2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thank you Jethro for posting about the Yamaha SXs. I haven’t seen or tried one. I’m really glad you are still over the moon about your Shigeru and all Kawai’s. As I mentioned before there is a very large Kawai fan group on PianoWorld, far larger than the Estonia (We are not a Cult we are a) Club. So you’re in good company.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
Thank you Jethro for posting about the Yamaha SXs. I haven’t seen or tried one. I’m really glad you are still over the moon about your Shigeru and all Kawai’s. As I mentioned before there is a very large Kawai fan group on PianoWorld, far larger than the Estonia (We are not a Cult we are a) Club. So you’re in good company.
Yes there is quite a devote following of Estonia pianos here. A remember a time when just about every other thread here was about Estonia Pianos and Dr Laul making those surprise visits at local dealers. The Estonia’s are another gift to amateur and professional pianists. They are exquisite high end pianos at a price many piano enthusiasts can afford. In the end this is good for the art of playing the acoustic piano. It seems like in the past decade they have been going the way of the dinosaur in the US and Europe with digitals often purchased instead. Used to be to get into the art of piano every home had to have an acoustic, but digitals have become an alternative but not quite a replacement. Affordable pianos ensures that the future of the acoustic is sustainable rather it just becoming a rare niche product.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by j&j

There are other good brands owned by members here who do not even have a club, and for the most part do not post about the brand or model past purchase

Seems where there needs to be a club is with the lower priced models, as that is the majority of purchases.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by j&j

There are other good brands owned by members here who do not even have a club, and for the most part do not post about the brand or model past purchase

Seems where there needs to be a club is with the lower priced models, as that is the majority of purchases.
I'd love to read more stories from owners about those other rarer pianos that have been purchased. Those that do I often find share interesting facts about their pianos and most I have never heard much about unless I read about it here. This is a piano forum within a website called Pianoworld so if ever there is an appropriate place to post about pianos it is here. So as Emery Wang put it, "keep it coming!"

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by j&j
Yes there is quite a devote following of Estonia pianos here. A remember a time when just about every other thread here was about Estonia Pianos and Dr Laul making those surprise visits at local dealers. The Estonia’s are another gift to amateur and professional pianists. They are exquisite high end pianos at a price many piano enthusiasts can afford. In the end this is good for the art of playing the acoustic piano. It seems like in the past decade they have been going the way of the dinosaur in the US and Europe with digitals often purchased instead. Used to be to get into the art of piano every home had to have an acoustic, but digitals have become an alternative but not quite a replacement. Affordable pianos ensures that the future of the acoustic is sustainable rather it just becoming a rare niche product.

Estonias might be lovely, but they don't make any uprights and so are not possible for those of us without the space.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by j&j

Estonias might be lovely, but they don't make any uprights and so are not possible for those of us without the space.
There should be a thread dedicated to high end uprights only. That would be very interesting to read. Before I owned my home I was looking at high end uprights. I think many would be surprised at how nice a high quality upright can sound. The actions are improving as well.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Love the tone of those Shigeru's !
Jethro my Kawai 500 model from 1966 kind of "aged out. It needed restoration, so I sold it in 2017.
I tried a few new grands at first (although I started to think of getting a good or excellent upright upright instead )
The tall good European uprights I found had a wonderful tone ,tone projection and a responsive touch.The Sauter 130 suits me perfectly at a time in life when I no longer need a grand.
Probably if I did get a grand it may have been a GX2 or 3.
The GX and the Shigeru for me have a tone that is closer to European pianos than the other Japanese piano ,unless I went
for one of the higher models of Yamaha., But then I may as well have bought a Schimmel, Estonia or some other European grand .
Listening to those Shigeru's brought back the day I tried one.
Yes ,it is a piano with hauntingly beautiful tone.
However I am perfectly satisfied with the piano I have ., it reminds me of the Seiler I had as a child. So I am not "fretting" for a grand.
Sauters are beautiful uprights. I've heard them but never got the chance to play one but I've heard samples online. They sound very very nice. I'm sure you are enjoying yours.

Wow a K500 from 1966. How did that play and sound?
No it was a grand , the model was Kawai 500.
That price is not realistic I do not , even in a restored piano.
( the price mentioned below )

https://reverb.com/item/1508227-kawai-grand-piano-model-500

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/08/20 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I think it is good for PW for people to mention thier brand of piano, and to say "now you belong to the XXX club" As far as I know there are no "real clubs" around except for the
Bechstein Club.
So what I say is carry on writing about your brand of piano whatever it is. There is a great deal we can feel guilty about ,
but having a nice piano is not one of them.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/09/20 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Stu's back with another Yamaha/Kawai comparison, this time it's the C2X and the GX2. I think he did a very nice job highlighting the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between these two fine pianos, especially where they differ in tone.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 09/26/20 08:31 PM.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
I enjoyed That - Thanks!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Can I just be the guy who gets to pass around the popcorn this time?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Stu's back with another Yamaha/Kawai comparison, this time it's the C2X and the GX2. I think he did a very nice job highlighting the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between these two fine pianos, especially where they differ in tone.
Given his bias, I did notice he spends more time talking about the Kawai, yet more time playing the Yamaha. The Yamaha has more clarity and articulation in this demonstration. Certainly both are beautiful pianos.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Once we actually shop, compare, debate, decide, and purchase we all like affirmation of our choice. Over and over and over. So the debate never ends.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Once we actually shop, compare, debate, decide, and purchase we all like affirmation of our choice. Over and over and over. So the debate never ends.

This, yes.
Over and over again on this forum, in particular!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by j&j

This, yes.

Interestingly, there are many brands/models owned by forum members, but only a few of these are discussed/mentioned repeatedly.

Originally Posted by j&j
This, yes. Over and over again on this forum, in particular!
Which is why reviews from owners should IMO be taken with a grain of salt, especially when they appear many times from the same owner.

Same for reviews by dealers, with just a few exceptions. Ever read a single post on PW by a dealer saying anything truly negative about a piano in their inventory?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by j&j
This, yes. Over and over again on this forum, in particular!
Which is why reviews from owners should IMO be taken with a grain of salt, especially when they appear many times from the same owner.

Same for reviews by dealers, with just a few exceptions. Ever read a single post on PW by a dealer saying anything truly negative about a piano in their inventory?

I never trust reviews from users who just purchased an instrument or any product at all. As a matter of fact, I prefer not to read positive reviews smile I prefer reading the negative reviews. I will agree that this is an arguable strategy but I believe people are more detailed in their descriptions and more realistic when complaining about something, rather when justifying reviewing their brand new purchase wink

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/27/20 11:19 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j

This, yes.

Interestingly, there are many brands/models owned by forum members, but only a few of these are discussed/mentioned repeatedly.
Sometimes., There is a real reason for that .If that owner owns a brand that has been through a very difficult time .Only last night did I read some posts some of the threads about some of
the difficulties Sauter went in about 2015 to 2018 .This was the
time I had set my mind on buying one of those pianos. The material that appeared on PW destroyed, I beleive the reputation of that piano brand in North America. Those threads even in thier "greatly edited" versions are disturbing.
I was afraid at the time to write in to PW and say "hey I am buying a Sauter" The problems all revolved around a distributor, and dealers losing thier authorized dealership of this piano. It is a story of pain and bitterness that I beleive carries on today here.
These were totally NOT QUALITY OR MUSICAL reasons for a historic manufacturer to just be forgotten about .Sauter had been an extremly popular brand on PW until then.

Terminaldegree may have very rational reasons for feeling as he does .Some people here may have other personal reasons for trying to control members to not speak about the enjoyment
they experience with thier pianos.
Is there not enough CONTROL going on already with trying to get through this Covid 19 and the other serious aspects of life?
What do you want to do, just stop members from writing about thier pianos ? Would you like us to just carry on promoting the popular pianos ? Or would you like us to to just scratch the backs of the important dealers here ?

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j

That may be true, but sometimes people can be objective and fair when referring to pianos they don't own. Sometimes there is a certain paranoia that people don't like the pianos that they don't own. For me it's always about the music. I dug up an old review I made of your very own Estonia 190 twelve years ago. I'd like to think that this was a fair and unbiased opinion of Estonias at that time. In fact, the only criticism I had of the Estonia models at that time was the action which to my understanding has been improved since I wrote that personal review. The debates here at PW are sometimes "weird". I had to put the names of the digital and acoustic pianos that I own in my signature because some people in certain posts that I partook in thought I was biased against digitals. To some degree, I have always said they are not the equivalent of an acoustic but I have always thought they served a very important purpose in learning and generating music. I've owned nearly a dozen digital keyboards in the past 30 years. I just felt strongly that children whose brains are capable of picking the nuances of an acoustic early are better served learning on acoustic pianos rather than on digitals and if they had the choice of one go for the acoustic. Better than that get both for them if you can afford it. Somehow that came out as Jethro is saying children's techniques will be ruined by learning on a digital. So I put the names the acoustic AND digital piano that I own so no one gets hurt but they just happened to both be Kawais.

Anyways that's in the past. Reading this thread from 12 years ago makes me laugh because Bear 1 recommending that I look at auditioning a Shigeru in that thread and I did not until 12 years later and I love it.

Review of Estonia Pianos 2008 by Jethro

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by j&j

This, yes.

Quite right too in the context of a thread specifically about comparing Yamahas and Kawais :-)

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission