2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (accordeur, AJB, anamnesis, Abdol, 8ude, Adem, Alex C, 18 invisible), 930 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 114 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 113 114
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
So kawai is non folded? What is difference?
Yes Kawai Grand Feel and RMIII are not folded. (But AHA IV is folded).

The factual difference : The hammers are above the key on the opposite side of the fulcrum. Not under the key But what is more interesting is how they feel and you have to test them yourself. It can be subjective : I have no trouble with high-end Yamaha folded keyboard and I can’t say they are inferior than Grand Feel. (But inferior than Avant Grand).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/26/20 12:12 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by mwf
So kawai is non folded? What is difference? Is kawai longer key sticks? Don't fully understand.

It's just how they build the lever. There's nothing wrong with a "folded" action, but it's undeniably more complex than a simple lever, which is how an acoustic piano's keysticks work. Kawai's higher end wooden key actions use a long (unfolded) wooden keystick that tilts on a central balance rail. They're quite well-regarded as realistic feeling. For manufacturers that offer both folded and non-folded actions, the folded ones are used in more lower to mid-tier actions, and longer wooden keystick actions are used in higher end actions (see Kawai, Casio). In the case of Yamaha/Roland, they don't currently have full-length wooden key actions, so they use folded actions (some of which have wooden parts) in everything from their lowest to highest end action, short of the AvantGrand.

Originally Posted by Otavio
In the 775 preview bonners video, he said that in 700.series,the keys are easy to play near fallboard and the black keys are more balanced with white keys.
Don't know if this is related to the length of the stick

I think what this means is--if Grandtouch-S, the black keys are "longer" since they are staggered back, and thus are also more balanced with the white keys, so technically both are true at least for the sharps smile

Last edited by Gombessa; 08/26/20 12:14 PM.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think what this means is--if Grandtouch-S, the black keys are "longer" since they are staggered back, and thus are also more balanced with the white keys, so technically both are true at least for the sharps

Yep taking a page out of Roland Hybrid Grand Keyboard in the LX706 and LX708 pianos. I found both Roland PHA-50 and Hybrid Grand Keyboard actions very enjoyable to play. Will be fun to test out the new Yamaha models when I can.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I heard yamaha uses full length key sticks, longest in any dp, in their grandtouch...

"The greater length of GrandTouch keys give the player MORE leverage, allowing for better expressive control, even at the backs of the keys. This is the same support length found on the Yamaha S3X premium grand piano (as of April 2017), and is the longest support length used on any digital piano."

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, they claim it’s the longest in town, but I wonder if they’re talking about pivot length/distance rather than the length of the entire key?

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
@Gombessa : I don’t think it is more complex.

On a folded action, the hammer has a pivot point. The key pushes directly one side of the hammer, which lifts the heavy part of the hammer at the other side of the pivot.

That’s it.

On an unfolded action, there are two parts too : the keystick and the hammer.

The folded action is mostly chosen because it is more compact. And the unfolded action is more comparable in the principle with the grand action. (The feeling mais s another thing).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/26/20 01:59 PM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
So would grandtouch on a clp 685 or 775 for example be much improvement over my yamaha cp4 or a p515? If all actions are shortish folded actions? Kawai definetly is with its gf3 action as its clearly a long stick you can feel and its easier to play softly... On my cp4 its more difficult to play softly as you like due to its sudden click as I were in place, hard to explain, just not as balanced, it's more press or not press, not much in between that is achievable with mic control to achieve the sound you want.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
This should clear up any confusion with the GrandTouch and such:

https://youtu.be/CmUh9MTY4Yo

You’re welcome!

9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Great info! ) There's also an article with lots of pictures:
https://post.smzdm.com/p/672119/

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 9190
Today, in one of the official Yamaha groups in one of the social networks, where the new CLP-700 series was described, I came across a fragment that was not mentioned in other official materials:

"Improved timbres and binaural sampling of Yamaha CFX and Bosendorfer Imperial grand pianos by adding additional layers of samples. This makes it possible to extract a greater dynamic range, from soft delicate pianissimo to powerful energetic fortissimo".
The binaural sample on my P-515 is a single layer sample, which is the reason why I switch to the five layer stereo sample even when using headphones.

So additional binaural sample layers are a welcome change.

Yamaha P-515
O
O
Originally Posted by 9190
Today, in one of the official Yamaha groups in one of the social networks, where the new CLP-700 series was described, I came across a fragment that was not mentioned in other official materials:

"Improved timbres and binaural sampling of Yamaha CFX and Bosendorfer Imperial grand pianos by adding additional layers of samples. This makes it possible to extract a greater dynamic range, from soft delicate pianissimo to powerful energetic fortissimo".

Very nice upgrade.
It seems that Yamaha did a nice improvement in this CLP 700, at least on paper.

J
J
How long is the grandtouch on CLP 700 comapred to the 600 series?

Owner of Roland LX-705 LA, But fan of Kawai
T
T
It seems the 785 is not available yet. At Thomann I can see the range only up to the 775. Besides, the price of 775 is very close to that of the NU1X. Unless there are some features that make sensible difference, I see no reason to go for the 775 or 785. I wish they did not cancel the Musikmesse as it used to be the perfect place where one can play all the pianos. Guess the next year’s one will be postponed, too...

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JackQ89

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
@Gombessa : I don’t think it is more complex.

On a folded action, the hammer has a pivot point. The key pushes directly one side of the hammer, which lifts the heavy part of the hammer at the other side of the pivot.

That’s it.

On an unfolded action, there are two parts too : the keystick and the hammer.

The folded action is mostly chosen because it is more compact. And the unfolded action is more comparable in the principle with the grand action. (The feeling mais s another thing).

I think we're saying slightly different things. In terms of physics and levers, yes they may be equivalent. But in reality, I think folded action typically IS more complex. You need a hinge (sometimes lubricated) for the key on a folded action. You might have a leaf spring on some actions to help with key return. The hammer might be actuated up closer to the fallboard, or right by the keyslip, and might be facing different directions. The sensors may be tripped directly by the keys, or by the hammer shank. The hammer might be captured, or free-flying. You often need a foam strip and a hook at the front of the key to dampen the key return, etc.

On an unfolded action, you could technically have many of these variances, but you rarely do. It's usually just a long keystick on balance rail and a hammer on the other side.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
J
J
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by JackQ89

I don't speak japanese.. I will glad for some translations, subtitles, thanks

Owner of Roland LX-705 LA, But fan of Kawai
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
More possible option doesn’t make it more complex by itself.

But some features can make a given implementation more complex. The possibly to change easily a GH (Yamaha) key probably makes the design more complex.

Yes, hinge can be more complex, but molded pieces could be cheaper to produce than wooden keysticks (but now, with wooden folded keyboards, we have some complex pieces to make.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/27/20 01:47 PM.

O
O

I really liked what i hear, sound less boxy than previous generations.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
That guy is Graham Blackledge, he was on Britain's Got Talent playing the organ, he was hilarious. He should have been a standup comedian.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
R
R
Originally Posted by Otavio

I really liked what i hear, sound less boxy than previous generations.
Yeah, honestly I couldn’t care less about counterweight or whatever small difference there is in action or other areas, I’m pretty sure I can adapt quite quickly to any of these actions. At the end of the day I have to play this thing and enjoy it, and to me there is NOTHING that sounds as good as Yamaha pianos for the type of music I play. If you are purely into classical music then Kawai is a good choice too, but for me, it’s not even close. The sound of the Yamaha is just too good, modern and unique to give up. Unless someone comes out with a product that is vastly better or radically cheaper, I’m never gonna change to something else.

Page 26 of 114 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 113 114

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,828
Posts3,205,830
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission