2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21
H
H
For all the people having trouble in doing the update with the "file not found" error: Turn on your piano, put the usb key on, go to the "usb memory" part of the menu, and select "FORMAT": the piano seems to format the usb stick to exactly the correct FAT32 standard format. I tried it with three different usb sticks, both on PC and MAC formatting tools, no luck whatsoever. With the CA99 formatting tool, worked right away !

M
M
But it says in the instruction that one shouldn’t use the digital piano to format the USB stick . . . 🤔

Roland FP-7
Kawai CA99
H
H
Well yes, but it seems for me it was the only solution to update the Piano 🤣

M
M
I have a CA79 coming. Is there a way to update the firmware using an iPad? That’s all I’ve been using for the past 5 yrs. My old desktop is outta commission.

Thanks,
Muskie

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Muskellunge
I have a CA79 coming. Is there a way to update the firmware using an iPad? That’s all I’ve been using for the past 5 yrs. My old desktop is outta commission.

The updating process requires connecting a USB memory device to the instrument.

Preparing the USB memory device for the update (i.e. downloading and extracting the update files and copying them to USB) is usually performed on a computer. However, if your iPad is running iPadOS 13, I believe it should be theoretically possible to perform these actions with the USB memory device connected to the iPad. Unfortunately, it's not something that I have direct experience with, however.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
“Theoretically possible”.... Well that’s not comforting.LOL

I’m sure I’m running the latest IOS. If it’s as simple as getting some type of Lightening to USB adapter, that would be nice. Something I’ll have to look into. If not, I’ll have to talk to someone with a computer.

PS... Just looked. I’m at IOS 13.7

Thanks for the info, James.
Muskie

H
H
“Theoretically possible”.... Well that’s not comforting.LOL

I’m sure I’m running the latest IOS. If it’s as simple as getting some type of Lightening to USB adapter, that would be nice. Something I’ll have to look into. If not, I’ll have to talk to someone with a computer.

PS... Just looked. I’m at IOS 13.7

Thanks for the info, James.
Muskie

No problem here, just get a lightning USB adapter, format the key using the piano (there is a USB memory option that allows you to format) download the file from the site with safari, and in Files, you should be able to transfer the file to the USB key smile

M
M
Thanks Hikekami,
I see they have an adapter at Amazon. A lightening to USB3. Looks like it’s the one I need. I’ll get the Apple brand because I’ve noticed knockoff brands often don’t work after anISO update. I’ve even had charge cables lose the ability to work after an ISO update. I just stick with Apple hardware nowadays.

Guess I’ll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Muskie

G
G
Hi James,

hope everything is alright and healthy :-).

Any News on a new update of the remote app (bug fixing, LCD screen with "black" mode - deactivation of background light- as promissed?

Thx Galuwen

B
B
Hello folks, first post. I bought a CA79 last week, and due to an odd vibration/clipping overlay that sometimes seems to affect the sound, I've tried to update the firmware as I read that has worked for other with similar issues. I used the usb method and successfully installed the touchscreen update to 1.06, with the whole process working as decribed on the pdf. However, it's not working with the firmware update. I've tried 2 formatted usb sticks (both of which work fine), and have tried downloading the update three times. After reading this thread, tried using the other usb port (not the hidden one I used first time) but no joy. I then installed the app on my phone, connectd to the piano by bluetooth, and the app began updating the piano, which it said was complete. The piano still reads V1.03 though (have switched it off and on) , so I'm assuming has still not updated. I've run out of ideas ( have also tried a system reset on the piano in case the mistake was in updating the touchscreen first, but the reset still seems to keep the touchscreen update). Is there anything else I can try? Thanks!

J
J
Here's the link to the Firmware update. You use the USB socket next to the headphone socket for the Firmware update once you've downloaded and unzipped the Firmware update system file.

Firmware update

3. Connect the USB memory device
While the CA99/CA79 digital piano is turned off:
Connect the prepared USB memory device to the [USB to DEVICE] port located on left side of the instrument, underneath the keyboard, beside the headphone connectors.
* Be careful not to confuse this port with the [USB for UPDATE] port located behind the headphone connector block.

4. Start the update
Press and hold the uppermost E, A, B, and C keys (see diagram) simultaneously, then press the POWER button to turn on the digital piano.
The Firmware Update screen will be shown, and the update process will start automatically, with progress messages shown in the LCD display.
* Do not disconnect the USB memory device or turn off the instrument while the update is in progress.

John

Kawai CA79
G
G
Good morning.
@James: will the new update be released later this year? Is there any news on release times?

OP Offline
Hello Gianluca, I'm afraid I cannot provide any information regarding scheduling, however I do know that the next round of updates is being actively worked on.

Kind regards,
James
x

G
G
Ok, thanks.
We hope soon.

Best regards,

G.

M
M
Hello BluesT,
Did you try what Hikenkami suggested at the top of this page? .... “ For all the people having trouble in doing the update with the "file not found" error: Turn on your piano, put the usb key on, go to the "usb memory" part of the menu, and select "FORMAT": the piano seems to format the usb stick to exactly the correct FAT32 standard format. I tried it with three different usb sticks, both on PC and MAC formatting tools, no luck whatsoever. With the CA99 formatting tool, worked right away !”

I had a few USB sticks where things appeared to go fine. Worked fine on the lcd screen, but not the firmware update. Received the message “file not found”. The ONLY way I got it to work was formatting the sticks using the CA79. I did this, it solved my problem.
Muskie

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello BluesT,
Did you try what Hikenkami suggested at the top of this page? .... “ For all the people having trouble in doing the update with the "file not found" error: Turn on your piano, put the usb key on, go to the "usb memory" part of the menu, and select "FORMAT": the piano seems to format the usb stick to exactly the correct FAT32 standard format. I tried it with three different usb sticks, both on PC and MAC formatting tools, no luck whatsoever. With the CA99 formatting tool, worked right away !”

I had a few USB sticks where things appeared to go fine. Worked fine on the lcd screen, but not the firmware update. Received the message “file not found”. The ONLY way I got it to work was formatting the sticks using the CA79. I did this, it solved my problem.
Muskie
Same for me. That was the only way to get firmware to work.

D
D
I finally managed to persuade mine to adopt 1.08 firmware today, after trying several methods it took a brand new unused USB, format on my Lenovo and only the one file loaded from the unzipped download folder.
It was E,A,B,C, and it went in first time today.

Now all I need to do is fathom out just what the firmware update actually changed LOL,,,

White Kawai CA79
Musical Scotsman
D
D
Originally Posted by Hikenkami
For all the people having trouble in doing the update with the "file not found" error: Turn on your piano, put the usb key on, go to the "usb memory" part of the menu, and select "FORMAT": the piano seems to format the usb stick to exactly the correct FAT32 standard format. I tried it with three different usb sticks, both on PC and MAC formatting tools, no luck whatsoever. With the CA99 formatting tool, worked right away !

As opposed to the "exactly the correct FAT32 standard format" invented by Microsoft and implemented on Microsoft Windows 95 and DOS 7.1 in 1996 ?
If there's any argument on who can implement FAT32 correctly, I'd be backing Microsoft over Kawai....

Last edited by Dave Milne; 08/04/21 03:55 PM.

2021 Kawai CA99, 1896 Bechstein
I
I
Dear Mr. James and every other reader of this this post,

I also posted a separate thread for these issues but I am also posting this here since I feel it is at least partially relevant. I have recently purchased a CA 79 and have been mostly satisfied with it. It is running the latest updates.

My main issue here is the inability to transfer songs that have been initially saved onto the internal memory to a USB. On page 83 of the Owner's Manual it states "This USB port is used to connect a USB memory device to the CA99/CA79 digital piano. This allows MP3/WAV audio files, and SMF song files to be played directly. It is also possible to record performances to MP3/WAV audio files, and save recorder songs stored in internal memory for posterity." However, I haven't been able to find a way to do this.

Another feature which seems to be missing is the ability to delete single songs from the internal memory. I know you can delete all of them but this seems to be an essential feature missing, especially from a premium product such as this one.

One last minor thing is the absence of capital letters. I mean, in a past update they added the ability to change the bluetooth device name but at the same time I can only type lower case letters. It feels a bit incomplete.

I apologise if these features are present but haven't been able to find them. If that is the case, then someone please reply to my thread explaining to me how to do it. I would be really grateful!

If these features really are missing, then it would great to see them being added in a future update although since the last update was in April of 2020, I highly doubt that we will see any more updates in the future frown

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I wish you a wonderful day <3

OP Offline
Hello Ioakim, welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Ioakim
My main issue here is the inability to transfer songs that have been initially saved onto the internal memory to a USB.

Yes, unfortunately, this is not possible with the current CA99/CA79 software. Currently, the best option is to record an MP3/WAV audio file directly to USB. Alternatively, you may wish to use the PianoRemote app (iOS/Android), which is able to record/playback MIDI data and also share/send the file to a computer etc.

Another feature which seems to be missing is the ability to delete single songs from the internal memory.

Yes, this limitation has also been reported by some customers. As mentioned above, PianoRemote supports MIDI (and audio file) recording and playback, and does allow individual recordings to be deleted. I would like to think that similar functionality will be implemented in the CA99/CA79 touchpanel, however I'm afraid I cannot provide an concrete information.

One last minor thing is the absence of capital letters.

Yes, this has also been reported.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission