2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (Alex Hutor, ambrozy, anotherscott, Boboulus, camperbc, 36251, Carey, brennbaer, 17 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 798 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 89 of 99 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 98 99
C
C
Hi Pagirl

I'm glad you are still enjoying Pianote and clearly getting a lot from it to sign up for a lifelong membership . The cost will give you the motivation to make the most out of it

Sounds like a frustrating time for Bill having to go through a load more tests but at least they are trying to identify exactly what the problem is and this can ensure that he will hopefully get the right treatment required .

Re jumping around with the chords. Have you learnt about voicing your chords in diferent positions so you dont have to jump around as much . In the faber book 1 there is a unit on primary chords ( the I IV & V7 ) it worth checking out the videos even if you have not got to this stage in the book as they discuss how to alternate the chords by inverting them so you can play the notes easier without jumping around the keyboard . This may help with keeping to the beats. Without looking I cant remember if this is the unit 14 introduction video or earlier

Re improvisation Yes im still practicing this.
I now feel I have a better understaning of Harmony which means I can improvise better . I still have a long way to go but getting there. Randall in Unit 16 plays a rock and roll move from Chord I to chord IV and my fingers are just not nimble enough to play this fast but with time I know i will get there just like you .
Yes have watched the SPA video and loved it I find that its loverly to play .

I hope you enjoy you piano journey as I am doing, even if it can get a bit frustrating at times . As long as we feel we are making progres thats the main thing .

Take care

Working on Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 2 Unit 3

Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
P
I looked ahead in PA, where they are introducing inversions, and it was a little confusing for me. Inversions are being introduced in Level 4, on Pianote, which I just reached, so hopefully I will be able to grasp it better soon. The big advantage there is that if it gets too far over my head, I can ask questions ☺️ I’m looking forward to it, particularly if I can cut down on those jumps! Am reading through my PA workbook right now. Thank you for the heads up on this!!! Take care, and let me know how things are going for you.

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
C
C
Hope you all are doing well!

I recorded a few tracks to a flash drive and lost it.

So, I went back thru a few of the 3b Lesson and Tech books to make recordings over the weekend and wanted to upload them before I lost the flash drive again. LOL

I don’t expect to ever advance to playing Fiesta Espana any faster (or cleaner) than the link below. More 3b uploads at Soundcloud if anyone is interested.

https://soundcloud.com/chili-time/fiesta-espana-faber-3b-lessson

Getting so close on Maple Leaf Rag but not quite there yet. Rags take me so long to learn to play decently.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 09/01/20 06:06 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Chili Time
Great job with Fiesta Espana. I’ll make a bet with you: let it go for a year and come back to it. I’ll bet you can play it faster next round 😊 don’t sweat it now... sounds great

A tip for you which amazingly seemed to help me
Instead of ‘I can’t play it xxx’
Force yourself to substitute ‘I can’t play it xxx YET’
The xxx can be any piano struggle, not just speed

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
More 3b uploads at Soundcloud if anyone is interested.

https://soundcloud.com/chili-time/fiesta-espana-faber-3b-lessson

VERY NICE! Thank you for sharing! I enjoy listening to your recordings, which always give me something to look forward to!

I'm stuck with the dance song from the Nutcracker in 3A Christmas book, but it's fun to play, it's coming together slowly though.

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
2. (taking a break) The Ants Came Marching, Page 26, Faber FunTime Ragtime&Marches
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
C
C
@dogperson - Good advice! I'll check back when I finish 3b (at my current pace that may take a year)

@Wish Thank you! When I get a bit frustrated I go back and listen to something from a previous book and it helps me remember I am getting better!

The journey continues... slowly... but it continues! smile

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
P
P
Chili_Time, that is Beautiful! And each note so clear and distinct! You should be ready for some of our Piano World recitals!!! Not sure how those work, but you would be a wonderful addition!!!

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
V
V
Fiesta Espana is hard AF. I struggle bussed my way through that song for a month+ and never got it much faster than you played it. And you play it much cleaner/better than I did.

Faber Piano Adventures AIO Book 2
Roland FP-30
C
C
Originally Posted by CognitaP
Hi

Im am very excited I have now completed Adult Piano Adventure Book 1 and now moving on to Book 2 yippieyippiethumbthumb

Somehow, I missed this. Congratulations to you. It feels so good to finish a book. While I enjoy the journey, it is still such a good feeling to hit a big milestone!

Thank you @vintagevt! I enjoy playing Fiesta, so I’ve played it for weeks and played more reps than most songs get.

[Linked Image]
C
C
Hi Chilli_time

THank you for your congratulations.

Well done with Fiesta Espana I also listened to your other 3b recordings . i particuarly like Bel Canto . You have the dynamics just right moving from soft to slightly louder and back again creating emotion in the piece which makes it a pleasure to just close you eyes and listen to.

dogperson your tip about Cannot do it YET. I wholeheartedly agree. This is a much more positive way of looking at it. It stops the brain from shutting down completely thinking it cannt do something and alows room for you to develop it over time whatever it is .

P
P
Hi everyone, first-time poster here!

I'm currently finishing a BMus, and my main instrument is the violin (Grade 8 level). I started group piano lessons through part of a performance module in my second year of university. Most of my music class played piano as their main instrument already so it was a shot at an easy grade. I was pretty excited to actually learn how to play as I could only manage few scales at the time. We used Alfred's Group Piano book which has an abundance of chord progressions, transposition and improvisation exercises. Not a great thing to jump right into when I could barely play hands together. frown

Anyway, even though I found chords and the coordination difficult at the time, I knew I wanted to learn how to play. So after that year was over, I picked up one of John Thompson's red books and began to practice the pieces from it on pianos in university. Definitely helped with the hand co-ordination, nice pieces though dated but the difficulty curve was a bit steep at the time.

So then I found Faber! I also got a digital upright last October, so I could practise at home. I started the Adult Book 1. I've been practicing most days since then, with a few hiatuses here and there to manage university assignments (until Covid hit and ruined everything :/)

I finished Book 1 around June and after a recap of all of it I've started Book 2 about two weeks ago. I'm now working on O Sole Mio! trying to balance dynamics with the pedal usage. I think the only thing I am unsure about learning piano on my own is using the pedal correctly. I am pressing it right on the first beat of the bar like it's instructed.

Obviously I'm in a privileged position in that I already have extensive knowledge of music theory and performance, so I am continuing with self-teaching. Maybe in the future I will consult a teacher if I improve enough to a grade level and I want to do the RIAM exams, or if I need clarification with technique.

I use Hanon and Dozen a Day exercises for warm-ups and speed. Hanon has helped immensely with finger strength. I'm working through Beyer and hope to start Czerny 599 when I finish those. I'm also working on the supplementary Popular and Classic books (which I love) and for this month I'm working on an arrangement of 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' (because I adore Green Day and I'm quite upset their tour was postponed this year!). That's a bit of a challenge with the syncopation but hopefully I'll get it finished before the 30th.

Sorry for the long post! grin Honestly practising piano during the long months of Covid is something that has really helped me so I needed to post about it somehow!

thought this is a fun piece to share (3A Christmas Book): Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (again, left hand is heavier than what I would like...)

Happy Friday and Labor day weekend!

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
2. (taking a break) The Ants Came Marching, Page 26, Faber FunTime Ragtime&Marches
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
Welcome, pianorla! enjoyed your story! I'm a self-learner too... slow though:)

here is one youtube tutorial on PEDALING Basics, hope this helps

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
P
P
Thanks Wish4 Thing!

Progress can be slow and frustrating at times but I feel that my overall ability has improved since I began a regular practice regime and working through Faber. It's also making sure I'm working on a balance of skills along with a method book. I cannot set my expectations too high just because I'm fluent with music. Keeping a practise diary with comments about mistakes and achievements helps me keep track of everything without a teacher.

After watching that video just now I think I'm using the pedal at the right times. My one thing that I feel that a teacher will pull me up on is the heel on the floor. I have my pedal height set correctly but I prefer to have the heel slightly off the ground while playing (I know it's not the right thing to do!). The Downtown Abbey theme from the Popular Book 1 was a bit of a test but I'm able to play it without 'thumping' pedalling

Learning piano on: Yamaha CLP 685
Working on: Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 - Faber
Dozen a Day Book 1 - Burnam
The Virtuoso Pianist Book 1 - Hanon
Vorschule im Klavierspiel Op. 101 - Beyer
Bella's Lullaby - Carter Burwell
C
C
Hi pianofla. Welcome to the forum.

I hope you find it can give you the support you need.

I too am a self learner and have just started on book 2 . I have had lessons in the past but gave them up for a whole bunch of reasons and are now working at my own pace .

One piece of advice I found really useful was from Alysia from Pianot TV . As an adult you are able to interlecully understand more than your hands can play.

I found this piece of advice imensly helpful as this was one of my biggest problems getting my hands Nimble enough to play well and just like any exercise it has taken the past year and lots of practice for me to feel my hands are starting to feel better coordinated especially playing at tempo and with better dynamics.

From your-background of understanding theory but not having much time at the piano I think you may find the same thing. if you do then just give yourself time and it will come .

Here is the full link .

P
P
Thanks CognitalP. I actually have watched Allysia for a long time and it was her videos that made me interested in the Piano Adventures series!

Learning piano on: Yamaha CLP 685
Working on: Adult Piano Adventures Book 2 - Faber
Dozen a Day Book 1 - Burnam
The Virtuoso Pianist Book 1 - Hanon
Vorschule im Klavierspiel Op. 101 - Beyer
Bella's Lullaby - Carter Burwell
C
C
hi Whish4_ thing

Thank you for sharing your latest piece. You have the dymamics of soft and loud really well, as well as slowing and speeding up the piece where its needed. I agree with you about the left hand .

In Piano Adventures book 1 unit 11 there is a hands together interval study . I found this extremly useful in starting to get my hands to play the left hand softer than the right. Randall demonstrates this in the Unit 11 3 - minute technique video

It might be useful to listen to this and see if it helps. i have put a link to this. The demonstration of soft left hand is just over half way through the video

C
C
hi i notice that there is an error in the video link for some reason so here second link hope it works

C
C
Welcome @pianorla. Happy to see another Green Day fan! I learned an easy version of "Wake Me Up When September Ends" a while back that I found on You Tube. Such a nice melody.

[Linked Image]
CognitaP, thank you for always having good material and knowledge to share!

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
Page 89 of 99 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 98 99

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Away for 2 weeks
by Cutec - 10/24/21 05:29 PM
Notation Question (Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement)
by DaveInMichigan - 10/24/21 03:18 PM
The Haunting at ParSem!
by Piano World - 10/24/21 02:27 PM
Historical pianos / Chris Maene
by Ppianissimo - 10/24/21 02:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,723
Posts3,141,758
Members103,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission