2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
With my new teacher I'm doing 6 lessons a month. Every Tuesday is dedicated to piano work and maybe a little theory if a questions comes up. My other two lessons are every other Friday which is 100% dedicated to theory. I'm reading the assigned theory chapters from my teacher and doing the works sheets. I find I learn it well with the books and some additional research. However, going over it with a dedicated lesson seems to help reinforce it and make sure I understood it or to ask questions, etc.

My question, in your opinion is that a good use 2 lessons each month?

It seems like it is because learning theory is important and my last teacher didn't teach me any. I have a basic theory foundation from my own learning. The reason I ask is because I'm a tiny bit torn as lessons are costly and I find I can learn a lot of it on my own time away from lessons. Just looking for some opinions and thoughts.

Thanks in advanced!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I do know a friend who recently completed her ARCT (Toronto) performance diploma and who studied both piano and theory with the teacher we both enjoy. Because she was preparing for a performance diploma, her piano and theory lessons were each once a week.

I think it is up to you and your teacher to decide how much theory and how frequent the lessons would seem appropriate for you, for what you feel you hope to accomplish and for what your personal budget can handle.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Sebs
My question, in your opinion is that a good use 2 lessons each month?
How about order of lessons: 1 theory lesson and 2 practice lessons?
Unlike classical pianists, who are obliged to play the written exactly, without going into the question of why it is written this way; the student of pop piano does not have this privilege: together with the melody and chords, he imperceptibly delves into the area of ​​piano arrangement. And here the pianist should know - why?
For example, “Pop Ballad Pattern” on page 77 already raises a number of questions: where did the bass pattern come from; why it is split in the first half of the bar and not in the second; why the patterns in the right hand start from the thirds or fourths and go down to one note ; but on the contrary practically do not occur? These questions no longer have any connection with the classical piano, but are related to the field of bass guitar, strumming rhythm guitar as well as drums. Here's a pinch of pop piano theory.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Sebs
Why don’t you start out with that plan and see what works? You can always adjust. Sounds good to me on paper.

FWIW As a kid, I started out with just repertoire ( and all that implies for a beginning student) and then at some point, added a second weekly lesson that was theory, ear training and duets. I was studying classical.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
How good are you self learning? I decided in 2020 I needed to buckle down with theory...so I do my own reading, use 10 minutes in class to go over with questions. I am also sitting abrsm online theory exams starting in 2021 once they roll it worldwide. Whilst I don’t want more exams in my life, it’s the only way to keep me focused.

What are your goals? Why are you studying theory? Once you kinda know..the path will reveal itself. Learning without application won’t motivate you. Your teacher should be giving you guidance.

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 09/05/20 08:41 PM.
S
S
IMHO if you’re a good self learner then spending much lesson time on theory is wasting valuable time that you could be spending on practical playing.

Personally I only ever ask my teacher about theory quirks that might come up in the piece I’m studying.

We’re incredibly lucky compared to people that were learning 30 years ago. There’s almost infinite online theory resources free and searchable at your fingertips. No excuse not to take advantage of them really.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For a couple of years I was doing theory with my teacher. We increased the lesson time to
1 1/2 hours from an hour . I think I was lucky as I expected to pay half the lesson time for the extra half hour but he only charged $10 more. My teacher really likes theory and was happy to have a student who wanted to learn it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
P
P
I don't know where you are in your theory studies, but I've watched several of Christopher Brellochs theory lessons on youTube. He is teaching a college class in these lessons, but students don't ask questions. The first lesson is called (Circle of 5ths, Scales) and here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDPWP6HUbk

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai KG-1 5’5” baby grand
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission