Sort of OT thread here.
I've been out of the loop for a long while, and remain busily entrenched in the Photo Industry.
Strange times with COVID to be sure...
Still jamming at home with my FP-90, playing everyday...have a very interested 2 year old and a high functioning autistic 7 year old who is learning some basics using the PIANOTE online lessons.
In terms of Learning software...is there any recommendations anyone in here has for a 7 year old to play more music. In person or Zoom lessons are off the table for now.
Not being funny, but at that age (6-8), bottom up learning is very powerful. They have the capacity to get lost in boredom---when given time and no other option---and just explore the instrument.
If you try to do anything structured, I reckon you've to a window of about 10--20 mins, (15 on a good day) before the child get's distracted. Sure, look into online stuff, but I think bottom up learning (where the child uses his/her own intelligence to study an unknown thing, just because it's the only interesting thing in the room) works best.
Whereas, any structured learning carries with it a small attention span that quickly get's used up. Therefore, I advise 60% leaving your 7 year old mostly to her own on in a room with piano and no decent alternatives, and then for the other 40%, find an app or a teacher to show her stuff. Apps are no substitute for a good teacher (but the teacher benefit increases with age).
Feynman got good at physics by exploring the world with his own intelligence rather than following a protocol to learn skills in a sequenced manner (lacking self motivation). Getting a child to think about what he/she is investigating is a good approach.
Put the 7 year old in a room with nothing but piano (take yourself a book on teaching piano), leave them to their own devices---either the piano or nothing..It's amazing how curiosity and boredom can generate better results than structured teaching at that age. Then a few years from now---when their concentration span has increased a bit---you can transfer the weighting onto more structured lessons. The key is to have nothing else in the room that could distract him/her (where you can't be that distraction either)..
For the two year old, it's almost too later to encourage perfect pitch to develop (I think the window is the first 18 months). However, lots of exposure to really interesting music (jazz, really complex classical) i.e., especially stuff that get's quite complex, that can help develop the child in a love of music from an early age. YouTube Rick Beato and his perfect pitch videos for suggestions.