2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
30 members (clothearednincompo, dantheman1983, Greta99, Buzz209, Beowulf, brendon, Info2011, David B, GreatShowmanChopin, 5 invisible), 324 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Prokofiev Sonata & Brahms Intermezzo on N1X speakers!
#3023879 09/11/20 04:03 AM
H
Harpuia Offline OP
OP Offline
H
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1f5411b7hQ

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1LK411K7DM

I found a couple of videos on Bilibili (a Chinese video website), which are some performances and master classes uploaded by Jay Pengjie Sun, a professor at Xinghai Conservatory of Music in China.

The first video is Prokofiev Piano Sonata No.3 performed by an 11-year-old competition winner in China. This looks like an informal recital in Jay's house.

The second video is a masterclass of Jay teaching the Brahms Intermezzo in A Major, Op. 118 No.2.

I would say that the N1X sounds amazing under the fingers of professional piano players! This is by far the best video of N1X played using speakers. We had a lot of discussions on whether the N1X speakers are real enough. However, it sounds really good actually.

Note that Jay, the uploader of the video, is a Yamaha artist. So I assume that he is promoting N1X. But it's really happy to see conservatory professors like these hybrid pianos!

Last edited by Harpuia; 09/11/20 04:06 AM.
(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Prokofiev Sonata & Brahms Intermezzo on N1X speakers!
Harpuia #3024295 09/12/20 11:37 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Loved the Brahms! But the Prokofiev sounds a little harsh on the attack to me. smile
I've met this professor before in China, a very nice gentleman, but sometimes he can also be quite funny in his jokes. smile

Harpuia #3024338 09/12/20 01:17 PM
Online Sleepy
Amazing players, amazing sound.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
David Lai #3024378 09/12/20 02:56 PM
H
Harpuia Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by David Lai
Loved the Brahms! But the Prokofiev sounds a little harsh on the attack to me. smile
I've met this professor before in China, a very nice gentleman, but sometimes he can also be quite funny in his jokes. smile

Well, usually digital pianos are able to handle loud and fast passages pretty well but usually fail in the soft and delicate range. I think N1X is the opposite here.

The Brahms sounds pretty good under Jay's fingers. For the Prokofiev, I think the major issue is the clarity of all those dense notes blending together. People on this forum usually say that N1X speakers sound muffled and less "in the face". It resembles an acoustic grand pretty well if playing less notes. However, it sounds muddy here, especially the bass. Maybe it's because of the room acoustic, or the piano itself. I don't think AvantGrand sounds harsh naturally. However, it might be the case that the player would like to bring more clarity to the sound so he tends to pound the melody notes harder and the attack becomes a little harsh.

I started to admire Jay Pengjie Sun after I learnt that he had dual master degrees in computer science and piano performance, since I also had a CS degree but can never achieve his level on piano playing!

Harpuia #3024383 09/12/20 03:14 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Originally Posted by David Lai

Well, usually digital pianos are able to handle loud and fast passages pretty well but usually fail in the soft and delicate range. I think N1X is the opposite here.

The Brahms sounds pretty good under Jay's fingers. For the Prokofiev, I think the major issue is the clarity of all those dense notes blending together. People on this forum usually say that N1X speakers sound muffled and less "in the face". It resembles an acoustic grand pretty well if playing less notes. However, it sounds muddy here, especially the bass. Maybe it's because of the room acoustic, or the piano itself. I don't think AvantGrand sounds harsh naturally. However, it might be the case that the player would like to bring more clarity to the sound so he tends to pound the melody notes harder and the attack becomes a little harsh.

I started to admire Jay Pengjie Sun after I learnt that he had dual master degrees in computer science and piano performance, since I also had a CS degree but can never achieve his level on piano playing!

That's very interesting. I didn't know that he had adegree in computer science as well!!!
Yes, that Prokofiev 3rd was too harsh -- I wouldn't play it like that most of the time. smile But that room was also quite lively, I mean, kind of full of echoing...

Harpuia #3024438 09/12/20 05:56 PM
M
M
I find the N1X a bit boomy in the basses range - especially on the Intermezzo (I'm less familiar with the Prokofiev). But non the less interesting, given that this is recorded via what I assume is a basic camera/phone mic and not the line in directly from the n1x.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Beethoven's Sonata No. 17 (Der Sturm) Mv. III.
Marchelune #3024440 09/12/20 06:04 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Marchelune
I find the N1X a bit boomy in the basses range - especially on the Intermezzo (I'm less familiar with the Prokofiev). But non the less interesting, given that this is recorded via what I assume is a basic camera/phone mic and not the line in directly from the n1x.

Obviously not the direct audio from the N1X but the speakers and the room. smile

Harpuia #3024460 09/12/20 07:22 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL . I am sorry, but have to disappoint you: these are not on N1X speakers!
Right now these are on my laptop speakers instead!!! Or on other listener speakers/headphones.
grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
VladK #3024461 09/12/20 07:24 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by VladK
LOL . I am sorry, but have to disappoint you: these are not on N1X speakers!
Right now these are on my laptop speakers instead!!! Or on other listener speakers/headphones.
grin

LOL!!! Yeah, exactly, Vlad!!! smile

Marchelune #3024485 09/12/20 09:56 PM
Online Sleepy
I always thought the boomy bass is due to the samples and not the speakers.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bl├╝thner Sighting
by Retsacnal - 11/25/20 11:44 PM
HELP with VST
by Eli26 - 11/25/20 09:14 PM
Weinbach Grand--What the what?!
by jmiley97302 - 11/25/20 07:17 PM
Using the same music in two different pieces
by pianoloverus - 11/25/20 07:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,048
Posts3,027,200
Members99,372
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission