2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
28 members (CyberGene, A Guy, Balcon, Beowulf, Anglagard44, doremi, Beemer, Fer15, 6 invisible), 422 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: My next midi keyboard?
MartF #3022603 09/07/20 06:40 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MartF
If it helps, I don't think you'd really be paying for the features you don't use. I wouldn't be surprised if for every VPC1 sold Kawai sell 10 MP models and a 100 CA models. The higher sales volume and the fact that they operate in a competitive market brings the price down. Where as the VPC1 pretty much lives in it's own market and I expect, costs more to manufacture per item sold.

That said, the VPC1 is priced lower, and the top of the CA79 would be a bit high for putting other controllers on top.

Just wondering, have you found a separate controller solution? You mentioned liking the 3 joysticks on the SL-88, but joysticks seem to be a rare thing on standalone controllers.

Well, after talking with my sales engineer yesterday regarding initial plans, we decided to look for the best key action first. The extra controls can be achieved in its own time, maybe with a second layered stand or something. I think it's better to take it one thing at a time. smile

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
David Lai #3022734 09/08/20 08:25 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends!
So I just took a look at the Sweetwater website for the products they carry.
Out of the 16 midi controllers that have 88 keys, the Kawai VPC1 is the only one that I would consider an "upgrade" that might solve my problems. The others are either fatar action keybeds, or Roland's FA4 action, which from what I heard from some of you, can be found on a digital piano that's half the price of the midi controller.
Of the other options that might result in an overkill, there's the Kawai NV10, the Yamaha N1x and the Kawai MP11SE. All 3 have their positives and negatives, and I won't consider them if the VPC1 fits my expectations.
Hopefully, this has narrowed down my search and all that's linked with it!

David Lai #3022758 09/08/20 09:15 AM
P
P
Hello David.

I have the older version MP11. When using it to drive VSTs I can tell you that the most important setting (perhaps the only setting) that is crucial is the ‘touch’ setting. There is a dedicated knob for this, so that’s good, but without the a ability to read the LCD screen I don’t know how anyone would know what setting you’re on other than trial and error.

On this forum and others we have a great friend Kawai James who works for Kawai but also acts as an independent agent. Perhaps you might ask him for guidance on the VPC-1 or other Kawai keyboards with respect to accessibility issues.

Jack

PianoMan51 #3022772 09/08/20 09:42 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
Hello David.

I have the older version MP11. When using it to drive VSTs I can tell you that the most important setting (perhaps the only setting) that is crucial is the ‘touch’ setting. There is a dedicated knob for this, so that’s good, but without the a ability to read the LCD screen I don’t know how anyone would know what setting you’re on other than trial and error.

On this forum and others we have a great friend Kawai James who works for Kawai but also acts as an independent agent. Perhaps you might ask him for guidance on the VPC-1 or other Kawai keyboards with respect to accessibility issues.

Jack

You make a good point, Jack! Now with the SL88Grand, if I want to set the velocity curve, I just remember how many times I press a certain key, and I know that I hit a virtual boundary on a given setting, ETC. It can be done, though it does require work! smile I'll message James and ask him for help too. Thanks! smile

David Lai #3022785 09/08/20 10:19 AM
The VPC1 has 5 settings for velocity which are easily selectable by pressing same time the power button and one of the higher octave black keys. Selecting exactly which curve is each is done with a PC software, but the unit remembers those settings

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
plus some other DPs, keyboards and VSTs
EB5AGV #3022819 09/08/20 12:02 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
The VPC1 has 5 settings for velocity which are easily selectable by pressing same time the power button and one of the higher octave black keys. Selecting exactly which curve is each is done with a PC software, but the unit remembers those settings

Now that's much more easier to do!!! And I can definitely see myself doing it if need be. Thanks for letting me know! smile
I wished, though, that it had a volume slider that could send midi volume messages so I can freely adjust how loud or soft I want the output volume to be. smile

djvu10 #3022983 09/08/20 09:52 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by djvu10
No manufacturer is going to discuss a new model until they're ready to launch it.
Small comment, but note it isn't always like this and it's starting to feel old-fashioned. See e.g. IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, Drop.

MartF #3022986 09/08/20 10:04 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by djvu10
No manufacturer is going to discuss a new model until they're ready to launch it.
Small comment, but note it isn't always like this and it's starting to feel old-fashioned. See e.g. IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, Drop.

You do have a point there. smile I'm now seriously considering if the VPC1 is the right one for me... On paper it should meet all my desires for a piano style midi controller without built in sounds.

David Lai #3023655 09/10/20 01:28 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends! So I just connected with my Sweetwater sales engineer, and we’ve narrowed it down to either the VPC1 or the MP11SE. These are the products that they carry, and he believes that these will be within my significant price range, in other words the money that I’m willing to pay. However, new shipments will not arrive until probably next month. That time is very tight, as one of my recitals is next month. and I also was hoping to make some recording‘s and such and such. So time is everything at this moment. Should I just stick to my controller for now, and wait for an upgrade some other time? But I really feel like I needed the extra few inches on the black keys, so that I know and have a better sense of my positions and muscle memory. Should I change sellers? Knowing that none of these instruments I have demoed, I don’t know how they feel like. This is a very complicated issue right now. What should I do?

David Lai #3023672 09/10/20 02:15 PM
H
H
Hmm so does the seller give you a chance to try the VPC1 or the MP11SE?

Piano: Yamaha N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Harpuia #3023679 09/10/20 02:23 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Hmm so does the seller give you a chance to try the VPC1 or the MP11SE?

No, they don't have demo units in their location. The only possible thing to do is to wait till next month and then things can be done about trying... Which if I do, it would be kind of tight.

David Lai #3023682 09/10/20 02:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
vpc is not generally stocked at retailers. I did try a used model in a big NYC store once.

It shares some DNA with the MP11 for sure. If you use VIs exclusively, the vpc is much less expensive.

newer player #3023705 09/10/20 03:26 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by newer player
vpc is not generally stocked at retailers. I did try a used model in a big NYC store once.

It shares some DNA with the MP11 for sure. If you use VIs exclusively, the vpc is much less expensive.

Yes, I exclusively use VI's, so those with built in sounds will not help me very much. smile

David Lai #3023729 09/10/20 04:15 PM
C
C
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy vpc1. I had a vpc1 and upgraded to the grantouch which has almost same action as avant grand. The difference isn’t that great but the avant grand is better but not by much. I then traded my gran touch for an grand piano. I sold my vpc1 because I thought i wouldn’t use it. Now I am going to buy vpc1 again because I can’t practice at night. Do not hesitate to go for this model. Yes it is a little hard to play at the end of the keys close to fallboard but only at the extreme. Otherwise not a problem. I don’t even notice it. I play classical.

Sanchez
CoogerTown #3023735 09/10/20 04:25 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CoogerTown
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy vpc1. I had a vpc1 and upgraded to the grantouch which has almost same action as avant grand. The difference isn’t that great but the avant grand is better but not by much. I then traded my gran touch for an grand piano. I sold my vpc1 because I thought i wouldn’t use it. Now I am going to buy vpc1 again because I can’t practice at night. Do not hesitate to go for this model. Yes it is a little hard to play at the end of the keys close to fallboard but only at the extreme. Otherwise not a problem. I don’t even notice it. I play classical.

Oh, I play classical, too. I really wished I had the confidence like you, but it's more than $1000! I think it would be better for me if I tried something before buying it? I don't know, but I just can't bet on it -- it's too much to bet. smile And if I lose, then it could be $1000 down the drain.

David Lai #3023780 09/10/20 07:10 PM
H
H
Do you have any chance to get access to an acoustic grand piano before your recital?

Piano: Yamaha N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
David Lai #3023787 09/10/20 07:41 PM
M
M
I was in a similar position (well, except my playing skills are about zero), and so went with renting. It is costly, as the minimum period (where I am) is 6 months, but it's worked well for me as it's taken me about that long to decide whether I like it. There's usually the option to buy for a reasonable price. I don't know what's in your area, but renting a VPC1 might make sense if you can.

Harpuia #3023788 09/10/20 07:48 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Do you have any chance to get access to an acoustic grand piano before your recital?

Yes, at my campus. But I would avoid going there because of COVID, and also, my mom who needs to take me there is quite nervous about these things. I will only go for rehearsals and the actual recital, at least I'll try doing that. Plus, I want to give the practice rooms to those who either don't have an instrument, or must take advantage of an acoustic grand. I think the ACD and VSL Steinway, ETC, are far far better alternatives than the out-of-tune Steinways we have in our practice rooms, lol.

MartF #3023789 09/10/20 07:49 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I was in a similar position (well, except my playing skills are about zero), and so went with renting. It is costly, as the minimum period (where I am) is 6 months, but it's worked well for me as it's taken me about that long to decide whether I like it. There's usually the option to buy for a reasonable price. I don't know what's in your area, but renting a VPC1 might make sense if you can.

I don't believe there are services like this in Cincinnati, though. That's where I am. It also shows up in my posts. smile

David Lai #3023793 09/10/20 08:09 PM
M
M
Sorry, I live on the other side of the world, and have no idea what stores you have available blush smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Yamaha Clavinova cvp209 Fault
by Johnnyretro - 11/28/20 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,120
Posts3,028,356
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission