ...

Now to back to whichever you like the best.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
Jonky Ponky #3024771 09/13/20 08:11 PM
D
OP Offline
D
You are probably right. I bought the focusrite to hook a mic as well alongside the nord piano . likely a Beginner s mistake smirk . I don’t have a mixer (I m not recording anything, just sometimes singing along) ...

Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky
I must be missing something but if your intention is to hear your Nord through speakers what is the purpose of the focusrite? Wouldn't a standard set up be Nord line outs L and R to the amp/speakers? If you want to add voice/mic I'd be using a mixer not an audio interface.
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky

- Roland fp90, Adam a7v
dukeofclarence #3024773 09/13/20 08:14 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Studio subwoofers are different from consumer subwoofers. They are only designed to play the lowest octave of sound, and they usually don't have continuously variable crossover frequencies. I think the KRK 10s has either 3 or 4 settings. Setting it down to 60Hz may help because the satellites can then produce more of the bass with the subwoofer set lower in volume.

I believe this subwoofer has a foot pedal to bypass the high pass filter for the monitors and route the sound directly to the monitors.

Moving the subwoofer out from a wall may also help reduce standing waves and enable a higher subwoofer volume without creating boominess at room resonance frequencies.

Pianos only need to go down about 55Hz because the soundboard does not reinforce the fundamental frequencies of the lowest octave of a piano. The 8" KRK monitors go lower than 55Hz by themselves.

The KRK 10s has a consumer line level RCA inout so it always can be used for a home stereo.

dukeofclarence #3024774 09/13/20 08:17 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks a lot for all your precious comments!

I will try my best starting with the piano + headphones and work back from that. I ll remove everything and try step by step

( currently the nord outputs L and R audio via 1/4 cables to the back line in of the focusrite which in turn outputs two separate xlr cables to sub which in turn sends audio to the 2 monitors with a 80 Hz crossover setting .

The harshness of reflective surfaces , plenty Of glass in this room, natural wood on the floor , metal windows frames etc,... is definitely not helping at all (I have some rugs but it s far from ideal...)

Thanks !!

Last edited by dukeofclarence; 09/13/20 08:18 PM.

- Roland fp90, Adam a7v
Sweelinck #3024778 09/13/20 08:27 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks a lot, ver instructive! Will try to play around with sub, or remove it altogether. Yes it has the foot pedal option but I don’t have it... thanks again

Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Studio subwoofers are different from consumer subwoofers. They are only designed to play the lowest octave of sound, and they usually don't have continuously variable crossover frequencies. I think the KRK 10s has either 3 or 4 settings. Setting it down to 60Hz may help because the satellites can then produce more of the bass with the subwoofer set lower in volume.

I believe this subwoofer has a foot pedal to bypass the high pass filter for the monitors and route the sound directly to the monitors.

Moving the subwoofer out from a wall may also help reduce standing waves and enable a higher subwoofer volume without creating boominess at room resonance frequencies.

Pianos only need to go down about 55Hz because the soundboard does not reinforce the fundamental frequencies of the lowest octave of a piano. The 8" KRK monitors go lower than 55Hz by themselves.

The KRK 10s has a consumer line level RCA inout so it always can be used for a home stereo.

- Roland fp90, Adam a7v
dukeofclarence #3024812 09/14/20 12:01 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
If your monitors are the G4 version you may also want to consider using the room correction DSP equalization feature.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,862
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission