2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
38 members (clothearednincompo, 1957, Chouca, Deltajockey, EVC2017, Burkey, dannylux, Frédéric L, 9 invisible), 397 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pivot length Validation thread. (Let's do this)
jeffcat #3021542 09/05/20 11:35 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
The Casio image was a PX-800 and I took it.

jeffcat #3021556 09/05/20 12:06 PM
J
jeffcat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I gotchu' clotheardnincompo. Pivot obsession is strong.

#4,

Make: Casio
Model: PX-800
Action: SHA 1
Pivot length: 7.1 inches :: 18 cm

Username Credit: clothearednincompo
Link: clothearednincompo PX-800

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/05/20 12:08 PM.
jeffcat #3021598 09/05/20 02:23 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jeffcat
The Pivot for the bottom stick is longer, the hypotenuse is longer than sides a and b.

Can't argue against basic trigonometry. 😀

In Fatar's case the "hypotenuse" pivot is about 2% longer than the "two dimensional" bird's eye view pivot length. The angle between them is about 11 degrees.

I don't have the exact Fatar dimensions, but in centimeters it could be e.g. 20.5 vs. 20.9, so not that much.

There are two ways to project the point of the fallboard onto the hypotenuse, but their difference is insignificant. The invisible part of the white key in relation to the pivot length is about 27% for the bird's eye view pivot and about 30% for the hypotenuse.

Then calculating the required force to produce the same torque at the fallboard as at the tip of the key gives about 3.7 x force needed for the bird's eye view pivot and about 3.5 x force needed for the hypotenuse pivot. With a force of 50 g needed at the tip it's either 185g or 175g at the fallboard, so the offset pivot is a minor improvement.

Give or take...ballpark numbers and so on...unless the math is wrong. 🤓

jeffcat #3021612 09/05/20 03:02 PM
C
C
P515???

Sanchez
jeffcat #3021621 09/05/20 03:36 PM
J
jeffcat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Here's a garden variety budget upright for comparison. Somewhat explains why even basic upright acoustic actions feel better than many expensive DPs.

Make: Kawai
Model: 606 Series (QACM) Year 2003
Action: Ultra-Responsive Direct Blow
Pivot length: 8-15/16th inches :: 22.7 cm

Username Credit: jeffcat
Link: jeffcat 606qacm

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jeffcat; 09/05/20 03:40 PM.
Gombessa #3021706 09/05/20 07:34 PM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I'm against having too much sticky-thread proliferation

This forum could do with a Wiki :-) A simple option though might be to have one sticky thread, where the first post contains links to all of the other important threads.

I'd be interested in seeing all of those little comments people have made about each action collected together. It's pretty hard to search for general opinions on e.g. GF vs GFIII.

(we could also do with an upgrade to https :-)

jeffcat #3021740 09/05/20 09:05 PM
Do you even have any kind of abilities on the piano that would warrant an action with certain specifications? I'm finding more and more that its the mediocre players who obsess about this kind of stuff.

Instead of actually, you know, playing music - they're on here making constant posts about pivot points.

jeffcat #3021817 09/06/20 02:42 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Ignore this topic if not interested.

clothearednincompo #3021823 09/06/20 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Ignore this topic if not interested.

You could have ignored my comment as well, but you didn't.

jeffcat #3021827 09/06/20 03:20 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
You could have ignored this topic and played piano instead. 🙂

clothearednincompo #3021833 09/06/20 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
You could have ignored this topic and played piano instead. 🙂

And you could have taken your own advice and ignored my comment, but again, you didn't. Also, you're comparing apples and oranges here - this isn't something I constantly think about or obsess over. I've passively visited this forum over the years, and I can't help but make some observations. Typing out a few sentences to convey this, 3 short posts out of probably a decade, is a little different than creating threads, typing dozens of posts, measuring pivots, analyzing photos, etc. But sure, now that I've made that post, I certainly will go back to playing piano. Ciao

(Remember to ignore this comment btw, get back to those pivots)

Last edited by EnoughBS; 09/06/20 03:40 AM.
EnoughBS #3021834 09/06/20 03:40 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by EnoughBS
I'm finding more and more that its the mediocre players who obsess about this kind of stuff.

Instead of actually, you know, playing music - they're on here making constant posts about pivot points.

Beginners are much more likely to be considering instruments in the lower-middle price range, where these things may matter more. High price range instruments are likely to have a fine action, so you don't need to worry about it. I doubt that many experienced players, when they have the choice, would not prefer a nicer action if they don't already have one.

Pivot points are of course not the only thing that matters but I applaud initiatives by users to measure and inspect their instruments and try to find out what characteristics correlate with better playing experience. It also keeps the manufacturers sharp, and emancipates us from advertising nonsense. Perhaps pivot point is unimportant, perhaps not, but how are we going to find out if we don't start with collecting the numbers?

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3
jeffcat #3021844 09/06/20 05:33 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Someone could start a "Does pivot length matter?" topic if they have opinions or facts for or against the pivot length mattering.

jeffcat #3021862 09/06/20 06:45 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Your physical pivot points are far more important than those on the pianos. As adults we don't have the flexibility we had when we were seven or eight, or even in our teens. Address those, in the lower back, the upper back, the shoulders, neck, arms, elbows and wrists and then you will not worry about the piano pivot points.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
jeffcat #3021870 09/06/20 07:21 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I think you forgot to mention the most prominent pivot point, Colin!

Colin Miles #3021871 09/06/20 07:26 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Your physical pivot points are far more important than those on the pianos. As adults we don't have the flexibility we had when we were seven or eight, or even in our teens. Address those, in the lower back, the upper back, the shoulders, neck, arms, elbows and wrists and then you will not worry about the piano pivot points.

This is such a good point. I've only been playing the piano for a few years, but early on I was experiencing tremendous lower back pain/spasms and I didn't know why until I captured video of myself playing. I realized my posture was terrible. I was collapsing my lower back while at the bench. It took some time to rehab my back, but now it's healthy again. I constantly remind myself to not collapse my lower back when playing.

There are a few other areas I had to correct with my posture/pivots to ensure I keep myself healthy. I'm pushing 50 and it's no fun having to deal with aches and pains exacerbated by a hobby that puts stress on parts of my body that are not used to being worked this way.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
Colin Miles #3021917 09/06/20 10:22 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K

As I understand it the LX-706 that you have Colin has the longest pivot length of all digital pianos except perhaps for the NV10. I think that is looking after your finger joints the best way possible by minimising the work of your fingers.

I don't understand the attempt to derail this thread. There are multiple discussions about key fall weight and people measuring it on this forum. I think this is mostly useless unless you are also measuring the mass of the key itself. I think inertia is what dominates how an actions feels and that the fall weight is secondary. So I just stay out of those discussions and do not attempt to derail those who wish to measure fall weight.

I think pivot length is an important element of an action and how it feels and I think getting measurements is sensible.

KevinM #3021924 09/06/20 10:35 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by KevinM

As I understand it the LX-706 that you have Colin has the longest pivot length of all digital pianos except perhaps for the NV10. I think that is looking after your finger joints the best way possible by minimising the work of your fingers.

I don't understand the attempt to derail this thread. There are multiple discussions about key fall weight and people measuring it on this forum. I think this is mostly useless unless you are also measuring the mass of the key itself. I think inertia is what dominates how an actions feels and that the fall weight is secondary. So I just stay out of those discussions and do not attempt to derail those who wish to measure fall weight.

I think pivot length is an important element of an action and how it feels and I think getting measurements is sensible.
Irrespective of the length of my current piano pivots, and I have played many pianos in my lifetime, from small digitals and the largest acoustics, I stand by my comments. Not trying to derail but merely attempting to bring it to issues that are rather more fundamental to the way that you play the piano.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
Colin Miles #3021931 09/06/20 10:58 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by KevinM

Irrespective of the length of my current piano pivots, and I have played many pianos in my lifetime, from small digitals and the largest acoustics, I stand by my comments. Not trying to derail but merely attempting to bring it to issues that are rather more fundamental to the way that you play the piano.

Well then the way to do that is start your own thread rather than derailing this thread.

jeffcat #3021937 09/06/20 11:23 AM
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
There have been several mod reports about people trolling or derailing this thread. A few comments:
  1. Years of experience has proven there's simply no way to control where a thread goes, who posts and how "relevant" posts are.
  2. Trying to accomplish (1) results in frustration all around, not to mention numerous mod reports.
  3. Moderators going in and editing all of the posts that participants feel are trollish is time consuming and ultimately a complete waste of time.

So someone wading into the middle of your discussion isn't necessarily grounds for a mod report.

Having said that, deliberately posting or derailing a topic is rude. Doing it repeatedly is ruder still and is likely to get you a "vacation" because the moderators are tired of getting reports about you.

So if you don't have anything germane to contribute to a thread, read it (or not) and move on.

And with that, I'll apologize for derailing this thread. Carry on discussing pivot lengths.

Greg
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission