2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (ambrozy, BrokenSymmetry, c++, Carey, BachToTheFuture, anotherscott, bobrunyan, albydooby, 16 invisible), 702 guests, and 540 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner
AWilley #2970220 04/22/20 03:25 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by AWilley
[Linked Image]

Maybe you could put these arrows next to the keyboard - always visible. It is more important, than the graph showing the tuning notes in relation to the calculated curve...

Last edited by Andymania; 04/22/20 03:29 PM.

excuse my bad english, I'm not native. Corrections are always welcome!
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
That Guy #2970226 04/22/20 03:31 PM
A
A
...and please don't missunderstand my critic. I like Piano Meter...

Last edited by Andymania; 04/22/20 03:31 PM.

excuse my bad english, I'm not native. Corrections are always welcome!
Andymania #2970263 04/22/20 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Andymania
Maybe you could put these arrows next to the keyboard - always visible. It is more important, than the graph showing the tuning notes in relation to the calculated curve...
More important than the size of the graph is the size of the keyboard itself (tiny little notes for big fingers). So in Portrait orientation there is no room on the sides. And in landscape there's no room above. One thought would be to put touch areas in the graphing area itself, but that space is already used for switching the graph (tap on sides) and resetting data points (long press).
Originally Posted by Andymania
2. The note switches when it should not.
I had it seldom.
It depends a lot on the piano, I think. Some notes on some pianos have really strong 2nd and 4th harmonics which makes things really annoying. I've gotten negative feedback on that for a while, both by email and in reviews. But I'm listening to feedback on the new change as well...particularly since I wasn't able to test it myself as much as I would have liked (I don't think I've tuned a piano in an entire month, except for my own of course).

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
That Guy #2978235 05/12/20 10:58 AM
M
M
Just a thumbs up for PianoMeter.
I used it to tune an 1886 Steinway A.
Not badly out of tune so not a pitch adjustment.
I left all settings at default. I have the pro version.
I used an old android phone someone gave me.
I measured 6 or 7 notes, sort of across the scale.
Started at A0 and went up the scale. Unisons as I went.
I used a single mute and a split mute.
I stayed standing up. I didn't time it, but I was amazed at how quickly I was done.
The bottom few notes were way low, so I retuned the bass.
I didn't focus heavily on the meter, just was aware of the patterns coming to a steady state.
I didn't pay much attention to the needle.
I had time to play the piano this morning.
I like the tuning just as is.
Good job Anthony!

Working on being a retired piano tuner.
That Guy #2978364 05/12/20 04:21 PM
Online Content
I got a new cell phone and installed the pro version of PianoMeter. Very easy to use and the user interface is top notch.

I also installed the eval version of TuneLab 2.4 for android, which is not on google play but manually downloaded from their site. For whatever reason, PianoMeter reads about 1 cent sharper than TuneLab on the same device (Moto E6 with android vs 9.1).

That Guy #2989980 06/11/20 01:27 AM
Have you calibrated the application?

That Guy #2990289 06/11/20 05:26 PM
T
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T
Yea, you just need to calibrate them both to the same pitch source. Just go to YouTube and do a search for A440 pitch and several will pop up. They're plenty accurate for what you're doing.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
That Guy #2992126 06/16/20 04:09 PM
Dear Mr. Willey! It would be nice to add a function to import settings files from the local storage in the program.

That Guy #2992247 06/17/20 12:55 AM
I wanted to say: tuning files.

That Guy #3001101 07/10/20 12:12 PM
E
E
I downloaded the $25 version. After two months I must say my Korg chromatic tuner is more useful. In the growling bass of my big old Steinway the PianoMeter needle jumps between -1 and +1 even when the phase display is static. And what possible use is that whirling imitation of a strobe tuner? I'm pretty old but I've never seen an analog stroboscopic tuner. Perhaps a static display would be easier on the eyes?
Overall, the problem is that the PianoMeter does not give a simple sharp-or-flat indication. Apparently the software is not good enough to integrate all the data it hears. I also have to wonder how accurate it is when every unsion I tune by ear is flat, according to the app, and every single string is sharp, according to the Korg.

That Guy #3005254 07/21/20 03:15 PM
Belated replies, sorry for the long silence.

Thanks to Vlad and Ed for following up with me by email. A quick response for anybody with similar questions:

1. Tuning file exports can be imported by clicking on the file on your Android device. They open into PianoMeter. Android's native file management system is notoriously bad so sometimes this doesn't work. The workaround is to install a 3rd party file manager app, which I recommend doing anyway. Also, this is all moot if you use the new Dropbox functionality...you can backup and restore files directly to/from a special folder in your Dropbox account without ever leaving the PianoMeter app.

2. On strobe vs. needle, I highly recommend using the strobes for the bass, tenor, and midsection and only using the needle for the high treble. The needle does its best to average and smooth the multi-partial data, but your eyes and brain can do a better job by making the strobes move as slowly as possible. (Yes, sometimes some move slowly left while others move slowly right.)

3. On calibration, the most common mistake is to test the app against an electronic source on the main tuning screen. This usually doesn't work. Many electronic sources produce a square wave tune that is rich in higher harmonics. (Think of the sharp nasal sound of the tuner on your Korg metronome or whatever.) When PianoMeter listens to this sound it's hearing those high harmonics which aren't shifted sharp like they would be on a piano string. Thus PianoMeter will say that your pitch source is flat. If you want to check the calibration, use the calibration screen. But to a large extent calibration isn't really necessary on modern devices.

In other news, I've been working on developing this for iOS. If anybody is interested in beta testing, please send me an email.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
AWilley #3018952 08/29/20 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Scherbakov Alex
How to configure 4 lower extra keys in [Bosendorfer] Imperial?

This is just an idea, as I don't have a convenient Bosendorfer to play around with...

1. Lock the tuning curve so the app isn't trying to measure inharmonicity.
2. Change the note switching mode to "Lock".
3. Use the keyboard at the bottom of the screen or the hidden note switching buttons to switch the note to G#1 (see this tutorial video at the 2:07 mark for how to switch notes manually)
4. Tune G#0, using whichever strobe rings show up. If you make the strobe ring labeled "5" stop turning, you'll be tuning G#0 to G#1 as a 5:10 octave.
5. Step the note down to G1 and repeat for G0, etc.

Let me know if this method works :-)

Thank you for the screenshot of the text wrapping issue. I've put that on my to-do list.
https://mega.nz/file/M1IzGAAL#B3OgzkGymJk_s7cuEv2L3HGyxqlBpw9P0IbvxKgqv8M

Vlad Ants #3019218 08/30/20 02:20 AM
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
His name is Andrew :-)

Recently tuned a 92 key 280 Bösendorfer from 1890 and that's something you just tune with your ears in the very low notes, whether you want to or not.

That Guy #3019663 08/31/20 05:31 AM
Good day. When I try to correct the A4 pitch in cents, the values are not saved. When entering values in hertz - are saved. Apparently this can be fixed ..

https://youtu.be/mzDnoNQj_DM

That Guy #3020024 09/01/20 12:04 AM
@Vlad, Thank you for the feedback!
@OE1FEU, Andrew is the second-most common name people call me. But my name is Anthony ;-)
@Alex, Thank you for reporting that bug and for the helpful video. I haven't yet been able to reproduce it on any of my devices, but I'll figure it out.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
That Guy #3023661 09/10/20 01:54 PM
N
N
I am not a technician nor a musician, but have a couple of family pianos at home played by family members.

Since it is middle of COVID, I am spending more time at home without visitors. I had a go on the basic plus version of PianoMeter using an ipad, on our baby grand, using our basic branded gooseneck hammer we got.

Took my time but it was much harder work than expected. Can someone tell me if I am doing anything wrong please?

The A440 key on the piano was picked up as 440 by another tone app using the very same ipad, but was showing flat on the PianoMeter app. The calibration was then set at 2.86 cents. Am I doing something wrong here, or am I missing some settings in ipad or Pianometer? Is there any point on buying and using an external lightning connection mic?

Would the use of a better tuning hammer makes the job much easier, for a complete beginner, for both ease of use and accuracy? Or is it overkill for tuning your own piano only? If better, can anyone please point me to the most accurate hammer for a zero skill person? I did try my best not to flagpole too much and set the pins with the gooseneck hammer, it was hard work. Is it normal the high trebles are much harder to work on? Is any of the AMS, Levitan professional, Jahn carbon fibre or simialr hammer especially suitable for beginner with little or no skill?

Not being a musician, I relied on the app to tune unison, generally try to get to within 0.5 cents ish or less of the 'first' tuned string. Is this a good/acceptable way to go about it, or should I try to use my ears more? I would describe this piano tuning sounded OK but not clean, after my first and only pass. If I play all the notes now and they are very close to the app's curve. I had a real struggle on the high treble pins. Also the low base note sometimes were struggling to be detect.

One thing not clear to me is the stretched curve options. The basic plus version gives out one curve with no other options, it is unclear what the full fat $300 version will provide. Is there stretch curve variations between different part of the world, or something like that?

My conclusion is that I will keep using it during COVID, and see if I can improve with practice. Lucky I can try 'tune' with one of the 'not the best' pianos, which we are planning to replace sometime next year.

Thanks in advance, any advice welcome, PianoMeter app users, technicians, developer.

That Guy #3023718 09/10/20 03:53 PM
Another small mistake (maybe) .. sometimes you come across a note that stops the phase display well, the inscription in the center says ~ -1.6 cents, and at the bottom of the graph the point does not fall on the line, it turns out to be shifted and in the description on the graph the note, for example, underestimates by -5.2 cents. Why does this happen sometimes? I recorded a video. In the video, this happens with the E1 note. It is a pity that the sound was not recorded ..

https://youtu.be/k9mt_f-PufE

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

It happens that if you go to an adjacent note and return, the data is updated and the point on the chart falls into place. But very rarely it gets stuck for long. This does not affect the setting, but .. this is strange

Last edited by Scherbakov Alex; 09/10/20 03:54 PM.
NoteTaken #3023762 09/10/20 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by NoteTaken
The A440 key on the piano was picked up as 440 by another tone app using the very same ipad, but was showing flat on the PianoMeter app. The calibration was then set at 2.86 cents.
It sounds like that may be the problem. In 99.9 percent of cases the calibration should be set to 0.0 cents. Also if you compare Pianometer to another tuning app using an electronically generated tone it will likely show a different result because PianoMeter is looking for multi-harmonic tones with inharmonicity.

Would the use of a better tuning hammer makes the job much easier, for a complete beginner, for both ease of use and accuracy? Or is it overkill for tuning your own piano only? If better, can anyone please point me to the most accurate hammer for a zero skill person? I did try my best not to flagpole too much and set the pins with the gooseneck hammer...
Almost anything will be an upgrade from a gooseneck. The Shaff/Hale levers are fine for home use (ballpark $60 maybe?) I prefer the Fujan carbon fiber, but that's overkill for someone just tuning their own piano.

One thing not clear to me is the stretched curve options. The basic plus version gives out one curve with no other options, it is unclear what the full fat $300 version will provide. Is there stretch curve variations between different part of the world, or something like that?

Don't worry about the stretch. The main Pro version features are the file storage and pitch raise overshoot, and it's not worth it for you to pay the extra money for those unless you're tuning many pianos a week.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
That Guy #3024078 09/11/20 04:07 PM
N
N
Yes my mistake on the calibration. Reading from PianoMeter is spot on. Great help too from Mr. Willey. When absolutely tone deaf like me, I can only do read out. Thanks

AWilley #3029509 09/27/20 08:36 AM
K
K
Absolutely great program with still a few rough edges, but the core concept is just brilliant. It has also taken about 15 minutes off my tuning time, with the graph being incredible for substituting in fine aural touch-up work. I used to do all this by tone memory. I wish this graph occupied half of the display area!

I just updated to the latest beta version of the software and it seems overall much better, with many small improvements. It seems to me that the display has been smoothed out just a bit. The auto-note switching is more stable, but I miss the old sensitivity which was truly the 'best in class' of any I had used before.

The descriptions in this thread posted by the developer were extremely useful in helping me understand the way this program operates and compiles iH data, which is critical as a pro to understand the edges and limits for your work. A lot of this knowledge was missing from the tutorials and manuals. Very grateful for this thread being here, to fill the gaps. Looking forward very much to improvements on this program!

Industry professional, registered technician..
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
First DP in 30 years
by Moggul - 01/17/21 10:24 AM
I just discovered music of Violet Archer
by iamandrew3 - 01/17/21 10:19 AM
Pianist Magazine's Online Courses
by bSharp(C)yclist - 01/17/21 10:00 AM
Performance crash and burn
by spartan928 - 01/17/21 09:51 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,321
Posts3,047,759
Members100,094
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission