2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Almar, David Boyce, Boboulus, crazyRyoga, Beowulf, David B, bohemiatotal, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 455 guests, and 547 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Absolute beginner
#3019511 08/30/20 05:32 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi, I'm new here and also newly venturing into the piano world.

I'm looking for a recommendation as a good starter instrument.
I don't want to spend too much money at all, I'll explain why.

I usually play guitar, then I saw some videos of someone playing every part of a song using a guitar and a midi keyboard. So I bought my self a Novation Launchkey Mini mk3..
Instead of recreating songs with my guitar and various effects from Ableton with the launchkey, I end up just selecting the grand piano sound and playing parts of songs.

I enjoyed this but the problem is, it's only 25 keys, so I learn the left hand part of the song, and the right hand but I can't play them both together.

Anyway after looking around I stumbled across the Casio CDP-S100 which is £300. I almost bought it but then had doubts.
I wanted one that's half decent, weighted keys, piano like sound and it comes with a sustain pedal. I didn't want to get a basic keyboard then want an upgrade a month or 2 down the line.
But my doubts came from thinking the opposite to that, I could spend £300 and decide I don't like playing it.

Am I really going to find what I want for less money or should I just go get the Casio?

I just need the piano sound, velocity sensitive keys would make sense. The sustain but I don't think I'd mind if this came in a pedal form or an on off button to start with.
Not too bothered about making helicopter sounds haha. But maybe some other sounds in case I decide to go back to my 90s childhood and play some dance (embarrassing I know).

Sorry for the long post and I hope I'm in the right place.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Absolute beginner
AcidVenus #3019532 08/30/20 06:29 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
<$1000 Kawai ES110 or Casio PX160/PX870

>$1000 Kawai ES8, CN39, Novus 10

Avoid Roland FP10/FP30, anything with PHA4, it's popularly recommended, but overall a very sluggish action, and these 2 models specifically drop fast trills.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/30/20 06:34 PM.
AcidVenus #3019563 08/30/20 08:02 PM
J
J
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmDkp6vSag Which did you prefer? Of course, they will sound different w/ piano speakers... but it's a great judgement. These are the higher end models of the most popular digital piano brands (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Casio).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl9riIwHuV0 here are the lower end pianos. Which did you prefer?
ES110 is a great digital piano for it's pricepoint. What is your budget? If you didn't like the sounds of the digital pianos I showed (or you would want a higher quality sound), do you have at least a computer with 16 gigs of ram and an i7 processor? Would you be ok with producing the sound thru the computer?

Finally bought the P515
AcidVenus #3019597 08/30/20 11:04 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
Am I really going to find what I want for less money or should I just go get the Casio?

I don't think you'll find a better new, 88-weighted-key DP for less than the CDP-S100's price.

. . . It meets the specs for "beginning piano", and it wouldn't be a mistake to get it.

I suspect that the new, "slim" Casios, have an action that's worse than the older Privias -- the PX-150 / 160 and a bunch of others. (The reason involves shortening the keys, and therefore making it harder to play near the "fallboard" -- the back of the keys. Also, the new actions are 2-sensor, rather than 3-sensor, and that has some subtle effects that you won't care about for a while.)

If you can find a used PX-160 for a similar price, it might be a better choice, even though it's an older model. (I might be picking at nits, here -- if so, you'll hear about it in the next replies.)

The idea of a sustain pedal that's hand-operated made me laugh. You'll find out why, as you learn to play.

Welcome to the club --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
AcidVenus #3019600 08/30/20 11:21 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
You don't necessarily need to worry about "fast trills" or "triple sensor". Maybe not even about "pivot length".

But that specific Casio seems to have an unnaturally short sustain. The CDP-S350 seems better in that regard, but it's also more expensive then. 😐

Used gear is an option of course. There's the risk of squeaks, rattles and clunks, so check each key before departing from your money...

AcidVenus #3019605 08/30/20 11:31 PM
T
T
It all depends on your budget, but I agree that you can find something in a very low price range that would still give you a decent playing experience. However, I would recommend you definitely consider something with a sustain foot pedal. That is one of the most important components of playing a piano. Seriously, I have played at funeral homes and other venues that had "digital pianos" without a working sustain pedal and felt completely naked without it. I would take even the cheapest keyboard with a sustain pedal over an acoustic piano with a non-working sustain pedal.

In the market for a new digital piano
AcidVenus #3019611 08/31/20 12:10 AM
D
D
I agree with the others about buying something like a second hand Casio PX-150 or PX-160, especially if you're not 100% sure you're going to stick with piano. If you do stick with piano, the PX-150/PX-160 will be fine for a long time. If you don't stick with the piano you should be to get rid of it without taking much of a hit. I love my Kawai MP11se but still have a 16 year-old Casio (CDP-20???) and a current Casio (PX-560) that I use for gigs. The 16 year-old model has been put through heck and still plays perfectly. You're not planning on practicing classical piano every day and don't want to spend a lot, go with a Casio.

AcidVenus #3019633 08/31/20 02:06 AM
F
F
I would consider upping the budget to around 500, unless the difference is really going to hurt you. Around that price range you will be able to get some decent keys that will last you for years. I'm not a big fan of cheap keyboards, your experience is going to suck. And personally I think that will lower the possibility of you sticking with it.

AcidVenus #3019641 08/31/20 02:35 AM
D
D
I agree with FloRi89 to up the budget to about 500 if possible and I recommend the Roland FP-10 as a good starting digital piano choice. You are right to consider full 88 weighted keys. Even if you're not sure if you'll stick with the piano, I think it would only be right if you gave yourself a proper piano to begin with. Getting any less than 88 keys is like buying a toy piano in my opinion. Just imagine while you're learning and you find out you can't play a piece simply because your piano doesn't have enough keys. You never had a chance to learn it..

It's like learning to play baseball but rather than getting an actual bat you get a plastic toy bat. Get the real thing or don't at all is my opinion. The "real thing" or the closest to it unfortunately is going to be more expensive than your budget..maybe save up more for now?

And besides, even if you don't get 88 weighted keys one, you'll eventually get one anyway if you'll stick with it. So then you'll have your huge old piano that will take up space in your house(something to really consider when you're in a confined space like me..)

Last edited by dcbluepiano; 08/31/20 02:37 AM.
AcidVenus #3019723 08/31/20 08:49 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check out the above recommendations later. I'm at work now but wanted to log on during my break so I didn't look like someone making you all read a long post and then I disappeared.

All the info is greatly appreciated. I work in a pawn shop and we occasionally get some good stuff in. Unfortunately the only one at the moment is a Roland that was apparently £2500 new.... 30 years ago so I'm not sure that will cut it. Thanks again and I'll look forward to researching your suggestions.

AcidVenus #3020847 09/03/20 09:58 AM
A
OP Offline
A
So the PX160 does appear to be better but the problem is trying to find one, especially used.

I also looked at the Roland FP10 mentioned above, the website o checked didn't mention a sustain pedal included.

If I was considering a more expensive one I'd need to try find a bundle deal as the stools and stands don't seem cheap.

I'll have a Google at the average heights of each and I'll look at Amazon or eBay.

I've still not decided on which I'm getting, the price is what's pulling me towards the Casio I mentioned. I'll keep checking the second hand market for a few more days but I'll get impatient soon and I'll just buy that Casio.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,350
Posts3,048,280
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission