2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
70 members (Cutec, Charles Cohen, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, accordeur, aphexdisklavier, chopinetto, anotherscott, andredatele, 14 invisible), 596 guests, and 475 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is fader placement better on the Roland RD-2000 or Fantom 8?
#3024732 09/13/20 04:32 PM
OP Offline
I'm big into using the faders to crescendo the sounds of different layers of instruments into the song using one hand, while playing with other. Usually my right hand will play the notes, and each finger on my left hand will control a fader to control each instruments separate volume.

I figured faders on the left hand side of the keyboard like on the Roland Fantom 8 where all I have to do is reach out straight forward with my left hand to control would be best, because it gives me the most keyboard area to run around the keyboard with my right hand and play whatever with out having to switch, but the Fantom 8 is four thousands dollars. lol I can save up though.

The Roland RD-2000 has its faders more near the left middle near the screen than the full on left hand side like the Roland Fantom 8, which will mean I'll have to have my left hand aimed more to the right instead of straight forwards like on the Fantom, and if I want to play on the lowest registers on the left, I'll have to switch hands, and play with my left hand and control the faders with my right hand. The Roland RD-2000 is $2,600, which is a great price imo. Then again, I can save up for the Fantom 8 too... so, please mostly ignore the factor of money when giving me your advice/opinion.

or does the fader position not really matter when it comes to crescendoing and controlling individual volumes of layers with one hand while playing the keyboard with the other hand?

I would LOVE to hear feedback from Roland RD 2000 and Roland Fantom 8 owners primarily, but everyone else please feel free to chime in too! As I'm sure MANY people here have used faders on other brands of keyboards for the same exact purposes as I want to. grin

Thanks in advance everyone! You're all awesome, and always so very helpful! I REALLY appreciate it! smile

Last edited by MelodicRevengexX; 09/13/20 04:38 PM.

If people from hundreds of years ago somehow mastered music theory without the internet...

We have no excuse today.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Is fader placement better on the Roland RD-2000 or Fantom 8?
MelodicRevengexX #3024872 09/14/20 05:43 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Could you use an external MIDI control surface? That way you could have the faders wherever you want them.

I think controllers slightly left of middle is good for controls you want to access while playing. Extreme left is good too. I'd probably be inclined to swap hands if the faders are handy for both.

Re: Is fader placement better on the Roland RD-2000 or Fantom 8?
MelodicRevengexX #3024952 09/14/20 11:04 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
There's no empty spot on an RD2000 or Fantom 8 where you could put an external MIDI control surface that would be any better suited than the current fader locations... plus the standard faders come with LED indicators that show the current values of their parameters.

But back to the OP, depending on how many faders you need, the difference may not always be very much, because much of the difference isn't about the location of the faders overall, but how widely spaced they are among themselves. The uppermost fader on the two boards is only off by a few notes... it's at A below middle C on the RD2000 and a fourth lower at E below middle C on the Fantom. The bigger difference comes from the spacing, which despite a not-extremely-different right end location, puts the leftmost fader at only an octave below the rightmost on the RD (A below the A below middle C), but about an octave and a half below the rightmost on the Fantom (near the 2nd C from the bottom). So it is the left extreme that is really different.

But honestly, I think it's all workable, and doubt many would find the different fader arrangements significant enough to choose one of these boards over the other. There are so many much more substantial differences. And crossing hands is not so terrible (it is a playing technique, after all!), and if you're playing some left hand pads and such, you're just as likely to sometimes want to use your right hand to adjust some sound levels anyway.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pleyel but what age?
by manykeys - 12/01/20 02:52 PM
physical pleasure of playing
by rogerzell - 12/01/20 01:52 PM
December Piano Bar
by Jason Lenthe - 12/01/20 12:28 PM
What did you play today?
by Johan B - 12/01/20 11:29 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,188
Posts3,029,329
Members99,442
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission