2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 191 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 190 191
M
M
Originally Posted by Michael Kawai CA79
I think it is nice to be able to start playing almost immediately.

...but only after you closed the hinges, I might add!

(All in good fun, 9190.)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
wink Actually, initially I did not plan to develop this topic, it happened as the discussion proceeded. As for the hinges (grin), they are not so important to me as the properly lowered top of the keyboard cover. ) Here is the crucial point. Attention to detail, striving for excellence is part of how my teachers educated me at a music school, college, academy. Every little thing in this business is important if you are a professional.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Moreover the sound is distorted (overload clipping?) in the video. Otherwise the review was fine.

Yeah bad mic setup probably, soundboard loudness and vibrations are troublesome to record.
But when in such review there is claim of unlimited polyphony when it clearly is not then it's not trustworthy anymore. Too big of a mistake to make, and not the only one.

Roland LX708
G
G
Hi Folks,

sorry always very OVEREXITED if it comes to new KAWAI reviews :-).

Like his enthusiams ;-).

Galuwen

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
It takes some time for the cumputer controlled parts (i.e. rendering engine and touchscreen) to get ready. But the sampled sounds and amplifier can get ready in seconds. Kawai simply give the opportunity to start playing almost immediately when the sampled piano is loaded and the amplifier is on. And after nearly a minute or so, the rendering engine kicks in and the touchscreen lights up. I think it is nice to be able to start playing almost immediately.

Yep. We had someone who modified their NV-10 to remove the touchscreen and put in a TTY-like keyboard interface (it was odd and wild, I'll tell you) to control the piano instead, and that thing was so fast that the interface booted up faster than the sound engine could, which is the opposite of the factory situation!

The reason the sound changes is because the touch interface controls the settings, and it can only send any defaults or presets or startup settings to the sound engine after it's finished loading (the sound engine has its own bootup defaults that don't necessarily correspond to anything else).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
M
Originally Posted by Parkher
A comment from that youtube review:

"I tried the ca99 and even away from the back wall about 1 foot, it still had a boxy sound vs the cleaner more open ca79".

Yes, ca99 sounds rather boxy to me too - especially in the mid-range.
But here in this thread, I read that ca99 sounds way better than ca79, the richness of the sound and how it fills up the room, especially when you are listening when away from the piano. It seems reasonable to me, though, that ca79 should sound cleaner. A soundboard has to add distortions.

But what is the best distance from the wall to minimize that boxy sound?
Unfortunately, I attached the wall mount of my AiO computer too low, and now I now longer can move the piano more than 18 cm from the wall, or much closer too.

I placed the CA-99 in two different rooms (the first piano has been replaced and I made them placing the new piano on a different place).

The first room is rectangular, around 1,8x2,7 metres: the piano sounded quite balanced, maybe just a little bit dull, but I was quite pleased with it
The second room is squared, around 3,8x4,2 metres: the piano sounds completely flat, boxy, bass too loud and treble not bright enough. A disaster.
Likely playing with EQ, the problem can be solved. I will give back the piano because of other problems, so I will not play with the EQ.

I think the soundboard is a great idea, but it creates more issues than strenghts for the piano

W
W
I'm having trouble connecting my CA79 to my MacBook using the USB port to use with Pianoteq. I previously had a CA67 that I had no problem with. I also have a Casio Privia that I also used with the same MacBook and USB cable, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the CA79. Is there a MIDI setting that I need to change in order for my MacBook/Pianoteq to receive input from the CA79? Anyone here have success using Pianoteq with their CA79/CA99?

Thanks!

Last edited by winterwind_23; 08/29/20 11:09 AM.
P
P
Hello everyone! I bought the CA99 2 month ago in france at bordeaux, and i have the problem of the white noise, probably coming from the front tweeters.
Is anybody solved the problem himself or with the help of a kawai technician ?

Thanks

H
H
Originally Posted by Pablito27
Hello everyone! I bought the CA99 2 month ago in france at bordeaux, and i have the problem of the white noise, probably coming from the front tweeters.

Thanks
Hello,

I encounter the same issues with my brand new CA79. It totally robs the joy when playing without headphones. Especially in that price range it’s strange that those issues occur so often. If the Action wasn’t that superb to any other DP I played I would return it, but since I love the action I want to solve the Problem. Has anyone solved this problems yet?

Greetings
Henri

Last edited by Henri79; 08/30/20 11:04 AM.
O
O
Originally Posted by markillo
Originally Posted by Parkher
A comment from that youtube review:

"I tried the ca99 and even away from the back wall about 1 foot, it still had a boxy sound vs the cleaner more open ca79".

Yes, ca99 sounds rather boxy to me too - especially in the mid-range.
But here in this thread, I read that ca99 sounds way better than ca79, the richness of the sound and how it fills up the room, especially when you are listening when away from the piano. It seems reasonable to me, though, that ca79 should sound cleaner. A soundboard has to add distortions.

But what is the best distance from the wall to minimize that boxy sound?
Unfortunately, I attached the wall mount of my AiO computer too low, and now I now longer can move the piano more than 18 cm from the wall, or much closer too.

I placed the CA-99 in two different rooms (the first piano has been replaced and I made them placing the new piano on a different place).

The first room is rectangular, around 1,8x2,7 metres: the piano sounded quite balanced, maybe just a little bit dull, but I was quite pleased with it
The second room is squared, around 3,8x4,2 metres: the piano sounds completely flat, boxy, bass too loud and treble not bright enough. A disaster.
Likely playing with EQ, the problem can be solved. I will give back the piano because of other problems, so I will not play with the EQ.

I think the soundboard is a great idea, but it creates more issues than strenghts for the piano

Maybe some acoustic foam to reduce/eliminate the problem ?!

T
T
It looks like the CA99 may be my next DP. My dealer only has one unit in at a time, so it would be the floor model. He offered $4500 plus taxes. In another thread, it was mentioned that is a high price. How about $4000 out the door? What would you pay?

There appears to be a lot of QC problems reading through this thread. Did I miss any?
1) Rattling vibration noise from low end?
2) White noise?
3) Boxy sound?

P
P
Some keys are clicking test them when you receive the piano

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Thanks

Originally Posted by Henri79
I encounter the same issues with my brand new CA79. It totally robs the joy when playing without headphones. Especially in that price range it’s strange that those issues occur so often. If the Action wasn’t that superb to any other DP I played I would return it, but since I love the action I want to solve the Problem. Has anyone solved this problems yet?

May I ask you to confirm the version of the Firmware running on your instruments, please?
(shown via the following process: top right MENU --> System --> Information [CHECK])

The current firmware is v1.0.8. If your instruments are using an older version, please update to the latest version.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
H
Hello James,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is the current firmware.

Greetings
Henri

D
D
Wish kawai had made the Ca99 at least 5cm taller and then my sheetmusic would not keep flopping backwards even when I use my iPad pro 12.9" it slides forward at the bottom and could easily fall off the the music rest.

Did look at buying the NV5 which is probably better for holding sheet music due to its height, but when playing headphones the action is to noisey which I think kills the whole idea of playing silently .

Last edited by daz100; 08/31/20 05:23 AM.

Kawai CA99PE,True keys American,Ivory Grand pianos, Pianoteq 8 and Ravenscroft
T
T
And did anyone notice the touchscreen in the video review looks like it was wiped down with a dirty dishrag???

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
M
M
Very satisfied with my SW Kawai CA99, but . . .

Anyone had a problem with the updating process? I’ve successfully updated the UI and the Touch Panel System (from the posterior USB port) but when I try to update the Firmware it says “File not found”. Very frustrating 😩

Roland FP-7
Kawai CA99
P
P
Yes i did it in july and nothing changed

Aldo when i use other instruments like electric piano this white noise doesn't appears

T
T
Daz100, that is strange that Kawai would design the music rest this way. I haven't sat in front of one yet, but I can now see what you are talking about from the photos.

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
Originally Posted by Henri79
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is the current firmware.

Yes i did it in july and nothing changed

Okay, thank you for confirming this point.

I will check the situation with my colleagues in R&D and send you both a PM.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 62 of 191 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission