2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
+1 to GC13’s post.

Kawai K500
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by GC13
Personally, I like Stu's videos and I think he usually give a fair assessment for the most part when comparing 2 pianos. I think the ideology of being completely unbiased on ANY SUBJECT or ISSUE is an illusion. I think it's almost impossible for anyone to mask their personal opinions about any given subject on any given day. Stu sells Kawai, and so it's perfectly natural for him emphasize more of the positives about their pianos in some way.

I see the same behaviors here on PW from our members who are involved in the piano industry. Those who are professionals in the piano industry always say something in their posts or videos to promote the brand that lines their pockets or to emphasize the characteristics of their brand preferences whenever there is a comparison between to brands in the discussion. I expected it, and I take that into consideration. That's honestly just natural behavior. For instance, those of us who like ABS actions will always point out the positives on that, and those who are leery of them will always say a little something to discredit them. It's natural, it's to be expected, and we should all take that into consideration when we're engaging anyone on any subject. We all have to be responsible for our own decisions in the end.
Yes, but there are those in this thread who think the video was not biased because they didn't catch things like what I pointed out. And there is a difference between stating something and saying it's an opinion versus leaving that part out. Dealers, with very few exceptions, are not the most objective about pianos for obvious reasons.

R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Yes, but there are those in this thread who think the video was not biased because they didn't catch things like what I pointed out. And there is a difference between stating something and saying it's an opinion versus leaving that part out. Dealers, with very few exceptions, are not the most objective about pianos for obvious reasons.

man....just let it go will ya. You're pointing things out in a way that feels arguably more biased than Stu.

Lets say we really we want to break down the semantics and look at the exact statement from the video:
"Although many of the harshest criticisms of the Kawai actions have actually historically come from Yamaha dealers, maybe not that surprising, Yamaha has also used synthetic plastics in their action designs as well, and that took the form of them replacing their wooden jack with an ABS plastic jack, and that was done through several models over many many years."

The use of the word "also" implies equality between the two brands and he did in fact call Yamaha "ABS" plastic as well.
As for calling Kawai synthetic materials, it would be more biased to lump the ABS-Carbon together under plastic for the same reasons you've mentioned about the stigma of plastics. Since Kawai still uses styran on their lower end pianos and the carbon reinforced plastic on other, it seems perfectly fair just to call it all as synthetic materials for brevity.

He ends that whole segment with essentially saying the two piano actions are personal preference.
"This isn't to say that some performers still may prefer the feel of a yamaha or the feel of a kawai but it really is down to a subjective preference of feel rather than any quality consideration."

I'm more interested in learning about the two companies than learning about Stu.
Was there items mentioned in that video that was just factually wrong? You mentioned that he's saying things that are opinion and presenting them as facts. Can you give some examples? Or are you saying it's an opinion that Yamaha has plastic jacks in some of their actions?

There was the whole higher tension, shorter string, thing for Yamaha scale design but is that actually false or does Yamaha use heavier strings?

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
For those wanting to discuss the plastic vs. wood action issue further, I started a thread on the WNG "plastic" action. I've always been intrigued by them and wonder what people think of them.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
Online Content
Originally Posted by rkzhao

Lets say we really we want to break down the semantics and look at the exact statement from the video:
"Although many of the harshest criticisms of the Kawai actions have actually historically come from Yamaha dealers, maybe not that surprising, Yamaha has also used synthetic plastics in their action designs as well, and that took the form of them replacing their wooden jack with an ABS plastic jack, and that was done through several models over many many years."

The use of the word "also" implies equality between the two brands and he did in fact call Yamaha "ABS" plastic as well.
As for calling Kawai synthetic materials, it would be more biased to lump the ABS-Carbon together under plastic for the same reasons you've mentioned about the stigma of plastics. Since Kawai still uses styran on their lower end pianos and the carbon reinforced plastic on other, it seems perfectly fair just to call it all as synthetic materials for brevity.

He ends that whole segment with essentially saying the two piano actions are personal preference.
"This isn't to say that some performers still may prefer the feel of a yamaha or the feel of a kawai but it really is down to a subjective preference of feel rather than any quality consideration."

I'm more interested in learning about the two companies than learning about Stu.
Was there items mentioned in that video that was just factually wrong? You mentioned that he's saying things that are opinion and presenting them as facts. Can you give some examples? Or are you saying it's an opinion that Yamaha has plastic jacks in some of their actions?

There was the whole higher tension, shorter string, thing for Yamaha scale design but is that actually false or does Yamaha use heavier strings?
Originally Posted by rkzhao

man....just let it go will ya. You're pointing things out in a way that feels arguably more biased than Stu.

One final time...I don't intend to go back and listen to the video again, but I don't think the dealer ever used "plastic" when talking about Kawai but he did use that word, whether in combination with another word or not, when referring to Yamaha. It's quite simple.

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Personally, I like Stu's videos and I think he usually give a fair assessment for the most part when comparing 2 pianos.

2nd

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 08/28/20 03:28 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
... I don't think the dealer ever used "plastic" when talking about Kawai but he did use that word, whether in combination with another word or not, when referring to Yamaha. It's quite simple.

If that’s the Case - Perhaps You should write Stu a Strongly worded letter

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I just saw a movie (The Wizard of Lies ) about Bernie Madoff .
There was scene in a restaurant (social setting ), a jazz band performing super cool music .The piano was.......no not a Yamaha or Steinways,but a Kawai.
I am not sure that is complimentary or not .,I would say not .
A weird coincidence., The movie is a compelling story of a brilliant,schrewd sociopath who ruined people.

Seems like you may be inferring way too much from the use of any piano brand in one restaurant scene. To infer that use was complimentary or derogatory is quite a stretch.
I am not inferring anything dogperson,but perhaps you were?
Although I have watched a few movies , I do not think i have ever seen a Kawai in a movie scene before that's all .It often is a Yamaha, or Steinways.
Still it was interesting to watch the scene of a man who quibbled about the slightest details of his banquet and his
"friends" comfort.( many of whom were ruined by this popular man)
I suppose it was just a shock for me to suddenly see the word Kawai on the fallboard of that piano at that moment.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/28/20 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Personally, I like Stu's videos and I think he usually give a fair assessment for the most part when comparing 2 pianos.
2nd

~Lucubrate

Stu's awesome. When I commented on his first YouTube review of the Kawai GL10 and complained the action was heavy, he graciously responded by suggesting I get the key bushings eased. I did, and it helped, and it also set me on the road to constantly tweaking my pianos to get the action/sound I want. So I guess I partially have Stu to thank/blame for where I'm at now. Plus, he has nice hair.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
There was scene in a restaurant (social setting ), a jazz band performing super cool music .The piano was.......no not a Yamaha or Steinways,but a Kawai.

Product placement. Paid for by the sponsoring company. Used all the time in TV and movies. Basically if you can see a brand name in the shot it is on purpose.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Stu's awesome.... Plus, he has nice hair.

I agree - Particularly about the Hair

I’ve posted several of His videos here on PW, & will continue to do so

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WBLynch

Product placement. Paid for by the sponsoring company. Used all the time in TV and movies. Basically if you can see a brand name in the shot it is on purpose.

WBLynch - I'm sorry, this is not correct. One of the reasons that Kawai is seen so much less on TV is because we never pay to have pianos placed!

When you see a Kawai on TV or elsewhere, it is either that someone really wanted it, or it was already on location and was convenient.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Ooooh he put the Yamaha SX series in line with the Kawai GX, and he put the Yamaha CX series in line with the Kawai GL series, he's not playing ball nicely there!

I agree. That was one reason for my comment earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Hmmm....

The best way to say this is - he is a fine Kawai salesman.

There were other things as well, but that was a big stand out for me.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Can someone explain to me what a higher tension scale design or a lower tension scale design is? Honestly I hear this said quite often and it's never actually been explained to me adequately, or what difference it makes.
All else equal, a longer string vibrates at a lower frequency than a shorter one.

All else equal, a larger diameter string vibrates at a lower frequency than a thinner diameter string

All else equal, a string under lower tension vibrates at a lower frequency than one under higher tension.

A scale design involves deciding which strings are copper-wound, and which are not, and deciding on the string length, string diameters, and resulting string tension that will produce the required tuned frequency.

All else equal, a high tension design will produce a brighter tonal color and greater clarity of voices, but less tonal sustain, while a lower tension design will have a warmer/darker tonal color, less clarity of voices, but more tonal sustain.

Hammer voicing and soundboard design are also factors, so all else is never equal, which is why you cannot buy a piano based on technical specifications.

Among pianos I've played, I've tended to have a preference for Yamaha grands over Kawai grands, and a preference for Kawai uprights over Yamaha uprights.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
To me it sounds as there is no Kawai comparison to the Yamaha SX ? I mean if the Shigeru relates. to the CF series ?
To me the CX is a good comparison to the GX.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/01/20 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Online Content
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Can someone explain to me what a higher tension scale design or a lower tension scale design is? Honestly I hear this said quite often and it's never actually been explained to me adequately, or what difference it makes.
All else equal, a longer string vibrates at a lower frequency than a shorter one.

All else equal, a larger diameter string vibrates at a lower frequency than a thinner diameter string

All else equal, a string under lower tension vibrates at a lower frequency than one under higher tension.

A scale design involves deciding which strings are copper-wound, and which are not, and deciding on the string length, string diameters, and resulting string tension that will produce the required tuned frequency.

All else equal, a high tension design will produce a brighter tonal color and greater clarity of voices, but less tonal sustain, while a lower tension design will have a warmer/darker tonal color, less clarity of voices, but more tonal sustain.

Hammer voicing and soundboard design are also factors, so all else is never equal, which is why you cannot buy a piano based on technical specifications.
Very interesting and clearly expressed. OTOH it seems like the above analysis is not so useful because for a piano of a given length and corresponding string length, if one uses a lower tension string something else would would have to change to get the proper pitch so "all else equal" would never apply?

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
Originally Posted by WBLynch

WBLynch - I'm sorry, this is not correct. One of the reasons that Kawai is seen so much less on TV is because we never pay to have pianos placed!

When you see a Kawai on TV or elsewhere, it is either that someone really wanted it, or it was already on location and was convenient.
The piano sounded great with that jazz band !

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Editorials share an opinion and use evidence (good or bad) to support that opinion. But the opinion is clearly stated. If you are not open or interested in that opinion, it's easy to skip.

A biased comparison buried in a history lesson is going for a more subtle, sophisticated approach at subversion. wink

I love playing devil's advocate; I could really have some fun making videos on the merits of some defunct piano company. laugh

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hmmm....

I do like Stu's videos. I wonder if a salesman is a dealer of a particular brand, and they wind up playing those a lot, if they develop an acoustic bias? I have a Kawai RX-5 and I have noticed that I lean that way now tone wise.

Marcus

Marcus Valdes

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mivaldes
Hmmm....

I do like Stu's videos. I wonder if a salesman is a dealer of a particular brand, and they wind up playing those a lot, if they develop an acoustic bias? I have a Kawai RX-5 and I have noticed that I lean that way now tone wise.

Marcus

As opposed to Robert Estrin who is a great piano salesman for every piano he carries. I do love watching his reviews.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission