2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (Alex C, Carey, Abdol, antune, astrotoy, anotherscott, BlakeOR, Animisha, 17 invisible), 574 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
#25: "Blue Skies" sounded rather melancholy. The first time I heard the piece was a singing version from the PBS documentary "Crash of '29". Not sure if IB was thinking about the stock market crash a few years later when he wrote the piece but he probably thought the good times wouldn't last forever.
This piece is way before my time around the time when my parents were born.

01. psyche23 - Holiday in Paris Really like the modern feel of the piece like a movie soundtrack. Some places the piece sounded Jazzy. It's short but relaxing to listen to.

02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy X]
Nice playing. An interesting composition starting with soft passages and technical phrases would come in when you least expected.

03. MarieJ - Elegy for the Arctic Nice music & nice playing. Sounded like there may be more to the piece. Does the title have anything to do with global warming and the loss of sea ice in the arctic like the region is dying?

04. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in F minor Very relaxing & wonderful sound. A short piece. Ended unexpectedly like that may be more to the piece.

05. KevinM - Nocturne No. 20 in C Sharp Minor Post. A relaxing piece to listen to at the end of the day. Keep up the good work.

06. Peyton - Chasing Bliss Not familiar with the music. Nice playing. Sounded like a movie soundtrack.

07. selfishplayer - Keyboard Concerto No.1 in D Minor BWV 1052 1st Movement Allegro Piano Solo
Nice effort. I wouldn't be able to do such a long piece in such a short notice. In the beginning there were a few stumbles and some places there were counting issues (longer notes a bit short). The rest of the piece came out very nice.

08. Ted Jones - "The prankquean nips a paly one"[/b Modern sounding. An interesting composition with a fast tempo although my preference is early music.

[b]09. SwissMS/Doris - Intermezzo in A Minor Op. 76 # 7
Nice playing although not my favorite composer or piece.

10. Ruth CM - Moonlight Sonata 1st Mvt. (No. 14 in C Sharp Minor, Op. 27 No. 2) Very relaxing. Nice playing and consistent tempo.

11. jazzyprof - Lift Every Voice and Sing Nice playing. Sounded like some kind of gospel song.

12. Animisha - Morning Glories Nice playing. Very relaxing sound.

13. Serge88 - As Time Goes By An old piece that reminds me of the movie Casablanca. Have the feeling you can stretch certain beats longer to give a more swing feel. Otherwise nice playing. Perfect background for a candlelight dinner.

14. Jason Lenthe - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin Nie Debussy piece to listen to. "Clair de Lune" & "Arabesque #1" tend to be more common pieces on the local Classical radio station I listened to.

15. pianist685 (Constantin) - Minuet in G minor, HWV 434/4 A nice piece in Gm out of a Handel suite in Bb. Wonderful playing. Handel's keyboard pieces tend to be less performed than Bach pieces. Can't wait to hear the whole suite.

16. Lanky Pianist - Sonatina in G Major 1st Movement (Moderato) Nice sound. A relaxing Beethoven piece to listen to. Not sure if some people would play it a bit faster. In the middle there were some spots you slowed down like adding a bit of ritard.

17. Edmond Rhapsody - Korobeiniki An interesting soundtrack like I'm playing the video game Tetris from Russia. Interesting drumbeat added in the background.

18. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - To a Wild Rose (Op. 51, No. 1) A light and enjoyable piece to listen to. Not familiar with the composer or the piece. Nice playing. keep up the good work.

19. rwsavory - Prelude in C Major - WTC 1 Not an ambitious piece like the Bach concerto in Dm BWV 1052 mvt. 1 (#7) performed earlier but nice playing. Kept a steady tempo all the way to the end. The only thing is that the recording didn't seem to pick up the first note C. The opening note sounded soft (like half the volume) compared to the rest of the piece. The ornament added near the end of the piece added a nice effect that you don't normally hear from a student performance.

20. Rich D. - Preludio En La Noche (Prelude In The Night) Nice sound and nice playing. Not familiar with the composer Ernesto Lecuona. The name sounded Spanish.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by psyche23
53. winterflower - escapes/escapades Interesting and varied and I admire anyone who does this.There were occasions where I forgot I was listening to an improvisation.

I find that supremely interesting and very peculiar. Is prior knowledge of its mode of creation important to listening to music ? I submit it is not. Winterflower and I could possibly be playing music we have meticulously composed over a long time and written out; it is only because we have stated it to be improvisation that anyone would know. Indeed, in practice I have invariably found that nobody has the faintest clue whether I am improvising or playing something I have composed or worked out mentally prior to the event.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
08. Ted Jones - "The prankquean nips a paly one" Modern sounding. An interesting composition with a fast tempo although my preference is early music.

We should all pursue the musical direction we like and no other, but thanks for listening.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to all those who commented on Creole Belles - I'm glad so many of you enjoyed it. It's as close as I can get to dancing in these strange times!

psyche23 - yes, I've played Bethena smile I'm glad you could hear the similarities in style between these two pieces - it means I'm getting closer to ragtime all the time!

Thanks again to all you who contributed pieces and all who listen and all who take time to comment on pieces - the quarterly recitals march on!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F
F
Originally Posted by AssociateX
Thank you all for the kind comments on my Chopin Etude. It is a challenging piece. I havent had a chance to listen to everyone's recordings, so can't comment as I've been absolutely swamped at work with little time to relax..but the few I was able to listen to were really great! There was a comment upthread about my LH on the piece, I was told to do that by another teacher since it reduces the chance of hitting wrong notes since my lateral movement from pinky to thumb will be reduced if I am playing closer to the keyboard. The RH is doing more of the melody so its raised higher only due to dynamics (certain notes will be louder than others). The LH just has to provide the even beat so moving my hand side to side is easier when I have my hand flatter on the keys..

I very much enjoyed the 2 Chopin E minor Nocturnes- one was slightly more polished sounding than the other but I wont get into technical details as most of it seems to have been already covered in earlier posts. The harpsichord Scarlatti was a nice touch!! I will post again with specific piece comments time permitting.

Very intresting. First time I heard that (about left hand). It looked new to me but it sound like a recommended technic I havent heard beforem thanks for sharing. And good work once again.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That was a great recital! Thanks to all who shared their music and to Sam who put it together. Many thanks also to all who commented on my playing, including:
Amy H., Qwerty53, Selfishplayer, flygbladet, KevinM, psyche23, jotur, piano primo, Serge88, hawgdriver, peterws, PathBreaker, Shirokuro, MarieJ, thepianoplayer416. I listened to all your pieces and enjoyed them very much.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This thread has fallen back to page four, so I must be very late with my last batch of comments, but first I would like to say thank you to everyone participating for keeping these wonderful recitals going, especially thank you to everyone who commented, and to Sam for maintaining the software machinery behind it all in well-oiled condition.

My third batch of comments:

40. Pathbreaker - op. 39 Waltzes 3 and 5
Very poised and elegant performance. I have never heard these before, and that is clearly my misfortune. Number three is particularly nice.

42. Greta99 - Sonata in E minor, H.XVI No.34 - 3. Vivace molto
Your struggles seem to have been overcome really well; it was an excellent performance! If this is a work in progress, you must have rather high standards for yourself. Kudos.

43. lvojnovic - Sonata in D major, 2. movement
Very dramatic, and full of feeling. I never realized Haydn could sound like that. Well done!

44. Purrblast - Sostenuto (KK IVb No. 10)
What a lovely piece, and a lovely performance. I don't think I ever heard that work before.

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Nocturne in C sharp minor, Op. 27/1
Riveting performance! You seem to have practically merged with the piece. Wonderful.

46. dumka1 - Arabesque 1
It was a beautifully flowing rendition that certainly did justice to the Arabesque. I think your piano's sound fits this work particularly well.

47. Brian Moore - Minuet, French Suite 6
Bach being not exactly my cup of tea, it impresses me when someone can make his music sound interesting and alive. You did that, and clearly you are very close to having it nailed entirely. Best wishes for your piano-assisted landing-on-your-feet after all the turmoil and sorrow!

48. Tubbie0075 - Sonata in B minor Kp. 377
You did this in two weeks! That's bloody good, even if you worked on it 30 years ago. Very polished (and very fast).

50. Ralphiano - Musette in D Major
Quirky little piece, with some nimble finger work in the right hand. Well done!

51. Tyrone Slothrop - La Caroline, Wq. 117/39, H. 98
What a difference a generation makes: with CPE there is dynamics unthinkable for his father. And you had the dynamics well under control. Very nice! (The recording was a bit on the noisy side.)

52. Qwerty53 - Sentimental Waltz, no. 6 from Valses Poeticos
I never realized Granados wrote piano music, until now. Thank you for alerting me to this. It's a peculiar piece, neither really sad, nor melancholic, and yet something like that - and it's easy to imagine this choreographed into a ballet. Very nice performance; do live long enough to master the whole set! smile

54. BingoDingo - Prelude No. 22 in G Minor, Op. 87
For six weeks of piano experience, this is of course insanely good. But Shostakovich is really far outside my personal realm of confidence, so I can't really evaluate your performance, other than to say you had a lot of dynamics in it, and the piece felt very vibrant.

55. Sam S - Sonata K1
Normally I don't care for the sound of harpsichords, but I have to admit this was both fun and pleasant to hear. Excellent playing, of course!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Bl├╝thner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,152
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission