2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (All in Stride, AWilley, c++, brennbaer, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 771 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Interesting questions related to piano?
Carey #3019852 08/31/20 02:14 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by bennevis
Let's delve into the realms of (relative) obscurity wink :

Who was the first pianist who took on the challenge of performing the complete piano works of Liszt, and subsequently formulated a method of teaching piano which is still used today?

N.B. I do mean 'performing', not 'recording'.
Wow - that's a tough one. 19th or 20th century?
That pianist lived well into the 20th century, though did stop performing in the 1890s.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
ZigZagStory #3019857 08/31/20 02:33 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I suspect that the first pianist to perform the complete piano works of Liszt had the initials F. L.

Semipro Tech
ZigZagStory #3019862 08/31/20 02:41 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thank you all for the interesting questions and answers. Keep posting , it’s always good to learn more!

petebfrance #3019863 08/31/20 02:42 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Who, well according to Wiki at any rate, was 'Britain's first millionaire composer'?
In inflation-corrected UKP that would be Handel, who died in 1759 with a net worth of about £20,000. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that is the equivalent about £3.9M at the end of 2019.

Not logging in very often, but I will receive PMs.
BDB #3019875 08/31/20 03:11 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by BDB
I suspect that the first pianist to perform the complete piano works of Liszt had the initials F. L.
Nope, Francis never performed all of his piano music.

He was still composing long after he retired from the concert platform. (He stopped performing as a concert pianist at the age of 35.)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #3019900 08/31/20 04:32 PM
Online Content

Who was the first pianist who took on the challenge of performing the complete piano works of Liszt, and subsequently formulated a method of teaching piano which is still used today?

That pianist lived well into the 20th century, though did stop performing in the 1890s.
I - give - up. That's more than relatively obscure.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #3019910 08/31/20 04:56 PM
B
B

I - give - up. That's more than relatively obscure.
I think the composer-pianist in question might be totally unknown to most pianists grin.

So, I'll give a few hints. She started giving concerts at nine. Saint-Saëns said: "There is only one person that can play Liszt, and that is......", and dedicated his most famous solo piano piece to her. She visited London in 1856 and performed for Queen Victoria. She had over 80 of her pieces published during her lifetime. And Liszt came to her engagement party..........

ZigZagStory #3019930 08/31/20 05:39 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Sounds like Teresa Carreño. But undoubtedly Liszt performed all of his piano music, but not necessarily in public.

Semipro Tech
BDB #3019936 08/31/20 05:54 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by BDB
Sounds like Teresa Carreño.
No, Carreño never performed more than a tiny handful of Liszt pieces.

But undoubtedly Liszt performed all of his piano music, but not necessarily in public.
If your definition of "perform" is any playing to anyone, including to oneself, then yes.

But my definition is one that most here would understand as it applies to music performance, which is to entertain people by dancing, singing, acting, or playing music (Cambridge Dictionary).

bennevis #3019965 08/31/20 08:02 PM
Online Content
I think the composer-pianist in question might be totally unknown to most pianists grin.

So, I'll give a few hints. She started giving concerts at nine. Saint-Saëns said: "There is only one person that can play Liszt, and that is......", and dedicated his most famous solo piano piece to her. She visited London in 1856 and performed for Queen Victoria. She had over 80 of her pieces published during her lifetime. And Liszt came to her engagement party..........
GOT IT !!!!! Thanks for the hints.

"Marie (Trautmann) Jaëll (17 August 1846 – 4 February 1925) was a French pianist, composer, and pedagogue. Marie Jaëll composed pieces for piano, concertos, quartets, and others. She dedicated her cello concerto to Jules Delsart. and was the first pianist to perform all the piano sonatas of Beethoven in Paris. She did scientific studies of hand techniques in piano playing and attempted to replace traditional drilling with systematic piano methods. Her students included Albert Schweitzer, who studied with her while also studying organ with Charles-Marie Widor in 1898-99. She died in Paris."

And here's an example of her writing.....

https://youtu.be/Yg5oqXoUz8o

Last edited by Carey; 08/31/20 08:03 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #3020097 09/01/20 06:44 AM
B
B
GOT IT !!!!! Thanks for the hints.

"Marie (Trautmann) Jaëll (17 August 1846 – 4 February 1925) was a French pianist, composer, and pedagogue. Marie Jaëll composed pieces for piano, concertos, quartets, and others. She dedicated her cello concerto to Jules Delsart. and was the first pianist to perform all the piano sonatas of Beethoven in Paris. She did scientific studies of hand techniques in piano playing and attempted to replace traditional drilling with systematic piano methods. Her students included Albert Schweitzer, who studied with her while also studying organ with Charles-Marie Widor in 1898-99. She died in Paris."
thumb

I must confess she was only a name to me until yesterday, when I heard this program, and was intrigued:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m475

(Hopefully, you can access it where you live - there are five more until Friday. Her Piano Concerto No.1 is a pretty large-scale work, longer than, if not as memorable as Saint-Saëns's.)

Lots of interesting info about her life and the people she met in the programs. Until this, I'd only known her as the dedicatee of Saint-Saëns's ridiculously OTT Étude en form de valse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLETlzO6BrQ

This from wiki:

Physiology research and Jaëll Method
After struggling with tendonitis, Jaëll began to study neuroscience. The strain on her playing and performing led her to research physiology. Jaëll studied a wide variety of subjects pertaining to the functioning of the body,and also ventured into psychology: "She wanted to combine the emotional and spiritual act of creating beautiful music with the physiological aspects of tactile, additive, and visual sensory."

Dr. Charles Féré assisted Jaëll in her research of physiology. Her studies included how music affects the connection between mind and body, as well as how to apply this knowledge to intelligence and sensitivity in teaching music. Liszt's music had such a tremendous influence on Jaëll that she sought to gain as much insight into his methods and techniques as possible. This research and study lead to Jaëll creating her own teaching method based on her findings.

Jaëll's teaching method was known as the 'Jaëll Method'. Her method was created through a process of trial and error with herself and her students. Jaëll's goal was for her students to feel a deep connection to the piano. An eleven book series on piano technique resulted from her research and experience. Piano pedagogues have since drawn insight into teaching techniques of the hand from her method and books. In fact, her method is still in use today.

As a result of her studies, Jaëll was able to compile her extensive research into a technique book entitled L'intelligence et le rythme dans les mouvements artistiques. This text is used by pianists and piano pedagogues as a reference, specifically with hand position and playing techniques.

bennevis #3020795 09/03/20 05:12 AM
A
A
I must confess she was only a name to me until yesterday, when I heard this program, and was intrigued:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m475

(Hopefully, you can access it where you live - there are five more until Friday. Her Piano Concerto No.1 is a pretty large-scale work, longer than, if not as memorable as Saint-Saëns's.)

Wow, thank you for bringing her up! I've listened to two episodes so far and will definitely listen to the other three. What an exquisite composer and a fascinating personality! "An artist's fingers and a philosopher's brain," Liszt said of her.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

ZigZagStory #3021094 09/04/20 03:23 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by ZigZagStory
Hello all,
I will be grateful for ideas for nice questions which do not have straightforward answers and show the beauty of music and piano.

Why is slow practice = fast practice?

Not contesting the idea just interesting to think how you have to go slow if you eventually want to be fast and you will probably not be fast by only going fast. Sorry I dunno what choices you would make there in the game. Interesting question though hope I helped :P

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
I have an announcement, LOL...
by ebonykawai - 01/16/21 09:17 AM
Petroff Piano Competition 2021
by Piano World - 01/16/21 09:16 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,289
Posts3,047,262
Members100,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission