2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
42 members (Chouca, anotherscott, Burkey, 1957, David Lai, clothearednincompo, 11 invisible), 398 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dead Kawai CA95 :-(
#3024353 09/12/20 03:02 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi all (apologies - repeat post, I put the last one in the wrong area!)

Hoping someone can help. My Mum owns a Kawai CA95 digital piano and out of nowhere, it will no longer turn on. It's just dead. Mum is a piano teacher, and I want to try and fix it for her. I've repaired sticky keys on it before so don't mind disassembling it. However has anyone come across this before?

I've swapped the cable, checked the fuse and they're all okay. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Jon

Re: Dead Kawai CA95 :-(
jonboyuk #3024358 09/12/20 03:30 PM
K
Online Content
K
There might be a slow blow fuse on the main board as a safety feature but no idea where it would be should be easy to spot once you are in there - hope you get sorted

No good but carry on regardless
jonboyuk #3024387 09/12/20 04:21 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jonboyuk
Hi all (apologies - repeat post, I put the last one in the wrong area!)

Hoping someone can help. My Mum owns a Kawai CA95 digital piano and out of nowhere, it will no longer turn on. It's just dead. Mum is a piano teacher, and I want to try and fix it for her. I've repaired sticky keys on it before so don't mind disassembling it. However has anyone come across this before?

Many thanks

Jon

You did not mention a fuse.

This could be a fuse, but not a slow blow fuse.

I would look for one.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
jonboyuk #3024394 09/12/20 04:46 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Check the Kawai manual for a hard reset procedure.

Did you check the fuse in the plug? (assuming you are in the UK based on your "user name")

Is the wall socket functioning? Does the plug seat in firmly? Test the socket with a lamp. Check any mains fuse. Try a different socket just in case.

Unplug the piano from mains and open up. Take a careful look for any loose connectors or parts from prior disassembly. Check any internal fuseable components.

Any odd smells? Look for visual signs of burnt boards/components, swollen caps. The power caps can hold a serious charge so use caution even if the unit is unplugged. If you see damage, do some research before DIY for health & safety purposes.

jonboyuk #3024406 09/12/20 05:28 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks all.

I've assumed the fuse is okay because the cable successfully powers on another device. The wall socket is fine, other devices work ok from it.

Yes I'm based in the UK smile

I think I'll try and disassemble the top like I did before and look for anything dodgy. Sadly it's quite hard to get to the bit where it plugs in at the bottom (it's so flipping heavy to put on its back) but I may have to have a look underneath.

I'll have a look for a slow blow.

The only thing I can think is Mum recently had a power cut. I wonder if a surge could have fried it? But then again, I guess a fuse would protect the board...

Again, thanks for all your input.

jonboyuk #3024410 09/12/20 05:42 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Also search the internet for Kawai service manuals. You might not find the exact model but there are a few to give you a better idea.

jonboyuk #3024411 09/12/20 05:44 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I wonder if a surge could have fried it? But then again, I guess a fuse would protect the board...

Don't bet on that. I have a UPS on my piano and wouldn't want to be without it. Even that's no guarantee of no problems with the power, but it's (relatively) cheap insurance.

Further, one of the worst things for electronics is a power sag (the opposite of a surge), and a fuse won't do anything to protect against that.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
jonboyuk #3024434 09/12/20 06:52 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Also, Surge protectors are not set and forget. They wear out. you have to refresh your surge protectors after a while.

YOU CAN just buy the replacement MOV and solder them back into the strips or UPS-es. Buh... well I'm sure reading this people don't know what MOVs are or own soldering equipment.

Just a headsup.

In some old houses, basically whenever the refrigerator comes on, it's like a mini brown-out and a surge. These old homes blow alot of modern equipment because everything has low voltage circuitry nowadays. In these houses, if you were to buy a standard Surge protector strip, you'd have to replace them every few months.

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/12/20 06:54 PM.
jonboyuk #3024449 09/12/20 07:20 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I really think you need the assistance of a professional repair shop.
My Mum owns a Kawai CA95 digital piano and out of nowhere, it will no longer turn on. It's just dead. Mum is a piano teacher, and I want to try and fix it for her. I've repaired sticky keys on it before so don't mind disassembling it. However has anyone come across this before?
If you don't have expertise in such repairs then a do-it-yourself attempt is just asking for trouble.

jonboyuk #3024457 09/12/20 07:56 PM
E
E
There might be a slow blow fuse on the main board
Most electronics use fast blow fuses which react and protect much faster than slow blow. And even those might not blow fast enough to save fast solid state electronics. But it really doesn't matter. Unless you look very closely they look the same. So just look for fuses. They might be in fuse holders and they might be soldered to the board. I am not familiar with Kawai electronics, but the fuses could be surface mount in which case you might not recognize them and will require some electronics skills to test and replace.

I really think you need the assistance of a professional repair shop. If you don't have expertise in such repairs then a do-it-yourself attempt is just asking for trouble.
You have 240VAC in the UK, correct. If you are not electronics savvy you might hurt yourself (and the circuits) with this high voltage. I could walk you through some steps to analyze this. But that might be dangerous. I am not aware of any general electronic repair shops here in the US. Not sure what you might have in the UK. Probably a Kawai dealer is best.

I would not suggest doing anything else beyond looking for a blown fuse and checking the AC cord. You probably cannot fix anything beyond that yourself anyway. If you are still determined to do any more testing yourself - BE VERY CAREFUL. You are getting into dangerous territory.

jonboyuk #3024496 09/13/20 01:04 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
You want to open the panel underneath (in front of your feet), that's where you'll find the amps and power supply. You can poke around with a multimeter and see if you get anything.

Last edited by trigalg693; 09/13/20 01:04 AM.
jonboyuk #3024588 09/13/20 08:02 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I've assumed the fuse is okay because the cable successfully powers on another device.

This makes no sense to me.

I am referring to a fuse inside the piano.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
dmd #3024630 09/13/20 11:36 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
I've assumed the fuse is okay because the cable successfully powers on another device.

This makes no sense to me.
The UK has some uber-well designed plugs, which include a built-in fuse. Just don't step on the brass tips with bare feet as they hurt more than stepping on Legos do.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

jonboyuk #3024689 09/13/20 02:49 PM
K
Online Content
K
Yup 240 V here in the UK but I bet a pound to a penny the circuit board is on 5 Volts.

No good but carry on regardless
jonboyuk #3024715 09/13/20 04:18 PM
B
B
I pulled the panels off my CA-95 to take a few pictures for you. Underneath the piano, the piece that looks like a speaker grill has 3 screws at the top. Remove these, tilt the piece forward until you can lift it off the pins on the bottom.

The bottom panel has 2 screws on each side. Remove these. Now the hard part was mine required a lot of force as the side brackets have some tape on them that stuck to the side of the piano. On each side on the bottom apply lifting force it breaks free. Do one side at a time this way. Alternatively you can try a plastic knife to pry the bracket from the side. I was worried about scratching something, so just applied some brute force. Then lift the panel up off the bottom pins and tilt one side out toward you to remove. You will have to wiggle these panels between the legs since the front legs are inset a bit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Top image is what the bottom looks like with the panels removed and a closer shot of the right side. Right to left you have the power input board, a transformer, a power distribution board, and three amplifier boards for the transducer, right, and left channels.

Third image is the power board which is sunk in by the floor. There is one fuse here to check. Last image is the power distribution board with five fuses. Could also be something with the power switch. You'll have to trace this to see if the connector or switch has an issue. I usually use a multimeter to check for continuity on the switch.

One thing to add. If the display powers up, but there is no sound, then it could be blown amplifiers. I had two of the three blow on my first CA-95 in the first week. Dealer replaced the entire piano for me. In this case, you could see if headphones work.

Last edited by bsntn99; 09/13/20 04:27 PM.
jonboyuk #3025037 09/14/20 02:38 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Apologies for the delay and thanks to all of you for your input. Sadly I'm having to look at this for my Mum who's under a lot of financial hardship in the wake of my Dad's passing (only a couple of weeks ago). So paying a dealer isn't something either of us can afford at the moment.

I do appreciate the danger of poking around in the wrong places so I won't go much beyond checking or replacing internal fuses.

Bsntn99, you've really gone above and beyond taking those photos for me. Thank you. I will have a bash at this over the weekend and see if any of the fuses have blown. For what it's worth, there is no display firing up, so its' definitely not blown amplifiers!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,862
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission