2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (ambrozy, AndrewJCW, 36251, dcupright, deadlymajesty, 1957, 8ude, chaplincap, chopinetto, Bett, 4 invisible), 567 guests, and 538 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Possible discussion points
rogerzell #3023343 09/09/20 05:53 PM
W
W
For point 4, there is also this:
I am not so much of a performer.
So, in my limited experience,
I allow the beauty of the superior piano and the loved music to console me for my fears. Likewise (less so) the drama of the spotlight lighting the keys.

Last edited by winterflower; 09/09/20 05:54 PM.
Re: Possible discussion points
rogerzell #3023366 09/09/20 07:02 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi folks this is interesting! Thank you for speaking up.

Sidokar and Bennevis---I guess I should have said something sooner--and maybe my original post was stated indelicately---I have never said that "ego" as a motivator was a bad thing. The list of great great things that are the results of one person's ego is long and glorious. Unfortunately, the list of bad, evil things is also long. Ego is what it is.

I'm thankful that Pollini and Zimerman have ego enough to give us what they do. Same for Picasso, Rodin, the Beatles, and all other good folks.

Meanwhile, deciding to become a concert artist: yes, I guess for most that's a fairly early decision (not for Rachmaninoff). Assuming you have very positive feedback from some trusted and very knowledgeable mentor, or other such, you have an idea that you are good enough, perhaps brilliant. And you know that part of the reward could be fame and love and appluase. But from the start, success is not guaranteed, and meanwhile there's rent to pay. So---what is the motivation? What I'm hearing now is--it could be interesting, I'm obliging my colleagues. That could work for me, or you. But (and of course, I don't know for sure) I doubt that would be enough sustain a genius concert player to continue.

Now--if you do not become a concert artist, and never could, and never thought of it--in short Joe Schmoe (me)--if you have no special talent, sooner or later you get a job. There may be room to rise, maybe not. Maybe you work at rising, maybe not, depending on your ambition. Meanwhile, you're not on stage, you have no fans, your only reviews are yearly job reviews. I found this fairly satisfying--low profile, low risk, enabled me to buy a house and save enough for retirement. But no wonderful, brilliant excitement on stage, no applause, no fame or fans. My amateur and pro playing was very satisfying, ego-wise, but not enough to pursue as a vocation.

Obviously, I'm not in "the professions"--medicine, law et al--too much work, too much risk. I'm too lazy.

Sidokar--re "I found it interesting as another experience in life"--and I'm joking here, to some degree--I've been offered some "experiences" too, but my ego would not allow some of them (hehe). And then there are the experiences of Bennevis--marathons, mountain climbing, skydiving--wow!

Bennevis--re "You clearly do have ego as a reason for doing what you do"--yes I do, and I said so, right above where you said this. You do not quote my earlier statement--"And the main reason I post videos of this is to make some record that they [THE OLD SONGS] existed". I certainly don't deny the ego involved--I consider it to be in a good cause. A tiny, maybe inconsequential cause, but a good one. Certainly better than Stalin's.

Finally, quickly--Ive never been at the point where I attend enough concerts to get very picky about which one to attend. To me, almost any big name pianist is good to see/hear. However, due to laziness and aging habits, I'm unwilling to travel 25 miles and park in a city. But Bennevis--you're right. I wouldn't see Horowitz if he played all Nono show.

off subject, kinda--Yefim Bronfman came to a neighboring town and played in a very small hall at a private school--I'm guessing a connection there--and played a very full show, including both Gaspard and Islamey, a very enlightening Beethoven sonata (maybe 2 of them) and some other absolute fingerbusters. Cost me bupkes, and a 10 minute drive. If it had been all Nono, I would not have attended. But otherwise, anything was good enough. it was great. But it would have just as great if it were Pollini. So maybe I have no discernment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,651
Members100,189
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission