2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Charles Cohen, CraiginNZ, curates_egg, 13bwl, Calavera, C. L., dima5222, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 469 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Hello Friends,

Here is my 2nd week report. I’m on Lesson 14.

I didn’t get to practice my usual 2 hours a day (broken up). And of course things are slowing down after that initial burst. Since he is now introducing all the extras, working on them is new and takes practice.

I am having tremendous trouble with the triplet run fills. I’ve never done those and not being able to see up the keyboard has me missing a lot of notes, so that’s something I will be working on a lot. Right hand octaves are not difficult as I did those before.

I feel like a cheater because I did play some before and those skills are coming back.

The other thing is, applying the extras requires me to memorize the song. I can’t read it and do the extras. I need to memorize it and look at the keyboard. So that takes time.

I actually had the most fun with a song called, “I don’t know why I love you”, trying all the different bass patterns. This is the one with the triplet fills I can’t do yet. What was fun, was working with different left hand inversions I could make the song more interesting and get some melodic movement in the bass. (D minor higher, move down to the A7, then down again to the next D minor instead of back up)

I like how this course emphasizes chord theory and reading. Last night I tried playing part of the Beethoven Pathetique sonata that I could play 25 years ago but it fell away when I quit playing. I can’t read it now because of compromised sight but playing the parts that came back to me I instantly thought — oh, that’s an A flat chord, and this is E flat. It never occurred to me before because I was just playing what was written. I didn’t have the mindset. If nothing else this course has helped me already.

Sorry I’m so long winded.

Take care everybody.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
M
Originally Posted by WBLynch

Take care everybody.

Hey, sharing is caring... so: go on! :-)

I see you're working/practicing hard. I wish you lots of success, and fun!

All the best to you, too, Bill.

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
P
P
Thanks so much for that report!
hopefully my printed materials will come this week and I can report something too.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Take care everybody.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing. That's what this thread is for. It can be helpful for you and for someone else who is on the Duane Shinn journey (or considering it).

God Bless,
David

P.S. You are approaching lesson 17 and (IMO), it is a historic lesson. The song (Sweet Rosie O'Grady) will be covered and it will introduce new and difficult techniques not covered in the course previously. It's a milestone lesson.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by David B
P.S. You are approaching lesson 17 and (IMO), it is a historic lesson. The song (Sweet Rosie O'Grady) will be covered and it will introduce new and difficult techniques not covered in the course previously. It's a milestone lesson.

Thanks for the warning David ! smile

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
So I literally practiced that D-F-A triplet run for an hour yesterday. (My wife is deaf and only hears with a cochlear implant. So I do it early in the morning before she puts on her device and save her from the annoyance).

Anyway I discovered a couple of things that helped me. First, rather than focus on the first note I focus on the second. Hitting the D isn’t too bad but I always flub the F and the A. Focusing on the F made it much easier to play the triad.

Second, whenever I see a player make those runs it looks like their hand is gliding up the keyboard and nailing the notes along the way. For me that’s impossible and, at this point, I realize I have to raise my hand; like hopping from triad to triad, landing along the way. Maybe when I develop some skill it will look or feel like gliding but for now it seems I have to be more deliberate.

Still working on Lesson 14.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
One other thing I would like to add that might be helpful to those at a more beginner level Is when learning songs and timing and left hand with right hand — it’s an awful lot. I find that switching up your approach helps.

For example they had “Little Brown Jug” and “Polly Wolly Doodle” in book 1. I’m sure everyone knows those tunes. Well the music might say to play legato (smooth) with pedal. But if I play staccato (abrupt) on purpose it helps with the timing and fingering. You kind of get that bounce. You feel it more in your fingers and I find the variation helps nail the coordination between hands.

This isn’t to say you would play it that way, it’s a practice method just to help learn.

I don’t know if I’m describing it well but my point is to switch things around to help learn. Try it one way, then try something else.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
So I literally practiced that D-F-A triplet run for an hour yesterday. (My wife is deaf and only hears with a cochlear implant. So I do it early in the morning before she puts on her device and save her from the annoyance).

It would really bother me when my wife complained that I kept playing the same thing over and over. I would try to explain to her that there is no other way to learn. Then I bought a good pair of headphones and now I try to only play around her after I learned what I was practicing. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
That’s a great advantage of electronic pianos. I only have an acoustic piano for now.

P
P
I know exactly what you are describing! I do it all of the time. Leaving my hands on the keyboard (for some reason) is less "intent-ful" than pulling them up and playing staccato/bouncy and my brain sees them differently. I noticed that.

It does work. I also find that the pedal smears a lot of my mistakes and makes them "ok" when they really aren't correct. Playing staccato without it allows me to see the timing errors more easily.

P
P
That's the bummer of practice with others in the same house...they see the prep and "how the trick is done" and not just the pulling of the rabbit out of the hat...lol.

I try and do all of that early in the morning so that my sister (who lives with us) and my wife aren't subjected to it!

D
D
Originally Posted by David B
It would really bother me when my wife complained that I kept playing the same thing over and over. I would try to explain to her that there is no other way to learn. Then I bought a good pair of headphones and now I try to only play around her after I learned what I was practicing. smile
David

This is the main reason I bought the Casio Privia. I can plug in the head phones, and practice away without bothering my wife and her 21 and 19 year old boys in the house. The 21 year old has a girlfriend who took piano lessons for 10 years growing up, but I've never heard her play. She won't do it. Says she would be too rusty.

About a month ago, my 89 year old aunt died. She was a fantastic piano player and she had a baby grand and an upright piano. My mother has told me I can have them if I can find a place for them smile Thats gonna be the hard part.

Last edited by Dmoss3; 09/11/20 10:21 PM.
D
D
I have started the infamous lesson 17 today. Lots of teaching on runs and fillers for the right hand, which I have been extremely weak on to this point. I plan on being on this song/lesson for maybe several weeks.

Last edited by Dmoss3; 09/12/20 10:06 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dmoss3
I have started the infamous lesson 17 today. Lots of teaching on runs and fillers for the right hand, which I have been extremely weak on to this point. I plan on being on this song/lesson for maybe several weeks.

That's good idea. Take your time. When Duane first started teaching the runs in this song, I had to reduce them to three note runs because I couldn't do the four note ones. I also made them three octave instead of four octave runs.

The good news is that you'll have plenty of opportunities to practice those in future lessons. By the end of the course you will be very comfortable with them (and all of the techniques taught).

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Hello Everybody

Here is my weekly report. I finished up lesson 16 and I’m right behind David Moss, ready to begin lesson 17.

When David Belo mentioned lesson 17 I had to peek ahead and watch it and it certainly is a cavalcade of adventure. I intend to spend a lot of time on this one and work through all the techniques and suggestions. I think I might take my first shot of recording my progress. No guarantees if I will post it though 😆

A couple of comments on the course so far. First, I think it really is good for true first time beginners. Returners like me might be fooled into thinking the first parts can be skimmed over. I would advise not to. Pay attention to what Duane is teaching. He’s building the foundation of understanding harmony and theory. This is what I didn’t get my first time around. My teachers would just say, “play this”, and when you could to her satisfaction it was move on to the next one.

Second, as David B said way back, the songs in the series are not really enjoyable. They are learning numbers for a purpose. My problem is, to apply Duanes embellishments I have to memorize the song. And then it is a lot of work to arrange them because I am just learning. It’s frustrating to invest a lot of time into a song you will never play again. As I move forward I think I will choose something from another book that I enjoy and apply the arrangements to that. Then I can memorize a piece and put it into my repertoire - and have something to play for others. Of course this will add time to each lesson.

Lastly for now, one complaint I have is Duane will just say, “play this”, without really teaching HOW to play it. But, in this age of YouTube I have found many videos where they do go into detail of how to do it. For example playing open voice arpeggios.

When I first started learning there wasn’t even an internet, much less 3 billion YouTube videos on any given subject. Modern tech has drastically changed the learning process.

Thanks and take care

M
M
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, Dmoss3 (David) and WBLynch (Bill)!

I'm taking Hugh Sung's Popular Piano course at ArtistWorks now (which I like a lot), but I'm still considering starting with Duane Shinn's Crash Course, possibly in a few months. It's of course more in-depth than Hugh's course (which I won't leave). So any information, any report is much appreciated.

I wish you lots of fun, and, where needed, perseverance! Stay safe.

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
P
P
Yes thanks for the reports everyone. It's helpful.

I'm way back in the beginning but I like reading about what's coming.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
... About a month ago, my 89 year old aunt died. She was a fantastic piano player and she had a baby grand and an upright piano. My mother has told me I can have them if I can find a place for them smile Thats gonna be the hard part.

Hi David, I’m sorry I wasn’t paying attention the first time I read your post. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your aunt.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
When David Belo mentioned lesson 17 I had to peek ahead and watch it and it certainly is a cavalcade of adventure... I think I might take my first shot of recording my progress. No guarantees if I will post it though 😆

Go for it. I know it's hard not to be self-conscience. I cringe when I go back and look at some of earlier videos I posted in this thread where my arms and wrists were very stiff and I'm banging on the keys. Seeing yourself will help you to recognize areas you need to improve that I think otherwise you might not become aware of. That was my experience. Don't be afraid, post it up. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
D
D
... About a month ago, my 89 year old aunt died. She was a fantastic piano player and she had a baby grand and an upright piano. My mother has told me I can have them if I can find a place for them smile Thats gonna be the hard part.

Hi David, I’m sorry I wasn’t paying attention the first time I read your post. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your aunt.

Thanks Bill. How are things going with lesson 17? I haven't been able to practice as much lately with a major home project going on as well as trying to buy my aunt's house. Will be back at it soon though.

Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,760
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission