2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (brdwyguy, anotherscott, accordeur, 36251, antune, A. Lucato, adamcz, 15 invisible), 1,000 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
O
Thank you for the screenshot with the comparisons!

I'm new to the vst world, so it's really helpful to see other's setups to help me get closer to the sound I'm looking for. I didn't see a 'eq' button in the UVI workstation for ravenscroft / modern U, so have been attempting to muck about with the mic combos & levels to 'de-nasalize' the upper 3-ish octaves. It's helpful to have my acoustic grand upstairs to help dial-in the velocity / gain curves, but would be much easier if the ravenscroft used the same velocity / gain sliders as modern u to help unify the process!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Shocking. In David's comparison, even though one can make a convincing case that the Modern U has the best timbre, I could actually see David eking out more expression from the U4.

Here the U4 not only sounds terrible, it sounds completely flat and lifeless. Were you playing U4 live or are you playing a pre-recorded MIDI file against it?

Pianoteq needs a "Modartt James" to actively jump in and troubleshoot these issues. laugh

I'm going to give it a week or two before I reach a conclusion, but I'm finding I prefer to practice with Pianoteq/Bechstein instead of my native piano sounds. I'm only waiting because I'm trying to eliminate the factors. The resonances are much more satisfying and I find that the results that I can eke out of Pianoteq improve my musicality.

C
C
Originally Posted by OzarkCDN
Thank you for the screenshot with the comparisons!

I'm new to the vst world, so it's really helpful to see other's setups to help me get closer to the sound I'm looking for. I didn't see a 'eq' button in the UVI workstation for ravenscroft / modern U, so have been attempting to muck about with the mic combos & levels to 'de-nasalize' the upper 3-ish octaves. It's helpful to have my acoustic grand upstairs to help dial-in the velocity / gain curves, but would be much easier if the ravenscroft used the same velocity / gain sliders as modern u to help unify the process!

The VI Labs Modern U has EQ controls - click on the + button just to the left above the Stereo Width dial at the bottom left of the GUI. This opens a 3 band EQ panel in the centre above the keyboard graphic smile

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
The VI Labs Modern U has EQ controls - click on the + button just to the left above the Stereo Width dial at the bottom left of the GUI. This opens a 3 band EQ panel in the centre above the keyboard graphic smile

It does, but it does seem to have a bug.

Whenever i load a saved preset, the eq doesn't seem to activate untill i switch it off an on again.

O
O
Originally Posted by Craig Richards

Sweet tip! Thank you

Originally Posted by VladK
You would need to provide your iLok id to VI Labs during the purchase, it will be also stored in your VI account if you bought directly from them. VI Labs will store your purchased license in iLok database mapped to your iLok ID.
You also have to install iLok License Manager (software), and login there with the same iLok ID. License Manager will show all your available licenses, and let you activate any of those - it will link the license to either iLok dongle (USB key), or to your computer, whatever you choose. I prefer dongle.

Hello Vlad,
So I took advantage of the sale and purchased Ravenscroft, but have not downloaded it yet because I have not done anything to set up an ILOK account. Before proceeding, I have a couple of questions.

1. Can the Ravenscroft software be downloaded to an external SSD while downloading the player to my laptop?

2. If the ILok license is linked to my laptop (since I have not purchased a PACE usb) is there a process to transfer the license to a new laptop in the future?

3. Will the download instructions point me in the right direction with respect to setting up an Ilok account?

Sorry for the basic questions, but thanks in advance.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I never used computer authorization.
These will probably answer most of your questions:

iLok FAQ

VI Labs FAQ

What looks strange for me is how you purchased Ravenscroft without providing your iLok ID.
I believe VI Labs asked for my iLok ID during the purchase. I may be wrong though.

However:
1. Yes, UVI Workstation can be on laptop, and the library - on external drive. VI Labs allows up to 3 simultaneous activations. So you can install UVI Worksation on laptop and desktop, and use external SSD for library files to save space.
2. That I don't know, ask VI Labs support.
3. Yes.

Last edited by VladK; 09/01/20 08:59 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Originally Posted by VladK
I never used computer authorization.
These will probably answer most of your questions:

iLok FAQ

VI Labs FAQ

What looks strange for me is how you purchased Ravenscroft without providing your iLok ID.
I believe VI Labs asked for my iLok ID during the purchase. I may be wrong though.

However:
1. Yes, UVI Workstation can be on laptop, and the library - on external drive. VI Labs allows up to 3 simultaneous activations. So you can install UVI Worksation on laptop and desktop, and use external SSD for library files to save space.
2. That I don't know, ask VI Labs support.
3. Yes.

Hmmm. I don't recall anything asking for an iLok ID. I just have a confirmation email with a download link. ???

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Modern U.

I purchased this and haven't dicked with the presets.... or some other features.... but boy, I am glad I listened to this video.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09/01/20 10:19 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thank you David B for the modern U Video.
This was the reason why i bought the modern u and it is so amazing.

In my personal ranking the modern U is on my first place, followed by the Bechstein and Bluethner from Pianoteq.

Last edited by klausi6; 09/02/20 01:47 AM.

RD 2000 , VSL BI,Garritan,Noire,Modern U , Grandeur , Bechstein Digital, Addictive Keys, Pianoteq , Ravenscroft, Ivory 2 ACD etc.
monitors: iLoud MTM headphones: AKG702,DT990 pro,Sure215 etc.

The Modern U sounds pretty bright, metallic, and kind of Pianoteq-like - is that not the case? I already can't stand the treble in nearly all of the Pianoteq pianos, regardless of settings. I was interested in the Modern U, but couldn't help but think I'd end up with a similar result.

I mean there's no trial option, and VI Labs offers no refunds. I very well could like it, but with this insane policy, I'll probably never purchase. You're supposed to remove barriers to the sale, not create them - this is basic stuff. You generate more sales with 30-day etc. guarantees than you do without. They're only hurting themselves and customers/potential customers by doing this.

Last edited by maul; 09/02/20 03:36 AM.
F
F
Originally Posted by maul
The Modern U sounds pretty bright, metallic, and kind of Pianoteq-like - is that not the case? I already can't stand the treble in nearly all of the Pianoteq pianos, regardless of settings. I was interested in the Modern U, but couldn't help but think I'd end up with a similar result.

I mean there's no trial option, and VI Labs offers no refunds. I very well could like it, but with this insane policy, I'll probably never purchase. You're supposed to remove barriers to the sale, not create them - this is basic stuff. You generate more sales with 30-day etc. guarantees than you do without. They're only hurting themselves and customers/potential customers by doing this.

A few pages before David posted a direct comparison video between the U4 and the modern U: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0OZI9SJ4s.

The Modern U sounds warmer in this comparison. Though I have to say when I play the U4 on my piano, it doesn't sound so harsh. But I'm not directly comparing things, so my ears might decieve me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

What playback system are you using? Amp/speaker/monitors ?

I don't find any of VI Labs pianos metallicy at all. Maybe you are hearing some inaccuracies of your playback system. I have what I feel is a pretty accurate playback system... see here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2915938/my-updated-rig-added-more-speakers.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09/02/20 09:43 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

What playback system are you using? Amp/speaker/monitors ?

I don't find any of VI Labs pianos metallicy at all. Maybe you are hearing some inaccuracies of your playback system. I have what I feel is a pretty accurate playback system... see here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2915938/my-updated-rig-added-more-speakers.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I'm using an HD650 with a Micca Origin on my laptop and a Schiit Bifrost/Asgard 2 on my desktop, so definitely something that's not going to accentuate treble frequencies. One of the descriptions of Ravenscroft 275 I've consistently heard is that it can be cold and bright, and the Modern U seems slanted towards that as well. Maybe metallicy is too extreme a word, but definitely more on the colder/clinical side of the spectrum, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that actually.

Last edited by maul; 09/02/20 12:06 PM.
O
O
David Lai kindly shared some presets that sound very nice - I'm going to try to break it down a bit for the mac / pc folks (I swing both ways... technologically) since the settings don't run into my mac properly. I need to find out where to 're-point' the sound files once I can figure out where they are on my mac vs pc!

[img]https://imgur.com/a/1O7cKVX[/img]

Last edited by OzarkCDN; 09/02/20 06:26 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All sound files are inside the big and single .ufs file.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
A
A
Maybe metallicy is too extreme a word, but definitely more on the colder/clinical side of the spectrum, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that actually.

I bought VSL's Bosendorfer Upright because it sounded darker, but judging from the demos, the Modern U doesn't always sounds so 'bright'. Maybe try a different preset or a different microphone perspective? For instance, mics that are placed a little bit further away from the instrument create a less detailed and more 'rounded' tone.

Last edited by Alex C; 09/03/20 02:30 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Here is a good example of VI Labs Modern U. I'm not sure what his settings are, but it sounds good with this classical piece.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
B
OP Offline
B
I would love to have Davids presents also. Where are they? 😊😊

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
Here is a good example of VI Labs Modern U. I'm not sure what his settings are, but it sounds good with this classical piece.

God bless,
David

Who said the VPC1 curved surface was unusable to hold anything on it? grin

I am planning to add some small keyboard and a MIDI controller (sliders and knobs, you know) over it and this video reassures me about doing it thumb

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,587
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission