2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 159 of 237 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 236 237
W
W
Not sure if it's just me, but does anyone else notice that the bosendorfer voice for B4 and C5 is a bit more quiet than the other keys? It doesn't have that sparkle compared to other notes nearby.

I used the smart pianist app to bump B4/C5 +2.25db and A4/D5 +0.5db and the result I feel sounds better.

A
A
Hello there, allow me to introduce myself first.

I started piano when I was 14, did about 6 years of classical studies and stupidly stoped studying music. Only to figure out as an adult is the only thing I love and I'm rather good at ( I did Beethoven Sonatas, Chopin Études, some Liszt back in the day)

So I bought a CASIO celviano for some 1.200 CAD at Costco and let me tell you you don't get better for this price. We're talking beautiful cabinet, effect including damper pedal, lid simulator, etc. Actually rather better in its technology than most Clavinovas. Unfortunately the touch didn't comply and the sound became uninspiring. So I decided to hunt for an hybrid.

I was sure I was going to buy the N1X, until NV10 came into the picture, so I went out and tried it. Back and forth with the Yamaha for several days. At the end kept my initial thought of going for the N1X.

The Novus needs to be worked on. The sound system can't cope with the otherwise amazing sample Kawai got out its SK, it sound so freaking natural, but I heard a blurry and fuzzy noise when playing heavy harmonics. The keyboard is amazing, better than the N1X, but It isn't capable of performing crispy staccatos. Finally, VRM needs improving and headphones need binaural, which at the end was my pivot to lean towards the N1X.

I'll get it delivered next week!

Sorry for the long post. But now the questions:

- Anyone already connected SmartPianist trough Android? How?
- What is the common know best choice for headphones? I currently own the SENNHEISER HD598 and it sound amazing but maybe there is something even better? I'll be playing a lot with headphones.
- Have any of you had issues with regulation, humidity, dryness of the mechanism after several years of use?

Thanks!

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 08/30/20 02:36 PM.
W
W
Originally Posted by Alexander Acosta
- What is the common know best choice for headphones? I currently own the SENNHEISER HD598 and it sound amazing but maybe there is something even better? I'll be playing a lot with headphones.
- Have any of you had issues with regulation, humidity, dryness of the mechanism after several years of use?

- You need a USB-B to USB-A cable to plug into the USB Host of the N1X (left side bottom), and then a female USB-A adapter to whatever plug your phone has. Download the Smart Pianist app on playstore and go through the connection wizard

- Depends on your budget. Obviously the best would be like Stax, or AD-2000 or HD800 open back headphones, but it's very diminishing returns. I personally use Audio-Technica AD-700 connected to a headphone amp with the binaural CFX voice. Your 598 should be fine.

- I've had mine for less than a month, can't offer input there

N
N
What is the common know best choice for headphones? I currently own the SENNHEISER HD598

I think your HD598s are just fine. I have a pair here. I also have HD650, and they do sound different, but in this context I don't prefer one to the other. If you have a little extra cash perhaps spend it on a good used dedicated headphone amp and then drive it via the line out of the N1X. You will notice the difference.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H

I started piano when I was 14, did about 6 years of classical studies and stupidly stoped studying music. Only to figure out as an adult is the only thing I love and I'm rather good at ( I did Beethoven Sonatas, Chopin Études, some Liszt back in the day)

So I bought a CASIO celviano for some 1.200 CAD at Costco and let me tell you you don't get better for this price. We're talking beautiful cabinet, effect including damper pedal, lid simulator, etc. Actually rather better in its technology than most Clavinovas. Unfortunately the touch didn't comply and the sound became uninspiring. So I decided to hunt for an hybrid.

I was sure I was going to buy the N1X, until NV10 came into the picture, so I went out and tried it. Back and forth with the Yamaha for several days. At the end kept my initial thought of going for the N1X.

The Novus needs to be worked on. The sound system can't cope with the otherwise amazing sample Kawai got out its SK, it sound so freaking natural, but I heard a blurry and fuzzy noise when playing heavy harmonics. The keyboard is amazing, better than the N1X, but It isn't capable of performing crispy staccatos. Finally, VRM needs improving and headphones need binaural, which at the end was my pivot to lean towards the N1X.

I'll get it delivered next week!

Sorry for the long post. But now the questions:

Thanks!

The NV10 does not have key release velocity sensing. I think you are the first forum member that finds it lacking when playing staccato. Wondering what repertoire you are playing on the NV10 that you found the staccatos are lacking?

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

I started as an adult a few years ago (in my forties) and my fingers will never move/look like someone who started when they were a child (even if they've taken time off). There is something about developing the neurological networks and muscle memory early on.

The keyboard is amazing, better than the N1X, but It isn't capable of performing crispy staccatos.

That's a new one. I've never heard that complaint about the NV10 before. What would cause that?

I think most would agree that you're good-to-go on the headphones.

Does it get really humid where you live in Canada? I think the only type of humidity you'd have to be concerned about is the tropical humidity. The N1X has wooden key sticks and whippens, but plastic repetition levers and jacks. I don't think elements (with the exception of extreme heat/cold/humidity) are going to be a factor.

Congratulations on the purchase. We'll need the obligatory initial thoughts, pics, and sound sample once you get it. smile

God Bless,
David

A
A
I tried it all when trying both the N1X and the Novus. From Chopin Ballade op 23, to Rachmaninov Op 23 No 5, Some Chopin Nocturnes then when for random things like trills, octaves, staccatos. Repeated notes going from PPP to FFF and vice-versa, heavy harmonics, loud notes, dissonances, etc.

I wasn't going to try and see what they are good at but what they are bad at, what were they lacking. And I found the NV10 was the one it needed more work by the Kawai developers in order to be complete. Their key sensors and speakers need to be improved. They need binaural. But again, the Keyboard I loved it and the Kawai samples, I closed my eyes as a guy from the store was playing Chopin Polonaise Fantasie, Liszt Sonata, Beethoven Sonatas and it sounded as the real thing, till those already mentioned blurry, fuzzy noises emerged when the harmonic where to much for the speakers to handle. This doesn't happen with the AvantGrand Line, or at least is less perceptible.

I do think in some years the Novus will surpass the AvantGrand, as Yamaha seems to have fallen to sleep on their success, but as of today.

A
A
It gets rather humid during summer. My doors expands so much that I have to force them to open or close! I will recording a bit from input and from the speakers.

I think the Staccatos thing is because of the lack of key off. I found that it sounded as if the dampers took to much time to silence the strings after I had lift my fingers from the keys. I'm guessing that Playing "Pantalón et Colombie" from Carnaval Op 9 would sound rather bizarre.

W
W
Thought I finally take the time to play around with the recording functions. It's my first time ever doing any recording so I have no idea what I was doing, hope the pros can offer some advice.

Steps:

1. Video recorded from smartphone
2. Audio is WAV from USB stick plugged in
3. Transferred both files to PC
4. Synced up video with audio in Win10 Photos

Questions:

1. I played this on bosendorfer voice. Is the recorded WAV also the same voice?
2. Any tips on the video/audio sync? Took me a good 10 min to get it lined up but still probably off by a couple milliseconds

Anyways, here's my 4 week progress of Fantaisie Impromptu:

T
T
Woppa, that sounds awesome! Was this on the N1X? Your finger movements look so light compared to the sound! Do you find the pedal action to be comparable to what you would have recorded on an acoustic grand?

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
W
W
Originally Posted by TexasBear
Woppa, that sounds awesome! Was this on the N1X? Your finger movements look so light compared to the sound! Do you find the pedal action to be comparable to what you would have recorded on an acoustic grand?

Thanks, it's still a WIP but yes it's recorded on N1X. Light fingers is the way to play otherwise there's tension. The pedal on the N1X is good, especially when using half pedal. The way I use it is exactly the same as acoustic piano, but I find the resonance decay still lacking compared to the real thing. For example if I use the pedal to give a harmonic resonance in the bass then slowly letting off while playing a phrase with right hand, there's a point where the resonance will suddenly go away that sounds a bit digital. That said I only got the piano 4 weeks ago and before that I haven't played in like 30 yrs, so I'm relearning everything. I'm basing my acoustic experience off my childhood memories.

Also on my unit I had issues with creeking pedal noise (you can see prev posts where I uploaded a video on this), technician couldn't figure it out and waiting on a replacement unit, but I was able to do a temp fix on it by putting a felt pad in between the metal parts where it was rubbing.

R
R
Originally Posted by woppa
Originally Posted by TexasBear

Thanks, it's still a WIP but yes it's recorded on N1X. Light fingers is the way to play otherwise there's tension. The pedal on the N1X is good, especially when using half pedal. The way I use it is exactly the same as acoustic piano, but I find the resonance decay still lacking compared to the real thing. For example if I use the pedal to give a harmonic resonance in the bass then slowly letting off while playing a phrase with right hand, there's a point where the resonance will suddenly go away that sounds a bit digital. That said I only got the piano 4 weeks ago and before that I haven't played in like 30 yrs, so I'm relearning everything. I'm basing my acoustic experience off my childhood memories.

Also on my unit I had issues with creeking pedal noise (you can see prev posts where I uploaded a video on this), technician couldn't figure it out and waiting on a replacement unit, but I was able to do a temp fix on it by putting a felt pad in between the metal parts where it was rubbing.

Very nice playing smile

On my N1X I use the combination of sound #3 with binaural=off and headphones. Espesially with the slow part of this piece, the pedaling, resonance decay and sound is really fantastic with that combination. Please try that out smile

Yamaha N1X, P-200, HS8 speakers, MG06 mixer
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

Four week progress? Boy, that is wonderful playing. Sure, you could polish a few of the faster passages if you want to make a concert with a paying audience (when COVID ends), but even as it is, it is excellent and wonderfully conveys the mood of the piece!

I wish I could get to your level in 4 years! My piano teacher assures me that I will, but keeps me on easier repertoire for now... but I digress

W
W
Originally Posted by RonnieK
Very nice playing smile

On my N1X I use the combination of sound #3 with binaural=off and headphones. Espesially with the slow part of this piece, the pedaling, resonance decay and sound is really fantastic with that combination. Please try that out smile

Whoa sound 3, do you use this voice as main? If so you may be the first grin

The headphones definitely bring out much more detail and I'm sure it sounds fantastic, I'll have to try out your suggestion with voice 3 + headphones. I mainly use headphones if I want to do some slow and focused practicing without pedal so I can hear every unevenness, weak voicing etc

I'll do another recording later today to demonstrate the decay with a slower piece.

W
W
Originally Posted by Del Vento

Four week progress? Boy, that is wonderful playing. Sure, you could polish a few of the faster passages if you want to make a concert with a paying audience (when COVID ends), but even as it is, it is excellent and wonderfully conveys the mood of the piece!

I wish I could get to your level in 4 years! My piano teacher assures me that I will, but keeps me on easier repertoire for now... but I digress

Thanks man! Listen to your teacher, easier repertoire builds good fundamentals. A lot of beginners attempt to play stuff beyond their level, and a quick look at their hands usually confirms that. The brain stores bad habits and progress will never be made. Like this Op66, if your 4:3 polyrhythm is on point and can play the notes freely without pressing the bottom of the keybed you're more than halfway there. Without those fundamentals Op66 is impossible.

Take your time, have good practice sessions and improve at your own pace. When it comes to piano, the journey is part of the fun

R
R
A few of you have mentioned using a dedicated headphone amp. I'm not really familiar with these. Is there an amp that you would recommend? Something I can buy off Amazon?

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
J
J

Congratulations on getting an N1X Alexander! You are going to love it.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
W
W
Originally Posted by RCKFlorida
A few of you have mentioned using a dedicated headphone amp. I'm not really familiar with these. Is there an amp that you would recommend? Something I can buy off Amazon?

It's not necessary if you don't have high impedence headphones (you most likely don't if you're not familiar with headphone amps). I use one because I had it lying around, it gives extra convenience in that I don't have to touch the volume levels to change between speaker/headphones.

W
W
Recorded a slower piece to demonstrate the pedal decay. Watching the video I don't really notice it compared to when I was playing it but I guess that's most of us when we listen to our own recordings

So in the last part of the coda, my goal is to keep the entire resonance during the cadenza, and as I come down I slowly let off the pedal so the final couple of notes have zero resonance, and transition into the final cadence section where I hold a half pedal for the entirety of the last two bars to let the notes swim in that light harmonic resonance.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Recorded a slower piece to demonstrate the pedal decay.

Unfortunately, this is a issue with all digital pianos, and certainly on my NU1 (as others have said, the pedal on the NU1 is almost useless, which is a shame because mechanically it is great). I am not sure why manufacturers are so sloppy about sustain time. I think some VI avoid that problem.

The easiest way to demonstrate the problem is by playing a single note (either hold with the finger or with the pedal) and looking at a stopwatch. All digital pianos that I know of will have a sound lasting just a few seconds. Any crappy acoustic piano will last easily for 10 seconds, unless the soundboard is horribly cracked in shreds (minor cracks will still sound ok, at least in this regard). Any decent acoustic piano (like my inexpensive 100y old one) will do 15 seconds, and a good instrument with the long-sought good-singing-tone will even reach 20 seconds or more, depending on the size of your wallet before you purchased said piano ;-)

Page 159 of 237 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission