2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Ampersand, 36251, anotherscott, c++, briangmoore, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, 16 invisible), 521 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey everyone.

Sort of OT thread here.

I've been out of the loop for a long while, and remain busily entrenched in the Photo Industry.

Strange times with COVID to be sure...

Still jamming at home with my FP-90, playing everyday...have a very interested 2 year old and a high functioning autistic 7 year old who is learning some basics using the PIANOTE online lessons.

In terms of Learning software...is there any recommendations anyone in here has for a 7 year old to play more music. In person or Zoom lessons are off the table for now.

Jay

Last edited by JayGVan; 09/04/20 11:24 AM.

Formerly in the business. Now just a piano fan.
D
D
I know you said videocall lessons are off the table, but that's my recommendation. Lessons with a (good) teacher are worth every penny, unlike "educational" software, unfortunately.

And I say that as a professional software engineer who has tried for himself and for his daughters plenty of "educational" software and in-person teachers (now remote due to the COVID, obviously).

Check also the Frances Clark Center which offers many paper and online information (mostly for teachers), including how to teach kids with special need. You can watch a recording of that seminar yourself, and/or ask them if they can recommend a teacher (if I have convinced you about how important is human interaction, even remote, for musical education).

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I hadn't heard of the Francis Clark Centre before. THAT is awesome information! Thank you!

I had looked for information like that unsuccessfully in the past.

Hoping to get either in person or Zoom lessons going early in the new year, but for right now, I just want to keep playing fun for him.

Jay

D
D
I'm no expert, but I'd like to say Piano Marvel if you have an Ipad(no android version last I checked). I would say it has helped me at least in proprioception because there's a mode there where it doesn't let you proceed if you hit the wrong notes. It has a lot of songs too but I'm not sure what he's interested in. I didn't really depend alot on the apps and focused on reading a lot but at these times I suppose it's better than no lessons at all.

Simply Piano was another cool app I tried and I found it helpful when I was really at zero knowledge. The trial account is limiting but for the very basics maybe it can help. Now I don't use any piano app and found myself watching youtube tutorials instead about music theory and tips from piano teachers and I'm getting alot of insight.

Also, no Synthesia. That is one app that I think no one should touch and especially learn to depend on. (maybe just for a week or so while learning to read sheet music then never again).

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Jay also contact your local university education department. They might be able to get you in contact with a teacher or upper level student who can assist you with your son.

Nice to see hear from you. Hope the digital camera business is keeping you busy.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Time spent at a piano is never wasted. Unless it's used as furniture. So if the child is there following an app or software it's still time invested and time invested well. Synthesia is great! Use it as a practice tool, just like all the other apps. Supplement the learning. An adult can read books and learn music theory and other things on their own. A child will need somebody to present the subject matter in the way they can understand it. So for that, there wont be a replacement for a teacher. Until you can realize that part, it will definitely not hurt to start on software or even youtube videos during lock down. Keep it fun. If it ignites an interest in a child than it's well worth it. You can check out Piano Dreamers, they have reviewed pretty much any kind of software or piano app that is currently on the market and they tell you which ones are geared towards children.

Last edited by Seabass; 09/04/20 12:50 PM.
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
Jay also contact your local university education department. They might be able to get you in contact with a teacher or upper level student who can assist you with your son.

Nice to see hear from you. Hope the digital camera business is keeping you busy.

The digital camera business is surprisingly robust. Lots of domestic tourism, and new birders etc...I don't have many moments these days too create for myself. LOLOLOL

Good to hear from you too!

Jay

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Welcome back, Jay_Roland smile Glad you stopped in.

Hope all is going well and it's exciting to hear what's going on with your kids. I have a 2 and a 7 as well, one facing some developmental delays, so I'm also going to be checking in on resources listed here.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JayGVan
Hey everyone.

Sort of OT thread here.

I've been out of the loop for a long while, and remain busily entrenched in the Photo Industry.

Strange times with COVID to be sure...

Still jamming at home with my FP-90, playing everyday...have a very interested 2 year old and a high functioning autistic 7 year old who is learning some basics using the PIANOTE online lessons.

In terms of Learning software...is there any recommendations anyone in here has for a 7 year old to play more music. In person or Zoom lessons are off the table for now.

Jay

Not being funny, but at that age (6-8), bottom up learning is very powerful. They have the capacity to get lost in boredom---when given time and no other option---and just explore the instrument.
If you try to do anything structured, I reckon you've to a window of about 10--20 mins, (15 on a good day) before the child get's distracted. Sure, look into online stuff, but I think bottom up learning (where the child uses his/her own intelligence to study an unknown thing, just because it's the only interesting thing in the room) works best.

Whereas, any structured learning carries with it a small attention span that quickly get's used up. Therefore, I advise 60% leaving your 7 year old mostly to her own on in a room with piano and no decent alternatives, and then for the other 40%, find an app or a teacher to show her stuff. Apps are no substitute for a good teacher (but the teacher benefit increases with age).

Feynman got good at physics by exploring the world with his own intelligence rather than following a protocol to learn skills in a sequenced manner (lacking self motivation). Getting a child to think about what he/she is investigating is a good approach.

Put the 7 year old in a room with nothing but piano (take yourself a book on teaching piano), leave them to their own devices---either the piano or nothing..It's amazing how curiosity and boredom can generate better results than structured teaching at that age. Then a few years from now---when their concentration span has increased a bit---you can transfer the weighting onto more structured lessons. The key is to have nothing else in the room that could distract him/her (where you can't be that distraction either)..

For the two year old, it's almost too later to encourage perfect pitch to develop (I think the window is the first 18 months). However, lots of exposure to really interesting music (jazz, really complex classical) i.e., especially stuff that get's quite complex, that can help develop the child in a love of music from an early age. YouTube Rick Beato and his perfect pitch videos for suggestions.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,432
Posts3,084,709
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission