2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (ambrozy, accordeur, Beemer, A. Lucato, anotherscott, Bentsch, 36251, 21 invisible), 715 guests, and 531 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Volodos Mompou PDF
PeteDako #2496553 01/03/16 04:08 AM
H
H
Yes Please!
Patgane1@gmail.com

daoc2009 #2497666 01/06/16 11:40 AM
H
H
Yes, I would really like a copy of this transcription thank you

Holly 43

Holly43 #2497740 01/06/16 03:03 PM
P
P
You can find all transcriptions by Volodos including this one in my dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdaviyjo...ions/Arcadi%20Volodos/Sheet%20Music?dl=0

Last edited by Putsmeiser; 01/06/16 03:06 PM.
toyboy #2498141 01/07/16 05:16 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by toyboy
great travesty has been done in the name of love. We know that. Don't we?
LOL

While I am thankful for the transcription too I do agree with toyboys assessment. If anything my assessment would be even less kind! For those that haven't discovered it yet the film footage of "Damunt de tu nomes les flors" featuring Mompou himself accompanying Victoria de Los Angeles in her living room is absolutely essential viewing and listening for anybody interested in this piece

After the spectacular recordings by Mompou himself (despite recording technolgy issues) the next best interpreters of his works for me so far have been Alicia de Larrocha and Stephen Hough — still don't know Carmen Brava's recording(s) if they exist but would assume they must be good too since she and the maestro were married

Volodos (like Lang Lang ) may be hugely successful and popular ~ however they're really not my cup of tea ~ I'm happy for them and their audiences etc. but have little interest in any repeat listenings

daoc2009 #2590714 11/28/16 12:34 PM
R
R
Dear Sir
Yes please - I would very much like to acquire your pdf of Volodos' arrangement of Mompou's Damunt de tu nomes les flors.
Is this for purchase or can you send it to my email which is richard@thepianostudio.co.uk
I run a cancer charity which is new: www.sonovivo.co.uk and a major scholarship programme for gifted young pianists from poorer backgrounds: www.pianomanscholarships.co.uk
I hope very much to hear from you
Best wishes
Richard Meyrick

Putsmeiser #3019523 08/30/20 06:03 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Putsmeiser
You can find all transcriptions by Volodos including this one in my dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdaviyjo...ions/Arcadi%20Volodos/Sheet%20Music?dl=0

Dear Putsmeiser and all - is the Volodos transcription for Mompou: Damunt de tu Nomes les flors available for sharing? The dropbox page linked above couldn't be found. Thank you!

toyboy #3020084 09/01/20 06:00 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by toyboy
I just want to add my 2 cents in defense of poor neglected Mompou. I am not saying the following to toot my own horn, but rather toot Mompou's piano. I made my own transcription of this, and adhered to his notes, adding the vocal line to the piano accompaniment, sharing both between right and left hand as needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApIdUvr254U

The piece itself has a very simple, haunting beauty, mourning death. The lines, based on a poem about the death of a lover, describe putting roses petals on her body. Here is a recording of one of the loveliest performances I've found, with Mompou at the piano and Victoria de los Angeles singing (at Mompou's home I believe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKf6UMKdW9U

Compare either to Volodos arrangement (NOT a transcription!). Perhaps you will be more liberal in your attitude than I. What Volodos does is gild the lilly. And I have had to wonder why he did this other than bring attention to his skills as an arranger (NOT a transcriber). He ruins the spirit of this piece by turning it into a virtuoso showpiece. No, there may not be any copyright violation with Mompou, but if I know Mompou (as much if not more than most) I believe he'd be quiet about this, as was his nature, but I strongly doubt he'd offer any praise to it.

Thank you. I've loved Combat del Somni for a few years and I'm finally working on two songs of the set with a singer, and I feel exactly the same way you do. I wrote a comment to that effect a few years ago on another video of the same Volodo performance- that Mompou was essentially about raw emotion distilled of all excesses, and it's precisely what makes the expression of his music so powerful. He shunned virtuosity, which seemed to only get in the way of the truth that he wanted to lay bare.

Your performance is beautiful- thank you for sharing. I found it slightly on the slow side- the effect for me was sometimes that the phrase stopped in the middle, every two bars (e.g. "damunt de tu--- nomes les flors; tota una vi--- da de perfum), which is felt especially if one has the lyrics running in their head as they listen. It's a shame because it occasionally disrupts the tension, which always builds up over at least 8 bars. (It's interesting to hear how Mompou started in a slightly faster tempo, but de los Angeles then pulled it back and he couldn't but adjust and take her tempo).

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

daoc2009 #3020092 09/01/20 06:33 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with those who think Volodos' arrangement of this piece is ruined by being overly virtuosic. it doesn't fit the simplicity and sadness of the piece.

daoc2009 #3020106 09/01/20 07:07 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hey toyboy
Your link to Mompou’s performance no longer works

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
daoc2009 #3020161 09/01/20 10:04 AM
J
J
I agree with toyboy. Not too familiar with this piece, heard it long ago I think.
Listened to the Youtube tribute to Mompou-Caballe- Aliccia de Larrocha. This piece needs no embellishments to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNbXZtHepA

To me what Volodos did was put his stamp on it like musicians who alter Jobim's music.

daoc2009 #3020236 09/01/20 02:01 PM
D
D
Once I had a masterclass with him. I was one of the few "privileged" to have lesson with him. (I was told that he is not teaching nor giving masterclasses). And I can truly say: This guy should never teach. He only gave lessons at the conservatory where I studied at the time because of his friendship with one teacher who, basically, invited him there just to give a lesson to one of his student. But to not make it that awkward, they organised a "selection" with a place for 3 students and I was one of them.
Anyway, Volodos well known for his "overvirtuosic" slamming piano loud as possible.... so I have prepared a surprise for him. The slow movement from Hammerklavier sonata, which I played very, very slow... like 23 minutes. It was so cool how he got nervous like after 10 seconds... but he had to let me play.
And of course, basically he had nothing to say. smile .... in front of the full hall. Some people told me after that we looked like 2 bulls in arena. Nice memories though.

Last edited by Dušan Holý; 09/01/20 02:03 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,292
Posts3,047,314
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission