2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (Calavera, cygnusdei, Anglagard44, Charles Cohen, dima5222, David B, Animisha, deadlymajesty, 12 invisible), 997 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3017498 08/24/20 07:43 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi: I'm new here and have enjoyed reading many of the posts. I began piano lessons a a year ago and have been enjoying it so far. I am going to be away from my home during the weekdays for a year. I currently use a digital piano, but am going to purchase an acoustic when I return permanently next year. I'd appreciate some opinions on my renting an acoustic piano for a year vs buying a digital piano to use while I'm away from home. My teacher really wants me to get an acoustic piano as she believes it will help further my skills and I agree. So, I guess my question: Is renting an acoustic piano reasonable vs buying a pricier digital with a decent action? I'm in W Palm Beach, FL.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Michael82; 08/24/20 07:44 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Michael 8, I would buy a digital, then you have it and its yours. While pay rent, when you can own your own. In the future you may use it if you go out to play someplace. Once you get back to your permeant place then purchase the acoustic. Look at Sweetwater music store, it has a large inventory and you can find something in your price range. If your traveling I would get a digital with the built in speakers this way you do not need an amp. Just my thoughts, why give you money away, get your own.

deb

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Renting always seems counter productive.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I rented a Yamaha U! silent piano for a year and was glad I did. I was also glad that I did not buy it, as I decided that I wanted a larger, newer piano. Renting can be a good way of dipping your toe into the water without committing to a piano. I don't see a problem with renting a year when you're in a temporary house. The fact that my new piano was going to show up motivated me to buy a house and not rent a house, lol, because I don't want to move it.

DFSRN #3017526 08/24/20 09:08 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Michael 8, I would buy a digital, then you have it and its yours. g I would get a digital with the built in speakers this way you do not need an amp. Just my thoughts, why give you money away, get your own.

deb

Thanks for the feedback, deb. Can you recommend a digital under $1500 USD that has as top priority, a good action? I don't care for s lot of the gadgets many of them have.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I rented a digital piano (a Roland V-Piano) while living abroad and it was worth the expense. Nothing to transport or move when I moved home, and convenience of practicing when away from my home, where I have my acoustic grand.

S
S
I would consider renting for a short term even if it seems that it may cost you more. The problem is that as a beginner you are not in a position to accurately evaluate what you like or do not like about any given acoustic piano. Renting is a great "try before you buy" approach where you can get familiar with an acoustic and understand it warts and all.

I bought my first acoustic outright a year ago as a beginner upgrading from a digital and while it has turned out okay I am now in a much better position now to understand what to look for if I was buying another one. But for me it is too late - I am stuck with what I've got unless I go to a lot of trouble and expense. Renting would have given me an extra option.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
If you look on Sweetwater there is a Yamaha p 515 for 1499. Like you I just want a piano, do not need all the bells and whistles. It has wood keys and built in speakers. I started with a low end keyboard that was about $600. Then I moved up within 7 months to a Yamaha Clavinova, and then a Yamaha YUS5. I knew after a year I was going to keep up with piano, so I got my lifetime piano. I have been taking lessons for 6 years, July started my 7th year.

After the Clavinova, I bought a new Yamaha u1, I really did not like it, sounded tinny (that's what I call it). This dealer let me trade up within so many months and gave me the full price back as long as the piano was in excellent condition. I traded it in 30 days. I wanted a new piano and knew the YUS 5 I would be happy with. I am an intermediate player. It was expensive for a low end player, however people spend a lot more on hobbies over their life and I play it every day and never get tired of it. There is nothing like a nice instrument. This piano will outlive me.

I spent a lot of time researching pianos. You could get a baby grand grand for what I paid for the YUS 5. However, as the owner of the store told me, some baby grands are furniture.

I finished my PhD at 54 and then started taking lessons. I regretted quitting when when I was a child. I have heard so many people say I regret I did not............... I did not want that to be me.

When you decide to get an acoustic, get what you will be happy with for years to come. I am not suggesting you need to get a new piano, it is just what I wanted so I went for it. Sometimes you just do something for yourself, and a piano is truly a gift to you. My piano is now 5 years old and I never regret this purchase. I play it more then i drive my car.

Hope this helps
Deb

Deb
M
OP Offline
M
THanks everyone for the input. Scirocco and DFSRN. After contemplating your recommendations, I decided to rent an acoustic. There is a large shop near my home and they have several pianos available to rent. I was able to play different ones and pick the one I liked. Since I will be renting for only 11 months, the cost was a fraction of what I'd have to pay for even an inferior digital piano. And the dealer allows all of the rental money paid to go toward a new piano should I purchase one there. In another year I'll decide what to get for the long term and in the meantime I'll get some experience with an acoustic.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Michael
I’m so glad you found a piano that works for you😊. It’s always great to hear that good plans work out well. Enjoy!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
What a benefit to have all your rental money go toward a purchase, that was a good way to go. Hope you enjoy it, I think learning piano keeps me mentally sharp.

Deb

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,282
Posts3,149,257
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission