2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Daniel van Veen, clothearednincompo, barbaram, aphexdisklavier, David Lai, 12 invisible), 430 guests, and 547 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: About Yamaha p515
peterws #3019348 08/30/20 11:03 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by PianoCal
[but will heavy action make it difficult for me...?

Still looking to upgrade from the Piaggero to something with a lighter key action than P515. Was considering the Kawai ES110 but it’s not in stock.

Es110 is a lot lighter. In some respects not as good but I liked that myself. Could easily have bought it instead of the P515 or the ES8.

Not sure if it has an audio in, although that itself isn't a big problem to me. It does have a decent sound.[/quote]

Yes Kawai es110 hasta aux L and R , it is a good piano. I think that I should have bought something cheaper

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
PlayerkaN #3019434 08/30/20 02:19 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by PlayerkaN
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Yes, the CLP635 has a lower action (GH3X). I do prefer the NWX.

Ahh ok i am beginner, thanks for your information. There was a CLP 695GP this action was amazing
the kawai es8 is much better?
Everybody praise this action, and James Pavel say that p515 is like a acoustic piano in this price range. I like the sound of kawai but in my city there are only stores with yamaha and roland

CLP-695GP has Grand Touch action which is very heavy in CLP-6xx series. Heavier than NWX in CLP-645 and P-515.....

P-515, Reface CP; SV-2 73; XK-1c; Eris E5; K271 MKII; AH80
PlayerkaN #3019450 08/30/20 02:59 PM
J
J
I would say P-515's action is barely heavy. I was surprised when I got it, lots of reviews saying that the action was heavy... oddly enough, I put my touch setting to "Hard". I think the guy using the unweighted yamaha keyboard probably wasn't used to weighted actions and that's why he returned the P-515... because I literally started playing everything I could on a normal piano on my P-515 with no need for me to adapt to it. I haven't discussed this but if you put your P-515 by the window, as sunlight shines in it hits the keys and makes the black and white keys look very beautiful, due to the texture. The black keys have sooo much texture, and the white keys have really nice synthetic ivory. The ES8 has lighter action but that does come with a cost, the keys aren't wooden, the black keys aren't textured and apparently it's a super loud action, especially when going up after being depressed: https://youtu.be/XwaDOf568Ko?t=2646

Finally bought the P515
PlayerkaN #3019490 08/30/20 04:20 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
It is possible that most digital pianos feel heavy when the reference is a Piaggero. Such a keybaord has no hammers.

Perhaps one of the ligher keyboard would be a Yahama GHS (P-125), or perhaps the Casio Tri-sensor II (I am not sure they are still made, but I really disklike them because I fell the too light. I havn't try and fell the new PX-S1000 and PX-S3000)

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
PlayerkaN #3019495 08/30/20 04:31 PM
J
J
If you say the P-515's action is so heavy it's unplayable maybe you should resort to synth actions/unweighted actions because piano is not for you.

Finally bought the P515
PlayerkaN #3019666 08/31/20 05:47 AM
P
OP Offline
P
we could create a thread yamaha p515 owners, does anyone create a thread?

PlayerkaN #3019720 08/31/20 08:46 AM
T
T
I was looking at this online.
The specs say 40 sounds but then 480 XG sounds.
Those are built into the piano?

Ticklintheivories #3019725 08/31/20 08:51 AM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by Ticklintheivories
Those are built into the piano?

Yes, they are. It just takes you two or three more (button) clicks to get to (and choose) them. It might be easier with the app, but that I don't know, as I don't use it.

Kawai Novus NV10; Kawai MP11SE

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
PlayerkaN #3019748 08/31/20 09:52 AM
T
T
I've noticed this on many of the Yamaha models. I read that the XG sound set is a group of instrument sounds for MIDI compatibility. Does the quality of the XG sounds differ by model, or is it a standard across the Yamaha line? And how would you rate the quality of the sounds? My mind is thinking of video games from my 1990's Sound Blaster sound card!

In the market for a new digital piano
joemama42O #3019762 08/31/20 10:45 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joemama42O
I would say P-515's action is barely heavy. I was surprised when I got it, lots of reviews saying that the action was heavy... oddly enough, I put my touch setting to "Hard".
because I literally started playing everything I could on a normal piano on my P-515 with no need for me to adapt to it.

I've been experimenting with the touch variations available. I tried "Soft 2" and it ain't half loud! Like, dynamic too.
It's a lot lighter, though of course it ain't if you see what i mean. And the Yamaha Bosendorfer is so much better. Everything is, really; I'd tried this before and disliked it. Shrug. It happens . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
PlayerkaN #3019770 08/31/20 11:00 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As far as I know, Soft and Hard settings do not change the physical touch, they only affect sensitivity, i.e. velocity 'gain'.
Simply speaking, velocity shape is probably the same, but its angle changes, allowing to either easier reach the max gain (Hard settings), or reach only, say, 70% of the max gain with sledgehammer (Soft settings).

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
VladK #3019801 08/31/20 12:13 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VladK
As far as I know, Soft and Hard settings do not change the physical touch, they only affect sensitivity, i.e. velocity 'gain'.
Simply speaking, velocity shape is probably the same, but its angle changes, allowing to either easier reach the max gain (Hard settings), or reach only, say, 70% of the max gain with sledgehammer (Soft settings).

I got it wrong way round. I'm using "Soft 2" which gives a harder tone but feels softer to the touch whilst so doing. There's a huge difference between the five settings.
I think it can be safely said that "Hard 2" would not achieve max volume. On Pianoteq, too, the change makes itself felt in the same way as one might expect.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
TexasBear #3019809 08/31/20 12:33 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by TexasBear
Does the quality of the XG sounds differ by model, or is it a standard across the Yamaha line? And how would you rate the quality of the sounds?

I suppose the quality of the sounds may vary from device to device or by time if all devices from the same era use a similar sound chip, but they increase the sample ROM. Dunno, really.

As for quality, you can have a look (take a listen) to some demos of devices based on the XG sound set, like e.g. the QY-70/100 sound module/arranger/sequencer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKRJTUyQbLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2frLhIJ9g

...or the Yamaha SW1000XG sound card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVIV1kVKYo

The problem could be finding more acoustic instrument oriented demos. 😐

PlayerkaN #3020065 09/01/20 04:32 AM
G
G
One of the great moments watching a Merriam Music video I had when he talked about the NV-10 and said how important it is to
set the *right volume* when playing a digital instrument. Please never forget that this parameter at least exists. If you set the volume really low, for example
not to bother other people or so, you will automatically press the keys harder in order to get more sound out of it, although actually the reason why the sound
does not come out as you wanted might be that it was simply set too quiet. And
this can totally make you feel like the action is terribly heavy although it might not be.
Just the way it feels to play can be dramatically different with different levels of volume.

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
Gamma1734 #3020075 09/01/20 05:17 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by Gamma1734
One of the great moments watching a Merriam Music video I had when he talked about the NV-10 and said how important it is to
set the *right volume* when playing a digital instrument. Please never forget that this parameter at least exists. If you set the volume really low, for example
not to bother other people or so, you will automatically press the keys harder in order to get more sound out of it, although actually the reason why the sound
does not come out as you wanted might be that it was simply set too quiet. And
this can totally make you feel like the action is terribly heavy although it might not be.
Just the way it feels to play can be dramatically different with different levels of volume.

I have wondered about this, what IS the right volume? Really high, really low, something in between?

As for the action, there is no real answer here:
- First acoustic my parents owned was a restored, really old upright. The action was insanely heavy.
- Then they bought a C. Bechstein grand from 1930 (also restored). The action there is really light, like it will react to the slightest touch. That's really hard to play actually, when I tried that intitally my dynamics where all over the place.
- And finally they also bought a Yamaha baby grand and this one has a rather heavy action
- At my home there is a Clavinova 675 for comparison, the action ist pretty close to the Yamaha grand, but it's a little heavier

I'm used to the 675 so the action feels "normal" there to me. Switching to the Yamaha feels basically the same, though I have A LOT more control on the Yamaha (I think that's an acoustic vs. digital thing). Here comes the thing now: If I visit my parents and play on the C. Bechstein the first day it will be tiresome. It has the lightest action of them all, but is the hardest to play. That might sound illogical, but it's how it feels to me.

That goes aways after 1-2 days, but the reality is: A good action is what you are used to and what works for you.

FloRi89 #3020077 09/01/20 05:23 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I have wondered about this, what IS the right volume? Really high, really low, something in between?

As for the action, there is no real answer here:
- First acoustic my parents owned was a restored, really old upright. The action was insanely heavy.
- Then they bought a C. Bechstein grand from 1930 (also restored). The action there is really light, like it will react to the slightest touch. That's really hard to play actually, when I tried that intitally my dynamics where all over the place.
- And finally they also bought a Yamaha baby grand and this one has a rather heavy action
- At my home there is a Clavinova 675 for comparison, the action ist pretty close to the Yamaha grand, but it's a little heavier

I'm used to the 675 so the action feels "normal" there to me. Switching to the Yamaha feels basically the same, though I have A LOT more control on the Yamaha (I think that's an acoustic vs. digital thing). Here comes the thing now: If I visit my parents and play on the C. Bechstein the first day it will be tiresome. It has the lightest action of them all, but is the hardest to play. That might sound illogical, but it's how it feels to me.

That goes aways after 1-2 days, but the reality is: A good action is what you are used to and what works for you.[/quote]

How is normal volume?

Last edited by PlayerkaN; 09/01/20 05:27 AM.
Frédéric L #3020078 09/01/20 05:24 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
It is possible that most digital pianos feel heavy when the reference is a Piaggero. Such a keybaord has no hammers.

Perhaps one of the ligher keyboard would be a Yahama GHS (P-125), or perhaps the Casio Tri-sensor II (I am not sure they are still made, but I really disklike them because I fell the too light. I havn't try and fell the new PX-S1000 and PX-S3000)

accustom?

TexasBear #3020114 09/01/20 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by TexasBear
I've noticed this on many of the Yamaha models. I read that the XG sound set is a group of instrument sounds for MIDI compatibility. Does the quality of the XG sounds differ by model, or is it a standard across the Yamaha line? And how would you rate the quality of the sounds? My mind is thinking of video games from my 1990's Sound Blaster sound card!

They are remarkably cheesy/thin-sounding to my ear. I'd be surprised to hear of someone actually using them.

PlayerkaN #3020171 09/01/20 10:29 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
To set "normal volume":

Find an acoustic piano, and hit a few chords in the mid-range, mp-mf and FF.

. . . That's how loud your DP should be.

For DP's with weak speakers and amps (just about all "slab-format" pianos like the P515), that means putting the volume control between 3/4 and full-on.

Anything less, and you'll be training yourself to pound the keyboard.

We forget, unless we play on them regularly, that acoustic pianos are _loud_.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Charles Cohen #3020182 09/01/20 10:56 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
To set "normal volume":

Find an acoustic piano, and hit a few chords in the mid-range, mp-mf and FF.

. . . That's how loud your DP should be.

For DP's with weak speakers and amps (just about all "slab-format" pianos like the P515), that means putting the volume control between 3/4 and full-on.

Anything less, and you'll be training yourself to pound the keyboard.

We forget, unless we play on them regularly, that acoustic pianos are _loud_.

Thanks my friend, then you recommend me the volume full-on or 3/4 perfect, and with headphone, is it the same?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Big Sur and Synchron VSL
by Tozen - 01/17/21 10:00 PM
Yamaha CFX Users ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 09:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,348
Posts3,048,269
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission