2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
72 members (36251, cmb13, Anna B., David B, dima5222, clothearednincompo, Bobbyfunkhouse, 16 invisible), 504 guests, and 403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Did I make a mistake buying this? Help??
MelodicRevengexX #3023272 09/09/20 03:58 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I don't know if it's the "best", they're probably all about the same, but in the U.S. I think this is the cheapest, and it's free return if it doesn't work out...

https://amzn.to/3hhfUlf

Last edited by anotherscott; 09/09/20 03:59 PM.
anotherscott #3023536 09/10/20 09:13 AM
OP Offline
Thanks again! Also, I just finished doing detective work on google on Viscount keyboards to research the K4-EX, then I called Viscount to ask them questions (the guy seemed very optimistic. Of course he did. He wants my money, plus they stopped selling those keyboards in 2017 because SO MANY people where returning them according to the guy from Kraft music.. lol. lol), then I called Kraft and found all that out from the guy, thennn I read online that the K4-EX's have an annoying metallic sound to them that can't be dialed out.. AND it's glitchy and lags at times, according to some people in forums who returned theirs too.. lol So, as the queen says, "aaaand another one bites the dust!" ...I'm going to need to get a cheaper keyboard in the end Scott, because I'm going to need to afford therapy due to all of this emotional heartache I'm getting from trying to find a keyboard that has ALL the features I want in it. Haha jk When all is said and done though, the final result will be SO MUCH more sweeter and better, because it will literally be the perfect keyboard... for me personally at least, for my needs and wants. lol

I then found a Kurzweil PC4... it was near perfect in features.. it even look beautiful with the blue lights and black body, then.. I found out as you flip through the sounds.. they begin to get distorted.. and gain artifacts from past sample sounds that you just had it on.. So I would have to turn it off and turn it on again every few samples, I'm NOT dealing with that crap. lol I went from happy, to wanting to bang my head against the wall. lol

NOW... I think I see a shimmer of hope yet again.. the Roland RD 2000 ..it looks really nice.. almost perfect.. it even has the triple pedals I wanted!! FINALLY. Plus a TON of concert grand pianos built in along with other awesome high quality sounding sounds. Updates even gave it 6 more concert grand pianos already.. it's a God send for when I start playing classical in the future.. being stuck with 3 grand pianos like on a Kawai would make me a little bored (maybe, but I think so). lol This also means I don't have to spend money on a piano only module, which is amazingly great, and a huge relief, because it felt liek it was going to be a waste of module space about my future keyboard. lol (I've given up on looking for wooden keys I think. Since I can't go to Guitar Center due to corona.. I'm going to lose my mind seeing if wooden keys are right for me or not by asking OTHER people. lol So screw it I guess. Hammer action it is, because I want it to feel like a real acoustic grand piano at least, but light enough for me to play fast synth stuff and fast virtual instruments.. So I guess Hammer Action is a healthy meet in the middle right? What do you think? Then maybe a second wayyy cheaper keyboard (with balanced action) mainly for organ, on a top rack.. because why not. lol I might as well start learning organ too at this rate. Seems really fun too!) my only issue is (I'm going to make a forum post on this question also.) I WISH the Roland RD 2000 faders, and the control knobs that are located all the way to the left were switched around.. like it is on the Motif XS8 where the faders are on the far left, like that, when I use my Yamaha Motif Rack XS, my left hand can easily stretch straight forward and crescendo instrument volumes of different layers on the faders, and my right has the entire keyboard free to make chords and play whatever. With the faders more to the right on the keyboard I when I want to go to the lower registers with my right hand, I'll have to
EITHER overlap my arms and that would be weird and maybe crampy, OR switch over to playing with my left mid playing and use my right hand to control the faders.. I feel (in a guess) like when I touch the faders quickly with my right hand to regain volume control, they might push up a fader of two a bit without me wanting to.. and ruin the recording, or if I practice, that would just be annoying. lol I feel it would be better to have my left hand forever on the faders.. I could be wrong though. To be fair, I've never used faders on a keyboard before.. I've only dealt with sound board faders.

Here's the Roland RD 2000: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD2000--roland-rd-2000-88-key-stage-piano

Here's a great video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1yT1l7wyYs&t=926s

Also, on the Roland RD 2000, can I do what the Kawai MP11 can do, which is connect a sound module like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS and layer it over the normal internal keyboard sounds of the Roland RD 2000?

I want to do EXACTLY this to the T, as this has been my end goal (as you know already) all along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0I3zBycLnQ

Also, what usb faders boxes that have 9 faders, and are know to be the best to be used between a Yamaha Motif Rack XS and midi keyboard controller to control the layer volumes of the Motif Rack XS? I looked it up and there SO MANY.. and since most are meant to be used via usb.. I have no idea which would work best when converted to midi.. Can you send me your top picks? Thanks so much! smile

Do you have friends who have converted usb fader boxes to midi? Have most of those fader boxers worked flawless in the end as midi fader boxes for keyboard sound modules? or have some of them found glitches and problems after some time?

I assume I can’t use mechanical usb fader boxes right? Only usb would work?

Also, as for Midi, how would I hook this up using the Yamaha Motif Rack XS a usb fader box, and the Roland RD 2000?

Btw when I asked about if I can record midi audio or not earlier in this thread.. idk why I asked that. lol I knew the answer already, I was just lacking sleep I guess. Haha Plus I havent worked with midi in about 2 years, so my memory was rusty. lol

I blame corona for all these oddly specific and sometimes seemingly weird (to other people at least lol) questions I'm asking on this forum. I could have just befriended the Guitar Center employees in the piano/keyboard section, and stood there 3 - 5 hours testing and comparing 10 keyboards like a maniac until I found the perfect one.. but no. Corona. So asking here is my only choice. So, again, I REALLY appreciate you helping me out so much Scott! You're the man! smile

Last edited by MelodicRevengexX; 09/10/20 09:17 AM.

If people from hundreds of years ago somehow mastered music theory without the internet...

We have no excuse today.
MelodicRevengexX #3023561 09/10/20 10:31 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MelodicRevengexX
I then found a Kurzweil PC4... it was near perfect in features.. it even look beautiful with the blue lights and black body, then.. I found out as you flip through the sounds.. they begin to get distorted.. and gain artifacts from past sample sounds that you just had it on.. So I would have to turn it off and turn it on again every few samples
It was definitely buggy when released, but they have been very good about periodic updates to stamp out bugs and add new functionality. Even at its worst though (I played the very first OS), you didn't have to "turn it off and turn it on again every few samples" but just every now and then. Kurz also happens to be very strong in its MIDI functions. Its weakness is probably the action, which isn't terrible... you'd probably be fine with it if you were okay with the DGX660, but don't expect it to feel like a Kawai.

Roland RD 2000...a TON of concert grand pianos built in along with other awesome high quality sounding sounds. Updates even gave it 6 more concert grand pianos already.. it's a God send for when I start playing classical in the future.. being stuck with 3 grand pianos like on a Kawai would make me a little bored (maybe, but I think so).
It is nice to have variety, though one great sound is better than a dozen okay sounds. A real Steinway only has one sound. ;-) Also, the "6 more concert grands" are still all Roland V-Piano sounds, and while they will sound different, I suspect they will all sound like Roland V-Piano, which is something some people love and some people don't. Related, you mentioned the Viscount pianos having a reputation for sounding metallic, and people have said similar about Roland pianos. But in either case, rather than take people's word, you can listen to samples on youtube, etc. and see if you like the sound.

I've given up on looking for wooden keys I think...Hammer action it is, because I want it to feel like a real acoustic grand piano at least, but light enough for me to play fast synth stuff and fast virtual instruments.. So I guess Hammer Action is a healthy meet in the middle right? What do you think?
Hammer action is not a "meet in the middle." There are lots of hammer actions, some are lighter, some are heavier, and you can't assume one is heavier because the keys are wood. But anyway, a light hammer action would be in the top Kurzweil Forte. Kawai MP7 was a pretty light and quick action too. I'm not sure about the newer MP7SE which has a different action.

my only issue is (I'm going to make a forum post on this question also.) I WISH the Roland RD 2000 faders, and the control knobs that are located all the way to the left were switched around
You're assuming you'll always be playing with your right hand and asjusting with your left, but sometimes you do the reverse. There's no perfect location, but it's all usable.

Also, on the Roland RD 2000, can I do what the Kawai MP11 can do, which is connect a sound module like the Yamaha Motif Rack XS and layer it over the normal internal keyboard sounds of the Roland RD 2000?
Yes. In fact, the Kawai only supports control over 4 external sounds, I believe the RD2000 supports 8.

Also, what usb faders boxes that have 9 faders, and are know to be the best to be used between a Yamaha Motif Rack XS and midi keyboard controller to control the layer volumes of the Motif Rack XS? I looked it up and there SO MANY.. and since most are meant to be used via usb.. I have no idea which would work best when converted to midi..
No difference. A "USB Host-to-5-pin-MIDI" adapter either works or it doesn't, there should not be a "works better" for the adapter, nor should one brand of USB fader box be any more suited to being plugged into a 5-pin MIDI adpter than another. It's kind of like asking what kind of keyboard you should buy if you need to be able to plug it into an extension cord.

All you need the fader box to be able to do is assign a channel and MIDI CC to each fader, and you'll be able to use the sliders to control the typical controllable parameters of any of the modules. I like the old 9-fader Korg NanoKontrol (the new ones only have 8 faders, so not as suitable for organ drawbar use if needed), but I'm not an expert on these, and have almost no personal experience with them.

I assume I can’t use mechanical usb fader boxes right? Only usb would work?
I don't know what you're referring to here.

Also, as for Midi, how would I hook this up using the Yamaha Motif Rack XS a usb fader box, and the Roland RD 2000?
You can use the sliders on the RD2000. But if you want separate additional ones for the Yamaha. Use a MIDI Merge function to send the MIDI from both the RD2000 and the USB Faders (via the USB HOST MIDI adapter) into the MIDI IN of the Yamaha. You can do it with a MIDI Merge box, or the RD2000 might have that function built in, I don't know. A lot of the more advanced MIDI controller oriented keyboards can do that kind of thing without additional hardware.

anotherscott #3023720 09/10/20 04:56 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by anotherscott
You can use the sliders on the RD2000. But if you want separate additional ones for the Yamaha. Use a MIDI Merge function to send the MIDI from both the RD2000 and the USB Faders (via the USB HOST MIDI adapter) into the MIDI IN of the Yamaha. You can do it with a MIDI Merge box, or the RD2000 might have that function built in, I don't know.

RD2000 has a MIDI through output (actually you may configure as either through or out). Would that work as merge box?

About the piano sounds, you were spot on, some love, some think they are OK, some hate them. So, once again, the OP would have to try it instead of relying (only) on other's opinions or Youtube demos.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
EVC2017 #3023740 09/10/20 05:34 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EVC2017
RD2000 has a MIDI through output (actually you may configure as either through or out). Would that work as merge box?
It would need some kind of configuration option that would allow it to send the THRU and the OUT signals out over the same connector (which could be either the THRU or the OUT). If there's no internal menu config option to do that merge, then no, you'd still need a merge box. If there IS such an option, then you would plug the fader box into the MIDI IN, and use that merge option so that the fader box midi is passed thru AND merged with the normal midi out of the keys.

MelodicRevengexX #3023747 09/10/20 06:04 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Now you got me curious. I will try to do some tests during the weekend to see if it works. I guess if I connect a controller to the MIDI in and play it and RD connected to a PC running a VST piano (Pianoteq), it should play, right? Or I got it wrong?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
MelodicRevengexX #3023778 09/10/20 08:05 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
That would work IF the Roland has an option to merge Thru and Out over a single connector. It would not work that way by default, there would have to be an option to enable it. If there is no such option, it won't work. But all of that is assuming that you're using the 5-pin MIDI jacks. Once a computer is onvolved, you have the USB option available, so then there are more variables.

MelodicRevengexX #3024236 09/12/20 10:28 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Updating an earlier post, there are some occurrences of USB devices that will not work with MIDI Host adapters. I forgot about class compliance, since it really hasn't been much of an issue in so many years. But since you're looking at used stuff, you could run into it. Some USB gear won't work with these adapters, because they need custom drivers loaded onto the computer in order to work, and you can't load custom drivers on to the adapters. Also, some may not work through hubs. For more details, you can check https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gospel-Jazz Chord Progression & Scale
by BB666 - 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Guitar Center Mulls Restructuring
by newer player - 10/30/20 12:44 AM
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,489
Posts3,018,746
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission